Not A Member Yet? See All The Features Of The Forum By Clicking Here To Register For FREE! Or Members Login Below:

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Cyprus Eastern Forum Index
Offering Free Help, Advice, Tips & Support for those buying or living in:
Paralimni - Protaras - Pernera - Kapparis - Agia Napa - Larnaca - Oroklini - Pervolia - Kiti - Xylofagou
Vrysoulles - Frenaros - Dherynia - Sotira - Agia Thekla - Liopetri - Ormidia & surrounding areas...

Main Homepage Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Register Directory Memberlist Search

Ads By Forum Sponsors

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » Restaurants / Bars & Clubs in the Larnaca Area » The Brewery Larnaca Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post: #21   PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 6:46 pm Reply with quote
spurs
Membership Closed
Pictures: 0

Tangutica wrote:
spurs wrote:
Tangutica wrote:
I remember my neices paying €7 each for a small can of Stella Artois many years ago. They could have got a pint of lager at neighbouring establishments for less than half that. I thought most had brought down the prices of their drinks.

I understand the same family owns several of them down there and prices are different in them all.

When they ripped out Moti Mahal cafe that used to have the male belly dancer on the bar (also exorbitant drink prices) all the old chairs and fittings were distributed in yards and on the pavement all around the streets behind where I lived.

Same thing happened when they pulled down Varoshiotis. All the huge blinds just dumped on the pavements for more than a year.

The menu on the link is hard for me to read but it seems about 5 euro for small lager?

€9 euro for small cocktails.
Im actually friends with one of the brothers.....the dad had a kebab restaurant in Famagusta after 74 he opened Varoshotis on the sea front in the Turkish quarter....the brothers now have restaurants all over Cyprus along the finigouthes they have the Irish pub Bailys, and another as well as the Brewery....

Which is roughly what I said without naming all their establishments. They also occupy VERY MANY old Turkish Cypriot properties behind the waterfront. Generations of 'em. Lived right alongside them for more than 6yrs.

Can't see what you being 'friends' with one of the extended family has to do with the price of the drinks to be honest spurs. Unless you think it adds to your 'kudos' to claim a friendship with this lot! The lot that are mainly responsible for RUINING the streets behind where they run (I won't say OWN coz they don't own them) all these places.

I 'know' some of the family who DO own some of them - but that too has nowt to do with what they charge for drinks there or whether the food is up to scratch.
Sleep Sleep Sleep
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Hide These Ads? Register for Free or Login

Post: #22   PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 7:55 pm Reply with quote
ethel

Tang,now look what you done,you sent him to sleep,and before his bedtime too.
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Post: #23   PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 7:36 am Reply with quote
bill
Pictures: 3
Location: nice n sunny cold at night oroklini on the mossie breeding grounds

ethel wrote:

well it started off as a informative thread but went down hill after -- I don't know spurs but I guess we wouldn't get on because we live in a completely different Cyprus with completely different people -- and the kindest thing to do was put this thread to sleep .

I will not return to the brewery /baillys or any other over priced establishment on the sea front just to say yes I go there -- and be accepted

Bill

Post: #24   PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 7:47 am Reply with quote
Andrew Brooks

bill wrote:
ethel wrote:

well it started off as a informative thread but went down hill after -- I don't know spurs but I guess we wouldn't get on because we live in a completely different Cyprus with completely different people -- and the kindest thing to do was put this thread to sleep .

I will not return to the brewery /baillys or any other over priced establishment on the sea front just to say yes I go there -- and be accepted

Bill

Daxi Wink
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Post: #25   PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 7:53 am Reply with quote
spurs
Membership Closed

bill wrote:
ethel wrote:

Bill
On That we agree, but there's more then enough people out there apart from me and you ... who do.

Post: #26   PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 2:36 pm Reply with quote
Andrew Brooks

They're giving it away !

http://www.directdeals.com.cy/index.php/frontend/campaigns/single/1658/The-Brewery-Bar-and-Restaurant?utm_source=newletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=1509+-+E-Hotel-Spa-and-Resort+-+1401362385

Post: #27   PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 8:35 pm Reply with quote
fettler

Well, as I started this, and also said that I would go back and report...

A change in plan precluded my intention of going for a beer and assessing the situation, so we just took the plunge.
Between sitting down and having a waiter in attendance - less than two minutes.
Time for drinks to arrive - maybe 4-5 minutes. Not lightning, but not particularly slow.
The food took about the same length of time as any other restaurant which is not depending on microwave ovens, and was excellent (although MLW reckoned the Caribbean Chicken wasn't as spicy as it had been in the past).
The staff were pleasant and polite.

All in all, as far as we are concerned, it is still good - and the wheat beer is still delicious. Costs a little extra, but what the heck, I'm worth a little extra Very Happy

Good breakfasts, too.
Still one of my favourites.

We shall continue to take Trip Adviser with a large pinch of salt.

Cheers

Alex

Post: #28   PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 11:00 am Reply with quote
Jascat

Only been in the place once, a few years ago.
We got charged over 12 Euros for two half pints of their beer.
Never again.

Hide These Ads? Register for Free or Login

Post: #29   PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 6:32 pm Reply with quote
journo
Pictures: 17

bill wrote:
and I thought hobo's was the Cypriots firm favourite or perhaps that's just the English Cypriots who go there

bill

Two decades ago, it was a Cypriot favourite, and also attracted hundreds of tourists.

Because it had well cooked and presented traditional Cypriot dishes that were also value for money (and the restaurant had great views).

Now, it is an international Steak House. (No problem with the quality of that food). But sadly, despite the same views of Larnaka Bay, it doesn't offer a range of Cypriot dishes.

Which is what my visitors want.

You can eat steak anywhere, in any country, anytime.

Post: #30   PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 7:38 pm Reply with quote
bill

journo wrote:
bill wrote:
and I thought hobo's was the Cypriots firm favourite or perhaps that's just the English Cypriots who go there

bill

Two decades ago, it was a Cypriot favourite, and also attracted hundreds of tourists.

Because it had well cooked and presented traditional Cypriot dishes that were also value for money (and the restaurant had great views).

Now, it is an international Steak House. (No problem with the quality of that food). But sadly, despite the same views of Larnaka Bay, it doesn't offer a range of Cypriot dishes.

Which is what my visitors want.

You can eat steak anywhere, in any country, anytime.

I thought the steakhouse upstairs and the café for the poor down at street level were separate businesses -- I also understood that when pizza hut bought hobo's on Larnaca sea front they bought the brand name ( which is how hobo's have sprung up all over the island) but no doubt spurs will tell us more as he/ she prob knows them personally Rolling Eyes

Bill

Post: #31   PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 8:07 pm Reply with quote
Tangutica
Pictures: 26

Last time I complained about a meal in Hobos, it was the VERY thick, rubbery topping on their lasagne. Their response was 'we didn't cook it, that's how it comes in'.

Nuff said.

Post: #32   PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 9:33 pm Reply with quote
fettler

As we're on Hobo now - loved the steak, but the place was overwarm. Saving money on the a/c, I suppose.
And yes, journo, you can eat steak in any country at any time, but you can't eat steak FROM any country at any time, and the difference is considerable.

Cheers
Alex

Post: #33   PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 4:15 am Reply with quote
Byker
Membership Closed
Pictures: 4

IMO the Brewery is good but overpriced, as in €140 on a working lunch for 5, with no alcohol, that was way over it's class, Hobo's is about the same, but I suppose you have to pay for the position, and as it always seems to be busy they must be doing something right.

It's a shame there isn't a good Cypriot restaurant on the Finikoudes, but for Cypriot food in Larnaca I go down to Militzis, a pleasant walk now the works have finished down there, it's not exactly exciting but the good standard of food never changes. Unlike the service, which unfortunately can go from OK to awful!

Post: #34   PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 12:26 pm Reply with quote
bill

Byker wrote:
IMO the Brewery is good but overpriced, as in €140 on a working lunch for 5, with no alcohol, that was way over it's class, Hobo's is about the same, but I suppose you have to pay for the position, and as it always seems to be busy they must be doing something right.

It's a shame there isn't a good Cypriot restaurant on the Finikoudes, but for Cypriot food in Larnaca I go down to Militzis, a pleasant walk now the works have finished down there, it's not exactly exciting but the good standard of food never changes. Unlike the service, which unfortunately can go from OK to awful!

yes I've noticed the service can be good -- passable or just plain awful.
personally that's another place I don't like but charmers down the road a bit gets my vote and my custom

Bill

Post: #35   PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 9:37 pm Reply with quote
sandyoap

bill wrote:
Byker wrote:

yes I've noticed the service can be good -- passable or just plain awful.
personally that's another place I don't like but charmers down the road a bit gets my vote and my custom

Bill

militzis food we think is good and consistently so. cto take visiting journalists there so they must have faith in it. service, as you say, varies. we'd say from excellent to average to awful. as for charmers, wouldn't touch it and wouldn't ever want a member of the family eat there. used to be ok. now a load of it is preprepared bought in cheap stuff out of large plastic containers. more worried by the fact i don't think their storage areas can ever be inspected.

Join Us Today! Register for Free or Login

Post: #36   PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 6:03 am Reply with quote
spurs
Membership Closed

Been going to Militzis for over twenty five years with family and visitors from abroad, never had a bad meal....food always fresh tasty and plentiful. prices excellent, as for service, the restaurant is always full and busy so don't expect the staff to hang around and tell you their life story.....

Post: #37   PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 7:54 am Reply with quote
Byker
Membership Closed
Pictures: 4

spurs wrote:
Been going to Militzis for over twenty five years with family and visitors from abroad, never had a bad meal....food always fresh tasty and plentiful. prices excellent, as for service, the restaurant is always full and busy so don't expect the staff to hang around and tell you their life story.....

That's he last thing in the world I want. But I do want my main course in less than an hour and the bill (when I ask for it) in less than 20 minutes.

Post: #38   PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 8:09 am Reply with quote
spurs
Membership Closed

Byker wrote:
spurs wrote:

That's he last thing in the world I want. But I do want my main course in less than an hour and the bill (when I ask for it) in less than 20 minutes.
Never waited more then 15/20 min to get our food or 5 min for bill. over the years been there hundreds of times...I havent got any shares in the place, just saying it how i find it.

Post: #39   PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 8:42 am Reply with quote
Tangutica
Pictures: 26

Vlachos Tavern. Now my favourite larnaca eatery. They were very busy too and the service was excellent. From all staff and owner.

Post: #40   PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 8:46 am Reply with quote
spurs
Membership Closed

Vlachos Tavern...gets my vote too
The Brewery Larnaca 
  Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » Restaurants / Bars & Clubs in the Larnaca Area