Not A Member Yet? See All The Features Of The Forum By Clicking Here To Register For FREE! Or Members Login Below:

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Cyprus Eastern Forum Index
Offering Free Help, Advice, Tips & Support for those buying or living in:
Paralimni - Protaras - Pernera - Kapparis - Agia Napa - Larnaca - Oroklini - Pervolia - Kiti - Xylofagou
Vrysoulles - Frenaros - Dherynia - Sotira - Agia Thekla - Liopetri - Ormidia & surrounding areas...

 
Main Homepage Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Register Directory Memberlist Search

  Ads By Forum Sponsors

    
Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » Exchange Money & Rates » Good News on the UK - Despite Brexit
Post new topic  Reply to topic   View previous topic : View next topic 
Good News on the UK - Despite Brexit 
Post: #1   PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:54 pm Reply with quote
clive of payia
Joined: 08 Apr 2006
Posts: 336
Pictures: 0

 
4th Jan.

The FTSE 100 index closed up 24.8 points or 0.32% 7,695.88, having reached a new record intraday high just above 7,700 earlier.

Meanwhile, the pound was down 0.2% against the euro at 1.1223 but up 0.2% versus the greenback at 1.3540 after solid data on the UK's key services sector.

Said analyst Joshua Mahony at IG: "The pound enjoyed yet another day of gains, thanks in no small part to the welcome outperformance of the UK services PMI figure this morning. With the UK services PMI hitting the second highest reading in eight months, there is hope that the sector will drive the pound higher and allow the BoE to raise rates further in 2018 if inflation continues to rise."

_________________
Clive of Payia
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel


Hide These Ads? Register for Free or Login

 
Post: #2   PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:56 pm Reply with quote
Woodrow Why?at
Joined: 04 Oct 2008
Posts: 6216
Pictures: 0
Location: Ayia Thekla

 
As you say "despite" Brexit - not because 'of'!! Rolling Eyes

_________________
Don't blame me, I voted 'Remain'!
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel
 
Post: #3   PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:58 pm Reply with quote
Kwacka
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Joined: 24 Sep 2005
Posts: 15037
Pictures: 3
Location: Republic of Cyprus

 
Good news for shareholders in foreign companies (which make up the bulk of the FTSE 100), but why good news for the UK?

_________________
"The greatest deception men suffer is from their own opinions." - Leonardo da Vinci
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel
 
Post: #4   PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:02 am Reply with quote
Larryand Sue
Joined: 11 Aug 2007
Posts: 1062
Pictures: 0
Location: Bogaz.

 
Kwacka wrote:
Good news for shareholders in foreign companies (which make up the bulk of the FTSE 100), but why good news for the UK?


The FTSE 250 is a better indicator of the UK economy, and that is up about 10% on the year.


Links only visible to Registered Members
Register for Free or Login to the forum.



I didn't want Brexit, but can't see the point in running the country down because I didn't get my own way.

_________________
The views expressed above may not necessarily be those of anyone.
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel
 
Post: #5   PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:54 am Reply with quote
Mr Tibbs
Joined: 14 Apr 2011
Posts: 9944
Pictures: 0
Location: ROC

 
I can’t believe people don’t understand the rules by now.

Here are a couple:

A. Anything good that’s happened in the past 18 months is “Despite”.

B. Anything bad in the same period is “Because of”.

Simple.
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel
 
Post: #6   PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:28 am Reply with quote
Woodrow Why?at
Joined: 04 Oct 2008
Posts: 6216
Pictures: 0
Location: Ayia Thekla

 
Mr Tibbs wrote:
I can’t believe people don’t understand the rules by now.

Here are a couple:

A. Anything good that’s happened in the past 18 months is “Despite”.

B. Anything bad in the same period is “Because of”.

Simple.


Yes, people can be a bit 'dense' at times! Wink

And I think you missed the fact that the terms of reference here were dictated by that great be-leaver, the rather grandiose named 'clive of payia'!! Rolling Eyes Laughing

_________________
Don't blame me, I voted 'Remain'!
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel
 
Post: #7   PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:48 am Reply with quote
Mr Tibbs
Joined: 14 Apr 2011
Posts: 9944
Pictures: 0
Location: ROC

 
Woodrow Why?at wrote:
Mr Tibbs wrote:
I can’t believe people don’t understand the rules by now.

Here are a couple:

A. Anything good that’s happened in the past 18 months is “Despite”.

B. Anything bad in the same period is “Because of”.

Simple.


Yes, people can be a bit 'dense' at times! Wink

And I think you missed the fact that the terms of reference here were dictated by that great be-leaver, the rather grandiose named 'clive of payia'!! Rolling Eyes Laughing


No, I didn’t miss it. Razz

Clive though at least has belief in one side of the Brexit conundrum. Others will simply go where their wallets take them, regardless of any perceived merits of the issues involved. Mercenaries. Wink
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel
 
Post: #8   PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:52 am Reply with quote
bubblechris
Joined: 27 Mar 2009
Posts: 4826
Pictures: 0
Location: Waltham Abbey, Essex E9

 
Woodrow Why?at wrote:
Mr Tibbs wrote:
I can’t believe people don’t understand the rules by now.

Here are a couple:

A. Anything good that’s happened in the past 18 months is “Despite”.

B. Anything bad in the same period is “Because of”.

Simple.


Yes, people can be a bit 'dense' at times! Wink

And I think you missed the fact that the terms of reference here were dictated by that great be-leaver, the rather grandiose named 'clive of payia'!! Rolling Eyes Laughing


and there was me thinking it was you that invented sarcasm..................
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel


Hide These Ads? Register for Free or Login

 
Post: #9   PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:35 pm Reply with quote
Kwacka
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Joined: 24 Sep 2005
Posts: 15037
Pictures: 3
Location: Republic of Cyprus

 
Larryand Sue wrote:
Kwacka wrote:
Good news for shareholders in foreign companies (which make up the bulk of the FTSE 100), but why good news for the UK?


The FTSE 250 is a better indicator of the UK economy, and that is up about 10% on the year.


Links only visible to Registered Members
Register for Free or Login to the forum.



I didn't want Brexit, but can't see the point in running the country down because I didn't get my own way.


a. I pointed out that the majority of companies making up the FTSE 100 are international companies. As you point out, the FTSE 250 is a more accurate measure as is the 350a, and

b. I didn't mention the UK leaving the EU.

Nowhere did I run down the UK.


Links only visible to Registered Members
Register for Free or Login to the forum.

Grauniad, 04/01/2017

_________________
"The greatest deception men suffer is from their own opinions." - Leonardo da Vinci
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel
 
Post: #10   PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:40 pm Reply with quote
Mr Tibbs
Joined: 14 Apr 2011
Posts: 9944
Pictures: 0
Location: ROC

 
Kwacka wrote:
BTW, Clive of Peyia, did you notice that markets all around the world have risen?


Especially in the US. Despite............................ Very Happy
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel
 
Post: #11   PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:41 pm Reply with quote
Kwacka
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Joined: 24 Sep 2005
Posts: 15037
Pictures: 3
Location: Republic of Cyprus

 
Mr Tibbs wrote:
Kwacka wrote:
BTW, Clive of Peyia, did you notice that markets all around the world have risen?


Especially in the US. Despite............................ Very Happy


Shirley because of? Wink

_________________
"The greatest deception men suffer is from their own opinions." - Leonardo da Vinci
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel
 
Post: #12   PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:11 am Reply with quote
Mr Tibbs
Joined: 14 Apr 2011
Posts: 9944
Pictures: 0
Location: ROC

 
Kwacka wrote:
Mr Tibbs wrote:
Kwacka wrote:
BTW, Clive of Peyia, did you notice that markets all around the world have risen?


Especially in the US. Despite............................ Very Happy


Shirley because of? Wink


Stop calling me Shirley! Evil or Very Mad 😀
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel
Good News on the UK - Despite Brexit 
  Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » Exchange Money & Rates
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
  


All times are GMT  
Page 1 of 1  



  
  
 Post new topic  Reply to topic   
Search Tags: #Despite #Brexit



 Link To Cyprus Eastern Forum    YouTube Channel    Cyprus eBay Search    Shopping To Cyprus    Contact Admin   SmartFeed RSS Feed



BUYING PROPERTY IN CYPRUS? PLEASE ENSURE THAT YOU SEEK INDEPENDENT LEGAL ADVICE FIRST.
Cyprus forum covering Kapparis, Protaras, Pernera, Agia Napa, Agia Thekla, Paralimni, Larnaca, Oroklini, Pervolia & surrounding areas
Please note that the views expressed on this forum are those of the author and may not reflect the views of the management.
* Problems Logging In? Click To Contact Us | Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group Design Style: VTrushkin | View Lo-Fi Version