Not A Member Yet? See All The Features Of The Forum By Clicking Here To Register For FREE! Or Members Login Below:

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Cyprus Eastern Forum Index
Offering Free Help, Advice, Tips & Support for those buying or living in:
Paralimni - Protaras - Pernera - Kapparis - Agia Napa - Larnaca - Oroklini - Pervolia - Kiti - Xylofagou
Vrysoulles - Frenaros - Dherynia - Sotira - Agia Thekla - Liopetri - Ormidia & surrounding areas...

Main Homepage Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Register Directory Memberlist Search

Ads By Forum Sponsors  

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » Restaurants / Bars & Clubs in the Larnaca Area » The Brewery Larnaca Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
The Brewery Larnaca 
Post: #1   PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 9:35 pm Reply with quote
fettler
Pictures: 0

The last few times we have been to Larnaca we have found The Brewery to be superb - good service, excellent food, and brilliant (OK and expensive) beers.
In the last couple of months, a few negative reviews have appeared on Trip Adviser. Has something changed?
We're going this weekend, and were planning our eating activities round The Brewery, so...any observations (beyond the fact that Trip Advisor can be a little erratic at times)?

Thank you

Alex
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Hide These Ads? Register for Free or Login

Post: #2   PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 3:43 am Reply with quote
Bigade
Pictures: 4

A friend of ours was there last week, and was charged 14 euros for a pint and a soft drink. Expensive is not the word!
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail ICQ Number Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Post: #3   PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 3:50 am Reply with quote
Tangutica
Pictures: 26

Bigade wrote:
A friend of ours was there last week, and was charged 14 euros for a pint and a soft drink. Expensive is not the word!

Always was expensive drinks in there. Don't understand why people pay it when they can get same drink cheaper a few feet away at the next place. Not as if Brewery offers anything special going on.
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Post: #4   PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 5:54 am Reply with quote
spurs
Membership Closed

Been there a couple of times recently, only because guests of ours wanted to try it, nothing special, and the food is very average, yes drinks are more expensive then their neighbors, but fourteen euro for a pint and a soft drink, I think the poster has got that wrong.

Links only visible to Registered Members
Register for Free or Login to the forum.

Post: #5   PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 11:14 am Reply with quote
Bigade
Pictures: 4

Tangutica wrote:
Bigade wrote:

Always was expensive drinks in there. Don't understand why people pay it when they can get same drink cheaper a few feet away at the next place. Not as if Brewery offers anything special going on.

They wanted to try the ale that they brew there ...... nothing special was the report, and certainly not worth the money!
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail ICQ Number Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Post: #6   PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 11:35 am Reply with quote
pumpkin

We nipped in on Easter Saturday, for a quick brandy. I realise that we perhaps weren't the big spenders that they were hoping for, but we were literally going to be in and out in 10 minutes, before heading off for the midnight service at St. Lazarus.
We sat at the bar, and they quickly took our order, they said they were busy but would so it in a minute!!?? I nipped to the loo, and when I returned my husband was still waiting!! So I asked again, and was told again they would do in a minute (3 or 4 staff behind bar) and they most certainly were not busy, well not with customers anyway. We would have walked out, but after our flight my hubby was pretty keen for a brandy. They eventually served us after about 15 mins, so I immediately asked to pay, you can guess what the reply was Evil or Very Mad
I got up and walked out, my husband was too embarrassed and waited, it took at least another 10 minutes, I will never go near the place again, they are a bit full of themselves
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Post: #7   PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 2:31 pm Reply with quote
bill
Pictures: 3
Location: nice n sunny cold at night oroklini on the mossie breeding grounds

pumpkin wrote:
We nipped in on Easter Saturday, for a quick brandy. I realise that we perhaps weren't the big spenders that they were hoping for, but we were literally going to be in and out in 10 minutes, before heading off for the midnight service at St. Lazarus.
We sat at the bar, and they quickly took our order, they said they were busy but would so it in a minute!!?? I nipped to the loo, and when I returned my husband was still waiting!! So I asked again, and was told again they would do in a minute (3 or 4 staff behind bar) and they most certainly were not busy, well not with customers anyway. We would have walked out, but after our flight my hubby was pretty keen for a brandy. They eventually served us after about 15 mins, so I immediately asked to pay, you can guess what the reply was Evil or Very Mad
I got up and walked out, my husband was too embarrassed and waited, it took at least another 10 minutes, I will never go near the place again, they are a bit full of themselves

I got the same impression wen I went there and came to the same conclusion --never again --theres plenty of other places that will welcome my business.
haven't been again but I guess it will be busy again this summer with the young and trendy splashing the cash around to prove who and what they are Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Wink

Bill

Post: #8   PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 7:02 pm Reply with quote
Tangutica

I remember my neices paying 7 each for a small can of Stella Artois many years ago. They could have got a pint of lager at neighbouring establishments for less than half that. I thought most had brought down the prices of their drinks.

I understand the same family owns several of them down there and prices are different in them all.

When they ripped out Moti Mahal cafe that used to have the male belly dancer on the bar (also exorbitant drink prices) all the old chairs and fittings were distributed in yards and on the pavement all around the streets behind where I lived.

Same thing happened when they pulled down Varoshiotis. All the huge blinds just dumped on the pavements for more than a year.

The menu on the link is hard for me to read but it seems about 5 euro for small lager?

9 euro for small cocktails.

Hide These Ads? Register for Free or Login

Post: #9   PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 7:26 pm Reply with quote
spurs
Membership Closed

Tangutica wrote:
I remember my neices paying 7 each for a small can of Stella Artois many years ago. They could have got a pint of lager at neighbouring establishments for less than half that. I thought most had brought down the prices of their drinks.

I understand the same family owns several of them down there and prices are different in them all.

When they ripped out Moti Mahal cafe that used to have the male belly dancer on the bar (also exorbitant drink prices) all the old chairs and fittings were distributed in yards and on the pavement all around the streets behind where I lived.

Same thing happened when they pulled down Varoshiotis. All the huge blinds just dumped on the pavements for more than a year.

The menu on the link is hard for me to read but it seems about 5 euro for small lager?

Im actually friends with one of the brothers.....the dad had a kebab restaurant in Famagusta after 74 he opened Varoshotis on the sea front in the Turkish quarter....the brothers now have restaurants all over Cyprus along the finigouthes they have the Irish pub Bailys, and another as well as the Brewery....

Post: #10   PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 8:36 pm Reply with quote
pumpkin

It's a shame really, after looking at the menu on the above link, it looks like exactly the sort of place we would go to eat.
Oh well...

Post: #11   PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 9:32 pm Reply with quote
fettler

Thank you everybody - clearly things have changed.
Unfortunately, I find their wheat beer to be excellent (and unavailable elsewhere) and was willing to pay over the odds for something I enjoyed so much.
In the light of all the valuable information here, I think dropping in for a beer (rather than making it the dinner site) is advisable.
Thanks again, I'll report my findings next week.

Cheers

Alex

Post: #12   PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 6:18 am Reply with quote
Andrew Brooks

I thought the Varoshiotis group were supposed to be in trouble financially ? I was informed that the family were having to actually work in the business again ?

My impression of the old fish restaurant and the bars on the seafront was that they had priced themselves too high. I understand that this is often done to attract a more exclusive clientele but it is a risky policy if quality and service don't match the prices.

Post: #13   PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 6:38 am Reply with quote
spurs
Membership Closed

Andrew Brooks wrote:
I thought the Varoshiotis group were supposed to be in trouble financially ? I was informed that the family were having to actually work in the business again ?

My impression of the old fish restaurant and the bars on the seafront was that they had priced themselves too high. I understand that this is often done to attract a more exclusive clientele but it is a risky policy if quality and service don't match the prices.
No they are not in financial trouble, go down there any night and especially weekends, and try and find an empty table...they have always been hands on in their restaurants!

Post: #14   PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 7:29 am Reply with quote
bill

personally I don't care if they are in financial trouble or not but if they keep up their policy of highest prices on the strip they soon will be .
of course there will still be the "look at me- I can afford this" peeps but like any watering hole the elite will soon move to somewhere more trendy and probably more expensive ---. customers are very fickle and soon drop one place and move on --- trying to attract the trendy AND keep them is risky business .
bill

Post: #15   PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 7:55 am Reply with quote
spurs
Membership Closed

bill wrote:
personally I don't care if they are in financial trouble or not but if they keep up their policy of highest prices on the strip they soon will be .
of course there will still be the "look at me- I can afford this" peeps but like any watering hole the elite will soon move to somewhere more trendy and probably more expensive . customers are very fickle and soon drop one place and more on --- trying to attract the trendy AND keep them is risky business .
bill
I think you have got it wrong regards attracting the trendy...the so called young look at me group, don't frequent the Brewery, you will see them at what ever's in at the moment ..at the moment its the Mckenzy area....what gives the Brewery an advantage is having a prime position, you will see a selection of tourists/Cypriots there, old and young....their prices have been on the high side since they opened many years ago and still fill the place up..so price isnt an issue for many people.....

Join Us Today! Register for Free or Login

Post: #16   PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 10:42 am Reply with quote
bill

you are fighting their corner very well spurs .

what I'd like to know if its tourists frequenting the Brewery do they come again after the shock when they get the bill and if its Cypriots ( it was mostly young Cypriots when I went there ) where on earth do they get the money -- all the young Cypriots I know are complaining about the high unemployment and those with jobs of salary cuts -- their seems to be no shortage of status conscious young Cypriots splashing the cash --the young Cypriots certainly don't want to be like their parents -- walking 5 k to save 10 cents

Bill

Post: #17   PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 10:49 am Reply with quote
spurs
Membership Closed

bill wrote:

what I'd like to know if its tourists frequenting the Brewery do they come again after the shock when they get the bill and if its Cypriots ( it was mostly young Cypriots when I went there ) where on earth do they get the money -- all the young Cypriots I know are complaining about the high unemployment and those with jobs of salary cuts -- their seems to be no shortage of status conscious young Cypriots splashing the cash --the young Cypriots certainly don't want to be like their parents -- walking 5 k to save 10 cents

Bill
Bill Nothing to do with fighting my corner, as far as im concerned the place is over priced for average food/drink..the only reason ive been there recently is when you have visitors to entertain there isnt allot of places to visit along the Finigouthes, we go down most nights and the place is buzzing with customers, I dont try and analyze the reasons why people go there....I see with my own eyes the place is usually full with tourists?Cypriots....it is what it is.

Post: #18   PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 11:17 am Reply with quote
bill

spurs wrote:
bill wrote:

Bill
Bill Nothing to do with fighting my corner, as far as im concerned the place is over priced for average food/drink..the only reason ive been there recently is when you have visitors to entertain there isnt allot of places to visit along the Finigouthes, we go down most nights and the place is buzzing with customers, I dont try and analyze the reasons why people go there....I see with my own eyes the place is usually full with tourists?Cypriots....it is what it is.

and I thought hobo's was the Cypriots firm favourite or perhaps that's just the English Cypriots who go there

bill

Post: #19   PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 11:28 am Reply with quote
spurs
Membership Closed

bill wrote:
spurs wrote:
bill wrote:

Bill

and I thought hobo's was the Cypriots firm favourite or perhaps that's just the English Cypriots who go there

bill
Cant stand that place either Bill...but its all about location, location, location.

Post: #20   PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 4:23 pm Reply with quote
Tangutica

spurs wrote:
Tangutica wrote:

Im actually friends with one of the brothers.....the dad had a kebab restaurant in Famagusta after 74 he opened Varoshotis on the sea front in the Turkish quarter....the brothers now have restaurants all over Cyprus along the finigouthes they have the Irish pub Bailys, and another as well as the Brewery....

Which is roughly what I said without naming all their establishments. They also occupy VERY MANY old Turkish Cypriot properties behind the waterfront. Generations of 'em. Lived right alongside them for more than 6yrs.

Can't see what you being 'friends' with one of the extended family has to do with the price of the drinks to be honest spurs. Unless you think it adds to your 'kudos' to claim a friendship with this lot! The lot that are mainly responsible for RUINING the streets behind where they run (I won't say OWN coz they don't own them) all these places.

I 'know' some of the family who DO own some of them - but that too has nowt to do with what they charge for drinks there or whether the food is up to scratch.
The Brewery Larnaca 
  Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » Restaurants / Bars & Clubs in the Larnaca Area