Not A Member Yet? See All The Features Of The Forum By Clicking Here To Register For FREE! Or Members Login Below:

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Cyprus Eastern Forum Index
Offering Free Help, Advice, Tips & Support for those buying or living in:
Paralimni - Protaras - Pernera - Kapparis - Agia Napa - Larnaca - Oroklini - Pervolia - Kiti - Xylofagou
Vrysoulles - Frenaros - Dherynia - Sotira - Agia Thekla - Liopetri - Ormidia & surrounding areas...

Main Homepage Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Register Directory Memberlist Search

Ads By Forum Sponsors  

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » Schools » GREEK STATE SCHOOLS?? Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Learning greek 
Post: #21   PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 7:25 pm Reply with quote
Dave & Ness
Pictures: 0

Pam, i am glad tour lad is doing so well with the Greek, as i said, it is just my general opinion based on what teachers and people we know have said when we have been questioning what is best for our 2 when we come over. Madison, 5 is our eldest and our only real concern as our little lad Finley will only be 2 so wont know any different regards languages. We are trying to learn some Greek via Cd's and DVD's to try to make it abit more easy for Mads to understand what is being said. She can speak quite abit of HOLIDAY GREEK as we call it,asking for drinks etc... and can count 1-10 with no problems. We find her correcting us on some phrases so we are hoping that she takes to it and can blend in with the other kids in the local school. Did your kids experiance any other problems with schooling?

Dave
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail AIM Address Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Hide These Ads? Register for Free or Login

Post: #22   PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 10:13 pm Reply with quote
harvester

Good luck- all I would say is you cannot be certain if you will stay here for good as sure as you are now, which will obviously affect your children as they will be behind if you return to UK.
I know this is negative if you are certain you will stay in Cyprus- but just look at Brits returning, even on here, selling their furniture, etc..
Even the private English Schools are not as good as people make out as kids are 1-2 years older than they would be for the grade in UK.
Once kids have finished school what chance would they have in Cyprus of getting a decent career?

Negative, but all stuff that may become an issue once in Cyprus, down the line
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Post: #23   PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 10:41 pm Reply with quote
Hogarth55
Pictures: 2

hi Dave, Our grandson is having no problems at all. Harvester, Perhaps Cyprus is not for you, it's not for everyone.

Post: #24   PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 8:41 pm Reply with quote
Dave & Ness

I understand people views on careers regarding their children etc... but we have been fortunate that me and my wife have had good careers and have realised that the safety and hapiness of our kids is more important. My wife had the CITY job and salary but never got to see the kids so what use was the money?
I have my own heating/plumbing company with engineers working for me, good money but working 7 days a week so what good is the money?
We have come to realise that our children really dont care what car we drive or how big your house is or size of TV etc....
All they want is quality time with their parents so we are giving up the rat run to spend more time with them.
As for careers, i will be far happier if my kids are working in a cafe by a beach rather than going into the city center 7 days a week not knowing where the next terrorist threat is going to come from. They will decide if Cyprus is right for them when they are old enough, until then we believe we are giving them a happier and safer life than they can look forward to in the UK.
Dave
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail AIM Address Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Post: #25   PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 9:25 pm Reply with quote
Balconia

Sorry Dave and Ness but I feel I have to respond to some parts of your post :

You wrote

Quote:
me and my wife have had good careers and have realised that the safety and hapiness of our kids is more important

Ditto -but don't forget you can still enjoy this in the U.K

You wrote :

Quote:
We have come to realise that our children really dont care what car we drive or how big your house is or size of TV etc....
All they want is quality time with their parents so we are giving up the rat run to spend more time with them.

Ditto - But as in response 1 - you can still enjoy this in the U.K

You wrote :

Quote:
will be far happier if my kids are working in a cafe by a beach rather than going into the city center 7 days a week not knowing where the next terrorist threat is going to come from.

A trifle over the top imho- True there have been terrorist threats in the U.K but similarly there have been terrorist threats in other countries aswell

You wrote :

Quote:
we believe we are giving them a happier and safer life than they can look forward to in the UK

Exactly - That is your belief but that does not necessarily mean that your belief is correct. I was not happy with the the area I lived in so I moved -within the U.K.

Rather than the grim picture you paint of the U.K there are still some lovely parts too you know and it irks me somewhat when people liken the U.k to some kind of war Zone.

It's all about making sacrifices - I have managed to do that in the U.K. I sincerely wish you well in Cyprus but please do not be under the misapprehension that you could not have achieved your aims in the U.K - because many families still do .

Each to there own 
Post: #26   PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 9:38 pm Reply with quote
Dave & Ness

The important thing is that we know what we are doing is right, Cyprus is like a home to us but we have also said that if it doesn't work , we will try somewhere else, sorry but for us the UK isn't an option.
We have noticed over the last 5 years how many penalties you get from being self employed or trying to get on in life. We also have alot of friends who are teachers, heads of year and even a headmaster, not one of them has said that we are doing the wrong thing, they all tend to agree that the kids will have a brighter future out of the UK. Likewise our friends and former neighbours who have got out to Canada. They were both in the Police force, Nigel was at Chequers gaurding our Mr Blair, the reason for going- to get out of the country before it gets to bad for bringing kids up in it. Whilst i appreciate everyone views you can only act on what you believe, we could trapse all over the UK but we live in Oxford which isn't a terrible place to live but it gets worse every year for violence, drugs and crime which we feel will be the national trend. Cyprus isn't perfect but we feel its afew years behind at the moment.

Post: #27   PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 9:51 pm Reply with quote
Balconia

Dave and Ness - not wishing to be pedantic you wrote :

Quote:
The important thing is that we know what we are doing is right

I would just add that what you are doing is right for you - I am just trying to give a bit of balance here and explain that what you hope to achieve can ( and is ) being achieved in the U.K.

You wrote :

Quote:
We also have alot of friends who are teachers, heads of year and even a headmaster, not one of them has said that we are doing the wrong thing, they all tend to agree that the kids will have a brighter future out of the UK

I have three children and thank goodnes they do not attend schools where senior members of staff hold opinions similar to your friends. Wink

Good luck with all you hope to achieve and I hope everything works out for you.

Post: #28   PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 8:10 am Reply with quote
Hogarth55

Horses for Courses I guess, over the last ten weeks, I have watched our grandson live a life that would be out of the question in the UK. He has swam in the sea, swam in our pool, gone 'knee boarding' at Konnos Bay, been out in the boat, gone fishing in the sea, played footie without the rain and cold, has never been bored, or had the need to watch telly, only picking up his PSP now and then. he has gained weight, is eating healthier, and looking great. We gave up a very lucritive business to come here, was it worth it? There is no question, it was.

Hide These Ads? Register for Free or Login

Post: #29   PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 5:41 pm Reply with quote
andreavick

Having had my 2 boys in greek state school for 15 months now i feel that i can add to this debate. My children are very bright and as i can speak french, german and spanish i thought that i would find it a breeze to learn greek and help the boys with their homework, unfortunately i am older now and the brain cells are disappearing fast! When they started they were 6 and 8, the school advised me to put my youngest son into kindergarten but there was no way he would go without his brother so they agreed to put him in the first class and my 8 year old was put in the second class. The first few week were a nightmare and every day i tortured myself mentally because my children were not happy. We persisted and they received free greek lessons however to do homework involved me translating everything first into english which was very time consuming. My boys joined the local football club and it appeared that they were doing ok. At the end of the summer term they received their certficate to say that they could move up to the next class. I was very proud of them as it had not been easy however when they went back after the summer and they had moved to the second and third class this is when the major problems started. My youngest son, who had been taught from the basics, was having no problems whatsoever and was capable of writing setences etc however my elder son was ringing home at least once a week crying saying he had headache, stomach ache etc. I knew there was nothing wrong with him so i went to speak to the teachers and was told that my son did not want to learn and every day he just sat staring around the classroom. I was mortified and should have realised that something was wrong. It is now clear that beacuse my son entered into the second class therefore missing the basics he was not as advanced as his younger brother and there was no way that he could do geography, history, religion etc because he could not speak the language. I questioned why he had not been given greek to learn even if it was only 10 words per week but nobody could give me any answers. It turns out that the teacher he had was not interested in helping my son to learn and as a result it looks certain that he will not be moving up at the start of the next academic year. I have insisted that my son is to do only greek, pe and maths and he is now a lot happier even though he must be dreaming in Greek!!

If I had known at the start i would have insisted that, despite his age, he should have started in the first class.

I can agree with both points of view on this forum and i have had many sleepless nights and still do about whether i have done the right thing. Yes putting my sons into an english school would be the easier option but then if i could speak fluent greek the homework issue would not be a major problem and i wonder if my uncertainties are because of the fact that i don't know the language and it makes me feel helpless.

I am now able to translate sentences so it is getting easier however i would advise anyone contemplating putting their children into state schools to seriously think about it first. Age is a major factor and i would say that the ideal age group is 6-8 however saying this my yougest son who only spent 12 months in a UK school cannot remember how to write some of the english alphabet, his spelling is quite bad now and if i ask him to write a word in english he uses some english letters and some greek which is worrying considering english is his first language.

Education to me is very important and i would be lying if i said it is all plain sailing but i have asked my children and they do not want to go back to the uk, not even for holidays. My children have had so many experiences here and if it does not work then we will just move somewhere else and it will not be the uk.

My children go to ormidhia school so if anyone wants any info feel free to get in touch.

Andrea
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Post: #30   PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 11:17 pm Reply with quote
Aase

Very interesting thread. We will be moving next summer and our kids will be 5 and 7, our 5 year old will be starting Reception and our 7 year old will be going into Year 3. We have decided that we want to put them into an English speaking school, despite their young age. There are many reasons for this, many of them have been mentioned in previous posts.

Even though we are moving to Cyprus with a view to stay there for a long time, things may change or not turn out as we expected and we'll have to return to the UK or move elsewhere. Having followed the English curriculum then this would not be so difficult. One of the main reasons, however, is that neither me nor my partner speaks Greek. At the moment we often have to help our 6 year old with his homeworks and I would hate not being able to do so! Like Andrea I speak a couple of foreign languages and am currently learning Greek in an evening college. It is really hard and as English is so widely spoken in Cyprus I may not get to practice as much as I did when I learnt Spanish, living in a tiny Central American village where nobody spoke English! Also, learning a new language is much more difficult now, my brain is so much slower! When I was at school my parents were very supportive and helped my a lot with my homework. I would be very unhappy if I couldn't do that for my own children - within a very short time their Greek would be much better than mine and they would be helping me!

We all have to make our own choices and we all try and do what we think is best for our kids. We feel an English speaking school is best and then we'll really have to look at other activities to ensure our kids integrate with local kids and learn Greek.

Aase

Post: #31   PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 6:21 am Reply with quote
Elizavet
Pictures: 6

Greek is harder having to learn a new alphabet (you get and extra certificate for that) here in the UK but once you have learnt to read and write the alphabet its good to be able to read your language books for a short while every day and listen to a bit pf a cd daily to keep you remebering how to prnouce the words you are reading Laughing

I feel I can read the words quite well but speaking it is another matter, but i am hoping that will come when we move over , I am sure you will all do what you think is best for your children and to learn yourself is a great advantage and will help open many doors for you in Cyprus especially if you are moving to a village.

Good luck to you all Smile

Post: #32   PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 10:09 am Reply with quote
angeladawes

we are hoping to move to cyprus next year, my eldest child is 15. does he have to go to school? he will be nearly 16.
my husband will have his own business and my son would like to go straight in to work with his dad. he is not the most academic pupil, and struggles here in england , never mind trying to fit into a new school in cyprus!!!!!!!!

angela

Post: #33   PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 11:23 am Reply with quote
Keith Sheffield

Angela, all students in Cyprus are required to attend school until the age of 18.

Post: #34   PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 1:03 pm Reply with quote
angeladawes

thanks for your reply keith. what if they have already done their gcse's? why do they have to attend until 18?
angela

Post: #35   PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 4:56 pm Reply with quote
harvester

Great points aase - especially the fact that your kids will come home with homework and you will not know what it is all about!! One point we thought of and also the fact that you will never know for sure that you will be here for good.

Join Us Today! Register for Free or Login

Post: #36   PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 5:47 pm Reply with quote
bill
Pictures: 3
Location: nice n sunny cold at night oroklini on the mossie breeding grounds

angeladawes wrote:
thanks for your reply keith. what if they have already done their gcse's? why do they have to attend until 18?
angela

Probably because that's the law in Cyprus Rolling Eyes

Bill

Post: #37   PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 6:04 pm Reply with quote
angeladawes

not sure that staying on at school till 18 is going to go down very well with my son!!!!!!!!
but rules are rules i suppose.
angela

Post: #38   PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 6:08 pm Reply with quote
bill
Pictures: 3
Location: nice n sunny cold at night oroklini on the mossie breeding grounds

harvester wrote:
Great points aase - especially the fact that your kids will come home with homework and you will not know what it is all about!! One point we thought of and also the fact that you will never know for sure that you will be here for good.

Both Aase and your self have both made very valid points .

I may be wrong here as I'm only going of what Cypriot parents have told me but from what I can make out of the teaching in Cypriot state schools is that a lot of the learning process is done after school hours .

The teachers will discuss what is to be learnt and write it up on the black board ~~ students then copy this and sort it out when they get home .

Totally unlike the UK way of learning in the classroom and adding to the knowledge with homework !

Therefore if you can't speak ~ write and read Greek you will not be able to help your children and be putting them at a severe disadvantage .

Perhaps Keith could clarify if this is correct.

I still stand by my original post in this thread and advise caution for those bringing older children to Cyprus and plonking them into a state school hoping that it will be ok.

Bill
King Richard School 
Post: #39   PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 11:29 am Reply with quote
jan123

Hi again,
Well after reading all these messages and the reply to my own, I am now seriously worried, our house is up for sale in UK, and we have just accepted an offer, the house in Paralimni will be ready before the end of this year. So changing our minds now is not an option.
I looked up the forces school last night, my husband is ex forces, but the fees are so high.I have also looked into the entrance test for the american academy, and I am pretty sure that he would not pass it.
When we first looked into this talking to others who lived there everyone told us that he would settle well into the cyprus school system. Any more advice would be welcome, has anyone any info on med juniors entrance teat, or even teaching at home?
HELP!!!
jan

Post: #40   PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 8:36 am Reply with quote
Keith Sheffield

Bill,

It is certainly true that there is a heavy reliance on homework in Greek primary schools which you would not find in the UK.

I can't really comment on teaching methods in primary classrooms, but, as the state in Cyprus is much more prescriptive (even down to printing their own sanctioned text books, which all must use), teachers feel they have less flexibility.

As a result, there is a page by page, chapter by chapter approach to completing text book exercises ...backed up by worksheets and more exercises to do at home. This can amount to a pretty dull and uninspiring diet for many children.

I know that my Greek sister-in-law tears her hair out every evening sitting with her three tired and fractious youngsters, trying to get them to do their homework!

I would imagine that it would indeed be doubly difficult if you are a non-Greek speaker yourself.
GREEK STATE SCHOOLS?? 
  Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » Schools