Not A Member Yet? See All The Features Of The Forum By Clicking Here To Register For FREE! Or Members Login Below:

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Cyprus Eastern Forum Index
Offering Free Help, Advice, Tips & Support for those buying or living in:
Paralimni - Protaras - Pernera - Kapparis - Agia Napa - Larnaca - Oroklini - Pervolia - Kiti - Xylofagou
Vrysoulles - Frenaros - Dherynia - Sotira - Agia Thekla - Liopetri - Ormidia & surrounding areas...

 
Main Homepage Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Register Directory Memberlist Search

Ads By Forum Sponsors  

    
Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » Coffee Shop Chat » Sikh guard Goto page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic  Reply to topic   View previous topic : View next topic 
Sikh guard 
Post: #1   PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:44 am Reply with quote
spurs
Membership Closed
Joined: 24 Jan 2009
Posts: 6763
Pictures: 0

 
Sikh soldier makes history as he guards Buckingham Palace wearing turban instead of traditional bearskin


Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2246410/Sikh-soldier-makes-history-guards-Buckingham-Palace-wearing-turban-instead-traditional-bearskin.html#ixzz2EoiTC6vD Personaly I dont have a problem with it, but couldnt he wear the Bearskin over his turban!!
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Cyprus News,Weather & Travel


Hide These Ads? Register for Free or Login

 
Post: #2   PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:57 am Reply with quote
Bigade
Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 2219
Pictures: 4
Location: Paralimni

 
good on him, at least he has some pride, which is more than be said for many others.
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail ICQ Number Cyprus News,Weather & Travel
 
Post: #3   PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:58 am Reply with quote
spurs
Membership Closed
Joined: 24 Jan 2009
Posts: 6763
Pictures: 0

 
Bigade wrote:
good on him, at least he has some pride, which is more than be said for many others.
Agree 100%
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Cyprus News,Weather & Travel
 
Post: #4   PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:26 am Reply with quote
Mr Tibbs
Joined: 14 Apr 2011
Posts: 11070
Pictures: 0
Location: ROC

 
Bigade wrote:
good on him, at least he has some pride, which is more than be said for many others.


I don't think lack of pride is a problem amongst Sikhs. Wink

This story was an aside to some of the last census results, which were released yesterday. They make pretty alarming reading I think. However, that doesn't really belong in this thread.

Good luck to him.
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel
 
Post: #5   PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:10 am Reply with quote
bromerzz
Joined: 30 Aug 2005
Posts: 4038
Pictures: 0
Location: Deryneia

 
I do not approve.
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel
 
Post: #6   PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:27 pm Reply with quote
geof j
Joined: 29 Aug 2006
Posts: 2286
Pictures: 2
Location: Protaras

 
Mr.Tibbs, i think you will find that this story was not an "aside" but was run over two weeks ago as news leaked that a Sikh was to guard without wearing a bearskin. his duties shown today merely coincided with the census news.
But i, for one, still cannot understand why he could not put the bearskin on top of his turban.!
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel
 
Post: #7   PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:29 pm Reply with quote
spanner
Joined: 07 Aug 2008
Posts: 5975
Pictures: 0

 
I am not happy with this story, it makes me Sikh!

_________________
"In the works"
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Cyprus News,Weather & Travel
 
Post: #8   PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:42 pm Reply with quote
Byker
Membership Closed
Joined: 29 Aug 2005
Posts: 4275
Pictures: 4

 
While I greatly admire both the Sikh religion and their service to Britain, the purpose of a uniform is to promote unity, by allowing this man both a beard and turban the Army is failing in it's duty to itself and traditions, it would be far better to create and have a Sikh battalion, similar to the Gurkas, and have them guard the palace in rotation.
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Cyprus News,Weather & Travel


Hide These Ads? Register for Free or Login

 
Post: #9   PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:06 am Reply with quote
spurs
Membership Closed
Joined: 24 Jan 2009
Posts: 6763
Pictures: 0

 
I understand what some are saying about the Bearskin, but if you look at that Sikh ...with his chest pumped out, and proud, just think of what a positive image that gives out not only to the Sikh youths, but to other minorities, who might think that the Guards are some sort of private club.
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Cyprus News,Weather & Travel
 
Post: #10   PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:06 am Reply with quote
scottie
Joined: 01 Feb 2012
Posts: 7695
Pictures: 0
Location: kapparis

 
This does nothing toward the aim of integration. There has to be give and take on both sides for it to work. If the job entails a certain style of dress and one is keen to do said job then the uniform is part of it. The bearskin is traditional and expected when on guard duty and a way for this young man being able to wear it should have been found. How on earth can you strive to make all men equal when you bend the rules only one way and make some "different". It defeats the whole object and in my view is a retrograde step.
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Cyprus News,Weather & Travel
 
Post: #11   PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:27 am Reply with quote
Woodrow Why?at
Joined: 04 Oct 2008
Posts: 6630
Pictures: 0
Location: Ayia Thekla

 
geof j wrote:
Mr.Tibbs, i think you will find that this story was not an "aside" but was run over two weeks ago as news leaked that a Sikh was to guard without wearing a bearskin. his duties shown today merely coincided with the census news.
But i, for one, still cannot understand why he could not put the bearskin on top of his turban.!


Laughing Geof, that reminds me of the 'Fools and horses' episode where Del Boy tried to encourage Sikhs to wear a crash helmet under their turban!! Laughing

_________________
Don't blame me, I voted 'Remain'!
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel
 
Post: #12   PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:34 am Reply with quote
Bigade
Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 2219
Pictures: 4
Location: Paralimni

 
Have any of you actually ever tried a bearskin on ....... there is hardly room for your head, let alone a turban wrapped it. It is a good fit.
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail ICQ Number Cyprus News,Weather & Travel
 
Post: #13   PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:38 pm Reply with quote
TITCH
Joined: 08 Oct 2005
Posts: 270
Pictures: 0
Location: PARALIMNI

 
The reason for the uniform is that every one dresses the same.

Phil.
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number Cyprus News,Weather & Travel
 
Post: #14   PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:10 pm Reply with quote
spanner
Joined: 07 Aug 2008
Posts: 5975
Pictures: 0

 
The next think you know and there will be a female Muslim wearing a Hijab standing outside Buck House.

_________________
"In the works"
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Cyprus News,Weather & Travel
 
Post: #15   PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:23 pm Reply with quote
LynSab
Joined: 16 Apr 2007
Posts: 4739
Pictures: 1
Location: Vrysoulles, Cyprus/Wales UK

 
He never refused to wear the bearskin ( which I find ridiculous) he was given the opportunity to wear his turban because of his beliefs, why would he refuse? Sikhs fought bravely in WW1 and WW2 no one cared about their turbans then.

This soldier has chosen to defend our country and our Queen, I think we should put predudice behind us (mostly as middle England)and realise that bravery is more important. I would also ignore the DM saying insiders from the regiment have questioned it, unless they name names I don't believe it. Young soldiers nowadays go thru British schools with multi religions and multi ethnicity they are used to lots of different nationalities. It's the older generation who can't accept any change.

The UK has its fair share of racism, hatred and intolerance which is ugly and ignorant, but on the much bigger plus side we are extremely tolerant don't discriminate against ethnic groups applying for jobs etc and accept that populations have to diversify in order to grow. Racism in a country that treats another nationality as below them, can never move on. There are examples out there.

As you can guess I think this guy looks great, good on him.
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Cyprus News,Weather & Travel



Join Us Today! Register for Free or Login

 
Post: #16   PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:35 pm Reply with quote
spurs
Membership Closed
Joined: 24 Jan 2009
Posts: 6763
Pictures: 0

 
LynSab wrote:
He never refused to wear the bearskin ( which I find ridiculous) he was given the opportunity to wear his turban because of his beliefs, why would he refuse? Sikhs fought bravely in WW1 and WW2 no one cared about their turbans then.

This soldier has chosen to defend our country and our Queen, I think we should put predudice behind us (mostly as middle England)and realise that bravery is more important. I would also ignore the DM saying insiders from the regiment have questioned it, unless they name names I don't believe it. Young soldiers nowadays go thru British schools with multi religions and multi ethnicity they are used to lots of different nationalities. It's the older generation who can't accept any change.

The UK has its fair share of racism, hatred and intolerance which is ugly and ignorant, but on the much bigger plus side we are extremely tolerant don't discriminate against ethnic groups applying for jobs etc and accept that populations have to diversify in order to grow. Racism in a country that treats another nationality as below them, can never move on. There are examples out there.

As you can guess I think this guy looks great, good on him.
Agree 100% Lyn, the only thing, I would pick you up on is ...He has chosen to defend his country......
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Cyprus News,Weather & Travel
 
Post: #17   PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:16 pm Reply with quote
LynSab
Joined: 16 Apr 2007
Posts: 4739
Pictures: 1
Location: Vrysoulles, Cyprus/Wales UK

 
spurs wrote:
LynSab wrote:
He never refused to wear the bearskin ( which I find ridiculous) he was given the opportunity to wear his turban because of his beliefs, why would he refuse? Sikhs fought bravely in WW1 and WW2 no one cared about their turbans then.

This soldier has chosen to defend our country and our Queen, I think we should put predudice behind us (mostly as middle England)and realise that bravery is more important. I would also ignore the DM saying insiders from the regiment have questioned it, unless they name names I don't believe it. Young soldiers nowadays go thru British schools with multi religions and multi ethnicity they are used to lots of different nationalities. It's the older generation who can't accept any change.

The UK has its fair share of racism, hatred and intolerance which is ugly and ignorant, but on the much bigger plus side we are extremely tolerant don't discriminate against ethnic groups applying for jobs etc and accept that populations have to diversify in order to grow. Racism in a country that treats another nationality as below them, can never move on. There are examples out there.

As you can guess I think this guy looks great, good on him.
Agree 100% Lyn, the only thing, I would pick you up on is ...He has chosen to defend his country......


Yes spurs sorry that's absolutely right, my mistake Embarassed
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Cyprus News,Weather & Travel
 
Post: #18   PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:25 am Reply with quote
2diffs
Joined: 19 Feb 2009
Posts: 2337
Pictures: 0
Location: Dheryneia

 
Take a look at this clip, the Indian and Pakistani military have taken their British drill training to a different level. Try doing these moves in a Bearskin!

http://youtu.be/9dAMfjJugSA
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel
 
Post: #19   PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:43 pm Reply with quote
journeyman
Joined: 30 Aug 2005
Posts: 1396
Pictures: 36
Location: Dorset

 
Quote:
While I greatly admire both the Sikh religion and their service to Britain, the purpose of a uniform is to promote unity, by allowing this man both a beard and turban the Army is failing in it's duty to itself and traditions, it would be far better to create and have a Sikh battalion, similar to the Gurkas, and have them guard the palace in rotation.


Agree 100% Byker
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Cyprus News,Weather & Travel
 
Post: #20   PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:22 pm Reply with quote
scottie
Joined: 01 Feb 2012
Posts: 7695
Pictures: 0
Location: kapparis

 
journeyman wrote:
Quote:
While I greatly admire both the Sikh religion and their service to Britain, the purpose of a uniform is to promote unity, by allowing this man both a beard and turban the Army is failing in it's duty to itself and traditions, it would be far better to create and have a Sikh battalion, similar to the Gurkas, and have them guard the palace in rotation.


Agree 100% Byker



IF it has to be changed at all this is by far the best idea.
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Cyprus News,Weather & Travel
Sikh guard 
  Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » Coffee Shop Chat
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
  


All times are GMT  
Page 1 of 2  
Goto page 1, 2  Next


  
  
 Post new topic  Reply to topic   
Search Tags: #guard



 Facebook Page    Facebook Group    Our Channel    Cyprus eBay Search    Shopping To Cyprus    Contact Admin   SmartFeed RSS Feed



BUYING PROPERTY IN CYPRUS? PLEASE ENSURE THAT YOU SEEK INDEPENDENT LEGAL ADVICE FIRST.
Cyprus forum covering Kapparis, Protaras, Pernera, Agia Napa, Agia Thekla, Paralimni, Larnaca, Oroklini, Pervolia & surrounding areas
Please note that the views expressed on this forum are those of the author and may not reflect the views of the management.
* Problems Logging In? Click To Contact Us | Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group Design Style: VTrushkin | View Lo-Fi Version