Not A Member Yet? See All The Features Of The Forum By Clicking Here To Register For FREE! Or Members Login Below:

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Cyprus Eastern Forum Index
Offering Free Help, Advice, Tips & Support for those buying or living in:
Paralimni - Protaras - Pernera - Kapparis - Agia Napa - Larnaca - Oroklini - Pervolia - Kiti - Xylofagou
Vrysoulles - Frenaros - Dherynia - Sotira - Agia Thekla - Liopetri - Ormidia & surrounding areas...

Main Homepage Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Register Directory Memberlist Search

Ads By Forum Sponsors

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » Exchange Money & Rates » Bulgarian Lev exchange - where?
Bulgarian Lev exchange - where? 
Post: #1   PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 4:27 pm Reply with quote
Kwacka
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Pictures: 3

We're off to Bulgaria later and have asked at our Cyprus banks for B. Levs but have been told we can only do this over there. I see that the post office & Thomas Cook both offer this service in the UK so it seems that it's not an -ex Eastern Bloc restriction.

Anybody know where I can swap euros for levs in Cyprus, please?

Hide These Ads? Register for Free or Login

Post: #2   PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 8:12 pm Reply with quote
trevnhil
Pictures: 0

We found nowhere at the Western end, and had to get them at Sofia airport. But it was a bad exchange rate,.
Next time we will get a few from the airport and then more from an ATM in Bulgaria

Trev..
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Post: #3   PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 8:45 pm Reply with quote
joedub

Any of the Bulgarian shops will more than likely give you some insider knowledge as to where you can get the best deal wink:
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Post: #4   PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 9:52 pm Reply with quote
journo
Pictures: 17

Travel experts usually advise that you take euros, dollars (or in the past. Sterling)- depending on where you live/are starting your journey - and change the absolute minimum at the airport (enough to get you to your hotel for example).

Taxi drivers and shops etc. only want to accept Lev.

As far as I know, the Lev is still pegged to the euro, so I'd guess taking euros is your best bet.

Then look for good rates in the exchanges etc there.

And exchange houses, I understand, are still banned by law from charging commission.

Post: #5   PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 9:52 pm Reply with quote
Kwacka
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Thanks for the information.

Post: #6   PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 11:04 am Reply with quote
CyprusForMe
Location: Having escaped the near-death experience of Sofia Bulgaria, happily living in Frenaros

There are ATMs in the Sofia airport.

Post: #7   PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 3:52 pm Reply with quote
sandyoap

CyprusForMe wrote:
There are ATMs in the Sofia airport.

what rate you get with an ATM card will depend on the currency denomination of your card and any charges your provider bills. cards might be, but for sure aren't always, the best choice.

Post: #8   PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 5:56 pm Reply with quote
Kwacka
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Thanks for the information folks.

It looks like we'll be taking our Cypriot bank cards & using ATMs, just the usual charge for using a different bank card/ATM.

Hide These Ads? Register for Free or Login

Post: #9   PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 9:03 am Reply with quote
SensibleBob

check with your Cypriot bank first not all cards are valid abroad.We discovered this with our Bank of Cyprus cardin May. Not a problem but annoying if there is no alternative to hand.

Post: #10   PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 2:03 pm Reply with quote
trevnhil

Our BOC cards worked in the ATM machine in Bulgaria.

Trev..

Post: #11   PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 5:13 pm Reply with quote
Kwacka
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

SensibleBob wrote:
check with your Cypriot bank first not all cards are valid abroad.We discovered this with our Bank of Cyprus cardin May. Not a problem but annoying if there is no alternative to hand.

We've used our cards in Germany, Malta, UK & Australia so should be no problem. Will check anyway.

Thanks

Post: #12   PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 8:55 pm Reply with quote
Lyndi

This has puzzled me for some time to be honest - having worked in the banking industry in the uk for 35 years, I am surprised that over here you cannot go into your bank and purchase different currencies via a "Bureau De Change" like in the uk.......I have a sterling account over here which I was advised to open when I purchased my first property - which I have never had a need to use - however when I was going back to the uk a couple of years back I went into the bank to close this account and asked for sterling to take back with me, only to be told that it wasn't possible....very strange to say the least..... they must hold sterling deposits that people pay in, so why a problem......or is it just a case that this is "Cyprus".....

Cheers,
Lyndi.

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » Exchange Money & Rates