Not A Member Yet? See All The Features Of The Forum By Clicking Here To Register For FREE! Or Members Login Below:

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Cyprus Eastern Forum Index
Offering Free Help, Advice, Tips & Support for those buying or living in:
Paralimni - Protaras - Pernera - Kapparis - Agia Napa - Larnaca - Oroklini - Pervolia - Kiti - Xylofagou
Vrysoulles - Frenaros - Dherynia - Sotira - Agia Thekla - Liopetri - Ormidia & surrounding areas...

Main Homepage Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Register Directory Memberlist Search

Ads By Forum Sponsors

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » Restaurants / Bars & Clubs in the Paralimni Area » Such a shame - Gateway to India
Such a shame - Gateway to India 
Post: #1   PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:11 am Reply with quote
billibob
Pictures: 0

Went recently to the Gateway to India in Dhyrenia. I usually give a restaurant a 2nd try if the 1st time wasnít up to my expectations but in this case, unfortunately, that will not be happening. We were the only ones there yet it took an hour and a half before we were eating our main course. Whilst itís nice to chat to the owner occasionally, I found him talking at us for lengthy periods of time intrusive and boring.

The menuís main course was limited in choice and the heat coding was all over the place, sometimes Madras was coded 2 chillis, sometimes 3 and the Vindaloo was coded less than the Madras!

The dips with the poppadum starters were inedible Ė mango chutney was so hard you couldnít cut through it with a knife, and the mint dip was more like mint sauce you serve with a lamb roast. The other starters didnít arrive but did appear shortly after the main course arrived, apparently a miscommunication.

One of the party ordered a Byrani but instead of the usual accompanying vegetable curry, a bowl of what looked and tasted like a mixture of tomato puree and curry paste arrived without a vegetable in sight Ė inedible. Two of us ordered our curry Madras heat but that was not to be. The other curry was nice when it arrived.

The hot plates were brought out good 10-15 mins before the main meal, therefore they were cold plates by the time the food arrived.

The bottle of wine was different to the one ordered and very expensive for what it was.

The owner asked us for feedback but wouldnít listen to a word we said. He kept telling us his curries were Ďauthenticí Indian and not like the usual Anglicised ones we Brits are used to. Firstly, having been to India I disagree with this and secondly, I want the sort of curry that I am used to back home. Apart from the strange Byrani the other items were like back home. All our comments fell on deaf ears.

Such a shame as could have potential and be a little gold mine if only Charles, the owner, would listen to his customers.

Last edited by billibob on Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:31 am; edited 1 time in total
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Hide These Ads? Register for Free or Login

Post: #2   PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:23 am Reply with quote
mouse
Pictures: 1

And the name of the Restaurant. Question

Post: #3   PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:31 am Reply with quote
billibob

Oooops! Was the Gateway to India in Dhyrenia. Have amended initial post.

Thanks.
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Post: #4   PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:37 am Reply with quote
Mr Tibbs

Thatís a pity. Their restaurant here in Limassol (I assume itís the same outfit) have always been excellent on our visits. The prices do tend to make your eyes water more than their Vindaloo though. Very Happy

Reserved for a special occasion thing.

Post: #5   PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:58 am Reply with quote
mouse
Pictures: 1

That's the one that had a number of bad reviews in an earlier thread.

We normally give restaurants second chance.

But the food and service was that bad, it didn't warrant a second chance.

There were 7 in our party.

Post: #6   PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:00 am Reply with quote
sugarray1955

Mr Tibbs wrote:
Thatís a pity. Their restaurant here in Limassol (I assume itís the same outfit) have always been excellent on our visits. The prices do tend to make your eyes water more than their Vindaloo though. Very Happy

Thought the one in Limassol was called India Gate? The one in Dheryneia is a separate entity. I have been to both and agree India Gate is very good, unfortunately the same cannot be said about GTI. When it first opened last year expectations were very high, but even though we gave it a fair chance, the level/quality of service/food diminished on each visit. After our 5th visit we decided enough is enough. My daughters partner is of Indian descent and when they visited he could not believe how poor the food was. Such a shame because this area is screaming out for a good Indian restaurant.

Post: #7   PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:29 am Reply with quote
billibob

I agree - this area is screaming out for one. At least Ruby Reds isnt too far from Paralimni and a take-away not out of the question.

Post: #8   PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:52 am Reply with quote
journo
Pictures: 17

I haven't eaten at either of the restaurants identified here, but I would have to say that genuine Indian cuisine and the dishes offered by most of the Indian-style/branded restaurants I've tried in the UK are vastly different.

For me, genuine Indian cuisine is what I want. My UK colleagues it seems are after something totally different.

The same thing applies in Cyprus. I want genuine Indian (or whatever) cuisine, not a UK-amended-locally-amended version.

I acknowledge others may not be looking for the same tastes.

When it comes to 'waiting time' then I guess as with any restaurant it depends on whether everything is cooked 'to order' or par-cooked in advance....

Sorry, I want it cooked fresh and am happy to wait to get that.

We're all different and that's what makes the world interesting Smile

Hide These Ads? Register for Free or Login

Post: #9   PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:58 pm Reply with quote
Mr Tibbs

sugarray1955 wrote:
Mr Tibbs wrote:

Thought the one in Limassol was called India Gate? The one in Dheryneia is a separate entity. I have been to both and agree India Gate is very good, unfortunately the same cannot be said about GTI. When it first opened last year expectations were very high, but even though we gave it a fair chance, the level/quality of service/food diminished on each visit. After our 5th visit we decided enough is enough. My daughters partner is of Indian descent and when they visited he could not believe how poor the food was. Such a shame because this area is screaming out for a good Indian restaurant.

My apologies, youíre of course right Embarassed It would have been difficult to reconcile the 2 restaurants being so different had they been under the same ownership.

Post: #10   PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 4:03 pm Reply with quote
Kwacka
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Pictures: 3

journo wrote:
I haven't eaten at either of the restaurants identified here, but I would have to say that genuine Indian cuisine and the dishes offered by most of the Indian-style/branded restaurants I've tried in the UK are vastly different.

For me, genuine Indian cuisine is what I want. My UK colleagues it seems are after something totally different.

The same thing applies in Cyprus. I want genuine Indian (or whatever) cuisine, not a UK-amended-locally-amended version.

When it comes to 'waiting time' then I guess as with any restaurant it depends on whether everything is cooked 'to order' or par-cooked in advance....

I haven't been to India but have eaten in several Indian homes and, as journo states, Indian restaurant food is nothing like UK Indian restaurant food, nor is authentic Chinese or Thai cuisine anything like those served in British restaurants.

if anybody wants recipes for 'Indian' restaurant dishes do a web search for "British Indian recipes' - most of the UK 'Indian' restaurants have Bangladeshi owners & cooks - one estimate I read was that, in 2016, 90% of 'Indian' restaurants were owned by Banglas.

Post: #11   PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 4:50 pm Reply with quote
Woodrow Why?at

I would suggest that whether or not the food served at this restaurant is authentic Indian cuisine is pretty much immaterial!

The important factor in any commercial enterprise is to give the paying customers what they want..........sadly the Gateway to India appears to be failing in this basic requirement! Cool

Post: #12   PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 5:43 am Reply with quote
lamby

And it was not just about the quality of the food,(in case people want to make that the excuse that it was 'proper'Indian curries)it was a combination of waitress/manager rudeness,unacceptable waiting times,orders coming out wrong,blaming of cooks and deliveries,the list goes on.the Red Ruby in Napa is not perfect but a whole lot better in many aspects and they are ready to listen and act on constructive comments.
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Post: #13   PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 7:54 am Reply with quote
Mr Tibbs

Just as an Indian restaurant aside.

I was sat in a Limassol sea-front place a short time ago (the Raj) having a basic but quite acceptable lamb Madras. Suddenly, this guy in crash helmet and goggles walks in, carrying a big box. It was a delivery man from Macdonalds, bringing the staff their dinner. So funny! Laughing Laughing Laughing

Sorry, Iíll get me coat. Embarassed

Post: #14   PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:12 am Reply with quote
madmum

Mr Tibbs wrote:
Just as an Indian restaurant aside.

I was sat in a Limassol sea-front place a short time ago (the Raj) having a basic but quite acceptable lamb Madras. Suddenly, this guy in crash helmet and goggles walks in, carrying a big box. It was a delivery man from Macdonalds, bringing the staff their dinner. So funny! Laughing Laughing Laughing

Sorry, Iíll get me coat. Embarassed

like when we were in zorba's and lots of mcdonalds workers came in and bought food. in england they get 1 free meal a day so not sure if same here, did say to daughter it shows mcD's is not good but of course didnt agree nothing puts her off her nuggets & chips

Post: #15   PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 1:01 pm Reply with quote
sugarray1955

journo wrote:

It doesn`t matter what the cuisine is if the service is not up to standard. I agree I am happy to wait (a certain length of time) if the food and service warrants it. Doesn`t matter where you are in the world if the service is bad it is bad, if you read the original post there many many negative points highlighted some of which I have experienced, not just the actual recipes or length of time for food to arrive. Unless you have been here and tried the service it is hard to visualise how bad it has gone. We gave it a fair chance to improve, unfortunately it went the other way. My daughters partner is of Indian descent (as I have already stated) he could not believe how bad the food was when they visited last year, he goes to India with his father once a year as they have a business there and he said none of the food offered was recognisable with Indian food as he knows it. You pay good money and for that you want decent service and good food.

Join Us Today! Register for Free or Login

Such a shame - Gateway to India 
  Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » Restaurants / Bars & Clubs in the Paralimni Area