Not A Member Yet? See All The Features Of The Forum By Clicking Here To Register For FREE! Or Members Login Below:

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Cyprus Eastern Forum Index
Offering Free Help, Advice, Tips & Support for those buying or living in:
Paralimni - Protaras - Pernera - Kapparis - Agia Napa - Larnaca - Oroklini - Pervolia - Kiti - Xylofagou
Vrysoulles - Frenaros - Dherynia - Sotira - Agia Thekla - Liopetri - Ormidia & surrounding areas...

Main Homepage Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Register Directory Memberlist Search

Ads By Forum Sponsors  

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » Moving Diaries » Pam and John's moving Diary.
Pam and John's moving Diary. 
Post: #1   PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 9:13 pm Reply with quote
Hogarth55
Pictures: 2

We decided to move to Cyprus years ago, but things just got in the way, then in September 06, we came on holiday with our daughter and grandson, bought a Pub! no going back we thought, but alas, on our arrival home, things took a very bad turn, and without going into detail, had to face a huge, and very expensive custody case for our grandson, who has lived with us all his life. This was the worst year of our lives, but we had to put everything on hold for a very good cause. On the 16th August 07, we got the news we had prayed for, and we were on our way at last with our grandson Jack. We quickly rented a Villa, and booked our flights for the 31st August. We arrived very late, emotionaly drained, but found a huge 'welcome pack' from Deanna and Vince, including a bottle of vodka, which I sunk half of immediatly! We had very quickly booked a container, and to be honest, couldn't remember what was on it till it got here. However, as soon as we hit Cypriot soil, we knew we were home, a great feeling, which has not left us. The pub is delayed due to planning, but we are not fazed, we have invested our capital, and living off the interest very well. Three day's into our new life, our daughter phoned to ask to join us afterall!! so she is here, what can you do? our lives are never dull! Six days after we arrived, our son called to say ' guess what, you are going to be grandparents again, we are thrilled, but we aint going back! We have made some lovely friends, and are enjoying life to the full.

Arrow Edit: Pam and John's Moving Diary - Your Comments

Hide These Ads? Register for Free or Login

Post: #2   PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 9:38 pm Reply with quote
Hogarth55

Hi folks, Still loving Cyprus, and getting into the way of things, We experienced our first thunder storm last night-wow, and we have been here in winter before, so the dull weather isn't a shock, besides, we are used to a lot worse! Our Daughter has gone back to Scotland, not good for our grandson, but he has us, and we will work hard to make sure he is happy. We have four friends coming on Wednesday, so preparing for fun, and so looking forward to their company. Our only 'moan' is M@S food, how we miss it, and sky, but we are going to fix that in time for Christmas, I will let you know how we do it later. Cyprus is not a cheap place to live food wise, we are spending as much as we did at home, but fags and booze are cheap so I'm happy!!

Post: #3   PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 1:24 pm Reply with quote
Hogarth55

Very Happy Still loving Cyprus! but alas, we have discovered our shippers were not as good as we first thought, yes, we have things missing, the shippers atitude? get on to your insurance! missing gas central heating, but keeping cozy. Our son and his girlfriend arrive on Tuesday, so looking forward to patting her tummy(she is pregnant) but not looking forward to saying goodbye. The biggest surprise has been what we get to do with our days! I don't know how we will have time to work! Jack is doing really well, and making friends, he is also coping well with having us 'oldies' as parents, and he is keeping us young-and tired!

Post: #4   PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 1:23 pm Reply with quote
Hogarth55

Crying or Very sad Oh Dear, our Son and fiancee have just left after a lovely week with us, I am very down and for the first time since arriving, I want to go home. I dread only three of us on Christmas morning, and hope we can make Jacks first Christmas here a good one. But the good news is, they are coming back in February, then in summer with the new baby, then they will spend next Christmas here with us. I have been in tears for thre hours now, hope it's going to get better. I will let you know.

Post: #5   PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 9:33 am Reply with quote
Hogarth55

Very Happy Thanks so much Ruth and Angela for your kind words, I can report that I am feeling much better now thank god! we have spent a fortune on presents for Jack, and our friends here, Mel and James, and Deanna and Vince, all members here, are bossing me into feeling good,(thank god for them) such kind people. John is faring better than me, but then he lived in a foriegn country, (Scotland) for 35 years!! so he is used to it lol. the web-cam is getting hammered, what a great invention it is! Cyprus is proving to be a really lovely place to live, I don't miss Scotland a bit, just the people i love, it's a funny thing, I miss England! but wouldn't like to bring Jack up there, so i don't harbour any plans to go anywhere. Jack loves living here, it's a great place for kids, and he is talking to us in Greek, he could be saying anything lol we wouldn't know! We are looking forward to welcoming friends on hogmany, so anyone around Aiya Triada is very welcome to pop in. We are in negotiations for another pub, the one in Kapparis is taking too long to get 'change of use' permission, and we need to get on and do something, we are too young to retire yet!!

Post: #6   PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 12:21 pm Reply with quote
Hogarth55

Thanks May for your kind words, First christmas? Fab, we had lunch at the Cava with friends, then down to our local to see our cypriot friends. I was abit teary at the Cava, thinking of christmas's past with all the family, and I missed my son, but all n all it was good. Jack has had a ball!! and to our delight enjoyed the day so much-considering. A big thanks to our friends for making our first Christmas so good.
We have secured a new business in Pernera, and look forward now to startng work at last. Next update in 08.

Post: #7   PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 1:22 pm Reply with quote
Hogarth55

Hi Folks, A good start to the new year, we are settling in more and more, Jack is loving school, even with the boredom, and his greek is getting really good. John is not taking to not working very well, but he only has a few weeks to go before we open up. got a bit down last night after a call from our son to tell us our new grandchild is to be a girl! this is what we were hoping for, but I just want to be with them so I can cluck, plus, the baby is due the first week in june, and there is no way we can get back to Scotland in the middle of our first season, so we will have to wait till the baby is old enough to travel to Cyprus,probably a couple of months? There are lot's of baby shops here, and now that I know it's a girl, I am ready to start shopping for all those lovely pink things, that should keep me busy till i have to go slave over the hot stove! Moving house at the end of February, to Kapparis, so a busy time ahead. Still no regrets, apart from the new baby.

Post: #8   PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 11:02 pm Reply with quote
Hogarth55

Been doing-or rather John has been doing a count of what the cost of living really is here in Cyprus, not good news-and we are Scots! We have been here five months, and gone through many thousands, and have spoken with friends who arrived at the same time, and they have gone through more! Cyprus is expensive, and we can't figure out why, since everything seems to be cheaper? Apart from that, Conors problems are bringing us down, and have given us a wake-up call,before we arrived, it was our intention to eventually buy a house, now? you should never say never, but certainly never off-plan, and never without deeds. Renting is foriegn to us, but the interest on our capital pays for it, and now, even more, we need the security of our nest egg. I'm writing f rom the heart now guy's, but if I am going to do this diary, I may as well be as honest as I can. I have had more than one thought of 'We have made a mistake' i now understand the phrase,'I am longing for my ane folk' cos I am! I never thought I would see the day! but, every morning, when I wake up to the sun, I feel so much better, this is a lovely island with mostly lovely people, and I know for sure, that this is a much better place to bring up Jack, who I worry about constantly, what if something happens to us?is my constant favourite, or, what if, when he grows up, he wants to go back to Scotland, what if he isn't getting the right education, it goes on and on. When I am having these thoughts, I remind myself of the reasons we wanted to come here, and what we intended to do, this is good therapy, and I highly reccomend it when you are having doubts, it works! I'm going to bed now, I'm nearly 58, and i have to get up at six thirty to take Jack to school! this is something I thought I wouldn't be doing in my new life, but hey! it keeps me young, and I have made new friends in the playground! I am so lucky-but so tired.

Hide These Ads? Register for Free or Login

Post: #9   PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 8:50 pm Reply with quote
Hogarth55

Well, here we are approaching February. I am much happier this week,with only days till we take control of our new business. I have been so bored here over the winter, it was certainly a wake-up call, and we will be more prepared for it next winter. Also, it has been surprisingly cold, I remember Elizabeth saying that you need central heating here-she was so right! so we look forward to our move in three weeks time, mind you, we shouldn't need heating by then? Our Jack is happy, he has made more friends, and has been playing with them to-day in Kapparis. He says the only thing he misses about Scotland is our house, well, he was brought up there, and felt secure. Apart from that, everythng is tickedy-boo! Met some lovely ladies at the coffee morning, I highly reccomend anyone new to go!

Post: #10   PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 11:30 pm Reply with quote
Hogarth55

On the 31st of this month-one year! The Pub is so hard work, and John's leg is sore, Hmm we will see. Cyprus? yes, still good, still where we want to be-we think! Greek Schools? rubbish, big dissapointment, so going down another route. A huge learning curve? yep!

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » Moving Diaries