Not A Member Yet? See All The Features Of The Forum By Clicking Here To Register For FREE! Or Members Login Below:

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Cyprus Eastern Forum Index
Offering Free Help, Advice, Tips & Support for those buying or living in:
Paralimni - Protaras - Pernera - Kapparis - Agia Napa - Larnaca - Oroklini - Pervolia - Kiti - Xylofagou
Vrysoulles - Frenaros - Dherynia - Sotira - Agia Thekla - Liopetri - Ormidia & surrounding areas...

Main Homepage Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Register Directory Memberlist Search

Ads By Forum Sponsors

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » Doctors / Hospitals / Health & Medicines » Warfarin and dementia
Warfarin and dementia 
Post: #1   PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:27 am Reply with quote
milano
Pictures: 0

It seems there is quite an amount of recent research both in Europe and USA that is showing an increased risk of memory loss and/or dementia in patients using Warfarin long term.

Does anyone have first-hand knowledge or experience of this happening with long-term Warfarin use?

I started researching when someone was telling me that her husband who had been taking Warfarin for 20+ years was rapidly losing his short-term memory.

KIZI
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Hide These Ads? Register for Free or Login

Post: #2   PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 3:59 pm Reply with quote
Kwacka
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Pictures: 3

Yes, a major study does suggest that users of warfarin have a higher rate of dementia than non-users - but there are several things we need to bear in mind e.g. as with all drugs what is the cost/benefit analysis - does advantages of taking a drug outweigh the costs of not taking it? Which is better, the possibility of suffering from astoke or the possibility of dementia at a future date?

Another point is that not every warfarin users will suffer from dementia, nor is there a guarantee that non-users will not suffer from dementia.

Finally, there are several reasons, apart from dementia, that can cause 'forgetfullness' - poor concentration as a result depression or anxiety, drugs used (e.g. cimetidine, cold remedies using antihistamines, antidepressants).

Post: #3   PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 10:58 am Reply with quote
milano

Thanks kwacka, as you say, a lot of points to consider and I'm going to research more. Interestingly a family member suffered from dementia and had never taken warfarin or any other 'heart' medication in her life. And a very old friend, now 78, has taken warfarin for years; has no problems with short or long-term memory and is so fit it's uncanny!

KIZI
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Post: #4   PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 12:54 pm Reply with quote
jims
Pictures: 2

Cardiologist in Paralimni Hospital tend to prescribe rivaroxaban (Xarelto) instead of warfarin, no need for blood tests to get the dosage correct and less side effects.
Only problem is that they prescribe them but you can't get them on prescription from the hospital, have to buy them from pharmacy at 80 for 28 days supply.

Last edited by jims on Sat Feb 04, 2017 6:18 pm; edited 1 time in total

Post: #5   PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 3:54 pm Reply with quote
milano

Isn't that a silly situation: they can prescribe an alternative that doesn't need blood tests to get dosage correct and less side effects, but you can't have them on prescription!!

KIZI

Post: #6   PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 10:33 pm Reply with quote
ethel

jims wrote:
Cardiologist in Paralimni Hospital tend to prescribe rivaroxaban (Xarelto) instead of warfarin, no need for blood tests to get the dosage correct and less side effects.
Only problem is that they prescribe them but you can't get them on prescription from the hospital, have to buy them from pharmacy at 80 for 28 days supply.

50 Euros over the North.

Post: #7   PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:00 pm Reply with quote
journo
Pictures: 17

ethel wrote:
jims wrote:

50 Euros over the North.

I believe there has recently been a hefty increase in the price of all pharmaceuticals in the TRNC. To be absolutley clear, is that the February/March/April 2017 cost for Rivaroxaban that you are quoting please ethel?

Post: #8   PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 12:42 am Reply with quote
ethel

journo wrote:
ethel wrote:
jims wrote:

50 Euros over the North.

I believe there has recently been a hefty increase in the price of all pharmaceuticals in the TRNC. To be absolutley clear, is that the February/March/April 2017 cost for Rivaroxaban that you are quoting please ethel?

I paid 50 Euro for mine 2 weeks ago,i go to the same place every time in Famagusta.

Post: #9   PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 10:17 pm Reply with quote
journo
Pictures: 17

Thank you for your reply, ethel.

Post: #10   PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 4:22 am Reply with quote
jeba

That you might no longer get meds from the North for cheaper (or those not available in the South at all) could be potential downside of reunification (if it ever happens). I hope they will consider this in their talks.
Re ribovaroxan you have to bear in mind that its quite a new drug so there are no long-term studies available yet regarding side-effects. Also in case you overdose it cannot be antagonised (in contrast to warfarin) which incurs the risk of internal bleeding or might cause problems should you need emergency surgery. So its not a case of it wins hands down when compared to warfarin. Doctors who are still using warfarin might have good reason to do so.

Post: #11   PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 4:13 pm Reply with quote
ethel

I have been on Xarelto for over 2 years,its free when in UK but i pay here in Cyprus,it not over 7 years old so no one can make Generic forms of it yet,i had heard that they were making a pirate copy of this in India,but i wouldnt take it personally,it was Euro120 2 years ago,so the price is dropping.

Post: #12   PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:37 am Reply with quote
Steve - SJD
Site Admin
Site Admin
Pictures: 55

Update:
Links only visible to Registered Members
Register for Free or Login to the forum.

Cheers

Steve

Post: #13   PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:30 am Reply with quote
ethel

Steve - SJD wrote:
Update:
Links only visible to Registered Members
Register for Free or Login to the forum.

Cheers

Steve

Medicines are still far and away cheaper in the North than the South,mostly for the same name brands.

Post: #14   PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:17 am Reply with quote
ridinglor

Hi Ethel

I have just changed to Xarelto from Warfarin, due to the side effects and restrictive diet. Is it still cheaper to buy in the North?

Thanks

Post: #15   PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:08 pm Reply with quote
devil
Pictures: 1

Following a massive cerebral infarction causing left side paralysis and partial blindness in 1977, a person I know very well was on Warfarin for about 27 years. In 2004, she had an operation and the Warfarin was stopped for the occasion. Her doctor decided that enough was enough and put her on 100 mg stomach-protecting Aspirin/day rather than resume the Warfarin. She has been on this now for 13 years without any ill-effect, touch wood.

I wonder whether Warfarin or other blood-thinners may not be over-subscribed for long-term use in some cases and could be replaced by Aspirin, possibly depending on the cause of the infarction, whether it be in any organ. Just a thought!

Post: #16   PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:00 pm Reply with quote
Kwacka
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Pictures: 3

Another necro-thread.

Until today the previous post was 7 months ago.

Post: #17   PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:28 am Reply with quote
ethel

ridinglor wrote:
Hi Ethel

I have just changed to Xarelto from Warfarin, due to the side effects and restrictive diet. Is it still cheaper to buy in the North?

Thanks

Yes,it's still cheaper than RoC.
Warfarin and dementia 
  Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » Doctors / Hospitals / Health & Medicines