Not A Member Yet? See All The Features Of The Forum By Clicking Here To Register For FREE! Or Members Login Below:

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Cyprus Eastern Forum Index
Offering Free Help, Advice, Tips & Support for those buying or living in:
Paralimni - Protaras - Pernera - Kapparis - Agia Napa - Larnaca - Oroklini - Pervolia - Kiti - Xylofagou
Vrysoulles - Frenaros - Dherynia - Sotira - Agia Thekla - Liopetri - Ormidia & surrounding areas...

Main Homepage Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Register Directory Memberlist Search

Ads By Forum Sponsors

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » Coffee Shop Chat » back in england Goto page 1, 2  Next
back in england 
Post: #1   PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:32 pm Reply with quote
livison27
Pictures: 0

so glad to have moved back to england, as much as i will miss cyprus and all the lovely things there, im enjoying the cold!
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Hide These Ads? Register for Free or Login

Re: back in england 
Post: #2   PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:37 pm Reply with quote
Mr Tibbs

livison27 wrote:
so glad to have moved back to england, as much as i will miss cyprus and all the lovely things there, im enjoying the cold!

Liv - are you writing this from a submarine - or perhaps perched on your rooftop waiting to be rescued by helicopter? Laughing

Anyway - enjoy the cold? You got it!

Links only visible to Registered Members
Register for Free or Login to the forum.

Post: #3   PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:44 pm Reply with quote
mjs

that's great....... post this again in March... haha
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Post: #4   PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 4:54 pm Reply with quote
mac69

livison27 .....time to update your location me thinks. Laughing

How long did you live in Cyprus ?

Post: #5   PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 5:01 pm Reply with quote
JonandGaynor

Jeeez, whatever substance your on it must be illegal!
The UK has had one of the coldest wettest summers on record, the past week as seen severe flooding in most areas, deaths and injury caused by the water and gale force winds. The winter is promising prolonged snow and ice. A miserable country filled with miserable people, give us the warmth and hospitality of Cyprus any day and with construction starting on our house that day isn't too far off. Very Happy

Post: #6   PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 5:43 pm Reply with quote
mike4u

Can someone explain this paradox please ? Here in Cy i've met brits that they are very civilized,mostly the older ones ( and they try to teach others some good manners but to no avail,oh well) . And still,THEY say that UK is bad,with awfull people in there. I really don't get it. All the brits left Uk and now there are 'other"kind of people ? Is it cause of the weather here you are good and there you are so bad? I am the same person either sun or cloudly,rain,snow,mist,hot.

Post: #7   PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 6:44 pm Reply with quote
journeyman
Pictures: 36

Jonandgaynor

Quote:
miserable country filled with miserable people.

You speak for yourselves, some of us quite like the cold, I also like my holidays and dont have too much problem with the sun. Laughing Laughing Cool
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Post: #8   PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:59 pm Reply with quote
LynSab
Pictures: 1

Don't be ridiculous, how can people be miserable in the UK when we can buy tins of Cadburys Roses for 3.99 Very Happy Laughing Laughing are you mad?

Lyn, expat from Cyprus, loved it, back in UK loving it, I'm not miserable, I'm having a ball seriously Very Happy Very Happy

I think you have to be careful that the misery isn't inside you, because being in Cyprus won't take away real troubles for ever, niether will the UK, being happy with life and oneself it don't matter where on earth you live.

Hide These Ads? Register for Free or Login

Post: #9   PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:37 pm Reply with quote
lynnandpete

JonandGaynor wrote:
Jeeez, whatever substance your on it must be illegal!
The UK has had one of the coldest wettest summers on record, the past week as seen severe flooding in most areas, deaths and injury caused by the water and gale force winds. The winter is promising prolonged snow and ice. A miserable country filled with miserable people, give us the warmth and hospitality of Cyprus any day and with construction starting on our house that day isn't too far off. Very Happy

Charming Evil or Very Mad

Post: #10   PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 3:16 am Reply with quote
Byker
Membership Closed
Pictures: 4

JonandGaynor wrote:
...A miserable country filled with miserable people, give us the warmth and hospitality of Cyprus any day and with construction starting on our house that day isn't too far off. Very Happy

Hilarious...

The "hospitality" isn't as sincere as it seems and "that day", along with the completion day, is probably going to slide away from you at an alarming rate, the quality of the build will certainly dent your dreams as will all the little extra costs, and most guarantees end when your cheque clears...But Hey-Ho the weathers warmer (it may not seem that way in January with drafts coming through the doors though Wink ) and the beers a bit cheaper, it's going to be great living in paradise. Rolling Eyes

Post: #11   PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 5:03 am Reply with quote
rockjock

If people want to move back to "Big Brother" land thats fine by me. If you don't mind inclement the weather that's fine too but, remember, nowhere is perfect. The UK has just as many problems as Cyprus. I know of five couples who moved back and returned to Cyprus within 15 months. I'm certain others can tell the same tale.

I wonder who you are really trying to convince here, yourselves maybe. So leave us who have made a success of living here and, enjoy living here alone.

As it says on the box. This site is for those living or intending to live here, not those who gave up.

RJ

Post: #12   PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:42 am Reply with quote
LynSab

rockjock wrote:
If people want to move back to "Big Brother" land thats fine by me. If you don't mind inclement the weather that's fine too but, remember, nowhere is perfect. The UK has just as many problems as Cyprus. I know of five couples who moved back and returned to Cyprus within 15 months. I'm certain others can tell the same tale.

I wonder who you are really trying to convince here, yourselves maybe. So leave us who have made a success of living here and, enjoy living here alone.

As it says on the box. This site is for those living or intending to live here, not those who gave up.

RJ

It's not giving up, not after the commitment we made and are still making as we have tenants in our Cyprus property as of course its unsaleable and will be no doubt for some time, plus it's value in the economic downturn is much much less than what we paid for it years ago ( this one is our second property in Cyprus as we owned another before this one) and is continuing to lose value, I've just sold my mums house in the UK and she got just 5k less than the asking price, which was double what she paid ten years ago, and she sold it in four months! I don't see the similarities to the Cyprus property market at all.

It's about choice, I also know of couples who would like to move back but cannot as they cannot sell. I also know of couples who would never leave, one such couple are coming to stay with us in January, they survive Cyprus as they spend approx four months in the UK as well, two of those months when the extreme heat is to hard to live in and costs too much to keep cool.

This site is to help and give advice to those who wish to live or holiday in Cyprus I have experience of that, sometimes people dont want to hear the downsides, I don't live in a dream world either, and tell it like it is Rolling Eyes It's precisely because other members on here told tha actual truth about real life in Cyprus that many who came to live there didn't do so in the blinkered belief that all would be perfect, and some were saved much heartache as far as buying property was concerned. I know at least of one couple who never bought because of us, pulled out of a dodgy deal and lost only 2k, they still came to live in Cyprus. They kept their money in the bank before buying again in the UK and renting it out as extra income and future investment, and rent a lovely place in Cyprus with a good landlord ( that is something important as well) and have NO worries. We are glad we helped just one couple because we knew the score. We also wished we had done the same, enabling a clean break when the time came.

At the same time we realised Cyprus wasn't for us and eventually found a way to return to the UK, we now realise also that the UK is the far better place for us.

I'm not having a go at any who make it their home, we did for years, but why those who return to the UK need knocking down is beyond belief. None of these decisions are made lightly. Statistics show clearly that 75% of immigrants eventually return to their homelands.

If I see expats who return to the UK being knocked on this forum I'm afraid I will retaliate with the reasons why many find Cyprus is not for them. People can then make up their own minds, no one on a forum influenced our decision to move over or move back, we are big enough and wise enough to do that ourselves. For us at this time in our lives, moving back was the best decision we made, the only drawback is selling the house, god knows when if ever that will happen, that is distressing, I urge others to think long and hard before BUYING for so many reasons. Rent rent rent.....

Post: #13   PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:58 am Reply with quote
sj

Good to hear from you LynSab - Glad all is going well for you in the UK Very Happy

Post: #14   PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:42 am Reply with quote
LynSab

sj wrote:
Good to hear from you LynSab - Glad all is going well for you in the UK Very Happy

Thank you Very Happy

It's cold here in Mid Wales but you compensate for that, in just the same way you do in the extreme heat in Cyprus, we just came to a time when the weather wasn't a priority anymore, other stuff was.

My two rescue Cyprus cats have grown thick fur coats Rolling Eyes They eat much much more Rolling Eyes Obviously to build up fat layers for warmth, and slowly are getting used to living on a farm. It's hilarious to watch, no more lizards for them, just pheasants running thru the garden and sheep and beef cattle in the fields, they are very confused.

I have though bought my flowered wellies, very handy here, and Primark sell suede boots for a fiver so have a few of them, my flip flops are redundant at the back of the wardrobe. I do though have a screensaver of our Cyprus house on the computer so I see it most days and miss it Sad

Post: #15   PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:59 am Reply with quote
journeyman
Pictures: 36

Rockjock

Quote:

And they say living in the UK makes you miserable Confused Wonder why you like living alone Wink

Join Us Today! Register for Free or Login

Post: #16   PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:16 am Reply with quote
scottie

journeyman wrote:
Rockjock

Quote:

And they say living in the UK makes you miserable Confused Wonder why you like living alone Wink

I started a thread here months ago asking if it was really possible for ex pats to live in Cyprus FOREVER I thought not ,one of the reasons being that there are no social services or backups if one becomes ill or infirm. I still believe that many many of us will return to the UK and part of the reason is pure bliidy boredom. I feel that if one chooses to leave and still keep in touch with old friends on the forum that is a good thing. As for where they or we live that does not come into it,after all we have contributors from the other side of the great divide and that is ok too. Each to his own,lve and let live.The honeymoon period can be a long one when you come to live here depending on how young you are when you make the move but when the harsh realities of illness or age hit sometimes there is no place like home for many reasons the above mentioned included Smile

Last edited by scottie on Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:46 am; edited 1 time in total

Post: #17   PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:31 am Reply with quote
roods

We had a lovely home in Cyprus, no problems with builders, lots of lovely friends. BUT we've sold up and been back in the UK for 5 months. We have a lovely home in a lovely part of rural England and we love it. One of the reasons is we can see our parents and children and siblings any time we want. We lived in Cyprus for many years and have no real issues at all. We both feel we are better off in the UK. I agree with everything Lynn and Scottie say.

Post: #18   PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:53 am Reply with quote
spurs
Membership Closed

People go back for many reasons....bad health/missing family/ people being scammed etc etc we should wish them well as many would like to stay if they had the choice some try it for a few years the novelty wears off and they go back.......then you get the not so bright ones who come to cyprus with teenage children who don't take into account schooling/ finding work/ different culture etc etc then leave blaming Cyprus/Cypriots and any one else instead off blaming themselves........ there's no reason for people on here having a go at each other everybody's circumstances are different and unique.

Post: #19   PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:37 am Reply with quote
scottie

spurs wrote:
People go back for many reasons....bad health/missing family/ people being scammed etc etc we should wish them well as many would like to stay if they had the choice some try it for a few years the novelty wears off and they go back.......then you get the not so bright ones who come to cyprus with teenage children who don't take into account schooling/ finding work/ different culture etc etc then leave blaming Cyprus/Cypriots and any one else instead off blaming themselves........ there's no reason for people on here having a go at each other everybody's circumstances are different and unique.

In a nutshell Smile

Post: #20   PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:05 pm Reply with quote
mouse

spurs wrote:

Good post spurs!!.

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » Coffee Shop Chat