Not A Member Yet? See All The Features Of The Forum By Clicking Here To Register For FREE! Or Members Login Below:

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Cyprus Eastern Forum Index
Offering Free Help, Advice, Tips & Support for those buying or living in:
Paralimni - Protaras - Pernera - Kapparis - Agia Napa - Larnaca - Oroklini - Pervolia - Kiti - Xylofagou
Vrysoulles - Frenaros - Dherynia - Sotira - Agia Thekla - Liopetri - Ormidia & surrounding areas...

Main Homepage Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Register Directory Memberlist Search

Ads By Forum Sponsors

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » Cypriot Recipes & Music » Koupes recipe Goto page 1, 2  Next
Koupes recipe 
Post: #1   PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:36 pm Reply with quote
MrsBouvier
Pictures: 28

I was wondering if anyone has a "fool proof" tried and tested method for making Koupes (pronounced Core-ess) they are readily available in most bakeries and look like this (for those that are not familiar):

I would like to give it a go myself at home but am a little worried they may be more complicated than I think due to trying to shape them and fear of cracking etc...

Any advice???

Hide These Ads? Register for Free or Login

Post: #2   PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:22 pm Reply with quote
Bobbeer
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Pictures: 8

You could try this:

Ingredients
•For the dough:
•500 grams (3 glasses) very finely ground bulgur wheat In Cyprus you can find two kinds of bulgur wheat. One is for pilaf and the other one which is much thinner is only for koupes.
•˝ glass of all purpose flour
•3 tablespoons of olive oil
•3 glass of hot water
•1 teaspoonful of salt
•1 egg (optional)
•For the filling:
•300 gr. ground meat (beef or pork or both mixed)
•˝ cup of olive oil
•2 onions, coarsely chopped
•˝ bunch of finely chopped parsley
•Salt and pepper to taste
•Cinnamon
•Olive oil for frying
•1 bowl with water to wet hands in

Directions
1.For the dough:
2.Mix the bulgur wheat with the oil and salt, then add hot water and leave it to soak for an hour. When it has cooled, add egg, mix and knead to make a rather stiff dough. If you omit the egg add more water.
3.Prepare the Filling:
4.Heat oil in a skillet and sauté the ground meat. Add the onions, parsley, salt, pepper and cinnamon. Add ˝ cup of water and stir until all the water has been absorbed. Remove from heat and allow to cool down.
5.Wet your hands and take a small amount of dough the size of a walnut and form into an elongated ball. In one hand hold the ball and with your other hand using your index finger make a hollow in the dough, trying the make it as thin as you can without breaking it. Place a teaspoonful of filling, wet your fingers and try and seal the opening. If dough is not enough pinch a small amount of dough and wetting your fingers try and paste it together making a pointed ends.
6.Fry in plenty oh hot oil. Let them get brown on the one side and then turn them carefully. When nice and brown on both sides take out and place on kitchen paper to absorb excess oil or let them drain on a wire basket or drainer. Serve hot squeezing a few drops of lemon juice.

Post: #3   PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:29 pm Reply with quote
MrsBouvier

Thanks Bob...is this a tried and tested recipe...any tips or advice???

Post: #4   PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:37 pm Reply with quote
Bobbeer
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

It is tried and tested, but be warned, it takes practise to get it right.
They may crack when frying.

Post: #5   PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:52 pm Reply with quote
MrsBouvier

hhmmmmm....so I have read ....hence my question...a fool proof/idiots guide is what I am after Laughing Laughing

Your advice seems very similar to that which I have already been reading on the internet BobBeer...http://kopiaste.org/2007/12/koupes/

If it is not for the faint hearted I may back out...what would you advise?! Crying or Very sad

Post: #6   PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:54 pm Reply with quote
MrsBouvier

Bobbeer wrote:
It is tried and tested, but be warned, it takes practise to get it right.
They may crack when frying.

Forgot to ask...what's the best way to avoid the cracking problem???????

Post: #7   PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 5:20 pm Reply with quote
kipper889
Pictures: 5

Goubes are my absolute favorite. I like them if they have pine nuts inside.

Can't wait to get to Cy to eat them again.

Why would you bother to make them yourself? My Greek kitchen (Tonia) showed how to do them last week. A lot of phaffing about, just buy them and enjoy.

BTW they are pronounced 'Goo bez' in Cyprus.

Ruth

Post: #8   PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 7:00 pm Reply with quote
geof j
Pictures: 2

i checked up on making them then thought No Way, i shall continue to buy them from the shop as you head to Dyrhinia, absolutely freshly made,slice of lemon and a cup of coffee boooootiful! Very Happy
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Hide These Ads? Register for Free or Login

Post: #9   PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 7:47 pm Reply with quote
Bobbeer
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

You just need to practise. Don't have the oil, for frying, too hot.

Post: #10   PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 8:00 pm Reply with quote
MrsBouvier

Hhhhmmmm - Kipper, it would appear I am misinformed then as to the pronunciation unless they have more than one name - I could not find anything on the internet for the name you gave though I have heard people say it before...confusing! You are probably right best to let the experts do the hard work and enjoy them from the bakery....which is why I asked how difficult they are to make...I think I have the answer Laughing

Geof - Where in Dherynia do you go exactly? - I get mine from any of the local bakeries in Kapparis or Paralimni - all seem equally as nice.

Bob - Thanks again - I think I will throw the towel in before I start after much internet research they seem a little on the tricky side for my novice hands Rolling Eyes Embarassed

Post: #11   PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:34 pm Reply with quote
AskCy
Pictures: 18

Pronounced??? I seem to remember Tonia Buxton pronouncing then "koobez" or something like that..?... cracked wheat, spiced meat and serve with lemon juice on them....

Steve

Post: #12   PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 6:45 am Reply with quote
MrsBouvier

Maybe there is regional variations??? The recipes I have all use Bulgur wheat is cracked wheat something different??

Post: #13   PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 9:59 am Reply with quote
AskCy

same stuff...

like these I had in Pernera a few years back (from L&G supermarket)

Koupes

Post: #14   PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 12:54 pm Reply with quote
MrsBouvier

geof j wrote:
i checked up on making them then thought No Way, i shall continue to buy them from the shop as you head to Dyrhinia, absolutely freshly made,slice of lemon and a cup of coffee boooootiful! Very Happy

Geoff I asked a Cypriot friend this morning who told me not to bother with the bakery ones I normally buy and to go the the shop in Dherynia....he told me where it was....having abandoned the idea of making them, I can't wait now!!!!

Post: #15   PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 8:53 pm Reply with quote
geof j
Pictures: 2

yes Marge ,the ones from the shop in Derhynia are the best and you can see the lady making them.

enjoy.
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Join Us Today! Register for Free or Login

Post: #16   PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 10:23 pm Reply with quote
Kwacka
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Pictures: 3

Which shop in Dherynia, please folks?

Post: #17   PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 2:16 am Reply with quote
suemaloo
Pictures: 0

I watched Tonia make them on my Greek Kitchen, thought ~I can do that,
made the filling no problem, could I get the blessed bulghar/cracked wheat to stick together, after the second try I made a cottage pie out of the filling instead!
funny thing was I was at a Cypriot birthday party where they had them and told the the ladies at the table of my attempts and they laughed their heads off, said no one makes them at home any more they buy them instead, didn't feel such a failure after that.
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Post: #18   PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:30 am Reply with quote
AskCy

I wonder if the type of cracked wheat /bulgar wheat is the problem?

I know when we use Basmati rice loads of stratch comes out when washing it but the "easy cook long grain" has a lot less... so sticking together the basmatic rice would stand more chance... so I wonder if the cracked wheat has similar "versions" ?

Steve

Post: #19   PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 10:26 am Reply with quote
MrsBouvier

My Cypriot friend I asked said he uses couscous as sometimes the bulgur wheat is not fine enough?1. He also said even with a machine to make the cases at home it can be tricky so best to leave it to the experts Laughing

Kwacka-he told me to go to the shop which is next to the purple shop and the shoe shop (before the fire station), there is a small supermarket and it is just to the left of that. The only sell Kuopes apparently!

Post: #20   PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 10:49 am Reply with quote
Elizavet
Pictures: 6

I am sure there is a place that sells these, opposite the fruit wholsalers at the shooting club on the Paralmini Sotira road.

I keep meaning to stop and check it out. Smile

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » Cypriot Recipes & Music