Not A Member Yet? See All The Features Of The Forum By Clicking Here To Register For FREE! Or Members Login Below:

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Cyprus Eastern Forum Index
Offering Free Help, Advice, Tips & Support for those buying or living in:
Paralimni - Protaras - Pernera - Kapparis - Agia Napa - Larnaca - Oroklini - Pervolia - Kiti - Xylofagou
Vrysoulles - Frenaros - Dherynia - Sotira - Agia Thekla - Liopetri - Ormidia & surrounding areas...

Main Homepage Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Register Directory Memberlist Search

Ads By Forum Sponsors  

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » Coffee Shop Chat » Sikh guard Goto page 1, 2  Next
Sikh guard 
Post: #1   PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:44 am Reply with quote
spurs
Membership Closed
Pictures: 0

Sikh soldier makes history as he guards Buckingham Palace wearing turban instead of traditional bearskin

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2246410/Sikh-soldier-makes-history-guards-Buckingham-Palace-wearing-turban-instead-traditional-bearskin.html#ixzz2EoiTC6vD Personaly I dont have a problem with it, but couldnt he wear the Bearskin over his turban!!
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Hide These Ads? Register for Free or Login

Post: #2   PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:57 am Reply with quote
Bigade
Pictures: 4

good on him, at least he has some pride, which is more than be said for many others.
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail ICQ Number Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Post: #3   PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:58 am Reply with quote
spurs
Membership Closed

Bigade wrote:
good on him, at least he has some pride, which is more than be said for many others.
Agree 100%

Post: #4   PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:26 am Reply with quote
Mr Tibbs

Bigade wrote:

I don't think lack of pride is a problem amongst Sikhs. Wink

This story was an aside to some of the last census results, which were released yesterday. They make pretty alarming reading I think. However, that doesn't really belong in this thread.

Good luck to him.
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Post: #5   PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:10 am Reply with quote
bromerzz

I do not approve.
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Post: #6   PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:27 pm Reply with quote
geof j
Pictures: 2

Mr.Tibbs, i think you will find that this story was not an "aside" but was run over two weeks ago as news leaked that a Sikh was to guard without wearing a bearskin. his duties shown today merely coincided with the census news.
But i, for one, still cannot understand why he could not put the bearskin on top of his turban.!

Post: #7   PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:29 pm Reply with quote
spanner

I am not happy with this story, it makes me Sikh!

Post: #8   PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:42 pm Reply with quote
Byker
Membership Closed

While I greatly admire both the Sikh religion and their service to Britain, the purpose of a uniform is to promote unity, by allowing this man both a beard and turban the Army is failing in it's duty to itself and traditions, it would be far better to create and have a Sikh battalion, similar to the Gurkas, and have them guard the palace in rotation.

Hide These Ads? Register for Free or Login

Post: #9   PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:06 am Reply with quote
spurs
Membership Closed

I understand what some are saying about the Bearskin, but if you look at that Sikh ...with his chest pumped out, and proud, just think of what a positive image that gives out not only to the Sikh youths, but to other minorities, who might think that the Guards are some sort of private club.

Post: #10   PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:06 am Reply with quote
scottie

This does nothing toward the aim of integration. There has to be give and take on both sides for it to work. If the job entails a certain style of dress and one is keen to do said job then the uniform is part of it. The bearskin is traditional and expected when on guard duty and a way for this young man being able to wear it should have been found. How on earth can you strive to make all men equal when you bend the rules only one way and make some "different". It defeats the whole object and in my view is a retrograde step.

Post: #11   PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:27 am Reply with quote
Woodrow Why?at

geof j wrote:
Mr.Tibbs, i think you will find that this story was not an "aside" but was run over two weeks ago as news leaked that a Sikh was to guard without wearing a bearskin. his duties shown today merely coincided with the census news.
But i, for one, still cannot understand why he could not put the bearskin on top of his turban.!

Laughing Geof, that reminds me of the 'Fools and horses' episode where Del Boy tried to encourage Sikhs to wear a crash helmet under their turban!! Laughing

Post: #12   PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:34 am Reply with quote
Bigade

Have any of you actually ever tried a bearskin on ....... there is hardly room for your head, let alone a turban wrapped it. It is a good fit.
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail ICQ Number Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Post: #13   PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:38 pm Reply with quote
TITCH

The reason for the uniform is that every one dresses the same.

Phil.
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Post: #14   PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:10 pm Reply with quote
spanner

The next think you know and there will be a female Muslim wearing a Hijab standing outside Buck House.

Post: #15   PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:23 pm Reply with quote
LynSab
Pictures: 1

He never refused to wear the bearskin ( which I find ridiculous) he was given the opportunity to wear his turban because of his beliefs, why would he refuse? Sikhs fought bravely in WW1 and WW2 no one cared about their turbans then.

This soldier has chosen to defend our country and our Queen, I think we should put predudice behind us (mostly as middle England)and realise that bravery is more important. I would also ignore the DM saying insiders from the regiment have questioned it, unless they name names I don't believe it. Young soldiers nowadays go thru British schools with multi religions and multi ethnicity they are used to lots of different nationalities. It's the older generation who can't accept any change.

The UK has its fair share of racism, hatred and intolerance which is ugly and ignorant, but on the much bigger plus side we are extremely tolerant don't discriminate against ethnic groups applying for jobs etc and accept that populations have to diversify in order to grow. Racism in a country that treats another nationality as below them, can never move on. There are examples out there.

As you can guess I think this guy looks great, good on him.

Join Us Today! Register for Free or Login

Post: #16   PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:35 pm Reply with quote
spurs
Membership Closed

LynSab wrote:
He never refused to wear the bearskin ( which I find ridiculous) he was given the opportunity to wear his turban because of his beliefs, why would he refuse? Sikhs fought bravely in WW1 and WW2 no one cared about their turbans then.

This soldier has chosen to defend our country and our Queen, I think we should put predudice behind us (mostly as middle England)and realise that bravery is more important. I would also ignore the DM saying insiders from the regiment have questioned it, unless they name names I don't believe it. Young soldiers nowadays go thru British schools with multi religions and multi ethnicity they are used to lots of different nationalities. It's the older generation who can't accept any change.

The UK has its fair share of racism, hatred and intolerance which is ugly and ignorant, but on the much bigger plus side we are extremely tolerant don't discriminate against ethnic groups applying for jobs etc and accept that populations have to diversify in order to grow. Racism in a country that treats another nationality as below them, can never move on. There are examples out there.

Agree 100% Lyn, the only thing, I would pick you up on is ...He has chosen to defend his country......

Post: #17   PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:16 pm Reply with quote
LynSab
Pictures: 1

spurs wrote:
LynSab wrote:

Agree 100% Lyn, the only thing, I would pick you up on is ...He has chosen to defend his country......

Yes spurs sorry that's absolutely right, my mistake Embarassed

Post: #18   PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:25 am Reply with quote
2diffs

Take a look at this clip, the Indian and Pakistani military have taken their British drill training to a different level. Try doing these moves in a Bearskin!

http://youtu.be/9dAMfjJugSA

Post: #19   PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:43 pm Reply with quote
journeyman
Pictures: 36

Quote:
While I greatly admire both the Sikh religion and their service to Britain, the purpose of a uniform is to promote unity, by allowing this man both a beard and turban the Army is failing in it's duty to itself and traditions, it would be far better to create and have a Sikh battalion, similar to the Gurkas, and have them guard the palace in rotation.

Agree 100% Byker

Post: #20   PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:22 pm Reply with quote
scottie

journeyman wrote:
Quote:

Agree 100% Byker

IF it has to be changed at all this is by far the best idea.
Sikh guard 
  Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » Coffee Shop Chat