Not A Member Yet? See All The Features Of The Forum By Clicking Here To Register For FREE! Or Members Login Below:

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Cyprus Eastern Forum Index
Offering Free Help, Advice, Tips & Support for those buying or living in:
Paralimni - Protaras - Pernera - Kapparis - Agia Napa - Larnaca - Oroklini - Pervolia - Kiti - Xylofagou
Vrysoulles - Frenaros - Dherynia - Sotira - Agia Thekla - Liopetri - Ormidia & surrounding areas...

Main Homepage Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Register Directory Memberlist Search

Ads By Forum Sponsors  

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » Coffee Shop Chat » Pope Francis I elected
Pope Francis I elected 
Post: #1   PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:30 pm Reply with quote
Kwacka
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Pictures: 3

Cardinal Jorge Marion Bergoglio of Argentina elected Pope, the first Pope from outside Europe and the first to choose a new name.

Aged 76, he is the first Jesuit Pope.

Hide These Ads? Register for Free or Login

Post: #2   PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:03 pm Reply with quote
bill
Location: nice n sunny cold at night oroklini on the mossie breeding grounds

I would have put money on the new pope coming from africa cuz so many are turning away from rome and embracing the muslim faith there ---the catholic church needs some good pr there and a pope from africa wud have been a boost for the church .
oh well they probably missed a golden opportunity.

Post: #3   PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:13 pm Reply with quote
Bigade
Pictures: 4

Why do they always elect a fossil ........ 76 yrs old, it won't be long until they have to do it all over again ......... Smile
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail ICQ Number Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Post: #4   PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:13 pm Reply with quote
bill
Location: nice n sunny cold at night oroklini on the mossie breeding grounds

I was once told by a catholic priest that they pick one of the elders cuz they are supposed to have experience of life but in reality they know nothing -- shear stupidity to elect someone half dead already -- it wud be better getting someone in their 50's so at least they can get a few years out of him

Post: #5   PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:13 pm Reply with quote
journo
Pictures: 17

mmm, 76 and with only one functioning lung. Conservative in some ways, but hot on social injustice, willing to speak out, and has been travelling to work by bus Smile And how refreshing that the bloke's first words to the crowd were 'good evening'... and then he went on to crack a joke Smile

Not a bad thing to have to 'do it all again soon' Bigade......imagine, in this era, the scenario of being stuck with the same Pope for 40+ years because he'd been elected young Shocked
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Post: #6   PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:25 pm Reply with quote
Kwacka
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unfortunately in the Catholic church (as in many organisations) you only get on by adopting the philosophies of that organisation. in this case almost half of the Cardinals were promoted by the previous Pope, so it might be safe to assume that his beliefs on many tenets of the Church are identical to his predecessor.

Pleased to see that he had reminded bishops that Jesus talked with lepers & prostitutes.

Post: #7   PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:03 am Reply with quote
Byker
Membership Closed

Oh Christ (no pun intended)...He's a Jesuit....

Quote:
The Monita Secreta (Secret Instructions of the Jesuits), published in 1612 and in 1614, in Kraków, is alternately alleged to have been written either by Claudio Acquaviva, the fifth general of the society, or written by Jerome Zahorowski. The purported Secret Instructions of the Jesuits are the methods to be adopted by the Jesuits for the acquisition of greater power and influence for the Society and for the Roman Catholic Church

PV will be along in a minute... Rolling Eyes
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Post: #8   PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:56 am Reply with quote
Bigade

I agree that a change in policies is way overdue, and that he might just be the guy to get it all started, but when he goes, they will elect a new guy in his stead, who could put it all back again. The Vatican is in the dark now, and always will be, because the church does not believe in change. They are the all powerful, and we will bend to their whim .........that is their way, and nothing changes. Just take a look at the power the church has over everything here in Cyprus. We have a government, yet many of the laws followed here are as a result of the church, and they make such a noise if those laws are threatened.
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail ICQ Number Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Hide These Ads? Register for Free or Login

Pope Francis I 
Post: #9   PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:22 am Reply with quote
ProVox
Membership Suspended
Pictures: 0

Byker:
Quote:
PV will be along in a minute... Rolling Eyes

Sorry to disappoint you Byker but I am an atheist and never comment on something I know nothing about, unlike like some! Good luck to him, he looks remarkably spritely for his advanced years and he seems to be able to relate easily to the flock.

Post: #10   PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:25 am Reply with quote
LynSab
Pictures: 1

I admire those who have faith, no problems with that, but the preachers of those faiths are incredible in their beliefs to the detriment of millions plus non believers too. When they change their idiotic, outdated and dangerous beliefs such as abortion, contraception, sex abuse, women priests, homosexuality and goodness knows what else, then I would defend them along with the faithful, while we have mostly men of the cloth preaching such teachings then I want power stripped from these mullahs, popes and archibishops who often create many more problems than there needs to be.

No wish to upset followers, but damage is one often in the name of God or Mohammed or the virgin Mary.

As someone has already said the Pope is picked not by the people but by the cardinals who are responsible for spreading the doctrines worldwide they wouldn't pick someone who would change things.

Age is tantamount IMO but imagine having all that doctrine to uphold plus come from Argentina I wonder if he will keep out of the dispute between the UK and The Falklands, he should but will he?

Post: #11   PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:15 pm Reply with quote
scottie

Bigade wrote:
Why do they always elect a fossil ........ 76 yrs old, it won't be long until they have to do it all over again ......... Smile

Does seem a bit ironic that when a cardinal reaches 80 he loses his right to vote for a new Pope, yet if he is elected Pope at only 4 years younger he can go on forever. Must make sense to someone I suppose Rolling Eyes

Post: #12   PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:17 pm Reply with quote
Tangutica
Pictures: 26

Yours not to reason why Scottie - get yerself back on the confused step!

Post: #13   PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:34 pm Reply with quote
scottie

Tangutica wrote:
Yours not to reason why Scottie - get yerself back on the confused step!

I never leave it and that's a FACT Laughing

Post: #14   PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:48 pm Reply with quote
DAC
Pictures: 9

Bigade wrote:

Much like with the choosing of the Comrade Leader of the old Soviet Union, there is/was a method in their apparent madness.

By electing an aged man, if he is a good leader and he dies early then it was good while it lasted. Whereas, if he turns out to be a bad leader, then it'll not be long till he dies.
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Post: #15   PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:59 am Reply with quote
cansweet

The head of the church in england isn't too young either, as far as I remember. She's heading for 90 and her heir won't be too young when he takes over, without any election, if he lives.

Here she is sitting proudly on her throne after her recent dose of the runs.

Links only visible to Registered Members
Register for Free or Login to the forum.

Join Us Today! Register for Free or Login

Post: #16   PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:50 am Reply with quote
mouse

cansweet wrote:
The head of the church in england isn't too young either, as far as I remember. She's heading for 90 and her heir won't be too young when he takes over, without any election, if he lives.

Here she is sitting proudly on her throne after her recent dose of the runs.

Links only visible to Registered Members
Register for Free or Login to the forum.

But at least we have got 60 years of service so far and counting. If we get the same from the pope he will be 135 years old.
That's your'e observation down the Pan. Wink

Post: #17   PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:13 am Reply with quote
essence
Membership Closed

Legs on HM,dont look bad...re the pope,he says UK should get out of Malvinas...**** off says me

Post: #18   PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 4:44 pm Reply with quote
sandyoap

essence wrote:
Legs on HM,dont look bad...re the pope,he says UK should get out of Malvinas...**** off says me

rock on francis 1! go for it my man Smile

Post: #19   PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 5:15 pm Reply with quote
cansweet

mouse wrote:

But at least we have got 60 years of service so far and counting. If we get the same from the pope he will be 135 years old.

Good one Mouse. Some service alright from the freak show royals. When she gets up from that sitting, you might see a royal flush. That's about the only thing, she, or, any of them, can show for their waste of time.

Post: #20   PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 6:45 pm Reply with quote
mouse

cansweet wrote:
mouse wrote:

Good one Mouse. Some service alright from the freak show royals. When she gets up from that sitting, you might see a royal flush. That's about the only thing, she, or, any of them, can show for their waste of time.

This could start a Wink Chain Reaction. The replies could be Cisternmatic. The mind Boggles. Wink

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » Coffee Shop Chat