Not A Member Yet? See All The Features Of The Forum By Clicking Here To Register For FREE! Or Members Login Below:

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Cyprus Eastern Forum Index
Offering Free Help, Advice, Tips & Support for those buying or living in:
Paralimni - Protaras - Pernera - Kapparis - Agia Napa - Larnaca - Oroklini - Pervolia - Kiti - Xylofagou
Vrysoulles - Frenaros - Dherynia - Sotira - Agia Thekla - Liopetri - Ormidia & surrounding areas...

Main Homepage Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Register Directory Memberlist Search

Ads By Forum Sponsors  

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » Pets & Animal Welfare In Cyprus » English bulldog Goto page 1, 2  Next
English bulldog 
Post: #1   PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 8:03 am Reply with quote
jaynjen
Pictures: 0

Hi,
Can anyone tell me if there are English bulldog breeders in Cyprus, as i am looking to buy a pup.

Cheers Jen
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Hide These Ads? Register for Free or Login

breeders 
Post: #2   PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 9:32 am Reply with quote
joanne

hi
i dont know of any breeders but i do know someone who as just bought one from the new pet shop on april 1st street going out towards aiya napa, i do believe you can order them and they bring them in from other countries. But the vet as told this couple that the dog will have a lot of problems in the summer heat and he will have to be kept in and kept cool. so maybe check it out with a vet before buying one

English Bulldog 
Post: #3   PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 10:15 am Reply with quote
brumble49
Pictures: 2

hi,

A neighbour of mine ( Cypriot ) bought an English Bulldog not too long ago from a breeder "somewhere " in Cyprus, but I'm not sure where!
I will endeavour to find out for you.

the cost of the puppy was CYP800.
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Post: #4   PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 12:05 pm Reply with quote
beersmaggie

These types of breed are not suited to this climate I'm afraid. Bulldogs, pekinese, boxers etc, poor things really suffer here to breathe because of the heat. In the summer it goes to +40c sometimes and we suffer let alone the poor animals.
I have my Golden Retriever clipped in the summer until she looks like a Lab with a fluffy tail, I hate having it done but it is for her own good. When it is really hot I leave the A/C on in my bedroom and she stays in there when I am out. When I come home she goes outside in the shade and she has a paddling pool to get into when she wants, only trouble with that is if some one come to visit they get very wet, she is so eager to see them that she forgets to shake her coat Exclamation
So please, give a thought to your pets comfort and ask yourself that although you love the breed are the the right ones for here.
Maggie Larnaca

Post: #5   PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 12:43 pm Reply with quote
jaynjen

Hi, thank you, to all for your advice. I would just like to say i have thought about the dogs welfare, i had a dog for ten years but sadly she died.I know how hot it gets here and i will do everything to make sure the dog is cool enough, and that all its needs are well provided.
Jen

Post: #6   PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 2:10 pm Reply with quote
yhztolca
Pictures: 1

Hi Jen I see you are located at Dhekelia. Are you on the garrison? if so it may be worth your while to pop into BFAWS on camp, they adopt and foster dogs that are desperately looking for a loving home. They often have puppies but adult dogs are also needing homes. There are hundreds of lovely doggies on the island looking for someone to love them. I got my little guy there 6 months ago and he's now part of the family.

Post: #7   PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 4:49 pm Reply with quote
kipper889
Pictures: 5

Hi All,

I have never owned a dog mainly because I know I would not be able to devote the time that they need to care for them, I have a cat (Boo Hiss) but I do like all animals. I would like to understand why someone who is looking for a new pet dog will only consider one breed, are particular breeds so unique that only that breed will satisfy the owner. Is it similar to owning a car i.e once a Jag driver always a Jag driver?

I am not trying to be fasecious I would like to understand the thinking of a dog owner.

Maggie I know you are absolutely devoted to your retriever but does that mean you would only ever consider a retriever as a pet?

Ruth

Post: #8   PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 5:53 pm Reply with quote
jaynjen

Hi,
I don't understand why some people are replying to my post with so much negativaity, all i wanted to know was if anyone knew of any English Bulldog breeders. I am a lover of all animals and don,t need to explain why i am looking to buy the English Bulldog bred. if you have nothing positive to say Please do not reply to my post with a negative response.

Thanks Jen

Hide These Ads? Register for Free or Login

Post: #9   PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 6:00 pm Reply with quote
kipper889

I apologise to you Jen, I didn't mean my post to offend you, I was genuinely trying to find out how dog owners decide on what breed of dog they would like to buy.

Just my inquisitive mind I suppose. I hope you find the dog you are looking for.

Apologies again,

Ruth

Post: #10   PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 6:51 pm Reply with quote
Byker
Membership Closed
Pictures: 4

I know somebody here in Nicosia that bought a Bulldog puppy in Cyprus, I'll be seeing him on Friday and will ask where he got him from.

BTW, He seems to cope with the heat as well as any dog can.
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Post: #11   PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 8:34 pm Reply with quote
JimPernera
Pictures: 8

Hi All, why a bulldog?
Anyone that has owned a Bulldog, like we used to, will probably tell you: it is a handsome breed, entirely stupid. It will do whatever it wants to do. It will love you and be good with children, and everyone else. It will keep you awake at nights shaking the house with itsí snoring. It will break wind, turn round to look at you and then move away. When it runs to you it wonít stop, maybe knock you over, but carry on running. If it doesnít want to go for a walk, it wonít! They are a breed with their own mind and determination, completely disobedient.
Yes Jen there are breeders over here, but I canít help you where. There used to be a bulldog wandering the streets in Pernera but havenít seen it for some time. Maybe the owners have moved. Good luck with finding one.

Post: #12   PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 8:48 pm Reply with quote
kipper889

Ahhh, Jim,

That would be Piggy from the Spectrum bar. He is a lovely old dog. I remember driving along and he was stood in the middle of the road. We stopped of course to let him cross. He looked at us as if to say 'you just wait there untill I am ready to move' (Reminded me a lot of Mike Tyson in his heyday) Took him a good couple of minutes before he decided to go on his way. I hope he is still well and scaring the life out of those who don't know that he is really just a * special place * cat.

Ruth

Post: #13   PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 8:49 pm Reply with quote
kipper889

Seems that the elusive automoderator has been at work with my very innocent posting above!! lol How very dare she censor my posts when I spend so much time alone with her in the evenings!

Ruth

Post: #14   PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 9:19 pm Reply with quote
aussie

Ruth

Whislt I cannot speak for everyone,But as regard to breeds I have had a few different breeds dogs over the years and have had different breeds. It soon obvious they are have different traits and you soon form an opinion which type you prefer. I have friend though that always gets his from a refuge and never pure breds and always ended up with very good dogs (though sometimes it is hard to guess what it will look like when it grows) In fact I have just rescued one from the refuge, but i think it going to look pretty much like the mop! But my favorite are german shepards

Jen I personally wouldn't worry about the heat ,It is much hotter in OZ and you can find very breed (including huskies and old english sheep dogs) and they dont have problems Just make sure they have shade,water and dont leave them in parked cars, but as you have already had dogs, I am sure now that already

Regards Ivor

Post: #15   PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 9:28 pm Reply with quote
Steve - SJD
Site Admin
Site Admin
Pictures: 55

Jen,

Don't think anyones trying to be negative Smile

Ruth,

LOL - re the automoderator - took me a while to work out why it changed the word Laughing

Cheers

Steve

Join Us Today! Register for Free or Login

Post: #16   PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 9:33 pm Reply with quote
kipper889

Hi Aussie,

Thanks for that, so it is a bit like having a favorite make of car, you know how they work and how they handle and you are comfortable with them.

Whereas a cat just comes, goes, eats, has a cuddle and goes again. They never really let you know them. I can fully understand the attraction of owning a dog....Just wish I had the time to devote.

Ruth

Post: #17   PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 9:37 pm Reply with quote
aussie

Dogs are mans best friend But Cats have staff Wink

Post: #18   PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 9:41 pm Reply with quote
Balconia

Slightly off topic i know - But this honestly happened today in my sons science lesson.
They were discussing different breeds of dog and some smart alec came up with the idea of crossing a bull dog with a shitsu. Wink
Made me smile anyway Laughing

Post: #19   PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 9:43 pm Reply with quote
kipper889

And me Carol Laughing

Ruth

Post: #20   PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 9:45 pm Reply with quote
Balconia

Glad you appreciated it Ruth.
Now if only Gavino could remember all the other relevant topics they discuss in Science Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

English bulldog 
  Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » Pets & Animal Welfare In Cyprus