Not A Member Yet? See All The Features Of The Forum By Clicking Here To Register For FREE! Or Members Login Below:

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Cyprus Eastern Forum Index
Offering Free Help, Advice, Tips & Support for those buying or living in:
Paralimni - Protaras - Pernera - Kapparis - Agia Napa - Larnaca - Oroklini - Pervolia - Kiti - Xylofagou
Vrysoulles - Frenaros - Dherynia - Sotira - Agia Thekla - Liopetri - Ormidia & surrounding areas...

Main Homepage Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Register Directory Memberlist Search

Ads By Forum Sponsors

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » Exchange Money & Rates » Problems at Currency Fair Goto page 1, 2  Next
Problems at Currency Fair 
Post: #1   PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 6:24 am Reply with quote
Jascat
Pictures: 0

I am posting this in the general section, in order for it to get maximum exposure.
Four days ago I transferred cash from CF to my account in Cyprus.

Yesterday I also transferred cash into CF to exchange for Euros, also to transfer to Cyprus. This normally takes about two hours to appear in my CF account.

In both cases, the cash has never been seen again.

CF are not responding to e-mails & do not answer the phone.
Others are also having problems. Here is one example from another expat site.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We used the new bank details and last Thursday 28th January we placed a money transfer of £500 to Currency Fair who we have been dealing with for several years- on Friday 29thJanuary at 08:00 am we exchanged the £500 for 654€ - 657€ less 3€ transfer charge, and requested an immediate transfer to our French bank; this historically takes a couple of hours (and at the worst arrives in our bank the next day). To put this into context £500 is just over 3 weeks of my pension

On Monday 1st February I rang Currency Fair (at about midday) to see where the money was, I was told there were a few teething troubles with their new bank and it may take a little longer; on Tuesday afternoon 2nd February I rang again to see where the funds were and was informed (by Geoff) that their Bank had failed to make the requested transfer, and that they would sort it out immediately and then discuss “compensation” with me.

I waited until today - and this morning 4th February and checked my account again – there being no transfer I again rang Currency fair, this time they said that they would have to contact the bank to see what was happening, we have been fobbed off, by which feels like every operator in the company, with every excuse under the sun, and OUR money is still in their system somewhere; an hour later I rang them again only to be told that their bank had NOT made the promised second transfer; and that they would investigate using another bank to transfer the funds and let me know within a few minutes.

TWO hours later I was still waiting for the information; in that time I have been making calls to their offices and am constantly on hold; I have so far answered their telephone survey – part of the on hold process twice (guess what my responses have been?) and left 2 messages for them to call me back, so far they have not.

At 12:53 (French time) I called again and spoke to Geoff who explained that the transfer was being undertaken by another bank and would be in our account today; he also said that he would ring me back at 6:00pm (French time) to check the situation.

Am I hopeful - I think there is more chance of me swimming the channel

The other half has just told me that French Entree are listing lots of problems with Currency fair as well
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Hide These Ads? Register for Free or Login

Post: #2   PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 7:19 am Reply with quote
Jascat

I phoned CF this morning & the call was answered. I was surprised there was someone there (must be burning the midnight oil).
The story I was told was, Bank of America CF's old bank, was not happy with the amount of money going through the account & were closing it, giving CF thirty days to find a new bank.
A rushed change to Barclays has caused teething troubles, but CF were working through them.
Hopefully this is not a line they are spinning & things get back to normal quickly.
In the meantime it will cause difficulties for people relying on the cash.
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Post: #3   PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 8:13 am Reply with quote
Hudswell

An unfortunate experience and hopefully not indicative of future transfers...but I suppose a few teething issues were to be expected. We transferred money on Friday using the same system, we expected it to be in the bank on Monday..it took until first think Tuesday morning. Considering what must have been a major change we are still happy with the service.

Mercury Rising

Post: #4   PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 9:59 am Reply with quote
Jascat

Quick update. The transfer of funds from CF to my Bank of Cyprus account came through this morning. It has taken five days instead of the normal one.
The sterling deposit into CF has still not shown up in my CF account.
At least the system is still working, albeit slowly at the moment.

Post: #5   PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 10:45 am Reply with quote
SensibleBob

Look at the details on your bank of Cyprus statement and see who the routing agent was. In old times they used Citibank I think but each bank will have a different nominated agent. This may be helpful in finding out a problem if future delays occur. This reflects very badly on CF who until now have provided a fantastic service for me and may be interested in your findings.

Post: #6   PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 11:12 am Reply with quote
Jascat

The sending bank was Deutsche bank, Frankfurt & the routing bank was Skandinaviska Enskilda bank, Finland.

No mention of Barclays.

My sterling deposit has finally arrived in my CF account.

Post: #7   PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 1:44 pm Reply with quote
Aargent

Does anyone have an update on the CF situation ?

Nil illigitimae carborundum

Post: #8   PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 5:51 pm Reply with quote
Hudswell

As I have already said, made my usual monthly transfer, using the new banking details. Money was transferred about 1600hrs on the Friday and appeared in my Cypriot account first thing Tuesday..a slight delay but happy with the service.

Mercury Rising

Hide These Ads? Register for Free or Login

Post: #9   PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 7:31 pm Reply with quote
Lyndi

Hi,

I transferred money from my uk bank account to the new CF bank details no problem - I have yet to exchange to Euro's but because the exchange rate is pretty low I am waiting to see if it improves before doing so.....will keep you updated......

Cheers,

Lynn.

Post: #10   PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:04 am Reply with quote
billibob

I transferred some money last week and chose the automatically exchange and deposit option. All went fine although I must say it took longer than normal and when I rang them i was on hold for 10 minutes.

Has made me a bit unsure as things are definitely not the same with CF at the moment. Hope its bank teething troubles but you would have thought they would have got that sorted by now considering the amount of money they handle.

Post: #11   PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 7:15 am Reply with quote
Jascat

Having done a number of transactions since the new banking arrangements, it is taking on average, one day longer than it used to for money to appear in my Cyprus bank account.
Not to bad, so I will keep using Currency Fair.

Post: #12   PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 11:32 am Reply with quote
peterpanicos

Deposited money yesterday and it took 23 hours for it to clear, used to be 1 to 2 hours. There is still a message on the website saying they are still having delays in processing times, if it does not improve I will be trying one of their competitors.

Post: #13   PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 2:42 pm Reply with quote
Fenny

I use transferwise whish shows the rate used and when the deposit to the receiving bank is expected (sometimes same day sometimes next day). Quite happy to use them.

Post: #14   PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 5:48 pm Reply with quote
Chris490

Fenny wrote:
I use transferwise whish shows the rate used and when the deposit to the receiving bank is expected (sometimes same day sometimes next day). Quite happy to use them.

I use Transferwise, very good service used many times without any problems at all - would recommend them.

Post: #15   PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 3:18 pm Reply with quote
lamby

Transferred some money into GBP CurrencyFair a/c last Wed evening,exchanged that evening and was in my Cyprus bank a/c Thursday.very pleased.
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Join Us Today! Register for Free or Login

Post: #16   PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 10:35 am Reply with quote
peterpanicos

Seems to be very hit and miss at the moment. Did another transfer Thursday morning, still not received it. Got quite another transfer to do on Thursday but will be giving Transferwise a try especially as the first transfer is commission free.

Post: #17   PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 11:10 am Reply with quote
SensibleBob

seems to take at least a day longer.My most recent transaction was sent by my UK bank Monday midday and no acknowledgement from CF till 16.00 which was a lot slower than previously.The funds were in BoC today and were routed via AIB Dublin onto Deutsche Bank. This is obviously a change with AIB not having direct correspondent agency with DB hence the one day delay.

The rate is immaterial witn sterling underso much pressure but reflects very well when compaired to spot rates on the wholesale market monday/Tuesday so will continue to use and recommend CF.

Post: #18   PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 12:21 pm Reply with quote
Chris490

Used Transferwise yesterday, all completed and in my Bank within 60 mins👌
Currency Fair 
Post: #19   PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 4:22 pm Reply with quote
SilkmaninCyprus

I too have had major problems over my last two transfers where CF have apparently "lost" my money to their new bankers.
Last time I contacted their MD and he sorted it all out but I have now enquired as to when the problem will finally resolved as I am loathe to use them again as I rely on my pension coming in and would rather pay my bank to transfer although it is hugely more expensive.
Once I can understand - twice is too many!
Dave

Post: #20   PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 12:07 pm Reply with quote
peterpanicos

Used Transferwise yesterday, very easy process, so I thought, got an email from them an hour after transferring money, seemingly my bank had not included my name in the transfer, never had this problem with CF. Had to send 2 screenshots from my bank account confirming the transaction. Just gone into my account now, has taken exactly 24 hours to complete, all in all quite happy with the experience apart from the screenshot episode.

Problems at Currency Fair 
  Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » Exchange Money & Rates