Not A Member Yet? See All The Features Of The Forum By Clicking Here To Register For FREE! Or Members Login Below:

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Cyprus Eastern Forum Index
Offering Free Help, Advice, Tips & Support for those buying or living in:
Paralimni - Protaras - Pernera - Kapparis - Agia Napa - Larnaca - Oroklini - Pervolia - Kiti - Xylofagou
Vrysoulles - Frenaros - Dherynia - Sotira - Agia Thekla - Liopetri - Ormidia & surrounding areas...

Main Homepage Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Register Directory Memberlist Search

Ads By Forum Sponsors

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » Advocates » Solicitors Fees Goto page 1, 2  Next
Solicitors Fees 
Post: #1   PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 7:33 pm Reply with quote
maddy
Pictures: 0

Is it normal to pay your solicitors fees before completion and even before your house has been built
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Hide These Ads? Register for Free or Login

Post: #2   PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 7:43 pm Reply with quote
THEredtrike

Hi

I cant speak for the others, but we did pay before completion, and also before the building work started but not before they had actually done the paperwork and sorted out the wills for us.
Originally they did ask for the money up front but they were told that payment would be made afterwards.

No doubt the others will be able to help a bit more on this subject

hope this helps

Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail MSN Messenger Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Post: #3   PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 8:04 pm Reply with quote
Steve - SJD
Site Admin
Site Admin
Pictures: 55

Maddy,

I would say it is unusual for a advocate to ask for the fees
up-front. I do know that it happens but would say that the
majority pay after the work has been completed. Personally
it was couple of months after I was in the property before I
paid the advocate.

HTH

Cheers

Steve
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Post: #4   PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 9:09 pm Reply with quote
adyandkaren
Pictures: 23

Hi all
Good question.
We have had our keys since February this year and are kind-of expecting something from the solicitor any time, but it has just happened yet.

Is this in itself unusual ?

Ady and Karen

Post: #5   PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 9:22 pm Reply with quote
THEredtrike

oops Embarassed Just talked to the boss and she informs me that we didnt pay the full amount to the solicitors, the rest comes after completion
just shows you how much attention I pay to the money side Embarassed

Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail MSN Messenger Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Post: #6   PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 10:01 pm Reply with quote
TriadaTrio

Last edited by TriadaTrio on Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:19 am; edited 1 time in total
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Post: #7   PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 10:19 am Reply with quote
Yvette
Pictures: 5

I've been billed for what mine has done so far, he's done so much work for me I was dreading the bill, but it was about a 1/4 of what I'd estitmated based on my UK solicitor's bills for conveyancing and my divorce. Very good value. He only charged me 60 for staying the whole day in Larnaca, running around here, there and everywhere, even going to court at one stage. Brilliant. Would recomend him to anyone.

Post: #8   PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 10:23 am Reply with quote
Ristac
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Pictures: 13

We had to pay ours midway through. We were told all the work is done at the start of your purchase. We have to pay one more fee of around 1000 when the land registry papers arrive.

Regards
Richard

Hide These Ads? Register for Free or Login

Post: #9   PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 6:33 pm Reply with quote
Yvette

Did you use Stelios at Kallis and Kallis too Archntina?

Post: #10   PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 2:13 pm Reply with quote
Yvette

It's really nice to know that these lawyers are not like their rip-off British counterparts (in my experience anyway!) I have found all in all my dealings with the Cypriots that they are lovely people and very fair, maybe I've just been lucky, but its a welcome refreshing change for me and I can't wait to move over there.

Post: #11   PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 9:47 am Reply with quote
Louisez

Hi

I just thought Id have an input here to explain regarding payment of fees. At my firm on a property purchase we ask for 50% of the fees upfront (bear in mind we start to incur expenses for company searches and Land Registry searches from the start) - and when we have done all of the legal work (ie searches, drafted and negotiated the contract etc etc) we ask clients to send the second 50% payment along with their payment to be made on signing and the stamp duty.

Yvette - unfortunately there are lawyers who will overcharge in every country and those of us who will charge fairly - as with every profession. In my experience nationality has little to do with it. The key is to find a lawyer who you trust (of whichever nationality)...

Kind regards

Louise

Post: #12   PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 1:25 pm Reply with quote
harvester

I'd say it is alot worse in Cyprus then other countries- very hard to find a reasonable and fair lawyer in larnaca, but maybe I have been unlucky. In my view, better to go to another place, ie Nicosia as in Larnaca everyone knows each other.

Post: #13   PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 8:08 am Reply with quote
Louisez

Hi

Yes - many clients do tell me that they prefer to instruct a lawyer in a different area to avoid conflicts arising!

I would agree that because of the size of the island it can sometimes be more difficult to find a reasonable and fair lawyer. I believe the key is to find an independent lawyer.

Kind regards

Louise

Post: #14   PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 11:22 am Reply with quote
MAXWELL

Hi Harvester they also say the same about Paralimni Lawers
Maxwell

Post: #15   PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 5:51 pm Reply with quote
lewis

my lawyer has sent me her bill and nothing built yet
does not reply to e-mails never available on the telephone
hearing some bad reports about her
Not paying this bill at the moment

Join Us Today! Register for Free or Login

Post: #16   PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 7:25 pm Reply with quote
Louisez

The fact that building work has not been started does not mean your lawyer is not entitled to be paid if legal work has been carried out on your behalf. Be careful not to get yourself sued!

Post: #17   PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 10:10 am Reply with quote
MAXWELL

Mad Hi Lewis
how can you pay a bill for something that has not been built yet , keep your money in your pocket for now . Who is your Solicitor ?
Maxwell .

Post: #18   PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 2:22 pm Reply with quote
lewis

MAXWELL wrote:
Mad Hi Lewis
how can you pay a bill for something that has not been built yet , keep your money in your pocket for now . Who is your Solicitor ?
Maxwell .

hi there
solictor emily lemonaiti

Post: #19   PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 2:27 pm Reply with quote
lewis

Louisez wrote:
The fact that building work has not been started does not mean your lawyer is not entitled to be paid if legal work has been carried out on your behalf. Be careful not to get yourself sued!

Hi there
I have not refused to pay but want an explantion and proper breakdown of the bill
It is more than orginally quoted
would not pay a bill in England till satisfied lweis

Post: #20   PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:33 am Reply with quote
Louisez

I suggest you make sure that you have your request in writing - fax or letter rather than email. I have been involved in two cases lately where a lawyer has been very, very quick to issue court proceedings for recovery of their fees
Solicitors Fees 
  Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » Advocates