Not A Member Yet? See All The Features Of The Forum By Clicking Here To Register For FREE! Or Members Login Below:

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Cyprus Eastern Forum Index
Offering Free Help, Advice, Tips & Support for those buying or living in:
Paralimni - Protaras - Pernera - Kapparis - Agia Napa - Larnaca - Oroklini - Pervolia - Kiti - Xylofagou
Vrysoulles - Frenaros - Dherynia - Sotira - Agia Thekla - Liopetri - Ormidia & surrounding areas...

Main Homepage Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Register Directory Memberlist Search

Ads By Forum Sponsors  

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » Restaurants / Bars & Clubs in the Larnaca Area » Baijing - new Chinese in Oroklini
Baijing - new Chinese in Oroklini 
Post: #1   PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 1:59 pm Reply with quote
PatCon
Pictures: 0

The new Chinese on Dhekelia Road Oroklini/Pyla is now open. If anyone has tried it I would be grateful for any feedback (sorry about the pun)

Hide These Ads? Register for Free or Login

Re: Baijing - new Chinese in Oroklini 
Post: #2   PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 3:48 pm Reply with quote
bill
Pictures: 3
Location: nice n sunny cold at night oroklini on the mossie breeding grounds

PatCon wrote:
The new Chinese on Dhekelia Road Oroklini/Pyla is now open. If anyone has tried it I would be grateful for any feedback (sorry about the pun)
i wonder which one will bite the dust the new one or lily wongs .
its not the first to open in opposition to lilyy's and they all eventually went down leaving lily wong still in business .

bill

Post: #3   PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 9:18 am Reply with quote
bill

popped in there thursday night asked about takeaway and they dont have takeaway menu
"perhaps next month" the guy said

bill -----thinking p hut not so bad after all

Post: #4   PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 5:07 am Reply with quote
PatCon

Thanks for that, Bill. Saved me a journey

Post: #5   PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 2:02 pm Reply with quote
sunnysuzie
Pictures: 6

I went on the opening night, it was awful. Alot of items on the menu not available, we had to get up to order our drinks as got fed up sitting at the table waiting. Waitress could not use the bottle opener we had to do it. After waiting over an hour for our main courses after all the starters being bought out at different times, the dumplings were swimming in oil, and prawn crackers served with strawberry jam!! We left without our main courses. Some people had been in there over 2 hours. I would give it time before trying it, as they were definately not ready to open.

Sue
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Post: #6   PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 2:14 pm Reply with quote
PatCon

Thanks for that feedback Suzie. Sounds like an early bankruptcy for Beijing! Not the first case in that premises, anyone remember The Rice Bowl?
I guess I'll stick to the Mulan on Tuesdays. All food at half price, service excellent.

Post: #7   PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 3:57 pm Reply with quote
Tangutica
Pictures: 26

A Chinese Restaurant that doesn't do takeaways? Never heard anything like it!
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Post: #8   PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 8:59 am Reply with quote
bill

Tangutica wrote:

but lily wongs across the road does and delivery too lol

bill

Hide These Ads? Register for Free or Login

Post: #9   PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 9:07 am Reply with quote
bill

bill wrote:
Tangutica wrote:

but lily wongs across the road does and delivery too lol

bill

to be fair Tang they have only just opened but i will go back in a couple of weeks and ask again -- if they give me a blank look again i won't go back

Bill

Post: #10   PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 9:13 am Reply with quote
bill

sunnysuzie wrote:
I went on the opening night, it was awful. Alot of items on the menu not available, we had to get up to order our drinks as got fed up sitting at the table waiting. Waitress could not use the bottle opener we had to do it. After waiting over an hour for our main courses after all the starters being bought out at different times, the dumplings were swimming in oil, and prawn crackers served with strawberry jam!! We left without our main courses. Some people had been in there over 2 hours. I would give it time before trying it, as they were definately not ready to open.

Sue

i went the night after it opened and i didnt see many happy faces -- in fact im sure those diners sitting waiting would string the owner up if he came out

in contrast the chippy in Orocklini seems to be doing good business even though they dont have takeaway -- for how long is anybodys guess lol

Post: #11   PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 9:26 am Reply with quote
dixie

The new Chippy in Oroklini does do takeaway, they just don't have the take away menu yet and it's the same with the new Chinese Restaurant. I went on the second night and ordered takeaway.

Post: #12   PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 5:18 pm Reply with quote
bill

dixie wrote:
The new Chippy in Oroklini does do takeaway, they just don't have the take away menu yet and it's the same with the new Chinese Restaurant. I went on the second night and ordered takeaway.

thanks Dixie I went to the Balti house this evening for a takeaway and i looked in the window to get their phone number and look their menu
and the place was deserted ----well nearly ----- ( 4 peeps on one table )

now if i can ask -- how was the food -- usually its at its best on first opening and often declines in quality and quantity after.
seeing the place almost empty tonight doesn't inspire me with confidence for its future
some feedback of the food quality would be nice

Bill

Post: #13   PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 8:14 pm Reply with quote
dixie

Well put it this way, I've had worse meals.

They didn't have much to choose from and the other half of my order I had to get from Lilly Wong. Was gobsmacked they didn't have Chow Mein or Duck.

I suppose I could have left when I realised they didn't have all of what I wanted but I thought I would give them a chance with what they had and it's good to support local business even if they weren't quite ready to open.

Thought the décor was lovely, I just hope they get it together soon otherwise they won't last very long.

Post: #14   PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 9:35 am Reply with quote
bill

dixie wrote:
Well put it this way, I've had worse meals.

They didn't have much to choose from and the other half of my order I had to get from Lilly Wong. Was gobsmacked they didn't have Chow Mein or Duck.

I suppose I could have left when I realised they didn't have all of what I wanted but I thought I would give them a chance with what they had and it's good to support local business even if they weren't quite ready to open.

Thought the décor was lovely, I just hope they get it together soon otherwise they won't last very long.

thanks Dixie
i noticed the menu was a bit limited wen i looked in the window and i hope the prices displayed outside are for sit down and takeaway is cheaper.
having a basic menu isnt a bad idea as long as the popular dishes are there and the quality excels .

i once went to a chinese restaurant whilst on a fire management course in Nottingham we were directed to a green door in a Nottingham back street - it was basically a living room with tables and chairs the madam -- whom we guessed was the owner welcomed us and found us a table -- no english was spoken /no menu -- u had wat was being cooked that night there was free entertainment of the owner hitting the chef at regular intervals and shouting abuse in cantonese we were the only westerners in there and were continually stared at by the other customers .
by the end of two weeks we were welcomed as old friends .
there was a different --"only dish of the day" every night and although there was no menu i found i enjoyed the food and obviously returned night after night .
the moral of this story is its not necessary to have big menu or fancy premises if the food (and entertainment) is good
i guess if the lady ever expands and moves to a bigger place and has a menu it will lose its charm

Bill-- who knows that chinese food is nothing like what we buy from a high street takeaway Shocked

Post: #15   PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 5:11 pm Reply with quote
bill

well
I managed to get a takeaway
ordered beef in black bean sauce

here's my thoughts :-

QUALITY/QUANTITY
-- good -- ample portions of the beef n black bean but a bit tight on the rice ---there was nearly enough of the main food to make two prtions with a lot of beef but hardly enough rice for one person and i 'm not a big eater .

TASTE
well as Dixie put it "i've had better" but i was hungry so it was ok .

PRICE
WOW
12 EVRO for a portion of beef in bean sauce and a portion of plain boiled rice .
it was actually €11-80which is way over the top for a take away .
to be honest i dont mind paying decent money for a decent meal but as this was so so i thought it was to much .

RETURN VISIT ???????

ERR don't think so
i have a feeling they won't last long
i was actually thinking of taking a friend ( yes hard to believe - i do have friends lol ) for a sit down but that idea wont happen i'll go for a curry at the balti and enjoy my food

Bill

Join Us Today! Register for Free or Login

beijing dhekelia road 
Post: #16   PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 5:26 pm Reply with quote
movinon

We had heard some bad reports but always like to give places the benefit of the doubt. So tried it anyway and have to say it was awful. The dipping sauce with prawn crackers was plum jam. The chicken and sweet corn soup was insipid and tasteless. The main courses were small and the chicken was so hard you could not chew it. There was only 6 of us at one table and no others in there so we couldnt say its because they were rushed off their feet. Will def not be going again.
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Post: #17   PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 10:56 pm Reply with quote
sunnysuzie
Pictures: 6

When I went the dipping sauce for the prawn crackers was strawberry jam!! We saw the chefs in Lidls buying everythng, I kid you not!!

Sue
Baijing - new Chinese in Oroklini 
  Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » Restaurants / Bars & Clubs in the Larnaca Area