Not A Member Yet? See All The Features Of The Forum By Clicking Here To Register For FREE! Or Members Login Below:

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Cyprus Eastern Forum Index
Offering Free Help, Advice, Tips & Support for those buying or living in:
Paralimni - Protaras - Pernera - Kapparis - Agia Napa - Larnaca - Oroklini - Pervolia - Kiti - Xylofagou
Vrysoulles - Frenaros - Dherynia - Sotira - Agia Thekla - Liopetri - Ormidia & surrounding areas...

Main Homepage Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Register Directory Memberlist Search

Ads By Forum Sponsors  

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » Legal Questions & Issues » Communal staircase
Communal staircase 
Post: #1   PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 2:52 pm Reply with quote
tonyattherovers
Pictures: 2

Is being used as a dumping ground by the developers tenants for such things as rubbish, shoes etc etc.
Have approached the landlords about this and they seem reluctant to get involved as their tenants are I suspect up to date with their rents and the landlords don't want to be confrontational.
I am quite happy (as far as it goes) to move this rubbish to clear the area.
I have approached the culprits in the past but it's an ongoing problem.
Am I within my rights just to get rid of this stuff, or could they sue me for theft bla bla...
All replies will be valued as its a persistent problem
Thanks in advance all
Tony
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Hide These Ads? Register for Free or Login

Communal staircase 
Post: #2   PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 3:10 pm Reply with quote
paterson
Pictures: 0

You could ask the Fire Dept for advice/help.
Pretty certain I feel, they would deem anything in a stairwell as a hazard.

Tony
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Post: #3   PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 3:54 pm Reply with quote
mouse
Pictures: 1

It is a Fire risk.

What we did is put a notice in the stairwell area, saying that basically anything left in the stairwell constitutes a fire risk and will be removed to the outside Bins.

We had a major fire in one of our blocks a few years ago. So we do not tolerate anything left in the stairwell. Sometimes if we know who left it we knock and ask them to move the object or do they need help to move it.

Post: #4   PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 4:28 pm Reply with quote
journo
Pictures: 17

The stairs are an emergency exit and as such are required by law to be kept clear.

I believe you could cover yourselves by placing notices at the entrance/exit to the block and on each landing at the stairwell acess in Greek and Turkish (the two official languages of the RoC) but in English as an added measure.

Something to the effect of: "It is illegal to leave any items on the stairwell, which is an emergency exit from the block. Anything found on the stairwell will be removed from the building immediately and placed outside. If not removed by the owners within [14 ] days, it will be disposed of. Thank you for your co-operation'.
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Post: #5   PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 6:55 pm Reply with quote
Tangutica
Pictures: 26

Journo I found it more productive to print notices in Greek and English and whatever other languages were spoken by MOST of the residents in the block when it came to stuff like not jamming Fire Doors open, not chaining bicycles to the fire hydrants! So I suggest OP finds out who the offenders are and what language THEY understand before wasting their time on notices they might not be able to read.

Just Greek and Turkish might comply with the two official languages of the island, however my experience is that the few Greek speaking residents spoke and read English too - never had a Turkish speaking resident in any block (even living in the old Turkish Cyp quarters) and made more sense to repeat the message in Arabic and Romanian!

Depends I suppose on whether you hope to get the message across to them and have them do something about it. Or whether you just want to comply with some legal requirement to inform them you are dumping their stuff (if in fact there is a requirement and it is legal to do so)

Apart from making the place look awful, it's DEFINITELY a fire hazard and I recall that bad fire - the severity of which was blamed mainly on old sofas and stuff being stored under the stairway and spreading the fire to the staircase area).

Post: #6   PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 2:23 am Reply with quote
Byker
Membership Closed
Pictures: 4

I always find the direct approach works best, dump the trash outside the offenders door, kick the door and tell them to put it in the trash themselves.

Post: #7   PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 5:32 am Reply with quote
tonyattherovers
Pictures: 2

Thanks for your replies folks.
Gives me something to think about...
Tony
Communal staircase 
  Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » Legal Questions & Issues