Not A Member Yet? See All The Features Of The Forum By Clicking Here To Register For FREE! Or Members Login Below:

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Cyprus Eastern Forum Index
Offering Free Help, Advice, Tips & Support for those buying or living in:
Paralimni - Protaras - Pernera - Kapparis - Agia Napa - Larnaca - Oroklini - Pervolia - Kiti - Xylofagou
Vrysoulles - Frenaros - Dherynia - Sotira - Agia Thekla - Liopetri - Ormidia & surrounding areas...

Main Homepage Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Register Directory Memberlist Search

Ads By Forum Sponsors

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » Moving Diaries » Bigal & Ruth's Moving Diary
Bigal & Ruth's Moving Diary 
Post: #1   PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 1:51 pm Reply with quote
bigal
Pictures: 1

What a great idea Steve. Our moving journey is only just beginning but here's whats happened so far..... Smile

At the beginning of this year, with Allans health not so good, we decided this would be our "moving year". Decided we would wait till May to put the UK house on the market with a view to moving in mid October (already had flights booked so seemed like a good plan).

April 27th Allan in A&E of local hospital - confirmed as having a heart attack. Postpone putting house on market till after further tests Sad . Start clearing junk anyway as its never too early to start.

May 22nd Appointment with cardiology. Angiogram required. Keep sorting/redecorating house but still feel we shouldn't put it on the market till we find out what - if any - surgery Allan requires.

During June 07 enjoyed two fabulous weeks in house in Cyprus & knew we were doing the right thing in wanting to spend the rest of our lives there. Hoped we could still use October flights even if only for a holiday.

July 4th. Angiogram confirmed Allans needed 4way heart bypass Sad .

Sept 3rd. Appt at St Bartholomews Hospital London. Put on the waiting list. Told surgery would be done before Christmas but in the meantime Allan advised not to fly so no October holiday.

Sept 8th UK house put on the market. Potential buyers to be advised move may not be till new year in view of surgery & rehab.

Sept 17th letter arrived with operation date.

Oct 1st Accepted offer of full asking price for UK house. Buyer happy with suggested timetable for move Very Happy Very Happy .

Mid Oct signed up with solicitors

Oct 30th Allan underwent succesful 4way heart bypass.

Nov 5th Estate agent confirmed there is now 3 in our chain with property 3 not sold but having quite a few viewings. Still looking at end of February for our move to Cyprus.

We'll keep you posted Very Happy

Bigal & Ruth Smile

Arrow
Links only visible to Registered Members
Register for Free or Login to the forum.

Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Hide These Ads? Register for Free or Login

Post: #2   PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 1:19 pm Reply with quote
bigal

How many knocks can you take in one year? Evil or Very Mad

Everything appeared hunky dorey. Our chain bacame complete with only 5 "movers" (us being number 1 at the top of course).

The four below us wanted things moved along pretty sharpish. "No Problem" our buyer said. "If Ruth & Allan are not quite ready when eveyone else is I'll go to my parents for a short period". Smile

That took the pressure off us till Allans check-up last week back at St Barts. He was given the all clear so we said "Lets go, get the paperwork sorted asap".

Then the estate agent announced that number 4 down the chain has pulled out.

Our buyer started getting the jitters but the estate agent worked hard to keep things going. Confused Rolling Eyes

Then my dad died & we had to stand back a bit from it all as that took priority. Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

It was dads funeral yesterday afternoon. When Allan turned his mobile phone back on there was an urgent message to phone the estate agent.

Our buyer has pulled out. Crying or Very sad Evil or Very Mad

I've been into the agent this morning. They have already started looking for potential buyers to the extent that I had just over an hour to get the house presentable before someone came round to view.

Now you have to remember that most of the last four months have been spent at various hospitals & although I have tried to keep on top of the general day - to - day housework it is not in "showhouse" mode.

Add to that the boxes full of my late fathers paperwork (Allan is excecutor) & I had a bit of a panic. Thank goodness we have kept the estate agents informed of everything & they will explain to viewers why things are a bit chaotic.

I'm determined we will be getting the flight in February so lets hope the estate agents can work a bit of Christmas magic.

Ruth & Bigal

Post: #3   PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 7:11 pm Reply with quote
bigal

Well last night we had what we had titled our "Bon Voyage" Party.

Around 80 family & friends gathered in a local school hall so that we could say our goodbyes & have a damn good knees-up.

Earlier in the day the estate agent had phoned & asked if a viewer could pop round. We were knee deep in sausage rolls, pork pies & everything else that makes up a buffet but we asked for half an hours grace before they came round - you never know this could be THE BUYER.

Complete waste of time. I always try & draw people to come right into each room but the "Mrs" barely stepped into any of the rooms before moving on. "Mr" took more interest & asked a few questions but there was no "vibe".

Never mind, the party was the important event of the day & it went really well & everybody had a great time. Mystery parcels kept appearing on a table that our daughter had got ready & we got loads of good luck cards.

So it was that we found ourselves back home around 1.30am this morning with the grandchildren tucked up in bed, hardly being able to move from the aches of so much dancing, opening the many parcels. Our family & friends have been really thoughtful & gifts include one of those digital/electronic photo frames & a tray with a scene of our (UK)town on it which I will use when taking cold drinks to the poolside.

The presents that bought the tears to both of us though were 3 "oil" canvas photos (you know what I mean). One of our son & daughter, one of our daughter,son-in-law & the 2 children & thirdly one of all 5 of them.

They will take pride of place in our new home.

So with 31 days to go & all the "Au Revoirs" said, the container is booked for the 25th Feb & despite still not having a buyer we are going to fly out on the 27th.

See you all soon

Bigal & Ruth Very Happy Very Happy

Arrow

Post: #4   PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 4:39 pm Reply with quote
bigal

This time in 2 weeks we will be half way through our flight to Larnaca airport & our new life in Paralimni.
Very Happy YIPPEE Very Happy

Since our party we don't seem to have stopped. A friend from Nottingham, who doesn't drive, was collected by us & bought back to our house so she could stay a couple of days & was then "chaufered" back home.

Other friends up in Warwickshire, now too elderly to drive, were visited on Sunday.

Furniture has been given away to family & friends. Our aquarium now resides up in North Yorkshire with Allans sister. They came in a large van last week to take the fish, the sideboard, & other bits of matching lounge furniture.

Our sons room is full of boxes ready for his move. Friends have offered to have him as their lodger in their spare room till he goes off travelling the world in August. He's taking all his furniture which his friends have agreed to keep while he's away so he has somewhere to come back to for a while till he gets a new job & a place of his own.

Our daughter & family have already booked to come out to visit in April. We will only have had 2 weeks to unpack boxes before they arrive so I told her she may have to sleep in one of the empty boxes Smile But its nice that it will only be 4 weeks before we get visitors which (I'm hoping) will make our goodbyes a little easier at the airport.

Till the final few days I don't think I can pack any more stuff. I'm down to the bare minimum. I'm using up stuff from the freezer ready to defrost it & my food cupboards are almost empty.

The mail has been redirected to our daughters address & we think we've done eveything we need to before we go.....................except..........

WE STILL HAVEN'T SOLD THE B***** HOUSE. Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

It is worrying Allan so much that we have now been forced to lower the price to see if that helps.

I KNOW it will sell, its just when & how much for & although we don't need the money to "live" in Cyprus Allan wants the reassurance of the cushion that the house sale will bring.

Oh well, 14 days is a long time in the moving game & we may yet get a buyer.

Ruth & Bigal

Arrow

Post: #5   PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 10:20 pm Reply with quote
bigal

Well, here we are at our daughters for our last night in the UK. This time tomorrow (UK time) we should be "at home" in Paralimni.

Our shipping company came with their removal van yesterday morning & took everything that was left at the house & then we met them at the storage unit to put the vans contents (plus everything we had been storing) on our container.

By 3pm everything was loaded & on its way to the docks for sailing tomorrow.

We had a room booked at our local Travel lodge last night so that we could spend today finishing off at the house & leaving keys etc with our estate agent & now - as I said - we are at our daughters.

Don't know when we will next get near internet access but we will be back on line with you all asap.

Ladies, I'm hoping to get to next weeks coffee morning - settling in permitting - "talk" to you all soon.

Bigal & Ruth

Post: #6   PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 6:34 pm Reply with quote
bigal

Well, we are impressed. We went to Cyta yesterday & ordered our landline & internet connection & here we are all set up just 24 hours later.

It seems strange to be here & know its for ever. The family drove us to the airport on Wednesday but we didn't get too upset as we will see them in 5 weeks.

The weather was miserable yesterday & what with being really tired we did have mixed feelings all day.

Today has been much better. We are rested & beginning to sort things out. We have an appointment with immigration in April (they are very busy so appointments are taking a while), which will delay Allans registration at the hospital but if he is unwell I'm sure they will see him on the E111 card thingy.

With the internet on we can keep in touch with everybody via our new webcams & get any further information we need to help our settling in.

Our neighbours have welcomed us back (thanks for the card Jinty hope we meet soon, pop in any time) & volunteered to help when our container arrives.

So overall a good beginning. I'm sure we will have our ups & downs but then who doesn't?

Ruth & Bigal

Arrow

Post: #7   PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 6:41 pm Reply with quote
bigal

Doesn't time fly when you're having fun?

Our first two weeks here were a bit strained. Although we got some things sorted, we were both just waiting for the container to arrive so we could get unpacked & really settled in.

Our shipping company contact at the docks was really helpful & the worry about getting Allans motorbike off soon disapeared when they opened the doors of the container in a special bay so that we could just push the bike out. The container was then re-sealed & it followed us back to Paralimni where, with the help of neighbours eveything was unloaded.

A really busy week followed with me unpacking & finding new homes for our bits & pieces. Allan (using the wood yard in Dherinia) made some lovely bookshelves for my collection of books.

We have rented another (small) property in Protaras so that Allan can have a seperate workshop & space for his model railway & he has spent some time unpacking his things this week.

I have managed to get to the coffee mornings so I'm meeting new people & we have "entertained" old friends & new.

We bought our own car this week, deciding that in the long run it works out cheaper then keep renting.

Our BIGGEST news is that we have accepted an offer on our UK property. We are trying not to think about it too much (until the paperwork is sorted) after the disapointment of last time so I'll say no more on that for now.

My sister phoned today & one of her questions was whether we are homesick yet. My answer was "How can I be homesick when I am home."

And I think that sums it up nicely. We now feel really settled & intend to keep enjoying our new lives - after all we've waited a bloody long time & been through so much before we could get here that it would be stupid not to keep looking forward. Of course we miss our family but we speak regularly & our daughter will be here next Friday.

So there you have it - month 1 all done & dusted & many more to come.

Ruth & Bigal

Arrow

Post: #8   PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 6:28 pm Reply with quote
bigal

As I mentioned in my last entry , we accepted an offer on our UK property at the end of March. It was 10K lower than the original asking price but the Credit Crunch was hitting the UK & we did the sums & decided it was better to take the offer than lose a buyer.

There was no chain. The buyers were getting a Keyworker mortgage. Great, we thought, nice & quick with no problems.

WRONG
We suddenly found ourselves answering a three page questionaire from their solicitor about various aspect of the property, the neighbours & the surrounding area.

Some were so daft it was laughable.

It was all hurry, hurry, hurry they wanted things done asap & we were told they wanted to complete by 27th May or else.....................

Or else what? We asked. It was them holding it up with their stupid queries.

THEN they announced their money wouldn't be available till 12th June.

SO WHY WERE THEY PUSHING US!!!!!!!!!! GGGGGGGGRRRRRRRRRRRRR

**Sorry - I'm Ok, I've taken a deep breath but you can imagine how frustrating these people were being**

We finally exchanged contracts on 28th May and........................................**Drumroll please*......................

TODAY WE COMPLETED

I got home from a delightful morning with the ladies at the coffee morning & there it was - THE email from our solicitor (a very nice patient man) announcing that all was complete on our house sale & tomorrow a rather nice lump sum will be going into Bigals' bank account. (Have I ever mentioned what a NICE MAN Bigal is?????)

WHOOPPEE

We are very happy & relieved that its finally sorted. The down side is that you lot have to put up with us for a very long time as we can't go back now.

NO - only joking - we are Sooooooooooo happy here in our new home & the extra money is the icing on the cake.

Thanks to everyone on the forum for all the advise we recieved along the way. I think thats about it for our moving diary, now where did I put my glass, hic.............

Ruth & Bigal

Hide These Ads? Register for Free or Login

Post: #9   PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 7:42 pm Reply with quote
marionmitchell
Pictures: 0

hi Ruth
glad the email came happy shopping see the real Ruth next week
Love Marion Cool Rolling Eyes
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Post: #10   PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 7:47 pm Reply with quote
Kathyoke
Pictures: 3

Congratulations Very Happy Glad it all worked out in the end for you both. Enjoy a nice glass or 2 in your new home Very Happy

Kathy
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Post: #11   PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 8:48 am Reply with quote
Kay Smith

What wonderful news!!! Happy moving.

Live the Dream!!!!!!!!

Kay and David
Happy "ONE YEAR" To Us 
Post: #12   PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 11:07 am Reply with quote
chubbycheeks

Today BigAl & I celebrate our One Year In Cyprus Anniversary.

It seems to have flown by. We've had a few ups & downs but on the whole we have settled in without any major problems.

We've done all the usual stuff - registered at immigration, registered at the hospital, registered the motorbike we bought over, purchased 2 cars, swapped from paying UK tax to Cypriot etc etc etc.

We've met & made friends with loads of wonderful people. We have new hobbies & when UK friends & family ask what we find to do all day my reply is "I'm so busy I barely have time to sleep Laughing Wink ".

We don't regret a thing & look forward to many more happy years in the sun.

A Round of Applause To Us - Cheers.

Ruth & Allan Smile
Bigal & Ruth's Moving Diary 
  Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » Moving Diaries