Not A Member Yet? See All The Features Of The Forum By Clicking Here To Register For FREE! Or Members Login Below:

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Cyprus Eastern Forum Index
Offering Free Help, Advice, Tips & Support for those buying or living in:
Paralimni - Protaras - Pernera - Kapparis - Agia Napa - Larnaca - Oroklini - Pervolia - Kiti - Xylofagou
Vrysoulles - Frenaros - Dherynia - Sotira - Agia Thekla - Liopetri - Ormidia & surrounding areas...

Main Homepage Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Register Directory Memberlist Search

Ads By Forum Sponsors  

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » Pets & Animal Welfare In Cyprus » Looking for affordable spaying/neutering Goto page 1, 2  Next
Looking for affordable spaying/neutering 
Post: #1   PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 1:08 pm Reply with quote
Stephanie9119
Pictures: 0

I have two cats that are going to need to get spayed/neutered eventually ( kittens right now). Everyone I call in the area is charging 70-90Ä! If you know of any vets in the area that offer affordable neutering/spaying on the island please leave a comment. Thank you.
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Hide These Ads? Register for Free or Login

Post: #2   PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 2:55 pm Reply with quote
jeba

There is a facebook group "friends of Larnaca cats". You might want to contact them. Isnīt there even a new government program which gives vouchers for neutering stray cats? The district vet office should know.
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel
Re: Looking for affordable spaying/neutering 
Post: #3   PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 3:39 pm Reply with quote
madmum

Stephanie9119 wrote:
I have two cats that are going to need to get spayed/neutered eventually ( kittens right now). Everyone I call in the area is charging 70-90Ä! If you know of any vets in the area that offer affordable neutering/spaying on the island please leave a comment. Thank you.

are they boys or girls?? vets in paralimni charge 70 so thing thats average price girls are a lot more

are they ferals or your own pets? is a charity shop in kapparis called helping hands that sell neutering vouchers. BUT only for ferals & ask if your own cats as not there to pay for peoples pets. we had 5 ferals done last time a government scheme was on. but think that is only for ferals too

how old are the kittens? if either are girls then told can get pregnant from 3 months. altho vets dont like doing them till 4 months & boys from 6 months

while is best to get boys done or will be spraying in house & roaming far & fighting obviously if girls not done you will end up with more kittens

also at our vets as its mating season there is a 1 month wait for neutering so need to book ASAP.

Post: #4   PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 4:11 pm Reply with quote
Stephanie9119

The kittens are only 2.5 weeks old, going on 3 maybe. The feral mama cat brought them to our front door step. We like to keep them, and fix all them and some strays around the house.

Post: #5   PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 4:47 pm Reply with quote
madmum

Stephanie9119 wrote:
The kittens are only 2.5 weeks old, going on 3 maybe. The feral mama cat brought them to our front door step. We like to keep them, and fix all them and some strays around the house.

OK so basically ferals then so can get vouchers from helping hands. if you know kapparis at all there is roundabout where zorbas bakery is. go up the hill and its on right before metro. our situation was similar, ended up feeding around 20 in garden. some very friendly & come in house but to me technically still ferals. best to find out which vet you want to use & get appointment as they put vets name on voucher. and go in shop a week or so before you need them as only 1 lady can do them & only there i think 2 mornings. think we paid 15 euro & then have to pay vet 10 euro for a long lasting anti-biotic we also paid 5 euro to get 1 kitten wormed as was very small & skinny

Post: #6   PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:48 pm Reply with quote
CyprusForMe
Location: Having escaped the near-death experience of Sofia Bulgaria, happily living in Frenaros

See Ceilia at Helping Hands on Mondays. She may be there other days, but I am certain she is there on Mondays - not sure exactly what time, but I know she is there until 1pm at least. The vouchers now cost 15 euros for males and 20 for females. Then you will have to pay another 20 euros (approx) at the vet. Your choices for vets are Tassos or MedVets. You can get the vouchers anytime as they are valid for 1 year, but you need to know which vet you will use when you get the voucher. Then when it is time, make an appointment with the vet and give them the voucher.

Post: #7   PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:35 pm Reply with quote
Stephanie9119

Thank you very much, this is the information I needed.

Post: #8   PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 8:29 am Reply with quote
pipkins

I am probably going to get blasted for saying this but isn't it funny how everyone wants something for nothing in this world. Ok so they were feral cats but on your own admission they are no longer. Take responsibility and pay the going rate - those of us who are honest decent people do so why don't you?

Hide These Ads? Register for Free or Login

Post: #9   PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 9:00 am Reply with quote
madmum

pipkins wrote:
I am probably going to get blasted for saying this but isn't it funny how everyone wants something for nothing in this world. Ok so they were feral cats but on your own admission they are no longer. Take responsibility and pay the going rate - those of us who are honest decent people do so why don't you?

half agree with you & i felt the same when read opening post. but the lady is planning on also getting other cats done as well. when does a feral stop being feral & belong to you? have around 6 of the lot of around 20 we feed twice a day that are friendly & come in house often. but not really ours. just realise they have found someone who cares about them. even with vouchers it cost me 30 euro at vets. and once you start it doesnt end there. 1 kitten cost me 120 in vets bills as had cat flu twice. my own 3 cats & 2 dogs that we brought from uk were neutered & vacinated when young at a lot higher cost than here.
sure most of the ďcrazy catĒ. people didnt want to end up with so many. moved in to house & was 2 cats that were used to being fed. gradually increased as others turned up. some say cats are sort of psychic & feel who loves them. had 2 mums came seperate times with kittens then went leaving kittens here.

Post: #10   PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 3:30 pm Reply with quote
CyprusForMe
Location: Having escaped the near-death experience of Sofia Bulgaria, happily living in Frenaros

pipkins wrote:

I think you are being very harsh.

The OP is not asking for something for nothing, she is asking for assistance to help with what is essentially a social problem that the Cyprus government refuses to deal with. The OP is looking for assistance with the cost of spaying and neutering cats that do not really belong to her. If the Cyprus government had a spay and neuter program the country would not be inundated with feral cats and unwanted dogs and the OP and others like her (including myself and all the volunteers at the pounds and animal sanctuaries) would not need to spend our time and money caring for unwanted cats and dogs.

The OP is doing the right thing to spay and neuter these cats and thereby she is assisting in not increasing the feral cat population in Cyprus and I applaud her. She is taking on some of the expense of the spaying and neutering and all of the expenses of the food and other care, which is way more that what most people are willing to do.

And before you get on my case, I volunteer with rehoming dogs and fostering kittens. I give my time freely, but I do incur expenses for petrol, food, and cat litter - that is my choice. What assistance I get with veterinary bills is greatly appreciated. Other people who do the same for the animals express the same gratitude. I also appreciate the care that the local vets offer as they often do not charge for small things like a check-up or an antibiotic injection.

So instead of giving the OP grief, I suggest you channel your energy elsewhere and volunteer at the pound or an animal sanctuary or at Helping Hands.

Post: #11   PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 4:16 pm Reply with quote
madmum

CyprusForMe wrote:
pipkins wrote:

The OP is not asking for something for nothing, she is asking for assistance to help with what is essentially a social problem that the Cyprus government refuses to deal with. The OP is looking for assistance with the cost of spaying and neutering cats that do not really belong to her. If the Cyprus government had a spay and neuter program the country would not be inundated with feral cats and unwanted dogs and the OP and others like her (including myself and all the volunteers at the pounds and animal sanctuaries) would not need to spend our time and money caring for unwanted cats and dogs.

The OP is doing the right thing to spay and neuter these cats and thereby she is assisting in not increasing the feral cat population in Cyprus and I applaud her. She is taking on some of the expense of the spaying and neutering and all of the expenses of the food and other care, which is way more that what most people are willing to do.

And before you get on my case, I volunteer with rehoming dogs and fostering kittens. I give my time freely, but I do incur expenses for petrol, food, and cat litter - that is my choice. What assistance I get with veterinary bills is greatly appreciated. Other people who do the same for the animals express the same gratitude. I also appreciate the care that the local vets offer as they often do not charge for small things like a check-up or an antibiotic injection.

So instead of giving the OP grief, I suggest you channel your energy elsewhere and volunteer at the pound or an animal sanctuary or at Helping Hands.

Very well put. Like this lady we could have left the kittens outside risking them not surviving & if they did to go on & breed many many more kittens. But no we help them. & without wanting to scare the OP these kittens wonít be the last she adopts. Sure they tell the others go to number xx. For dinner was once numerous cats living by bins at end of road now only a few. Rest are living in my garden

Post: #12   PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 5:12 pm Reply with quote
Woodrow Why?at

pipkins wrote:

And you deserve to get blasted! Evil or Very Mad

In only your second post in almost seven years you choose to criticise a caring person who was simply asking advice about affordable vet care!

It has nothing whatsoever to do with 'everyone wanting something for nothing' but more somebody happy to do the right thing (unlike so many on this Island) and querying where they may do so at a reasonable cost!

One hopes that your third post, if and when you make it, is better considered and far more charitable! Cool

Post: #13   PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 5:12 pm Reply with quote
scottie

madmum wrote:
CyprusForMe wrote:
pipkins wrote:

Very well put. Like this lady we could have left the kittens outside risking them not surviving & if they did to go on & breed many many more kittens. But no we help them. & without wanting to scare the OP these kittens wonít be the last she adopts. Sure they tell the others go to number xx. For dinner was once numerous cats living by bins at end of road now only a few. Rest are living in my garden

Very laudable but I bet I'm not the only one thinking , thank goodness you don't live next door to me . My worst nightmare . If you want to feed them you should do so some distance from where others are living . Humans deserve consideration too you know
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Post: #14   PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 5:25 pm Reply with quote
Woodrow Why?at

scottie wrote:
madmum wrote:
CyprusForMe wrote:
pipkins wrote:

Very laudable but I bet I'm not the only one thinking , thank goodness you don't live next door to me . My worst nightmare . If you want to feed them you should do so some distance from where others are living . Humans deserve consideration too you know

Yes madmum, you really should teach all those feral cats to stay at the end of the road and not come round to your house when you put food out for your own! Rolling Eyes Laughing

And once you've achieved that, perhaps you could go on and help solve the 'Cyprus Problem' Laughing Laughing

P.S. You can live next door to me anytime! Wink

Post: #15   PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 5:46 pm Reply with quote
pipkins

In answer to Woodrow wyatt and Cyprus for me, I too am allowed an opinion and maybe it is for the reason as such as both your replies that I do not partake in commenting very often.

I have taken on many many feral cats as my own and indeed have done much charitable work for the animals here in Cyprus. Maybe I am just fed up with reading and hearing of expats demanding ďlocal pricesĒ and trying to abuse the system and thus giving the rest of us a bad name.

I wish all the luck to stephanie and that she enjoys her new additions to her family!

Finally I do hope you two especially enjoy this, my third post and thanks for caring enough to work that one out!

Join Us Today! Register for Free or Login

Post: #16   PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 5:50 pm Reply with quote
scottie

Woodrow Why?at wrote:
scottie wrote:
madmum wrote:
CyprusForMe wrote:
pipkins wrote:

Yes madmum, you really should teach all those feral cats to stay at the end of the road and not come round to your house when you put food out for your own! Rolling Eyes Laughing

And once you've achieved that, perhaps you could go on and help solve the 'Cyprus Problem' Laughing Laughing

P.S. You can live next door to me anytime! Wink

If one has an allergy to cats fur to the extent it has in the past rendered them unconscious , I say .........keep away from cats . Simples .
I will not apologise for the fact that if someone was attracting hoards of cats around my house I certainly would not be happy .
Where the Cyprus problem comes into it I don't know , unless you have been on the swally

Post: #17   PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 6:07 pm Reply with quote
madmum

would take too long to reply by quote on each post

firstly why would it affect my neighbours?? its my sunbeds & patio chairs these cats are sitting on not theirs. they rarely go in anyone elses gardens.
plus both sides are rental properties & not occupied much

I do not feed my own cats outside. they are pets and part of the family so why would i. just they are now joined inside by around 6 of the friendlier ferals.
in fact my opposite neighbour fed cats long before we moved here. but went back to Scandinavia for 5 months in the winter & "his" cats joined us.

how are people expecting "locals" benefits. very few cypriots neuter their cats even when free. the trap release neuter program is operated by lots of nationality's. in protaras it is mainly english. in ayia napa has english, russian & cypriots doing it.

helping hands is run by english ladys so not just for locals. think they will also help with other vets bills but never used it. luckily for ferals have not had a bill more than 60 euro. its my pampered dogs give me the big vets bills

and lastly for all those on here that dislike these cats surely you must admit that when cats are neutered there will be less of them to annoy you

i

Post: #18   PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 7:02 pm Reply with quote
scottie

madmum wrote:
would take too long to reply by quote on each post

firstly why would it affect my neighbours?? its my sunbeds & patio chairs these cats are sitting on not theirs. they rarely go in anyone elses gardens.
plus both sides are rental properties & not occupied much

I do not feed my own cats outside. they are pets and part of the family so why would i. just they are now joined inside by around 6 of the friendlier ferals.
in fact my opposite neighbour fed cats long before we moved here. but went back to Scandinavia for 5 months in the winter & "his" cats joined us.

how are people expecting "locals" benefits. very few cypriots neuter their cats even when free. the trap release neuter program is operated by lots of nationality's. in protaras it is mainly english. in ayia napa has english, russian & cypriots doing it.

helping hands is run by english ladys so not just for locals. think they will also help with other vets bills but never used it. luckily for ferals have not had a bill more than 60 euro. its my pampered dogs give me the big vets bills

and lastly for all those on here that dislike these cats surely you must admit that when cats are neutered there will be less of them to annoy you

i

They don't annoy me , other than last year when we had such a vicious specimen around we could not let the dog out in the back garden , they simply make me ill.
Why is it whenever topic like this come up they are so confrontational. One should be able to say the don't want cats , particularly toms , roaming around their house , without bringing the wrath of God down on their head. It also seems that the differentials between locals and " us " comes into the equation . People are people some have their animals speyed and some don't , both sides. Much in the same way that very few of us pay for a dog license irrespective of race

Post: #19   PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 7:54 pm Reply with quote
madmum

Yes thatís fair enough if you are allergic to them or they attack your dogs. Funny Iíve never seen an aggressive Tom here. Most are scared of people

Ok if they donít want them speyed but you keep bitch indoors when in season & not let out to roam & have lots of litters. Unless sure can find homes for
But cats unless itís an indoor cat are different. Will have kittens every couple of months which end up as ferals no one wants.
Did see a chart showing how many kittens 1 cat is responsible for over 2 years & itís shocking

Post: #20   PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 8:39 pm Reply with quote
scottie

madmum wrote:
Yes thatís fair enough if you are allergic to them or they attack your dogs. Funny Iíve never seen an aggressive Tom here. Most are scared of people

Ok if they donít want them speyed but you keep bitch indoors when in season & not let out to roam & have lots of litters. Unless sure can find homes for
But cats unless itís an indoor cat are different. Will have kittens every couple of months which end up as ferals no one wants.
Did see a chart showing how many kittens 1 cat is responsible for over 2 years & itís shocking

Yes I saw that too, can't remember the figures but they were astounding . I only have a male dog who has been " done" and never leave his poo around lol , just have this thing with cats lol
Looking for affordable spaying/neutering 
  Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » Pets & Animal Welfare In Cyprus