Not A Member Yet? See All The Features Of The Forum By Clicking Here To Register For FREE! Or Members Login Below:

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Cyprus Eastern Forum Index
Offering Free Help, Advice, Tips & Support for those buying or living in:
Paralimni - Protaras - Pernera - Kapparis - Agia Napa - Larnaca - Oroklini - Pervolia - Kiti - Xylofagou
Vrysoulles - Frenaros - Dherynia - Sotira - Agia Thekla - Liopetri - Ormidia & surrounding areas...

Main Homepage Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Register Directory Memberlist Search

Ads By Forum Sponsors

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » Coffee Shop Chat » And it wears out the bulbs....!!
And it wears out the bulbs....!! 
Post: #1   PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:42 am Reply with quote
Woodrow Why?at
Pictures: 0

Is there anything more annoying (actually, I'm sure there is! Smile ) than when you're trying to pull out of a side road to turn right, and you wait for an oncoming car on the main road to pass, only for it to then turn left beside you without indicating!!

Now, I know it's a great effort to move one's hand up a fraction from the steering wheel and exert pressure on the stick to operate the indicator, but it really can assist other drivers if you make the effort!! Cool

Indeed, the only real reason I can think of for not doing so, is that it does force the idiot behind, who is trying to get into your boot, to have to slam on his anchors when you unexpectedly brake before turning! Shocked

Of course, another excellent way to annoy tailgaters, is to simply slow down to the permitted speed limit!! Wink

Hide These Ads? Register for Free or Login

Re: And it wears out the bulbs....!! 
Post: #2   PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:48 am Reply with quote
2diffs

Woodrow Why?at wrote:
Is there anything more annoying (actually, I'm sure there is! Smile ) than when you're trying to pull out of a side road to turn right, and you wait for an oncoming car on the main road to pass, only for it to then turn left beside you without indicating!!

Now, I know it's a great effort to move one's hand up a fraction from the steering wheel and exert pressure on the stick to operate the indicator, but it really can assist other drivers if you make the effort!! Cool

Indeed, the only real reason I can think of for not doing so, is that it does force the idiot behind, who is trying to get into your boot, to have to slam on his anchors when you unexpectedly brake before turning! Shocked

Of course, another excellent way to annoy tailgaters, is to simply slow down to the permitted speed limit!! Wink

But it can be even more annoying if you pull out when he/SHE is indicating but has not cancelled since the last turn, it could create a real impression.....in your door. There is also the additional risk of an overtaking "one wheel" scooter spoiling your day and his.
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Post: #3   PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:35 am Reply with quote
Woodrow Why?at

I did say I was sure there was!! Wink

Post: #4   PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:40 am Reply with quote
geoffreys
Membership Closed
Pictures: 1

I would rather they did not signal at all, rather than signalling one way, and then going the other way.
That is the expat drivers!
The Cypriot drivers just don't seem to bother.
Geoff
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Post: #5   PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:52 am Reply with quote
mouse

No!! the Cypriot's don't indicate because they think they are saving electricity, or think they are not working properly, Yes they are!!, no they're not!! Yes they are!!.
Or it could be that they know where they are going and they want too keep it a secret.

Post: #6   PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:09 pm Reply with quote
geoffreys
Membership Closed

mouse wrote:
No!! the Cypriot's don't indicate because they think they are saving electricity, or think they are not working properly, Yes they are!!, no they're not!! Yes they are!!.
Or it could be that they know where they are going and they want too keep it a secret.

Oh I see, that is why they don't bother.
Good here isn't it!
Geoff

Post: #7   PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:14 pm Reply with quote
hatzyian
Pictures: 10

After just having had two weeks driving in UK, I can say that it's no better there.

If you can't be good, be careful
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Post: #8   PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:22 pm Reply with quote
mouse

hatzyian wrote:
After just having had two weeks driving in UK, I can say that it's no better there.

I can assure you after 30 years of driving in the UK 99% of the drivers there at least know what they are doing and 99% obey the driving laws.

Hide These Ads? Register for Free or Login

Post: #9   PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:09 pm Reply with quote
journo
Pictures: 17

mouse wrote:
No!! the Cypriot's don't indicate because they think they are saving electricity, or think they are not working properly, Yes they are!!, no they're not!! Yes they are!!...........

I thought that was always the quote of the Irishman asked to tell his mate whether or not the indicators were working before the MOT check..... Very Happy
Re: And it wears out the bulbs....!! 
Post: #10   PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:34 pm Reply with quote
anpet

Think its because they,re not sure what the green lamp on the dash is. After all, it is a different colour to the indicator lens. Rolling Eyes

Post: #11   PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:46 pm Reply with quote
hatzyian
Pictures: 10

mouse wrote:
hatzyian wrote:

I can assure you after 30 years of driving in the UK 99% of the drivers there at least know what they are doing and 99% obey the driving laws.

I must have seen all that 1% in the time I was there. No signals, hogging the overtaking lanes of motorways when inside lanes empty, tailgating, and talking on mobiles, nearly as bad as here.

When I left UK 30 odd years ago the driving was good, but I think that in the past 10years or so, standards have gone down rapidly. Ever since the traffic police were downsized, and speed cameras where the new god.

If you can't be good, be careful

Post: #12   PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:24 am Reply with quote
Pervolia Dave

And what side of the road do the Cypriots drive on ? The side in the shade. .

Post: #13   PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 2:33 pm Reply with quote
mouse

Pervolia Dave wrote:
And what side of the road do the Cypriots drive on ? The side in the shade. .

Or the middle and only give way to aggressive looking vehicles. Wink Laughing

Post: #14   PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 3:07 pm Reply with quote
SensibleBob

after a month in uk i noticed a huge rush to get nowhere attitude or is it just i am used to good old cypriot speed? One nice thing to get back to is the courtesy drivers regularly show here to pedestrians;several times i got beeped or nearly run over for the sole reason of crossing theroad when a car was approaching and clearly felt i should not cross.

last sunday in Uk not a single car was parked insonsiderately outside the church.Today in Avgorou and Frenaros it was impossible to drive past the church without taking avoiding action from cars on double yellow lines or paths.

When we first arrived here i was told its a sign of weakness to reveal your intention by using indicators.

Post: #15   PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 3:27 pm Reply with quote
Tangutica
Pictures: 26

I was taught to ignore the indication and wait until you see their wheels start turning rather than assume they will turn!

And yes they should be saving electricity in today's financial climate!

Join Us Today! Register for Free or Login

And it wears out the bulbs....!! 
  Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » Coffee Shop Chat