Not A Member Yet? See All The Features Of The Forum By Clicking Here To Register For FREE! Or Members Login Below:

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Cyprus Eastern Forum Index
Offering Free Help, Advice, Tips & Support for those buying or living in:
Paralimni - Protaras - Pernera - Kapparis - Agia Napa - Larnaca - Oroklini - Pervolia - Kiti - Xylofagou
Vrysoulles - Frenaros - Dherynia - Sotira - Agia Thekla - Liopetri - Ormidia & surrounding areas...

Main Homepage Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Register Directory Memberlist Search

Ads By Forum Sponsors  

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » Doctors / Hospitals / Health & Medicines » INR Warfarin Blood Tests
INR Warfarin Blood Tests 
Post: #1   PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 5:11 pm Reply with quote
dickins11
Pictures: 9

My wife has to have regular blood tests to monitor her INR levels as she is on Warfarin which has to stay within certain limits. In the UK she has these at her doctors. As we are going to spend longer periods in Cyprus does anyone know where we can get these tests done and if so at what cost?

I do know that there is a lack of Warfarin in the South so my wife will make sure she is well stocked up before we come out.

Any advice will be appreciated.

Cheers

Ivor
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Hide These Ads? Register for Free or Login

Warfarin 
Post: #2   PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 5:21 pm Reply with quote
paterson
Pictures: 0

HI Dickens.
In Paralimni and I'm sure island wide there is a plethora of Clinical laboratories, so there should not be a problem.

Post: #3   PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 5:50 pm Reply with quote
JimPernera
Pictures: 8

Hi Dickens, Where are you? I have just started with warfarin, and the INR tests are CYŁ7 at the blood man next to Lito in Paralimni. I can give you further directions if you want Regards, Jim.

Post: #4   PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 7:19 pm Reply with quote
dickins11

Hi Jim

Thanks for those details. Our apartment is in Paralimni and a couple of years ago I took my elder son to a dentist at the Lito Clinic behind the Bank of Cyprus building just past the lights on the Sotira Road. If this is the same place is the Blood Man in the Clinic itself or close by.

Can you let me know please and also do they tell you your INR level at the same time they do the test or do you have to phone them later?

Regards
Ivor

Post: #5   PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 4:23 am Reply with quote
caligi

Also maybe check that they use the Automatic INR way of testing as many in Larnaca still do not.
I can help anyone in Larnaca as to where to go but mine jumped from CYP7.00 to EUR26.00 yesterday...yet another mis-calculation with the converting to Euro.. eventually paid EUR12!

Post: #6   PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 2:36 pm Reply with quote
JimPernera
Pictures: 8

Hello Ivor, if you wait for ten minutes or so you can get them straight away.
If you come out of Lito, turn left and just down the road towards the car park is the blood man (or his daughter). It is on the other side from lito (NOT across main road) about ten yards away and there is normally a small sandwich board outside saying Hemo or something.
I have not heard about a shortage of Warfarin here. I am on the 5mg tablets, and so far have no problems.

Hi Caligi, I don't know whether they use the automatic testing or not. How can you tell? and does it matter?

Regards, Jim.

Post: #7   PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 3:39 pm Reply with quote
dickins11

Hi Jim

Thanks for that info it is very useful. When we are out in February I will take my wife down there to see him.

Caligi, my wife in the UK has had both a standard needle blood test plus the finger pin-* manhood *. Her consultant told her they are both as accurate as each other.

For my part I can't stand the sight of blood - I would be no good working in a hospital.

Regards
Ivor
INR warfarin blood tests 
Post: #8   PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 5:09 pm Reply with quote
winstanley59

Hi - I always go to a lady in a little centre - it is just past the turning in to the General Hospital - on the road towards the traffic lights in Dyrennia.

She only supplies what the INR is but does not tell me what to take - my INR is often all over the place so I ring my health centre in the UK and they prescribe for me.

Love Heidi x
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Hide These Ads? Register for Free or Login

Post: #9   PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 7:15 pm Reply with quote
dickins11

Hi Heidi

At the end of last year my wife used the clinic mentioned in Jim's posting on 2 occasions. Each time she had a proper blood test and after a 20 minute wait she was given the INR. On the first trip the man went over my wife's previous history and advised her on whether to change her medication levels and his daughter did the same on the second trip. Very friendly people and all this for the princely sum of €12.

My wife has her levels checked every 4 weeks so when we are back again in March she will go there again. Can definitely recommend it.

Ivor

Post: #10   PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 9:59 am Reply with quote
pav
Pictures: 17

JimPernera wrote:
Hello Ivor, if you wait for ten minutes or so you can get them straight away.
If you come out of Lito, turn left and just down the road towards the car park is the blood man (or his daughter). It is on the other side from lito (NOT across main road) about ten yards away and there is normally a small sandwich board outside saying Hemo or something.
I have not heard about a shortage of Warfarin here. I am on the 5mg tablets, and so far have no problems.

Hi Caligi, I don't know whether they use the automatic testing or not. How can you tell? and does it matter?

Regards, Jim.

clinical laboratary
dr petros c loizou
4 sotiras street
5286 paralimni
tel 23829235
fax23829236
email

paul

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » Doctors / Hospitals / Health & Medicines