Not A Member Yet? See All The Features Of The Forum By Clicking Here To Register For FREE! Or Members Login Below:

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Cyprus Eastern Forum Index
Offering Free Help, Advice, Tips & Support for those buying or living in:
Paralimni - Protaras - Pernera - Kapparis - Agia Napa - Larnaca - Oroklini - Pervolia - Kiti - Xylofagou
Vrysoulles - Frenaros - Dherynia - Sotira - Agia Thekla - Liopetri - Ormidia & surrounding areas...

Main Homepage Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Register Directory Memberlist Search

Ads By Forum Sponsors  

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » Schools » GREEK STATE SCHOOLS?? Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post: #41   PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 9:04 am Reply with quote
Keith Sheffield
Pictures: 2

Jan,

Despite what I and others have said here, it does not mean that your son will definitely encounter difficulties... but forewarned is forearmed, as they say.

However, I do feel that all parents considering a move to Cyprus need to think past the commonly expressed ex-pat view that goes something like 'Schools in Cyprus are better than those in the UK' and 'They'll pick up the language in no time'. Both these views are at least debateable and, in some cases, completely wrong.

I think this view is more than a little complacent and does not anticipate some of the genuine difficulties that can arise.

I know a little about the Med High secondary school. It is very small, with very limited facilities and certainly does not boast the sort of GCSE successes that its American Academy and Pascal competitors do.

There is a view that Med High takes those children who did not reach the entrance requirements of its competitors. Some parents prefer the cosier atmosphere of a smaller school community, where there is perhaps less emphasis on hot-housing bright kids through external exams.

I appreciate it is difficult to know what is best for your son, given that you only have the schools' publicity brochures/websites to go on and a mixed bag of hearsay evidence from parents. As I said before, there are no objective government inspection reports to refer to in Cyprus, which makes informed choices difficult.

Best of luck in your search for an appropriate school for your son's needs.
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Hide These Ads? Register for Free or Login

Post: #42   PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 1:33 pm Reply with quote
Hogarth55

Our Jack, aged 9, gets zero homework! he is in year three. Because we understand that the rest of the class, also aged nine, have to catch up with him, and he was getting bored, we have asked if he can take in his own work/books, the school are very co-operative in this. We are also printing educational work for him off the net. Jack and his classmates will all get to the same stage eventually, this is the hard part for most parents with bored kids-including us. After ten weeks, with the help of lot's of extra Greek, Jack can now string sentences to-gether, and can understand what is being said to him in Greek-as long as it's not spoken too quickly! We live in Ayia Triada, sending him to Larnaca? what about the out of school hours? we feel it's equally important to have time to be a kid, and enjoy living in Cyprus. However, if he chooses, he can go to Xenion for his senior education, we will see how it goes.

Post: #43   PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 3:41 pm Reply with quote
sarak
Pictures: 0

Hi,
I live in Larnaca with my husband and daughter, 2. Im English and hes Cypriot. can anyone tell me whether theres any state schooling for under threes. A friend of mine said theres a school near her house, in Larnaca, that is a state school but provides pre-schoolers too as long as theyre in the catchment area. im considering private nursery but would much rather enrol her into a school now and she can continue there until she has to climb the schooling ladder. I will be moving to Pervolia in approx 6months. Any info on nurseries/kindergartens in that area would be much appreciated too.

many thanks

Sara k
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Post: #44   PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 5:44 pm Reply with quote
Chris_S

Quote:
Angela, all students in Cyprus are required to attend school until the age of 18.

This is only true for Greek children or a child who has at least one parent who is Greek. For English children school is not compulsory and the parent can take control of their child's education (home education is a legal option for the child)

Chris.

Post: #45   PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 8:36 am Reply with quote
Hogarth55

At last! Jack is getting homework, understanding what his teacher is saying,most of the time,BUT, I had to go complaining to the Principal that he was bored, and that his teacher was being lazy not helping him out, i also told his Teacher more or less to get her finger out!-nicely of course, but it's worked, and Jack is a whole lot happier now he is actually learning something.

Post: #46   PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 9:44 am Reply with quote
Barbersstudio
Membership Closed
Pictures: 23

Hi there Pam, Thats good news. It's not nice for the kids to be bored, esspecially when they are wanting to learn. Really pleased he's picking the language up.

My daughter seems to be doing really well at picking up the greek too.

Colin
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Post: #47   PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 12:09 pm Reply with quote
Hogarth55

Thanks Colin, Which school does your little girl go to?

Post: #48   PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 12:20 pm Reply with quote
Barbersstudio
Membership Closed

Hi there Pam, Siouxnice is 13 in April, she started at Xenion last September, she setted in very well and the teachers a really pleased with her progress.

I will be out by the end of Feb for good, thank goodness and will be a family again.

Then like you start to get on with a new life.

Colin

Hide These Ads? Register for Free or Login

Post: #49   PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 1:47 pm Reply with quote
Hogarth55

That's a lovely name! Sounds good Colin, I have a feeling Jack will be going to Xenion, mind you, he is stating now that he wants to stay with theCypriots for senior school. One of Jack's friends is being moved to St Nic on Monday, his folks think it will be better as he is dyslexic, he is a lovely little boy, so i hope he settles in ok, but it's his third move in five months. Bet you can't wait for the end of this month! all the best.

Post: #50   PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 2:49 pm Reply with quote
Barbersstudio
Membership Closed

Thank you Pam,

I'm sure between now and when it time for senior school Jack and yourselves will have made a decision.

I still have so much to do, but yes I can't wait.

Thanks

Colin.

Post: #51   PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 2:56 pm Reply with quote
Hogarth55

Paralimni 4 seems to send kids home for the slightest thing, Our Jack was sent home again to-day, because he fell! there was nothing wrong with him, but they had him phone me to collect him. The last time, he had been sick-once, as he had been coughing, I don't know how they go on with working parents, that's the fourth time Jack has been sent home, the first time, he had skinned his knee playing footie! and when I collected him to-day, there he was on his own outside the school? I guess they think that nothing could possibly happen to them Rolling Eyes

Post: #52   PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 8:10 pm Reply with quote
EmmaMcCollom

We are moving over to Cyprus within the next 12 months and was wondering where we start trying to find a good State school? We are planning to move to Larnaca or the surrounding area.
We have 4 boys ages between 8months and 6years old.
We currently have a Greek tutor and will continue this until we move and also get one over there.
Could someone point me into the right direction of who I need to contact? Education Board......??

Thanks
Em

Post: #53   PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 9:03 am Reply with quote
G A Decorators

Our 2 eldest boys (4 & Cool go to the local school in Ayia Napa. They have settled in brilliantly and are really doing well with the language barriers (the teachers are partly to thank for this as they really will try to help them as much as possible and if they are having a problem with something are always there to explain)
My eldest's teachers will also write out the letters in english for me so i know what is going on with school trips etc.
I am going to start sending them both to private lessons once a week for english, maths and greek after this term ends (but this is just so that they dont fall behind and will only cost me 17 euros per month for each of them which is fantastic)
The school also offers free after school greek lessons to all its pupils and even hold adult greek lessons a couple of times a week as well.
I agree that if your kids were older than mine and you had just moved over then i would not advise a greek school as the language seems to be harder to pick up as they get older and you have the added worries of important exams which just isnt fair on your child having to have the added pressure of doing them in a foreign language, so i would defo advise the private english schools for older children.
Although my eldest is in a greek school now i would consider sending him to a private english secondary school if he is not fluent in greek by the time he reaches this as i do not want him to struggle with his exams. They are far too important to mess up.
My 2 youngest boys (my 4 year old & 1 year old) i have no problems with as they basically know no different and will probably stay in cypriot education right the way through.
We have been here for a year now and loving life here and could never return to the UK.
We have been very lucky as we have our own business here and its starting to do well now (but it has been extremley hard work with very long hours) and we also have the added support of my parents living here.
It is not easy living here with a young family but if you can find work to fit round the kids school hours (7:30 till 1) that pays an ok wage then i am sure you will love it here.

Smile

Post: #54   PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 9:05 am Reply with quote
G A Decorators

Sorry my eldest is 8 but it keeps putting a smiley face there???

Post: #55   PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 7:55 pm Reply with quote
shrek2210

hi

my family and i are planning moving to the ayia napa/paralimni area by the end of this year and we are looking for a school to send our 6 year old daughter to. i have noticed a few names of schools being mentioned but if anyone has website addresses of any of these schools i would appretiate it.

many thanks

Join Us Today! Register for Free or Login

emoticons (off topic) 
Post: #56   PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 8:33 pm Reply with quote
Kwacka
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Pictures: 3

garyjath wrote:
Sorry my eldest is 8 but it keeps putting a smiley face there???

In the 'old days' of usenet & bulletin boards emoticons were developed; a colon followed by a parenthesis looks like someone smiling/frowning, Smile or Sad

Replace the colon with a figure 8 and it becomes someone wearing glasses & smiling, Cool

Then with the world-wide web these automatically became pretty pictures.

If you put a space between the 8 and the bracket it displays it accurately i.e. (my son is 8 ).

(Even worse is incredimail & speaking emoticons).

A fuller list
Links only visible to Registered Members
Register for Free or Login to the forum.

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » Schools