Not A Member Yet? See All The Features Of The Forum By Clicking Here To Register For FREE! Or Members Login Below:

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Cyprus Eastern Forum Index
Offering Free Help, Advice, Tips & Support for those buying or living in:
Paralimni - Protaras - Pernera - Kapparis - Agia Napa - Larnaca - Oroklini - Pervolia - Kiti - Xylofagou
Vrysoulles - Frenaros - Dherynia - Sotira - Agia Thekla - Liopetri - Ormidia & surrounding areas...

Main Homepage Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Register Directory Memberlist Search

Ads By Forum Sponsors  

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » Cypriot Charities » books
books 
Post: #1   PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 7:00 pm Reply with quote
snake
Pictures: 0

Hi i have about 80 - 100 books i want to give to a peoples charity shop like red cross, is there one in the famagusta district or will i have to take them to Larnaka. thanks.
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Hide These Ads? Register for Free or Login

Post: #2   PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 2:37 pm Reply with quote
milano
Pictures: 0

There isn't a Red Cross charity shop in Larnaca and I can't find any mention of a Red Cross shop anywhere else,just branches over the island.

If it helps though there is a cancer charity shop in Larnaca which is always very grateful for books. It's on the street at the side of Agias Lazarus church, just off the promenade. Open every day 9.30am - approx. 1pm.

There is also church charity shop - St Helena's opposite the 'old hospital' in Larnaca (where the buses stop). Open 10am-1pm Monday,Wednesday, Friday.

Finally there is an animal charity shop supporting Nicosia dog shelter, in a cul-de-sac off the main street. But I think you were looking to give to a people charity. Open Monday-Saturday 9am-4pm.

Hope that helps

Kizi
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Post: #3   PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 3:08 pm Reply with quote
journo
Pictures: 17

There is also a charity shop in Larnaka supporting Aids patients and their families. (PositiveVoice).

From Agios Lazarus, go past the PASYFAK ('Cancer Charity) shop and take the first road to the left (just after the pet shop).

The Aids charity shop is then almost immediately on your right
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Post: #4   PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 4:17 pm Reply with quote
Tangutica
Pictures: 26

milano wrote:
There isn't a Red Cross charity shop in Larnaca and I can't find any mention of a Red Cross shop anywhere else,just branches over the island.

If it helps though there is a cancer charity shop in Larnaca which is always very grateful for books. It's on the street at the side of Agias Lazarus church, just off the promenade. Open every day 9.30am - approx. 1pm.

There is also church charity shop - St Helena's opposite the 'old hospital' in Larnaca (where the buses stop). Open 10am-1pm Monday,Wednesday, Friday.

Finally there is an animal charity shop supporting Nicosia dog shelter, in a cul-de-sac off the main street. But I think you were looking to give to a people charity. Open Monday-Saturday 9am-4pm.

Hope that helps

Kizi

That surprises me. My old next door neighbour has worked there for many years. She tells me they get too many books handed in, don't need any more and don't have room to display them - they take up valuable space and sell for cents (if you see the way they are displayed in that shop you will believe this - you have to move the ones in front to see the ones behind.) and they don't rotate them much either. I did put a load in there one year and whenever I went to look for a book I was confronted with my own ones that I had to move to see what was behind them! They don't need 'children's clothes' either (if you know the management or staff they will tell you this - they don't sell)

I used to take them to the book stall in the old large Oriklini market where she will buy back for 1 any books but you have to spend the credit on her stall, when that folded, I ended up putting all mine into adjacent holiday flats for the holidaymakers.

In the UK for a while I worked evenings in a vet lab above a big charity shop and we'd see them dumping books into the wheelie bins out the back every night (including some new books donated by local bookstore just discontinued). When I asked them why they just didn't turn them away they said it was not their policy to turn anything away but they just couldn't display or store all the stuff that was donated and fire insurance is a factor too. When I asked why they didn't ditch all the dusty Mills & Boon and put some of the new ones in their place they said they don't have the time to sort through them.

You used to be able to hand in English written books to the Larnaca Library (where the Theatre is) where they have a section (upstairs) for them. I don't know if this is still the case as I no longer live there or use the library. But there were quite short of books last time I was there. There is also somewhere attached to the American Academy that sells used books. I used to go there on Saturday mornings (I think!) but if like me, as a book lover, you hate the thought of books just being thrown away - I would definitely enquire whether any charity shop you have in mind NEEDS more books!
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Cyprus News,Weather & Travel
books 
  Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » Cypriot Charities