Not A Member Yet? See All The Features Of The Forum By Clicking Here To Register For FREE! Or Members Login Below:

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Cyprus Eastern Forum Index
Offering Free Help, Advice, Tips & Support for those buying or living in:
Paralimni - Protaras - Pernera - Kapparis - Agia Napa - Larnaca - Oroklini - Pervolia - Kiti - Xylofagou
Vrysoulles - Frenaros - Dherynia - Sotira - Agia Thekla - Liopetri - Ormidia & surrounding areas...

Main Homepage Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Register Directory Memberlist Search

Ads By Forum Sponsors  

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » Coffee Shop Chat » Food bank Goto page 1, 2  Next
Food bank 
Post: #1   PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:23 pm Reply with quote
Pete The Highwayman
Pictures: 0

Afternoon
We had to go shopping again today as the family are coming to dinner Sunday
And as per usual us to senile old wrinkles forgot some things
Anyway the point Iím making is Sainsburyís in St Albans has a food bank dept
We bought a few bits to donate and the lady was there to clear it out
And take it to the distribution place anyway me and my little girl
Ghatted to her for a few minutes and she said every one gives tins biscuits
And breakfast cereal but nobody gives toiletries they are desperate
For shampoo conditioner toothpaste and tooth brushes so if any of you donate
Take a tip from what I have said
Keep smiling and be lucky
Pete
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Hide These Ads? Register for Free or Login

Post: #2   PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:13 pm Reply with quote
Bobbeer
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Pictures: 8

I have not tried shampoo conditioner toothpaste and tooth brushes as food items, how do you cook them?

Food bank 
Post: #3   PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:19 pm Reply with quote
Pete The Highwayman

Evening bob
I am only repeating what the woman told me and my little girl
She said everybody gives food but no toiletries
Keep smiling
Pete

Post: #4   PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:13 pm Reply with quote
scottie

Bobbeer wrote:
I have not tried shampoo conditioner toothpaste and tooth brushes as food items, how do you cook them?

What a patronising thing to say 😱
Not remotely funny and really disrespectful to the unfortunate people who have to use these food banks.
Is it a case of , when you hit hard times you are not entitled to the necessities mentioned .
What have we come to as human beings ?

Post: #5   PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:02 pm Reply with quote
Jan
Pictures: 5

We have the same problem at our Salvation Army food bank.
We have a men's hostel and the need for deodorants and shampoos and even combs are desperate.
Scarves, hats and gloves at this time of year.
A retired barber goes in to give them a haircut to make them feel better.

These men are mainly polite and nice people who have hit rock bottom in their lives.

Any help to get them back on track is very welcome. So do help any food bank or charity near to you. Thanks.
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Post: #6   PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:03 pm Reply with quote
bubblechris

Heard this before. Another thing people never think of donating are sanitary towels.

Appear a lot of schoolgirls have no way of getting them and use alternative methods.

What is this world coming to.......................
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Post: #7   PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:28 pm Reply with quote
Mr Tibbs

bubblechris wrote:
...........What is this world coming to.......................

Last night on the news they said at one point that people in the UK spend £9 billion a year on beauty products, £29 billion on tobacco and £45 billion on alcohol. And there are food banks? Sad

Post: #8   PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:38 pm Reply with quote
scottie

Mr Tibbs wrote:
bubblechris wrote:

Last night on the news they said at one point that people in the UK spend £9 billion a year on beauty products, £29 billion on tobacco and £45 billion on alcohol. And there are food banks? Sad

There are and always have been , those who cruise and those who are in need.
I'm sure most of the money you mention is spent by the former ........

Post: #9   PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:10 pm Reply with quote
Bobbeer
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

scottie wrote:
Bobbeer wrote:

Not remotely funny and really disrespectful to the unfortunate people who have to use these food banks.
Is it a case of , when you hit hard times you are not entitled to the necessities mentioned .

Not intended to be patronising.
Why are they called Food Banks, it is human nature to naturally donate food, how are us mere mortals supposed to know that they require other things to be donated? Is there an explanatory notice?

Post: #10   PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:18 pm Reply with quote
scottie

Bobbeer wrote:
scottie wrote:
Bobbeer wrote:

Not intended to be patronising.
Why are they called Food Banks, it is human nature to naturally donate food, how are us mere mortals supposed to know that they require other things to be donated? Is there an explanatory notice?

The term " common sense " springs to mind ?

Post: #11   PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:55 am Reply with quote
Mr Tibbs

scottie wrote:
Mr Tibbs wrote:
bubblechris wrote:

Charming, as ever. I worked hard for nearly 50 years, my wife 20 to earn these, what will probably be far too few, years of retirement. I had to spend a total of 5 of those separated from my mostly young family. I helped both my kids through their education and to buy first homes. Iím trying to do the same for all my grandkids now. You have no idea what charitable activities Iíve been involved in, or anything about my life, outside of this limited area. Not everybody struts around, loudly broadcasting their angst as you do. Please try to keep the spiteful barbs to yourself.

Post: #12   PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:07 am Reply with quote
Bobbeer
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Quote:

The term " common sense " springs to mind ?

Well it seems obvious that if nobody donates anything but food there must be a lot of people with it.
You must be gifted...

Post: #13   PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:13 am Reply with quote
scottie

Mr Tibbs wrote:
scottie wrote:
Mr Tibbs wrote:
bubblechris wrote:

Charming, as ever. I worked hard for nearly 50 years, my wife 20 to earn these, what will probably be far too few, years of retirement. I had to spend a total of 5 of those separated from my mostly young family. I helped both my kids through their education and to buy first homes. Iím trying to do the same for all my grandkids now. You have no idea what charitable activities Iíve been involved in, or anything about my life, outside of this limited area. Not everybody struts around, loudly broadcasting their angst as you do. Please try to keep the spiteful barbs to yourself.

You were indeed fortunate to have all the opportunities you did.
I am not interested in your charitable works anymore than you are in mine I expect.

As for spiteful ? barbs . What do you expect when you post as you did ?
Does it matter how much is spent on the goods you mention ?
The fact is , that there are people out there in need and all Pete was pointing out was that their needs went a bit further than some realise .
You do come across as pompous , as I do spiteful to you . Perhaps both are reading the other wrong ?
Food bank 
Post: #14   PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:41 am Reply with quote
Pete The Highwayman

Morning
We did not no Hey needed toiletries until we spoke to the lady who runs it
Sometimes we go to the other side of St Albans to Morrisonís
In there two men stand outside with trollys and you donate in them
But they just say thank you they never mention toiletries
But on Monday when we go to Sainsburyís we will donate toiletries
Keep smiling
Pete

Post: #15   PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:41 am Reply with quote
Mr Tibbs

scottie wrote:
I am not interested in your charitable works anymore than you are in mine I expect.

The fact is , that there are people out there in need and all Pete was pointing out was that their needs went a bit further than some realise .
You do come across as pompous , as I do spiteful to you . Perhaps both are reading the other wrong ?

I wasnít fortunate. I came out of a 1950ís ghetto and worked for what I got. A long, greasy pole for a Cockney kid.

Iím not sure what was so offensive. I just pointed out the apparently absurd conundrum of their being food banks in a country where tens of billions are spent pretty much on frivolous luxuries. If you havenít been to the likes of India you should try to visit. It would give you a new standard for ďin needĒ. A bit of well directed help there can actually save lives. Perhaps you already know that though.

As for pompous. Your not the only one to say that. Very Happy However, thereís never been a hint of silver spoon. Iím just well (self) read. If you came from the ass-end of Glasgow (?) we probably have a lot more in common than you suspect. Your pop at cruising was clearly aimed at me though.

Post: #16   PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:47 am Reply with quote
sugarray1955

It is a sad indictment of society when foodbanks are needed Crying or Very sad And a lot of studies indicate the demand is going to increase. I could not believe the amount of rough sleepers in London when we were there in November.

Post: #17   PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:49 am Reply with quote
Jan
Pictures: 5

Please stop back biting at each other.

Together we can help the less fortunate people in any way that we can afford to do so.

Falling out amongst ourselves does the opposite of helping but puts barriers up.

Make 2018 the year we try to be nice to each other and not to fall out. Please.

Post: #18   PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:11 am Reply with quote
romatarot

Jan wrote:
Please stop back biting at each other.

Together we can help the less fortunate people in any way that we can afford to do so.

Falling out amongst ourselves does the opposite of helping but puts barriers up.

Make 2018 the year we try to be nice to each other and not to fall out. Please.

Breath of fresh air! I sigh when I read the bickering on here. Sheep need a sheepdog to police them. Some people do all the policing on each other.

Enough said. Please support each other. Otherwise we have drunk the Kool Aid and are too distracted to unite and fight the true culprits of the current military industrial violence. Poverty being another concommitent result.

Ok, food banks/refugees/ ............
Links only visible to Registered Members
Register for Free or Login to the forum.

Please don't believe Main Stream Media.

Post: #19   PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:41 am Reply with quote
scottie

Mr Tibbs wrote:
scottie wrote:

I wasnít fortunate. I came out of a 1950ís ghetto and worked for what I got. A long, greasy pole for a Cockney kid.

Iím not sure what was so offensive. I just pointed out the apparently absurd conundrum of their being food banks in a country where tens of billions are spent pretty much on frivolous luxuries. If you havenít been to the likes of India you should try to visit. It would give you a new standard for ďin needĒ. A bit of well directed help there can actually save lives. Perhaps you already know that though.

As for pompous. Your not the only one to say that. Very Happy However, thereís never been a hint of silver spoon. Iím just well (self) read. If you came from the ass-end of Glasgow (?) we probably have a lot more in common than you suspect. Your pop at cruising was clearly aimed at me though.

Apologies for the cruising remark . Yep if sounds like we are cut from the same cloth . Truce ?

Post: #20   PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:11 am Reply with quote
Mr Tibbs

scottie wrote:
Mr Tibbs wrote:
scottie wrote:

Apologies for the cruising remark . Yep if sounds like we are cut from the same cloth . Truce ?

Thank you Scottie and yes, of course. There was a time when we were quite friendly in here. I think it went wrong quite some time ago over something to do with the SNP. Very Happy

Sorry here but.................................. Wink Very Happy
Food bank 
  Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » Coffee Shop Chat