Not A Member Yet? See All The Features Of The Forum By Clicking Here To Register For FREE! Or Members Login Below:

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Cyprus Eastern Forum Index
Offering Free Help, Advice, Tips & Support for those buying or living in:
Paralimni - Protaras - Pernera - Kapparis - Agia Napa - Larnaca - Oroklini - Pervolia - Kiti - Xylofagou
Vrysoulles - Frenaros - Dherynia - Sotira - Agia Thekla - Liopetri - Ormidia & surrounding areas...

Main Homepage Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Register Directory Memberlist Search

Ads By Forum Sponsors  

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » Pets & Animal Welfare In Cyprus » Endless insurance hassles
Endless insurance hassles 
Post: #1   PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:45 am Reply with quote
Coradejong
Pictures: 0

Expats of all kinds in Cyprus have endless insurance hassles. For example, there is no pet insurance except something utterly ridiculous provided by Kosmos which only pays claims when your cat is abducted by aliens, or something similar. Kosmos is one of the worst offenders, but, unless you are part of a large company, all the local insurers simply deny your claims, like something out of a John Grisham novel.

I propose to form a group of consumers which could negotiate real policies and effective claim payments. The more of us that come together, the more we will have power to actually pay fair premiums and receive effective insurance.

I invite anyone interested to contact me here, or to write me at
Links only visible to Registered Members
Register for Free or Login to the forum.
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Hide These Ads? Register for Free or Login

Re: Endless insurance hassles 
Post: #2   PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:29 pm Reply with quote
madmum

Coradejong wrote:
Expats of all kinds in Cyprus have endless insurance hassles. For example, there is no pet insurance except something utterly ridiculous provided by Kosmos which only pays claims when your cat is abducted by aliens, or something similar. Kosmos is one of the worst offenders, but, unless you are part of a large company, all the local insurers simply deny your claims, like something out of a John Grisham novel.

I propose to form a group of consumers which could negotiate real policies and effective claim payments. The more of us that come together, the more we will have power to actually pay fair premiums and receive effective insurance.

I invite anyone interested to contact me here, or to write me at

regarding pet insurance, when i discussed it with animal owners here it seemed that they all think it is not worth having here. mainly as vets charges are so low here in comparison to the UK. and secondly cyprus vets are not as high tech so dont offer the expensive diagnostic tests & treatments as in UK. so as have 3 dogs & 3 cats unless very inexpensive it would not be worth having
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Post: #3   PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:42 am Reply with quote
JonandGaynor

Agree with madmum, vet fees and medications are substantially less here than the UK so hardly warrants expensive insurance cover.
Admittedly we have only had one house insurance claim when our solar panels burst due to freezing last winter but our insurance company reimbursed us without argument within 7 days.

Post: #4   PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:17 am Reply with quote
Coradejong

Beg to differ. In the past month, I've spend 700 euros on making my cat well. This is not because I've been ripped off, it's just because the cat is really sick and the tests, x-rays and ultrasound cost a fortune.

But it's not just pet health. Health insurance for expats is a complete disaster, unless you work for a company that can pressure the insurer to pay claims. As a group of expats, we could provide such pressure so that our insurance costs become reasonable and our just claims are paid.

Again, my email, if you agree is

Post: #5   PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:13 am Reply with quote
madmum

Coradejong wrote:
Beg to differ. In the past month, I've spend 700 euros on making my cat well. This is not because I've been ripped off, it's just because the cat is really sick and the tests, x-rays and ultrasound cost a fortune.

But it's not just pet health. Health insurance for expats is a complete disaster, unless you work for a company that can pressure the insurer to pay claims. As a group of expats, we could provide such pressure so that our insurance costs become reasonable and our just claims are paid.

agree that is a lot but in uk would have been thousands. our old dog had 8000 in claims over 2 years with heart problem. then with 6 pets must have paid that in premiums over the years. another option if you are sure you would not spend it is to put the amount of premium in an account every month

looked at health cover for us but for 3 of us decent cover was very expensive. so as get free state care with S1 decided not to bother. speaking to people it seems the hospitals here are very good & no long waiting lists like uk. only used paralimni hospital for minor things but happy with them, did go to private clinic at weekend when daughter had tonsillitis & actually got better care from hospital few weeks later when it came back. paid 45 euro private & saw just a general doctor then paid for medicine. at hospital saw paediatrician for 6 euro & 50 cents for meds.

Post: #6   PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 4:17 pm Reply with quote
scottie

madmum wrote:
Coradejong wrote:

agree that is a lot but in uk would have been thousands. our old dog had 8000 in claims over 2 years with heart problem. then with 6 pets must have paid that in premiums over the years. another option if you are sure you would not spend it is to put the amount of premium in an account every month

looked at health cover for us but for 3 of us decent cover was very expensive. so as get free state care with S1 decided not to bother. speaking to people it seems the hospitals here are very good & no long waiting lists like uk. only used paralimni hospital for minor things but happy with them, did go to private clinic at weekend when daughter had tonsillitis & actually got better care from hospital few weeks later when it came back. paid 45 euro private & saw just a general doctor then paid for medicine. at hospital saw paediatrician for 6 euro & 50 cents for meds.

Hope you realise the S1 is a temporary thing and after Brexit it will be no more. You do have to apply for a hospital card to obtain full cover at a State hospital.
Sure you know this already , just thought it worth a mention.
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Post: #7   PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:00 pm Reply with quote
madmum

scottie wrote:
madmum wrote:
Coradejong wrote:

Hope you realise the S1 is a temporary thing and after Brexit it will be no more. You do have to apply for a hospital card to obtain full cover at a State hospital.

Yes we have the hospital card. but has expiry date of 2020 so only lasts 3 years. obviously hoping after brexit it will continue. the latest waffle released was saying about trying to reach agreement to keeping benefits for UK citizens living abroad & for those from EU living in UK. will just have to wait & see how it turns out

Post: #8   PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:30 pm Reply with quote
scottie

madmum wrote:
scottie wrote:
madmum wrote:
Coradejong wrote:

Yes we have the hospital card. but has expiry date of 2020 so only lasts 3 years. obviously hoping after brexit it will continue. the latest waffle released was saying about trying to reach agreement to keeping benefits for UK citizens living abroad & for those from EU living in UK. will just have to wait & see how it turns out

Sorry misunderstanding. You did say S1 and I took it that was what you were using.
Should be no problems 're the medical card ............fingers crossed 😊
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Hide These Ads? Register for Free or Login

Post: #9   PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:38 am Reply with quote
jeba

Coradejong wrote:
Expats of all kinds in Cyprus have endless insurance hassles. For example, there is no pet insurance

What do you mean by pet insurance? Insurance that covers claims against you if your pet causes a damage (e. g. traffic accident)? Im looking for such insurance since my German insurance cover will run out this year.
Post: #10   PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:41 am Reply with quote
madmum

jeba wrote:
Coradejong wrote:
Expats of all kinds in Cyprus have endless insurance hassles. For example, there is no pet insurance

What do you mean by pet insurance? Insurance that covers claims against you if your pet causes a damage (e. g. traffic accident)? Im looking for such insurance since my German insurance cover will run out this year.

damage

think most get pet insurance mainly to cover vets bills. not sure what any insurance companys include here.

in uk did cover you for liability if pet causes damage or accident. & lots of other things you would never use.
Post: #11   PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:16 am Reply with quote
JonandGaynor

jeba wrote:
Coradejong wrote:

Gan Direct list pet insurance within their house contents cover, it doesn't say what is insured but I suspect third party claims. Give them a call as they may offer this insurance separate to their other cover.
Endless insurance hassles 
  Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » Pets & Animal Welfare In Cyprus