Not A Member Yet? See All The Features Of The Forum By Clicking Here To Register For FREE! Or Members Login Below:

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Cyprus Eastern Forum Index
Offering Free Help, Advice, Tips & Support for those buying or living in:
Paralimni - Protaras - Pernera - Kapparis - Agia Napa - Larnaca - Oroklini - Pervolia - Kiti - Xylofagou
Vrysoulles - Frenaros - Dherynia - Sotira - Agia Thekla - Liopetri - Ormidia & surrounding areas...

Main Homepage Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Register Directory Memberlist Search

Ads By Forum Sponsors  

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » Coffee Shop Chat » Sikh guard Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post: #21   PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 4:49 am Reply with quote
Byker
Membership Closed
Pictures: 4

2diffs wrote:
Take a look at this clip, the Indian and Pakistani military have taken their British drill training to a different level. Try doing these moves in a Bearskin!

http://youtu.be/9dAMfjJugSA

I was waiting for the Monty Python team to pop up in the middle of that! Laughing
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Hide These Ads? Register for Free or Login

Post: #22   PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:44 am Reply with quote
Milschoice04
Pictures: 0

Byker wrote:
2diffs wrote:
Take a look at this clip, the Indian and Pakistani military have taken their British drill training to a different level. Try doing these moves in a Bearskin!

http://youtu.be/9dAMfjJugSA

I was waiting for the Monty Python team to pop up in the middle of that! Laughing

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Post: #23   PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:07 am Reply with quote
spurs
Membership Closed

About the only good thing the British Raj left India and Pakistan. Laughing

Post: #24   PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:13 pm Reply with quote
johnrose
Membership Suspended

Nothing new about wearing a turban in the Army
We had a sergeant in the REME in 1982 wearing a dark blue one
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail MSN Messenger Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Post: #25   PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:51 pm Reply with quote
scottie

johnrose wrote:

Dont think this has as much to do with the wearing or not wearing of a turban in the army, nor has it anything to do with racism. It has to do with the spectacle of the changing of the Guard at Buckingham Palace and the image which springs to everyones mind when they hear it mentioned. It is a job which carries a uniform and uniform means just that....all the same. I may be wrong on this one but I believe the Scots Guards are doing the honours at the moment and no one is wearing a Tam 'O Shanter they are all wearing the uniform required for the job except one .

Post: #26   PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 4:09 pm Reply with quote
johnrose
Membership Suspended

scottie wrote:
johnrose wrote:

Dont think this has as much to do with the wearing or not wearing of a turban in the army, nor has it anything to do with racism. It has to do with the spectacle of the changing of the Guard at Buckingham Palace and the image which springs to everyones mind when they hear it mentioned. It is a job which carries a uniform and uniform means just that....all the same. I may be wrong on this one but I believe the Scots Guards are doing the honours at the moment and no one is wearing a Tam 'O Shanter they are all wearing the uniform required for the job except one .

I wore a beret and he wore a turban that was the uniform required
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail MSN Messenger Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Post: #27   PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 9:19 pm Reply with quote
scottie

johnrose wrote:
scottie wrote:
johnrose wrote:

I wore a beret and he wore a turban that was the uniform required

And if you had been on changing of the guard duty you would have worn ???? That is the point if you dont want to wear the uniform required for a certain job you have to forego the honour of doing it . The changing of the guard is a tradition which requires a certain uniform. Goodness knows what will happen in the Tower of London lets do away with that tradition as well ....why not. . I am not particularly nationalistic and as a Scot I should not be concerned at all about what happens in London however I feel that one of the few things we have not been stripped of are our traditions so leave them as they are head wear included . Byker came up with a good idea that perhaps could be incorporated in some sort of rotatation but otherwise it does not work in my humble opinion Smile

Post: #28   PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:04 am Reply with quote
badger
Pictures: 25

Due to the worlds finical situation, as well as ours we have had to put on hold our dream of living in Cyprus. I am beginning to think someone is giving us time to think it through again when i look at the time some have been forum members. Living on a beautiful island, all that sunshine, all those things to see and do, all those interesting places to go. And all you can do is argue whether TO WEAR A F***ING BEARSKIN ON THEIR HEADS OR NOT. Will the wearing of FAKE bearskin alter the way he carries out his duties?. Get off yer computers and enjoy Cyprus
Love and kisses
Badger
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Hide These Ads? Register for Free or Login

Post: #29   PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:01 am Reply with quote
Byker
Membership Closed

badger wrote:
Due to the worlds finical situation, as well as ours we have had to put on hold our dream of living in Cyprus. I am beginning to think someone is giving us time to think it through again when i look at the time some have been forum members. Living on a beautiful island, all that sunshine, all those things to see and do, all those interesting places to go. And all you can do is argue whether TO WEAR A F***ING BEARSKIN ON THEIR HEADS OR NOT. Will the wearing of FAKE bearskin alter the way he carries out his duties?. Get off yer computers and enjoy Cyprus
Love and kisses
Badger

Badger, think it through again, Cyprus isn't heaven (or hell), after all after the "fun" of moving, setting yourself up and finding your way around life settles down to a routine' different to the UK but basically a case of same s**t but better weather... Wink

Post: #30   PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:04 am Reply with quote
scottie

[quote="Byke[/quote]
Badger, think it through again, Cyprus isn't heaven (or hell), after all after the "fun" of moving, setting yourself up and finding your way around life settles down to a routine' different to the UK but basically a case of same s**t but better weather... Wink[/quote]

My God is that not the truth ??? Laughing

Post: #31   PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:40 pm Reply with quote
Kwacka
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Pictures: 3

To uphold traditions, shouldn't they be armed with smooth-bore rifles and carrying greanades with fuses?

Post: #32   PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:44 pm Reply with quote
spurs
Membership Closed

Kwacka wrote:
To uphold traditions, shouldn't they be armed with smooth-bore rifles and carrying greanades with fuses?
Nice one Kwacka Laughing I was thinking the same..... should some still not be wearing Armour and carrying shields .

Post: #33   PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:10 pm Reply with quote
scottie

spurs wrote:
Kwacka wrote:
Nice one Kwacka Laughing I was thinking the same..... should some still not be wearing Armour and carrying shields .

Forgot how long you guys memories were ypu want it the way you remember it and why not . Surprised at you Kwacka tradition is part of our culture there is more to it that support of a football team as with some. There you go you learn something every day. Laughing Laughing Laughing

Post: #34   PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:20 pm Reply with quote
Larryand Sue

Kwacka wrote:

Can you get smooth-bore rifles?

Post: #35   PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:34 pm Reply with quote
Byker
Membership Closed

If you want to be stupid about it put them in dinosaur skin jock-straps and let them carry slingshots and a few pebbles... Rolling Eyes

Join Us Today! Register for Free or Login

Post: #36   PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:04 pm Reply with quote
bromerzz

It should be Bearskins or sod off and join another Regiment.

Post: #37   PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:28 pm Reply with quote
Kwacka
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Pictures: 3

Larryand Sue wrote:
Kwacka wrote:

Can you get smooth-bore rifles?

Nope, its an oxymoron.

I should have written 'smooth-bore muskets' of course.

My apologies, I'd just crawled out of the pit.

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » Coffee Shop Chat