Not A Member Yet? See All The Features Of The Forum By Clicking Here To Register For FREE! Or Members Login Below:

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Cyprus Eastern Forum Index
Offering Free Help, Advice, Tips & Support for those buying or living in:
Paralimni - Protaras - Pernera - Kapparis - Agia Napa - Larnaca - Oroklini - Pervolia - Kiti - Xylofagou
Vrysoulles - Frenaros - Dherynia - Sotira - Agia Thekla - Liopetri - Ormidia & surrounding areas...

Main Homepage Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Register Directory Memberlist Search

Ads By Forum Sponsors  

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » Hobbies, Clubs & Learning » Boat Licence
Boat Licence 
Post: #1   PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:54 pm Reply with quote
SilkmaninCyprus
Pictures: 0

Can anyone advise me how and where to get a licence for my sea going boat? I believe you have to take a test on the water to be able to get one.
Thanks

Hide These Ads? Register for Free or Login

Re: Boat Licence 
Post: #2   PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 6:34 pm Reply with quote
alistair

Dave Hancox wrote:
Can anyone advise me how and where to get a licence for my sea going boat? I believe you have to take a test on the water to be able to get one.
Thanks

Hi dave is it the boat you want to get licensed or are you after getting a powerboat licence ?
If it's a powerboat licence then dhekelia sailing club do a 2 day course that you can take. The next courses are beginning of sept and beginning of Nov for this year.
Not 100% sure but if your boat cannot go as fast as 15 knots you don't need a licence but you would need to clarify that point.
If it the boat that needs licensing try
Links only visible to Registered Members
Register for Free or Login to the forum.
and scroll down to the bottom right hand side and click on small vessels.
Hth
Alistair
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Post: #3   PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 6:50 pm Reply with quote
SensibleBob

Try visit to My Boat Share who used to do power boat licenses. They will certainly know how to go about registering a boat etc. In fact when I used to work there I done several registrations.
A few years ago they used the Dhekalia guy for power boat testing but MBS ownership and staff have changed a lot.
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Post: #4   PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:08 am Reply with quote
Jascat

My boats top speed was just under 15 knots & the powers that be said I did not need a license.

Post: #5   PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 4:55 pm Reply with quote
Kmas100

Hi Dave, if you own a boat and you live permenantly in Cyprus you will need a Cyprus boat license. SOME of the marine police allow boat owners to use their RYA powerboat 2 license but really it's NOT accepted.. And you will come across someone who will not accept it. Depending on where you launch your boat, you may get asked as you approach the slip. I have been approached by a police launch and asked whilst moored-up along Larnaca Seafront when the family were in the sea swimming!
The RYA powerboat 2 license is for boats upto a maximum of 10m in length. The next RYA license up from that (which IS acceptable in Cyprus) is the RYA Day Skipper. This will allow you to drive boats upto 26 m (non commercial)
As far as the Cyprus boat license is concerned, you must visit the 1st floor in the Maritime office in Limassol and apply for a provisional license. This lasts for 6 months upon which you must take the test, they do not like to renew a provisional license but will if the test has been delayed because of the Maritime office. When you apply for the provisional, you can also apply for the test.. And nominate a test location near where you are, or the nearest one to you.
On the test day, you sit a multiple choice exam where you have to get 75% of the questions correct, it's marked immidiately and if you pass, you are sent to participate in a practical (which quite frankly is a joke). At no stage is there any education of how to actually drive or control a boat.. So if that's what you want to learn, then I would suggest a RYA course of some kind as well.
The exam paper can be taken in English too, it is slightly different from the Greek one but not any more difficult.. Just different questions.
Hope this helps.. If you need any more information just drop me an email

Post: #6   PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:48 pm Reply with quote
Kmas100

One other thing to add.... There is a book that the Maritime office recommend you reading in order to pass the test. Unless you have a fair bit of either sailing or powerboat experience you will not pass it (unless you read the book). The book is only available in Greek... However, I do have an English translation of it which is accurate. So if you need it just email me..

Post: #7   PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 3:47 pm Reply with quote
Nickantoniou66

Hi, I would really appreciate it if you can email me a copy of the English Translation of the boat test book.
Boat Licence 
  Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » Hobbies, Clubs & Learning