Not A Member Yet? See All The Features Of The Forum By Clicking Here To Register For FREE! Or Members Login Below:

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Cyprus Eastern Forum Index
Offering Free Help, Advice, Tips & Support for those buying or living in:
Paralimni - Protaras - Pernera - Kapparis - Agia Napa - Larnaca - Oroklini - Pervolia - Kiti - Xylofagou
Vrysoulles - Frenaros - Dherynia - Sotira - Agia Thekla - Liopetri - Ormidia & surrounding areas...

Main Homepage Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Register Directory Memberlist Search

Ads By Forum Sponsors  

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » Restaurants / Bars & Clubs in the Larnaca Area » Oroklini Fish & Chips Shop Goto page 1, 2  Next
Oroklini Fish & Chips Shop 
Post: #1   PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 8:54 am Reply with quote
davegodfrey
Pictures: 0

As it,s now finally open, I had haddock and chips last night. Very nice it was and they were REAL CHIPS, but I felt it was a bit pricey for a takeaway. I'll definitely give it another try though. Very Happy

Hide These Ads? Register for Free or Login

Post: #2   PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 11:25 am Reply with quote
Tangutica
Pictures: 26

I decided to try a few closer to me than Lambros. I started with Mr Chippy on the Dhekelia Rd. First visit they were closed due to water cut. Tried again a fortnight ago. The cod and chips were ok but the portion of cod was the size (and shape!) of a medium banana. No comparison with Lambros portions.

I will try the Oriklini one next.
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Post: #3   PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 12:40 pm Reply with quote
Bobbeer
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Pictures: 8

Isn't this a new branch of Lambros?

Post: #4   PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 1:42 pm Reply with quote
Tangutica

Bobbeer wrote:

What? The Oriklini one? Whereabouts in Oriklini is it?

Post: #5   PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 5:33 am Reply with quote
PatCon

Tangutica wrote:
Bobbeer wrote:

What? The Oriklini one? Whereabouts in Oriklini is it?

It's on the corner of the main road beside the new council offices. Bright and cheerful. Huge selection of side dishes. Divided into restaurant and take-away. Beer on draught.

Post: #6   PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 12:47 pm Reply with quote
bill
Pictures: 3
Location: nice n sunny cold at night oroklini on the mossie breeding grounds

Tangutica wrote:
I decided to try a few closer to me than Lambros. I started with Mr Chippy on the Dhekelia Rd. First visit they were closed due to water cut. Tried again a fortnight ago. The cod and chips were ok but the portion of cod was the size (and shape!) of a medium banana. No comparison with Lambros portions.

have u tried Gregorys ???

Post: #7   PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 12:53 pm Reply with quote
bill

davegodfrey wrote:
As it,s now finally open, I had haddock and chips last night. Very nice it was and they were REAL CHIPS, but I felt it was a bit pricey for a takeaway. I'll definitely give it another try though. Very Happy

u say its a bit pricey
wat prices are we talking about
i pay 6-80 fo a huge cod n chips at gregorys

Post: #8   PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 2:36 pm Reply with quote
Tangutica

bill wrote:
Tangutica wrote:

I'm still not sure exactly where this is Bill? Does it say fish n chips outside or is it just a general fast food takeaway or sit down cafe?

Hide These Ads? Register for Free or Login

Post: #9   PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 3:43 pm Reply with quote
bill

Tangutica wrote:
bill wrote:
Tangutica wrote:

I'm still not sure exactly where this is Bill? Does it say fish n chips outside or is it just a general fast food takeaway or sit down cafe?

ok
u are in pyla
come along the dekhalia road -- pass the fire station -- gregorys on the right about half miles from fire station
its off the main road -- u will prob pass it but dont worry u can turn right just after u pass it and come bak
its takeaway and sitdown
they used to run a chippy in the uk so they know their stuff .
very friendly peeps .
tell them bill said to come and watch them smile lol
as i've said before i've tried lambros 4 times .
one time i went cuz it was so well recommended and sadly was very disappointed --- second time was friends taking us out cuz i was looking after their house whilst they in uk -- this time the food was better but not so much better to make me rush back .
third time a old lady i know wen i asked her if there was anywhere she wanted to go she asked if i cud take her to lambros -- this i did-- again the food wasn't up to the mark in fact incredibly greasy and i had indigestion all night -- i paid dearly for a night of discomfort.
wen i told people that ive not actually had a meal there that i enjoyed they asked if i had a problem with the guy running it .
i said no but i have a prob with his food.
i have never had a bad un from gregorys
been to a couple of fish n chip shops in larnaca and was disgusted with the food -- one guy proudly announced that he made the best fried fish and chips in larnaca I said if i return again smiling for another take away the food is good I never returned cuz it was c**p .
The forth time i go labros was we were invited by friends -- at first I refused but was talked into it -- i thought ok im not paying so why not .
the fish was greasy and tasted off the chips were passable .
im beginning to think its me thats at fault or the others had been sucked in by the hype that lambros is wonderful wen it really isnt so good .
i understand that occasionally a restaurants food will not be up to the usual standard -- if this is the case with lambros I must have been very unlucky and extremely lucky with Gregory's .
i must say im not totally dissatisfied with lambro cuz the salad was good and the pitta was ok too

bill --

Post: #10   PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 12:30 pm Reply with quote
davegodfrey

Bill
I paid 10.60 for Haddock and chips and a jumbo sausage (impulse buy!).
Certainly I have had fish & chips at Gregory's, I agree very good portions, but their chips are not "REAL CHIPS" they are the frozen ones, well they were last we ate there. Very Happy

Post: #11   PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 12:37 pm Reply with quote
Tangutica

Thanks bill. But if they do use frozen chips I will be giving them a miss. I think frozen chips are an abomination especially here in Cyprus where the spuds make the best chips in the world!

I wouldn't use Liverpool fish n chips shop in Faneromini on account of them using frozen chips (and they imported them from Belgium!) And we've got all those potato farmers here? The boss told me customers preferred them. I find that hard to believe.
Orokolini fish& chip shop 
Post: #12   PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 6:05 pm Reply with quote
lliz

We've been twice now to "Sea Bar" fish& chips & really enjoyed the meal each time,the surroundings are very clean and attractive,they also do takeaway. 120 Faneromeni Ave Larnaca tel 99800600
Lliz
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail AIM Address Cyprus News,Weather & Travel
Re: Orokolini fish& chip shop 
Post: #13   PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 11:45 am Reply with quote
bill

lliz wrote:
We've been twice now to "Sea Bar" fish& chips & really enjoyed the meal each time,the surroundings are very clean and attractive,they also do takeaway. 120 Faneromeni Ave Larnaca tel 99800600
Lliz

ive been there for a takeaway snack of chips rice and curry sauce which was nice but not tried their fish n chips lol

Post: #14   PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 9:11 am Reply with quote
bill

davegodfrey wrote:
Bill
I paid 10.60 for Haddock and chips and a jumbo sausage (impulse buy!).
Certainly I have had fish & chips at Gregory's, I agree very good portions, but their chips are not "REAL CHIPS" they are the frozen ones, well they were last we ate there. Very Happy

i asked about a takeaway menu and got a blank look

i usually like takeaway as im usually alone

so i left empty handed although like any new place there were plenty of customers so for the moment it looks as if they have enough trade with sit down

bill

billy no mates lol

Post: #15   PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 4:39 pm Reply with quote
bill

well Ive tried the new chinese so tonight i fancied fish n chips and thought id give the new chippy a try-
sorry but im not impressed
the fish actually looked as if it was prev frozen and the chips were awful

im sure Gregorys has nothing to worry about here .

i hope peeps dont think Im super critical about food -- im not -- but i feel that i need to pass on my findings as a guide to others

of course some might be happy but i was not Sad

just to update on the oroklini chippy i tried it a couple of nights ago and i must say i was impressed
the reason i went there was that sadly the owner of Gregorys has been terminally ill and recently died
i dont kno if Gregorys has been sold or as some peeps told me rented out but the quality of the fish was terrible the chips im sure were fresh cut and were so good but sadly let down by the fish -
hence trying the oroklini chippy and im happy to say i'll be going back there again -- enjoyed my meal --
gregorys with the new peeps running it is definitely off my dining list now ---
but ive still yet to enjoy a meal at Lambros -- to be honest after three visits and not enjoy at all
im reluctant to go again
so although i posted negative comments about oroklini chippy it gets a thumbs up from me

bill

Last edited by bill on Sat Jul 23, 2016 8:17 am; edited 1 time in total

Join Us Today! Register for Free or Login

Post: #16   PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 10:34 am Reply with quote
bill

Tangutica wrote:
Thanks bill. But if they do use frozen chips I will be giving them a miss. I think frozen chips are an abomination especially here in Cyprus where the spuds make the best chips in the world!

I wouldn't use Liverpool fish n chips shop in Faneromini on account of them using frozen chips (and they imported them from Belgium!) And we've got all those potato farmers here? The boss told me customers preferred them. I find that hard to believe.

i will ask wen they open in January.
i must admit i didnt know they were frozen chips

ive always been satisfied with their chips lol

Post: #17   PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 2:57 pm Reply with quote
davegodfrey

bill wrote:
well Ive tried the new chinese so tonight i fancied fish n chips and thought id give the new chippy a try-
sorry but im not impressed
the fish actually looked as if it was prev frozen and the chips were awful

im sure Gregorys has nothing to worry about here .

i hope peeps dont think Im super critical about food -- im not -- but i feel that i need to pass on my findings as a guide to others

of course some might be happy but i was not Sad

bill

You are talking about the Fish Chick Island Restaurant at the start of Oroklini village and not the Chippy on the Dhekelia road aren't you ? Because your comments surprise me as I've heard and experienced so many good reports of Fish Chick Island.

Post: #18   PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 3:55 pm Reply with quote
sandyoap

no question that gregory's on the dhekelia road is now best quality and value for money in our own experience. lambros which was always reliably excellent and number one on most people's list is totally inconsistent now and the others all seem to be pretty mediocre. retired friends who ran a very very successful fish and chip shop for over 20 years will only ever use gregory's in the larnaca area now (they're not related to anyone there, or friends of the owners so we really beleve their assesment is impartial) and we've got no friend, family or business contact with any of the other chippies being discussed on here.
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Post: #19   PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 4:27 pm Reply with quote
bill

sandyoap wrote:
no question that gregory's on the dhekelia road is now best quality and value for money in our own experience. lambros which was always reliably excellent and number one on most people's list is totally inconsistent now and the others all seem to be pretty mediocre. retired friends who ran a very very successful fish and chip shop for over 20 years will only ever use gregory's in the larnaca area now (they're not related to anyone there, or friends of the owners so we really beleve their assesment is impartial) and we've got no friend, family or business contact with any of the other chippies being discussed on here.

thank you sandy-- i was really beginning to think it was me lol

bill

Post: #20   PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 2:44 pm Reply with quote
davegodfrey

bill wrote:
sandyoap wrote:

thank you sandy-- i was really beginning to think it was me lol

bill

Well Bill
looks like I need to go back to Gregory's and give it another try.
Perhaps I am to EASILY PLEASED !! Very Happy Very Happy

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » Restaurants / Bars & Clubs in the Larnaca Area