Not A Member Yet? See All The Features Of The Forum By Clicking Here To Register For FREE! Or Members Login Below:

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Cyprus Eastern Forum Index
Offering Free Help, Advice, Tips & Support for those buying or living in:
Paralimni - Protaras - Pernera - Kapparis - Agia Napa - Larnaca - Oroklini - Pervolia - Kiti - Xylofagou
Vrysoulles - Frenaros - Dherynia - Sotira - Agia Thekla - Liopetri - Ormidia & surrounding areas...

Main Homepage Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Register Directory Memberlist Search

Ads By Forum Sponsors

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » Doctors / Hospitals / Health & Medicines » Health Insurance Options?
Health Insurance Options? 
Post: #1   PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 12:32 pm Reply with quote
Steve - SJD
Site Admin
Site Admin
Pictures: 55

Hi,

Can I just check whether I have understood the issue of healthcare correctly please.
Ok this is for those that will be working and not retired:

If I pay the Cypriot Social Stamp on earnings would my family be entitled to
standard state hospital cover on the same basis as Cypriots?

If I pay for Health Insurance for the family then I take it we would be
covered in the private hospitals?

As I will be keeping a business in the UK running is there a better way of
doing this that will ensure that both myself and family will be covered?

Advice appreciated!

Cheers

Steve
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Hide These Ads? Register for Free or Login

Post: #2   PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 1:19 pm Reply with quote
caligi
Pictures: 0

Great minds think alike!?! spooky as I was just looking into it.

I have noticed on the boards that there are some that think just because social insurance is paid that they are entitled to free health care..

I dont think there is any free healthcare here unless you are on very low income or retired?!?

If pink/yellow slip permanent resident working and paying social insurance you are then entitled to apply for a medical card..which will mean paying reduced fees!

We took our insurance out when my husband left his job here in Cyprus in 2004..before then we were all covered by the companies health insurance (one of the few perks!)

Because of what happened to me in December I am so glad we had it in place.. many places offer insurance & on my policy all the children are covered for free.

Correct me if im wrong on any of the above!
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Post: #3   PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 4:10 am Reply with quote
Steve - SJD
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hi,

Thanks for the reply!

Cheers

Steve
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Post: #4   PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 7:26 am Reply with quote
Chris Mooney

Steve
If you are under state retirement age...
If you are still 'resident' in UK then your EHIC will cover you for the equivilent of NHS cover. If you intend on residing here, spending more than 183 days in cyprus AND if you decide to inform the DWP in UK that you have left UK permanently (which of course you will need to do) then they suspend your EHIC from the date you leave. If you have been paying NI contribs in UK then you apply for a form E106. Depending on how much contributions have been made, in this financial year, they will give you the E106 which has an expiry date,generally 2 years hence. this form you take to the health authority in Cyprus and you are then entitled to a reduced rate NHS type cover. It used to be 1.20CYP per visit to the doctors? depending on your income?
Once this E106 has expired you have no medical cover, unless you go private.
If you are working over here, and have registered with social insurance office, and are paying your stamp here, then you will be issued with a pink medical card which entitles you to the same as above (depending on declared income)
If you're paying your stamp here this will also go towrds your state pension when you do get to crumbley status.
If you are already a crumbley then you're entitled to free NHS cover here. You need from E121 from DWP and ditto above.
Sorry 'bout the long winded reply but HTH
Chris

Post: #5   PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 10:25 am Reply with quote
Steve - SJD
Site Admin
Site Admin

Chris,

That does help - so thanks for the in-depth reply - appreciated!

Just one question if I may and apologies if it's a daft one but....

So say i'm resident in Cyprus
Under retirement age
Self employed and paying Cypriot Social Stamp

Would both myself and my family (wife & children) be entitled to a
reduced rate NHS type cover - or would it just be me entitled to it as the
payer of the stamp?

Cheers

Steve

Post: #6   PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 12:03 pm Reply with quote
Buddy

Hi Steve,

I am sure your whole family would be entitled. I have now got a social insurance number, Vas hasn't yet, and he is entitled. He is Cypriot though. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

Sue

Post: #7   PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 7:39 am Reply with quote
Chris Mooney

I agree with Sue
As your dependants your wife and child(ren), only while in full time education, will be entitled too.
Chris

Post: #8   PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 10:30 am Reply with quote
Steve - SJD
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hi,

Thanks everyone - very helpful! Applause

One to be saved to my own bookmarks methinks Smile

Cheers

Steve

Hide These Ads? Register for Free or Login

Health Insurance Options? 
  Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » Doctors / Hospitals / Health & Medicines