Not A Member Yet? See All The Features Of The Forum By Clicking Here To Register For FREE! Or Members Login Below:

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Cyprus Eastern Forum Index
Offering Free Help, Advice, Tips & Support for those buying or living in:
Paralimni - Protaras - Pernera - Kapparis - Agia Napa - Larnaca - Oroklini - Pervolia - Kiti - Xylofagou
Vrysoulles - Frenaros - Dherynia - Sotira - Agia Thekla - Liopetri - Ormidia & surrounding areas...

Main Homepage Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Register Directory Memberlist Search

Ads By Forum Sponsors  

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » Doctors / Hospitals / Health & Medicines » Where / how to get medicine Goto page 1, 2  Next
Where / how to get medicine 
Post: #1   PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 5:03 pm Reply with quote
jeba
Pictures: 0

I was looking for sumatriptane, a drug against migraines. According to the official government list (
Links only visible to Registered Members
Register for Free or Login to the forum.

) 6 tablets of 100 mg each cost € 25,49. However, at all pharmacies I asked at I was told that those are not available in Cyprus, but only 2 tablets of 50 mg each for € 13.13.

Can this really be the case? Any ideas where to get it?
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Hide These Ads? Register for Free or Login

Post: #2   PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 9:18 pm Reply with quote
beersmaggie

Try buying the medicine in the north, most meds can be bought there.......Maggie Larnaca

Post: #3   PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 8:05 am Reply with quote
Woodrow Why?at

beersmaggie wrote:
Try buying the medicine in the north, most meds can be bought there.......Maggie Larnaca

Shush........... Laughing Wink

Post: #4   PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 3:24 am Reply with quote
jeba

beersmaggie wrote:

Is it legal to buy there and bring it over? Does it matter where you cross the border? From an older posting I got the impression that there are differences in regulations depending on where you are crossing? Is this really true?
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Post: #5   PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 4:45 am Reply with quote
bubblechris

Be very careful it's a bit like buying medicine over the internet. Do you know who you are dealing with?

Was the petrol problem ever fixed, are they still selling fuel ythat can damage your engine or was that ever rectified?

Can you not get it sent over from the UK? or source it from the US where it is probably a lot cheaper?

Post: #6   PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 10:10 am Reply with quote
Woodrow Why?at

bubblechris wrote:
Be very careful it's a bit like buying medicine over the internet. Do you know who you are dealing with?

Was the petrol problem ever fixed, are they still selling fuel ythat can damage your engine or was that ever rectified?

Can you not get it sent over from the UK? or source it from the US where it is probably a lot cheaper?

Are you still beating your wife, Chris? Laughing Laughing

Post: #7   PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 10:39 am Reply with quote
Mr Tibbs

Woodrow Why?at wrote:
bubblechris wrote:

I think the question is: "When did you stop beating your Wife?" Tricky to answer that one. Very Happy

Post: #8   PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 10:47 am Reply with quote
jeba

bubblechris wrote:

Yes, I could have sent it from Germany, but that would take too long.

Last edited by jeba on Thu Mar 03, 2016 10:47 am; edited 1 time in total

Post: #9   PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 10:47 am Reply with quote
Mr Tibbs

I freely confess that I have to take a particular medication daily for a particular problem not uncommon to the ageing silver fox (cue incoming humiliating one liners!). When I or friends go over I stock up with a supply from Nicosia pharmacies on the other side. I have been doing this for years now and everything's been fine. If you purchase the same drug here it costs something extraordinary more. I can't remember exactly but perhaps 4X.

Pharmacies here seem to be something of a cartel, which is why I imagine there are so many of them.

On the plus side. I refuse to touch Efes! Out of principle.

Post: #10   PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 10:58 am Reply with quote
Woodrow Why?at

Mr Tibbs wrote:
Woodrow Why?at wrote:
bubblechris wrote:

I think the question is: "When did you stop beating your Wife?" Tricky to answer that one. Very Happy

Totally off topic, but that reminds me of a sales course I attended some years ago where it was demonstrated how a sentence can have a different meaning, depending on which word you put the emphasis on!

The example sentence (or collection of words) was;

I..didn't..say..he..beat..his..wife

Try it!!Smile

Post: #11   PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 11:55 pm Reply with quote
ethel

Mr Tibbs wrote:
I freely confess that I have to take a particular medication daily for a particular problem not uncommon to the ageing silver fox (cue incoming humiliating one liners!). When I or friends go over I stock up with a supply from Nicosia pharmacies on the other side. I have been doing this for years now and everything's been fine. If you purchase the same drug here it costs something extraordinary more. I can't remember exactly but perhaps 4X.

Pharmacies here seem to be something of a cartel, which is why I imagine there are so many of them.

Mr Tibbs,if you dont drink Efes,you are missing out on the best lager in Cyprus,apart from Stella,on a hot day Efes in a frozen glass is nectar,btw,i take 9 pills a day,all bought in the North,at least double the money in the Republic.BCs quip on the petrol had me in fits,lol.

Post: #12   PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 9:40 am Reply with quote
bromerzz

[/quote]Mr Tibbs,if you dont drink Efes,you are missing out on the best lager in Cyprus,apart from Stella,on a hot day Efes in a frozen glass is nectar,btw,i take 9 pills a day,all bought in the North,at least double the money in the Republic.BCs quip on the petrol had me in fits,lol.[/quote]

Best you take another tablet then Ethel.

Post: #13   PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 11:25 am Reply with quote
Byker
Membership Closed
Pictures: 4

Mr Tibbs wrote:

Not being burdened with many myself. I'm struggling to figure what the principle might be MrT Question

bromerzz wrote:
Mr Tibbs,if you dont drink Efes,you are missing out on the best lager in Cyprus,apart from Stella,on a hot day Efes in a frozen glass is nectar,btw,i take 9 pills a day,all bought in the North,at least double the money in the Republic.BCs quip on the petrol had me in fits,lol.[/quote]

Best you take another tablet then Ethel.[/quote]

You and I have exactly the same thoughts and tastes...In beer at least!
One of the best salad dressings here, half the price in the North

Links only visible to Registered Members
Register for Free or Login to the forum.

Luckily, apart from a voluntarily taken multi vitamin pill and a omega 3 capsule I don't take any pills, but if I had to buy wouldn't hesitate to buy in the North, I know may GCs here that do.

BC. given the size of the place there is no need to buy petrol or diesel in the North, unless on a motorcycle, which I've done many times without issue, on my work fleet I do have a 25000km, 2012 Mercedes S350CDi which has had problems due to "poor quality diesel" (Quote from Mercedes)...It has only been filled at a local Petrolina station. Rolling Eyes
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Post: #14   PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:16 am Reply with quote
jeba

Mr Tibbs wrote:
When I or friends go over I stock up with a supply from Nicosia pharmacies on the other side.

Are there pharmacies within walking distance of the border? If so, which border crossing should I use? I donīt want having to buy Northern insurance just in order to drive 2 km or so.

Post: #15   PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:55 am Reply with quote
Mr Tibbs

jeba wrote:
Mr Tibbs wrote:
When I or friends go over I stock up with a supply from Nicosia pharmacies on the other side.

Are there pharmacies within walking distance of the border? If so, which border crossing should I use? I donīt want having to buy Northern insurance just in order to drive 2 km or so.

Yes, there are. You can cross near the Nicosia bus terminal and there are several pharmacies within walking distance of the line. I have never had a problem procuring medications or with the quality, although I've heard stories about people who have.

We got a bus from the old port in Limassol to Nicosia for only €10 return. It also stops at IKEA.

Re: Ain't what you say, it's.......... 
Post: #16   PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 4:57 pm Reply with quote
journo
Pictures: 17

Woodrow Why?at wrote:

Totally off topic, but that reminds me of a sales course I attended some years ago where it was demonstrated how a sentence can have a different meaning, depending on which word you put the emphasis on!

The example sentence (or collection of words) was;

I..didn't..say..he..beat..his..wife

Try it!!Smile

Beat her at what? Tennis?

Post: #17   PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:58 pm Reply with quote
Lyndi

Byker,

Off topic but would be interested to know more about this salad dressing.....

Cheers,
Lyndi.

Post: #18   PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 2:49 pm Reply with quote
Mr Tibbs

Lyndi wrote:
Byker,

Cheers,
Lyndi.

Byker's long gone unfortunately. Sad

Post: #19   PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 3:16 pm Reply with quote
Larryand Sue

Lyndi wrote:
Byker,

Cheers,
Lyndi.

"Nar" is pomegranate and the sauce can be bought at any market (up here).

If I were looking to buy medicines without driving over, I think I would cross on foot into Beyarmudu from the "Pyla" crossing.

Post: #20   PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:05 am Reply with quote
Dave B

Mr Tibbs wrote:

Exactly right on the meds however an occasional Efes does no harm. We call it rebel beer in our house.

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » Doctors / Hospitals / Health & Medicines