Not A Member Yet? See All The Features Of The Forum By Clicking Here To Register For FREE! Or Members Login Below:

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Cyprus Eastern Forum Index
Offering Free Help, Advice, Tips & Support for those buying or living in:
Paralimni - Protaras - Pernera - Kapparis - Agia Napa - Larnaca - Oroklini - Pervolia - Kiti - Xylofagou
Vrysoulles - Frenaros - Dherynia - Sotira - Agia Thekla - Liopetri - Ormidia & surrounding areas...

Main Homepage Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Register Directory Memberlist Search

Ads By Forum Sponsors  

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » Computer Corner » WhatsApp
WhatsApp 
Post: #1   PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 3:58 am Reply with quote
PatCon
Pictures: 0

Just received mail from WhatsApp to say they have a voice message for me. As I don't know them I googled them and their website looks very professional so I opened the mail. Dadn't get a message though. Now Avast! tells me it is a dangerous site. Any advice welcome.

Hide These Ads? Register for Free or Login

Post: #2   PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 4:14 am Reply with quote
linglieglen

Been using it for 4 months, no problems, great for sending pics.

Linglieglen
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Post: #3   PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 8:02 am Reply with quote
NotPerfectButHappy

I second what linglieglen says I have been using what's app about a year now, great for sending pictures and messages over wifi. Not heard of anything dangerous about them Smile

Post: #4   PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 8:22 am Reply with quote
anpet

PatCon wrote:
Just received mail from WhatsApp to say they have a voice message for me. As I don't know them I googled them and their website looks very professional so I opened the mail. Dadn't get a message though. Now Avast! tells me it is a dangerous site. Any advice welcome.

Your anti-virus may well flag Whatsapp as being suspicious as it's quite intrusive but as far as I know safe.

However, isn't Whatsapp for text messages only? Why would you have a voice message? Sounds a little peculiar.

Regards, Pete

Exclamation Question
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Post: #5   PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 8:42 am Reply with quote
J B
Location: Shropshire/Staffordshire/Cheshire (UK) and Tala (Paphos) sometimes!

Was the message really from WhatsApp ? Or was it just another scam, like the ones you get from the bank/paypal etc etc.

Confused

Presumably as you had to google them you don't have an 'account' with them, so it's probably a scam/virus.

Post: #6   PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 8:49 am Reply with quote
PatCon

J B wrote:
Was the message really from WhatsApp ? Or was it just another scam, like the ones you get from the bank/paypal etc etc.

Confused

Presumably as you had to google them you don't have an 'account' with them, so it's probably a scam/virus.

Right. In fact it was a virus transporter. I did two full scans but my virus is still there. This is from my iPad, Computer tech coming today grrr!

Post: #7   PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 9:52 am Reply with quote
Tangutica
Pictures: 26

I've used whatsapp for a while - dunno about 'voice messages' though.

It's great for sending images to other whatsapp users (and texts) and costs nothing.
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Post: #8   PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 10:44 am Reply with quote
devil
Pictures: 1

Links only visible to Registered Members
Register for Free or Login to the forum.

Hide These Ads? Register for Free or Login

Post: #9   PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 10:48 am Reply with quote
Tangutica
Pictures: 26

devil wrote:
http://www.rightmobilephone.co.uk/apps/news/24400/whatsapp-being-targeted-by-malware/

Cheers for that Devil I've passed it on to the family members who use WHATSAPP.
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Post: #10   PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 10:58 am Reply with quote
Mr Tibbs

PatCon wrote:
J B wrote:

Confused

Right. In fact it was a virus transporter. I did two full scans but my virus is still there. This is from my iPad, Computer tech coming today grrr!

Sounds as though you were caught like me (see "Trojan horses").

Post: #11   PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 6:52 am Reply with quote
PatCon

My computer tech Colin took my PC to his workshop yesterday and has just brought it back. It seems no antivirus scans would detect the problem because it was not a virus. It was malware as described in the link given by Devil. It's easy to fall for it because they suggest downloading something they call "AntivirusPro - it's free!". When you download this it puts malware on your registry and normal users can't kill it. So these crooks tell you to transfer a small amount to them and they will give you the tool to get rid of the malware. This means giving "them" your credit card details and THAT is the while object of the scam. They can then charge your account as much as and whenever they want.

Post: #12   PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:53 am Reply with quote
Hatte

WhatsApp Business recognizes Land Lines

WhatsApp on land lines: Yes, it is possible now to use a fixed land telephone line for WhatsApp. If you have a personal phone number that is different from your business phone number, you can have both WhatsApp Business and WhatsApp Messenger on the same phone, and register them with two different numbers and the good news is that FIXED LINES ARE RECOGNIZED: You can use WhatsApp Business with a land line and your customers will be able to send you messages on this number.

Read the entire article here:
Links only visible to Registered Members
Register for Free or Login to the forum.

WhatsApp 
  Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » Computer Corner