Not A Member Yet? See All The Features Of The Forum By Clicking Here To Register For FREE! Or Members Login Below:

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Cyprus Eastern Forum Index
Offering Free Help, Advice, Tips & Support for those buying or living in:
Paralimni - Protaras - Pernera - Kapparis - Agia Napa - Larnaca - Oroklini - Pervolia - Kiti - Xylofagou
Vrysoulles - Frenaros - Dherynia - Sotira - Agia Thekla - Liopetri - Ormidia & surrounding areas...

Main Homepage Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Register Directory Memberlist Search

Ads By Forum Sponsors  

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » Legal Questions & Issues » Demand for IPT from Oroklini Council Goto page 1, 2  Next
Demand for IPT from Oroklini Council 
Post: #1   PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 3:03 pm Reply with quote
PatCon
Pictures: 0

As we all know, immovable property tax has been abolished. By the government of Cyprus. It seems, however, that nobody told the Oroklini council. I have just received a demand from them with no less than 12 items backdated for IPT, one payment for each year from the year 2005 to 2017. And for this same one property my wife has also received an identical demand. I haven't yet found anybody else who has received such a ridiculous claim. They say they couldn't claim this before because they have been waiting for info from the land registry office - 12 years wait . I will gladly fax (I mean email) a scan of the claim to anyone who can advise me.

Last edited by PatCon on Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:37 am; edited 1 time in total

Hide These Ads? Register for Free or Login

Demand 
Post: #2   PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 3:56 pm Reply with quote
emanon

Why isn't that a surprise? I've been waiting for months for them to sort out my community tax, and the Tax Office has owed me over 1k for 7 years!

Now waiting - still, for an analysis of the level of copper in the only water supply to my apartment- meanwhile I have to fetch drinking water from a garden tap or put up with the nausea etc it's causing. Methinks THEY need a tap on the head!

This Cyprus 'innit'.
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Post: #3   PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 4:05 am Reply with quote
PatCon

A bit off-thread, emanon. I am talking about a backdated demand for immovable property tax for every year from 2005.

Post: #4   PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 4:35 am Reply with quote
hughie

got our letters on Monday the same as you are not alone Sad Hughie in oroklini
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel
Re: Demand for IPT from Oroklini Council 
Post: #5   PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:28 am Reply with quote
nhowarth
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Pictures: 9

PatCon wrote:
As we all know, immovable property tax has been abolished. By the government of Cyprus.

Immovable Property Tax payable to the Tax Department has been abolished. However the 'local' IPT paid to the Municipality/Community has not.

You can find a list of taxes for this year at
Links only visible to Registered Members
Register for Free or Login to the forum.

Regards,

Post: #6   PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:27 am Reply with quote
PatCon

Thanks for your info, Nigel. But backdated from 2005! I might pay for 2017, but no more. They said they have only now got the info from the Land Registry office. Funny how the Tax office knew everything from the LRO but Oroklini waited 12 years for it. Who knew about two different IPTs before now?

Post: #7   PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:48 am Reply with quote
FSB Properties
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

PatCon wrote:
Thanks for your info, Nigel. But backdated from 2005! I might pay for 2017, but no more. They said they have only now got the info from the Land Registry office. Funny how the Tax office knew everything from the LRO but Oroklini waited 12 years for it. Who knew about two different IPTs before now?

You can choose not to pay anymore, but they will keep adding penalties AND you will never sell until its paid, since you will need a letter from the council to transfer your property to any new buyer, or even heirs.

They may defer tax payments in Cyprus, but they always get them in the end + interest.

Just consider yourself 'lucky' you didn't need to pay all those years Wink

Member of the AIPP.

Post: #8   PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:24 am Reply with quote
nhowarth
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Pictures: 9

PatCon wrote:
But backdated from 2005! Who knew about two different IPTs before now?

As far as I am aware there have always been two property taxes. IPT (now abandoned) payable to the Tax Department - no UK equivalent but on a par with the 'mansion tax' that was in the news a couple of years ago.

There have been numerous questions regarding this 'local' property tax over the years - I'm surprised that after 12 years you've not heard or read about it.

Of course the Land Registry should have advised the Oroklini council much earlier.

Is this an isolated case or has it happened to others in Oroklini (apart from your wife.)

Regards,

Hide These Ads? Register for Free or Login

Post: #9   PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:34 am Reply with quote
FSB Properties
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

nhowarth wrote:
PatCon wrote:
But backdated from 2005! Who knew about two different IPTs before now?

As far as I am aware there have always been two property taxes. IPT (now abandoned) payable to the Tax Department - no UK equivalent but on a par with the 'mansion tax' that was in the news a couple of years ago.

There have been numerous questions regarding this 'local' property tax over the years - I'm surprised that after 12 years you've not heard or read about it.

Of course the Land Registry should have advised the Oroklini council much earlier.

Is this an isolated case or has it happened to others in Oroklini (apart from your wife.)

Regards,

Nigel, all Oroklini residents are getting these letters.

I recently did a transfer of a property of my own and went to get the said letter from the council. They informed me that I needed to settle up my IPT (surpise to me) that I hadn't paid for years, so I asked 'how do we know we need to pay this??' She pointed out that on the council tax bill it asks you to pay this as it is not done via the bank (since my community tax is settle by DD) . Well I never notice this comment before, so now I know!

Member of the AIPP.

Post: #10   PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:35 am Reply with quote
PatCon

No Nigel, I've heard from quite a few who have got the demands, possibly all property owners here.in Oroklini.
But I'm going into denial. Maybe a hacker will destroy all their records and the local council staff will get an infectious form of amnesia. Or they'll all feel sorry for me and let me off?

Post: #11   PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:20 pm Reply with quote
kokkinos

Hi is this the same tax you have to pay back to the builder .on tranfer of the deeds to your name , are we talking big numbers per year ,
Re: Tax 
Post: #12   PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:56 pm Reply with quote
pantheman

kokkinos wrote:
Hi is this the same tax you have to pay back to the builder .on tranfer of the deeds to your name , are we talking big numbers per year ,

NO, you already have your deeds so you will pay the council. The numbers are very small. Wink
Post: #13   PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 1:49 pm Reply with quote
PatCon

pantheman wrote:
kokkinos wrote:

NO, you already have your deeds so you will pay the council. The numbers are very small. Wink

Can't agree "very small", Pan. All relative, of course, but they want 218 from me.

Post: #14   PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 3:28 pm Reply with quote
bubblechris

PatCon wrote:
pantheman wrote:
kokkinos wrote:

Can't agree "very small", Pan. All relative, of course, but they want 218 from me.

Sounds small to me............................

Have you ever paid Council Tax in the UK? If you have you'll realise it is small, very small.
Post: #15   PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 4:27 pm Reply with quote
Tangutica
Pictures: 26

bubblechris wrote:
PatCon wrote:
pantheman wrote:
kokkinos wrote:

Sounds small to me............................

Have you ever paid Council Tax in the UK? If you have you'll realise it is small, very small.

218 = two month's council tax for my 2 up 2 down terrace cottage in Devon (with the sole occupancy disc) when I left more than 10yrs ago, so it sounds VERY small to me too!

As does my present 240 ANNUAL Municipality tax here! When I first came to Cyprus Mun Tax was just 70 a yr I couldn't BELIEVE it
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Join Us Today! Register for Free or Login

Post: #16   PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 4:58 pm Reply with quote
pantheman

PatCon wrote:
pantheman wrote:
kokkinos wrote:

Yes but over how many years..? Its hardly a bank breaking about. Come on Patcon, don't be such a grouch 😊

Post: #17   PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 4:29 am Reply with quote
PatCon

Are we getting a bit confused here? Do people believe we are talking about council service charges, known in the UK as rates? The IPT in Oroklini is an extra charge on top of the rates. This is wasted money: 3,000 sq.m. of local council offices built in 2003 for only 11 employees, 2 theaters in it, equipped with expensive sound systems almost never used, total cost 4.7 million euros but debt today is 12,000 euros (unpaid). 100 office chairs unused. One theater used as storage room. Source: Onoufrios Socratous, journalist, 27.04.2017.
Of course I'm a grouch Exclamation

Post: #18   PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:27 am Reply with quote
sunnysuzie
Pictures: 6

If you didn't own your property in 2005 would you still be liable? How can they charge for years you have already paid to the tax office, confused?

People may think it's a small amount, but when you ask the council to explain to you what it's for and they cant they just say everyone has to pay it, it's a bit of an insult, especially if you haven't budgeted for it, and when you paid it to the tax office you got a large discount for paying early.

Not everyone in Cyprus has loads of money, some have a tight budget to live on!

Sue

Post: #19   PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:50 am Reply with quote
milano

Thanks PatCon for answering a long-standing question that I had: in the 3+ years I've lived in Oroklini, passing the Council Offices almost daily at various times, I always wondered why I'd never seen any staff going in or coming out but if that figure of 11 employees still stands or indeed if it's been added to by the odd one or two perhaps they go out by the back door. Or perhaps they just turn up to collect their pay slips?

I knew there was one theatre, I didn't realise there were two with one being used as a storage room. What a pity someone doesn't suggest at a council meeting using the theatres throughout the year for concerts, plays, presentations by various organisations etc thus generating some revenue via ticket sales or room hire fees. Or would that be too much clear thinking for the Council?

KIZI

Post: #20   PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 12:42 pm Reply with quote
PatCon

Milano, stop talking common sense - we are talking about Oroklini council Cool . Perhaps they need this extra money to build an extension to add to their 3,000 sq.m. or to buy some more office chairs. Wonder who the chair salesman is, perhaps the guy here who drives a Daimler, relatively rich (pun intended) Question

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » Legal Questions & Issues