Not A Member Yet? See All The Features Of The Forum By Clicking Here To Register For FREE! Or Members Login Below:

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Cyprus Eastern Forum Index
Offering Free Help, Advice, Tips & Support for those buying or living in:
Paralimni - Protaras - Pernera - Kapparis - Agia Napa - Larnaca - Oroklini - Pervolia - Kiti - Xylofagou
Vrysoulles - Frenaros - Dherynia - Sotira - Agia Thekla - Liopetri - Ormidia & surrounding areas...

Main Homepage Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Register Directory Memberlist Search

Ads By Forum Sponsors

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » Ask Nigel A Question » Issue of Title Deeds why the Delay
Issue of Title Deeds why the Delay 
Post: #1   PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 2:19 pm Reply with quote
Bluenose2
Pictures: 0

Last year the Government announced that it was going to make the issue of title deeds easier.

We applied for our deeds in October 2015, to date we have heard zilch.

The Country is crying out for money to be invested in it, so why don't they put a little more pressure on the Land Registry to get them issued.

It beggars belief that the backlog of Title Deeds are sitting in some government "to do file", whilst a number of expats living here are ready to splash the cash.

Get your finger out Land Registry and get them issued now!
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Hide These Ads? Register for Free or Login

Post: #2   PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 3:39 pm Reply with quote
Alanbirkmyre

We applied for our Title Deeds in 2011 under the amnesty, still waiting.
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Post: #3   PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:08 am Reply with quote
Lindy

We also applied in Oct 2015. I was promised an email, once they were going to dispatch 'the' letter. ( I offered to pay p&p for the LR to post the letter to our home in the UK-not allowed) Spent absolutely ages trying to contact the person in LCA LR, to no avail. Made approx 20 attempts this morning. Zilch. Does Cyprus actually NEED this money, I ask myself?

Post: #4   PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:09 am Reply with quote
Lindy

On Friday, I tried at least 35 times to ring the LR, each time getting the recorded message, before the line went dead again.

Didn't try Monday, but tried early this morning, (Tuesday). Whoopee!! Got through first time! Asked what progress had been made on our TD application, and was informed that 'everything is on hold. A problem with the Government' and to ring back next week, when she should know more. I asked whether the registered letter had been sent out, as everyone else on our site had received theirs. 'How can I tell you that'? Was the reply. I suggested that it might have been recorded on her computer? 'NO!' was her rather cross reply.

So, here we are, more than 13 years after buying our house, coming up to 2 years since formally applying for our TDs, and STILL no further forward. Truly pathetic system-or lack of.

Post: #5   PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 1:50 pm Reply with quote
nissibeachapt

We also applied in 2015 and are also waiting. Agree - totally pathetic.

Post: #6   PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 4:53 pm Reply with quote
trevnhil

We always found it better to go in and make inquiries rather than phone the (Paphos) Land Registry . I used to go in every couple of weeks or so, and got to know the people in the various offices there. Even taking Christmas cards at one time.
Files get lost... Files get on the bottom of the pile of files. They get put in cupboards.
If you actually go in person and speak to the people in the different offices I think the action is speeded up, because when they find your file, it goes to the top of the pile..

Trev..

Post: #7   PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 5:07 pm Reply with quote
Woodrow Why?at

I think we need to remember that - as wonderful as it is to live here - Cyprus is little more than a Banana Republic, and if you expect nothing from the governing bodies you will seldom be disappointed!! Cool

Post: #8   PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 5:27 pm Reply with quote
mick turner

Trev, you are spot on. We did exactly the same with Larnaca land registry and although it takes a bit of time and patience, we paid for ours in September and physically got them in our hands 2 weeks ago. It took 2 years from paying our 10, and when we started visiting l.r. things happened. The chap on reception was really helpful.

Cheers Mick

Hide These Ads? Register for Free or Login

Post: #9   PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 7:02 pm Reply with quote
SensibleBob

More than 1200 views of this topic only 6 replies. Says far more about our opinion of Cyprus than words. A far more interesting question: if you realised you would not OWN something you paid for in full would you ever buy it? There must be people deciding not to buy here for that reason. Feed that back to your local hopefuls in the elections. Probably won't make a scrap of difference as at present our votes count for nothing unless you live in Pegeia where ex pats really get involved.

Post: #10   PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:07 pm Reply with quote
scottie

trevnhil wrote:
We always found it better to go in and make inquiries rather than phone the (Paphos) Land Registry . I used to go in every couple of weeks or so, and got to know the people in the various offices there. Even taking Christmas cards at one time.
Files get lost... Files get on the bottom of the pile of files. They get put in cupboards.
If you actually go in person and speak to the people in the different offices I think the action is speeded up, because when they find your file, it goes to the top of the pile..

Trev..

100% correct. Fortnightly visits in person seem to be the requirement. My husband did this and on one occasion he was told the file was upstairs in the mayor's office. So upstairs he went . When my OH asked where they were , he got the Cyprus shrug and a nod toward a table which was piled high with folders . He rifled through these, found ours , put them to the top of the pile and we had them in two weeks . Mind you we had waited 7 years until then lol. You couldn't make it up
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Post: #11   PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:25 pm Reply with quote
cansweet
Pictures: 1

An awful lot of people don't live in Cyprus so cannot just go to the Land Registry willy nilly. I'm still waiting like everyone else and guess we'll be still waiting when the family throw my ashes to the 4 corners of the earth. The Cypriot goverment don't care and the Cypriot people don't care either because they'll just be passing on the property to family for decades to come and have no intention in paying for a bit of paper. The end result is the politicians couldn't give a hoot about foreigners and their deeds and the locals have no intention in rearing up over the piece of paper. So???????????????????????????? Embarassed

Post: #12   PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 7:36 am Reply with quote
FSB Properties
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

cansweet wrote:
Quote:
The Cypriot goverment don't care

It's not a case of not caring, its a case that the problem has been allowed to become very complex with no simple solution, and efforts are being made to aleviate the problems albeit, slow and looks like nothing is happening.

Quote:
the Cypriot people don't care either because they'll just be passing on the property to family for decades to come and have no intention in paying for a bit of paper.

This is completely wrong and false. Firstly, they cannot pass anything on without the deeds and they want them as much as anyone else. One of the first questions asked when a potential buyer (Cypriot) enquires about property is ' Does it have Deeds' they care very much.

Secondly, from memory, there are about 115,000 properties that have no deeds and of those 36,000 are Cypriot buyers and over 600 Cypriot companyies. All these people want and demand the deeds like anyone else. It has nothing to do with be a 'foreigner' as you put it.

Quote:
The end result is the politicians couldn't give a hoot about foreigners and their deeds

Wrong again see my above answer.

Quote:
and the locals have no intention in rearing up over the piece of paper.

Hardly, that piece of paper is everything to them, but perhaps understand that these things take time, yes years and ask any of them waiting if they don't care, you will be surprise. I am waiting along with everyone else, there is only so much one can do, if you are in a position to keep geeing them up all well and good, but otherwise it just gets delayed until they get round to them. Am I happy, damn no! What do you expect the 'locals' as you put it, to do, take up arms??

Member of the AIPP.

Post: #13   PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 7:39 am Reply with quote
nhowarth
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Pictures: 9

If you bought off-plan it typically takes around 10 years to get a Title Deed issued for the property.

A few weeks ago Antonis Loizou expressed his feelings on the subject. See
Links only visible to Registered Members
Register for Free or Login to the forum.

For a blow by blow account of the Land Registry processes involved see
Links only visible to Registered Members
Register for Free or Login to the forum.

It's rubbish to say that politicians couldn't give a hoot about foreigners and their deeds; it just shows how ignorant some people are.

I've had several emails from Brits living in Pegeia complaining that they've received notices from the Land Registry saying that their deeds are ready. These stupid people tell me they don't want them and asking what they can do.

I also have a Cypriot friend who's been trying to get the deeds for her mother's property for 17 years (I bumped into her in the Land Registry). And another friend who recently returned to the UK sold his house to a Cypriot couple who insisted on checking the Title Deeds.

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » Ask Nigel A Question