Not A Member Yet? See All The Features Of The Forum By Clicking Here To Register For FREE! Or Members Login Below:

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Cyprus Eastern Forum Index
Offering Free Help, Advice, Tips & Support for those buying or living in:
Paralimni - Protaras - Pernera - Kapparis - Agia Napa - Larnaca - Oroklini - Pervolia - Kiti - Xylofagou
Vrysoulles - Frenaros - Dherynia - Sotira - Agia Thekla - Liopetri - Ormidia & surrounding areas...

Main Homepage Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Register Directory Memberlist Search

Ads By Forum Sponsors

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » Exchange Money & Rates » Exchange Rates Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Exchange Rates 
Post: #1   PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 6:31 pm Reply with quote
Tigerlily7468
Pictures: 0

Hi - my family and I are due to visit in September and wondering what the current exchange rate is over there - is it better than the banks here? We will be in the Ayia Napa area.
If anyone can help it would be appreciated
Cheers Very Happy
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail AIM Address Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Hide These Ads? Register for Free or Login

Post: #2   PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 7:42 pm Reply with quote
Lyndi

Hi,

The most up to date exchange rate that I have seen over here is 1.14.....

Hope this helps.

Lyndi.

Post: #3   PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 9:51 am Reply with quote
milano

Just seen 1.12 on Larnaca promenade this morning.

KIZI
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Post: #4   PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 6:38 pm Reply with quote
Tigerlily7468

Thanks for your feedback.
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail AIM Address Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Post: #5   PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 7:40 am Reply with quote
Lindy

Please can anyone out and about in the next day or so, tell me what the exchange rate is at Nick's?

TIA
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Post: #6   PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 8:36 am Reply with quote
roods

I've always found the two cards mentioned in the link excellent. Much better than any tourist rates.

Links only visible to Registered Members
Register for Free or Login to the forum.
Exchange rate 
Post: #7   PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 11:42 am Reply with quote
mick turner

1.15 at Nicks yesterday
Re: Exchange rate 
Post: #8   PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 4:07 pm Reply with quote
madmum

mick turner wrote:
1.15 at Nicks yesterday

1.15 this afternoon too. seems to keep jumping between 1.12 & 1.15 did get up to 1.16 a while ago. Nicks & Bootlegger seem to give same rate

Hide These Ads? Register for Free or Login

Post: #9   PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 4:34 pm Reply with quote
bromerzz

Using Transferwise as I did on Friday the rate is 1.1784.

Post: #10   PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 6:54 pm Reply with quote
Lindy

Roods, Madmum, Mick and Bromerzz, many thanks. Asking on behalf of my sister, who is travelling to Cyprus soon.

Slightly better for her to take sterling with her, then walk up to Nick's. We come out later, and I may well try Transferwise.

Thanks again Smile

Post: #11   PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 5:01 pm Reply with quote
madmum

Lindy wrote:
Roods, Madmum, Mick and Bromerzz, many thanks. Asking on behalf of my sister, who is travelling to Cyprus soon.

Slightly better for her to take sterling with her, then walk up to Nick's. We come out later, and I may well try Transferwise.

Thanks again Smile

If you use transferwise or company like that then far as i know you have to have a cyprus bank account to transfer it to. which most wont if only coming on holiday.

my 2 sons here last week and as they did at xmas couldnt be bothered to sort out euro's and just withdrew from ATM's but must be more expensive

Post: #12   PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 5:21 pm Reply with quote
journo
Pictures: 17

madmum wrote:

my 2 sons here last week and as they did at xmas couldnt be bothered to sort out euro's and just withdrew from ATM's but must be more expensive

It probably depends on which Bank, Building Society or other provider issued your sons' ATM cards. Also whether they used a Debit or Credit card.

Some UK providers offer an even better rate than the transfer companies, with no commission or withdrawl charge.

You just have to very carefully read the T&Cs.

Post: #13   PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 5:42 pm Reply with quote
bubblechris

Can't remember 100% but isn't there a benefit in insisting on the bill being paid in the local currency rather than sterling so that the Bank in the UK set the rate of exchange.

Post: #14   PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 6:04 pm Reply with quote
madmum

bubblechris wrote:
Can't remember 100% but isn't there a benefit in insisting on the bill being paid in the local currency rather than sterling so that the Bank in the UK set the rate of exchange.

we often have this conversation in Nicks!!!! seems the benefit of a better exchange rate in sterling is outweighed by what uk bank charge for converting or something. so didnt make a difference to choose to pay in euro or sterling. now try & withdraw cash from BOC ATM & save the charge for paying for cigarettes by card. not that its a great amount.

Post: #15   PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 3:58 pm Reply with quote
madmum

journo wrote:
madmum wrote:

It probably depends on which Bank, Building Society or other provider issued your sons' ATM cards. Also whether they used a Debit or Credit card.

Some UK providers offer an even better rate than the transfer companies, with no commission or withdrawl charge.

both with santander and debit cards. sure there is a charge but they just use the most convenient option regardless

Join Us Today! Register for Free or Login

Post: #16   PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 3:58 pm Reply with quote
madmum

Nicks gone up to 1.16 today.

Post: #17   PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:46 pm Reply with quote
CyprusForMe
Location: Having escaped the near-death experience of Sofia Bulgaria, happily living in Frenaros

It seems pointless to post the exchange rate daily or hourly here. The exchange rate fluctuates by the minute. Why not just look at
for the current market rate instead of asking here what it is at any given moment?

It is well known that:

1. Nick's Bottle Shop gives a fair exchange rate
2. You will get the best rate by using an ATM card in a bank ATM, but there may be fees imposed by your bank.
3. Banks do not generally give the best exchange rate for cash
4. Do not use dynamic currency conversion when using a credit card for charges in a foreign currency - this is a rip-off.

Post: #18   PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:34 pm Reply with quote
sugarray1955

journo wrote:
madmum wrote:

There is only 1 debit card that doesn`t incur charges, that is Norwich & Peterborough.

Post: #19   PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 1:08 pm Reply with quote
CyprusForMe
Location: Having escaped the near-death experience of Sofia Bulgaria, happily living in Frenaros

HSBC Premier does not incur charges. That is what I use.

Post: #20   PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 6:19 am Reply with quote
sugarray1955

CyprusForMe wrote:
HSBC Premier does not incur charges. That is what I use.

According to the HSBC UK website it DOES incur charges if withdrawing from an ATM, screenshot below from the HSBC website?????? And as the majority of posters on here are asking about the exchange rate with Sterling I think the answer I gave is more relevant. If yours is UK based please tell me how to get one that has no charges.

Exchange Rates 
  Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » Exchange Money & Rates