Not A Member Yet? See All The Features Of The Forum By Clicking Here To Register For FREE! Or Members Login Below:

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Cyprus Eastern Forum Index
Offering Free Help, Advice, Tips & Support for those buying or living in:
Paralimni - Protaras - Pernera - Kapparis - Agia Napa - Larnaca - Oroklini - Pervolia - Kiti - Xylofagou
Vrysoulles - Frenaros - Dherynia - Sotira - Agia Thekla - Liopetri - Ormidia & surrounding areas...

Main Homepage Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Register Directory Memberlist Search

Ads By Forum Sponsors

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » Shipping To / From Cyprus » Car shipping that I've owned for less than 6 months.
Car shipping that I've owned for less than 6 months. 
Post: #1   PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:41 am Reply with quote
Demos
Pictures: 0

Hi guys,

I'm in the process of moving to Cyprus and want to take mine and my wives car with us.

The issue I have is that everywhere I look states you don't pay tax on the car that you own provided you have had it in the UK for at least 6 month's. The problem is i have only had it a few months. So does this mean I would have to pay ridiculous duty on it?

Any help would be awesome. Thanks Demos
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Hide These Ads? Register for Free or Login

Post: #2   PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:33 am Reply with quote
hatzyian
Pictures: 10

As far as I know, it's 6 months and 6000km.

Contact Foda, she is a sponsor on the forum, she should be able to give you the exact info.

If you can't be good, be careful
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Post: #3   PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:41 am Reply with quote
Demos

hatzyian wrote:
As far as I know, it's 6 months and 6000km.

Contact Foda, she is a sponsor on the forum, she should be able to give you the exact info.

Thanks for the info but how do I contact Foda?

Thabks
Re: Car shipping that I've owned for less than 6 months. 
Post: #4   PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:32 am Reply with quote
FSB Properties
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Demos wrote:
Hi guys,

I'm in the process of moving to Cyprus and want to take mine and my wives car with us.

The issue I have is that everywhere I look states you don't pay tax on the car that you own provided you have had it in the UK for at least 6 month's. The problem is i have only had it a few months. So does this mean I would have to pay ridiculous duty on it?

I think you may have misunderstood.

Duty is paid on all vehicles that come into Cyprus 6 months or not. However, it being under 6 months may attract some other tax, I'm not sure on this.

One thing is for sure, you cannot escape the duty!

Foda 97820657

Member of the AIPP.
Post: #5   PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:49 am Reply with quote
Demos

Hi Foda thanks for your response, I have checked the Cypriot website and it states that is you have a car that is yours that you have owned for 6 month's in another EU country you are allowed? Really confused.

The reason I ask is because there is an excel sheet on the Cypriot customs and excise department and when I fill in the details of my car they want over 26'000 in taxes?

Maybe I am getting custom's import duty mixed up?

FSB Properties wrote:
Demos wrote:
Hi guys,

Duty is paid on all vehicles that come into Cyprus 6 months or not. However, it being under 6 months may attract some other tax, I'm not sure on this.

Foda 97820657
Post: #6   PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:59 am Reply with quote
FSB Properties
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Demos wrote:
Hi Foda thanks for your response, I have checked the Cypriot website and it states that is you have a car that is yours that you have owned for 6 month's in another EU country you are allowed? Really confused.

The reason I ask is because there is an excel sheet on the Cypriot customs and excise department and when I fill in the details of my car they want over 26'000 in taxes?

FSB Properties wrote:
Demos wrote:
Hi guys,

Foda 97820657

I am not 'Foda' I just gave you her number!!

Member of the AIPP.

Post: #7   PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:05 pm Reply with quote
bubblechris

Tell the shipper fo deliver after the six months are up. Try Andrews Shipping in North London.
Post: #8   PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 2:09 pm Reply with quote
Jacs
Pictures: 6

FSB Properties wrote:
Demos wrote:

FSB Properties wrote:
Demos wrote:
Hi guys,

Foda 97820657

Sorry but had a giggle about that.

Hide These Ads? Register for Free or Login

Post: #9   PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 6:30 pm Reply with quote
foda
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Demos wrote:

FSB Properties wrote:
Demos wrote:
Hi guys,

Foda 97820657

Hi I'm Foda
If the vehicle is under 6 months and 6000 kilometers then it's subject to VAT
If the vehicle has been on your name over 6 months then and you can prove your residency then you do not have to pay excise tax.
Send me copies of your V5's and I will give you a full breakdown of all the costs you can expect to import these vehicles

Foda

Post: #10   PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:05 pm Reply with quote
bubblechris

The key is in the term 'residency'. Your residency is currently the UK when you finally decide you want your residency to be Cyprus that is the applicable date. So the simplest thing would be to delay your move over a few months.

You could just come over for 3 months look for somewhere to live when you've done that then ship your belongings over. Till then in theory you will only become a resident of Cyprus once you have decided where you want your residence to be.

Let Foda give you the figures then decide. There is after all no rush is there?
Post: #11   PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:10 pm Reply with quote
Demos

Oh No sorry!

thanks

FSB Properties wrote:
Demos wrote:

FSB Properties wrote:
Demos wrote:
Hi guys,

Foda 97820657

Post: #12   PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:16 pm Reply with quote
Demos

Hi Foda,

thanks for your help,

i actually called and spoke to Nikolas Psaras Shipping that was given to me by Andrews shipping and they confirmed just to bring it over at a later date and in greek fashion he said Μην ανησυχείτε ότι θα το λύσουμε.

for reference he did stipulate make sure it's before 6 months of arrival though or you lose the right. don't know if that's true but hey it's fine.

many thanks this is a great community.

Demos

foda wrote:
Demos wrote:

FSB Properties wrote:
Demos wrote:
Hi guys,

Foda 97820657

Hi I'm Foda
If the vehicle is under 6 months and 6000 kilometers then it's subject to VAT
If the vehicle has been on your name over 6 months then and you can prove your residency then you do not have to pay excise tax.
Send me copies of your V5's and I will give you a full breakdown of all the costs you can expect to import these vehicles

Foda

Post: #13   PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:18 pm Reply with quote
Demos

Thanks Chris.

Demos

bubblechris wrote:
Tell the shipper fo deliver after the six months are up. Try Andrews Shipping in North London.

Post: #14   PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 2:33 am Reply with quote
carts320
Pictures: 2

maybe I'm just reading this wrong, but I thought you were only liable for vat if the car was under 6 months old and not if you had owned a second-hand car less than 6 months, so is the car less than 6 months old or are you the owner less than 6 months?

Post: #15   PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 3:54 am Reply with quote
foda
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

carts320 wrote:
maybe I'm just reading this wrong, but I thought you were only liable for vat if the car was under 6 months old and not if you had owned a second-hand car less than 6 months, so is the car less than 6 months old or are you the owner less than 6 months?

You are liable to VAT only if the vehicle is under 6months and 6000 kilometers
Not if you have owned it under 6 months

Foda

Join Us Today! Register for Free or Login

Post: #16   PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 4:09 am Reply with quote
carts320
Pictures: 2

foda wrote:
carts320 wrote:

You are liable to VAT only if the vehicle is under 6months and 6000 kilometers
Not if you have owned it under 6 months

Foda

So my thinking was correct, now we just need to establish what the OPs car is.

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » Shipping To / From Cyprus