Not A Member Yet? See All The Features Of The Forum By Clicking Here To Register For FREE! Or Members Login Below:

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Cyprus Eastern Forum Index
Offering Free Help, Advice, Tips & Support for those buying or living in:
Paralimni - Protaras - Pernera - Kapparis - Agia Napa - Larnaca - Oroklini - Pervolia - Kiti - Xylofagou
Vrysoulles - Frenaros - Dherynia - Sotira - Agia Thekla - Liopetri - Ormidia & surrounding areas...

Main Homepage Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Register Directory Memberlist Search

Ads By Forum Sponsors  

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » Advocates » good local(larnaca)lawyer? Goto page 1, 2  Next
good local(larnaca)lawyer? 
Post: #1   PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 3:34 am Reply with quote
panayiota
Pictures: 0

I have a 4 page document that cant be translated into English and i need a Lawyer to check it for me and to put their stamp and signature to it to confirm i understand it.im told it should only take 5 minutes and i know i will have to pay for it but can anyone recommend one in oriklini/larnaca?
Thanks in anticipation.
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Hide These Ads? Register for Free or Login

Re: good local(larnaca)lawyer? 
Post: #2   PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 7:34 am Reply with quote
agapi

panayiota wrote:
I have a 4 page document that cant be translated into English and i need a Lawyer to check it for me and to put their stamp and signature to it to confirm i understand it.im told it should only take 5 minutes and i know i will have to pay for it but can anyone recommend one in oriklini/larnaca?
Thanks in anticipation.

Try Themis thoma Lawers in larnaca
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Post: #3   PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 7:53 am Reply with quote
RosieS

I would be very careful if dealing with someone who cannot produce a translated copy of a document, or a lawyer that will not issue an official translation.

Over pesimistic? Ask the thousands of people who have been duped by lawyers.
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Post: #4   PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:54 am Reply with quote
FROGMAN

I Agree with RosieS, Be very very careful.
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Post: #5   PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 10:06 am Reply with quote
RosieS

I know it depends on what the document relates to but the fact you are seeking a lawyer sugests it involves a legal agreement.

In the past I have signed documents in Greek and have been fortunate that it was nothing major, however as we have now been in the EU for 7 years english translations should be available?
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Post: #6   PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 1:31 pm Reply with quote
devil
Pictures: 1

RosieS wrote:
however as we have now been in the EU for 7 years english translations should be available?

Why? The national languages of Cyprus are Greek and Turkish, not English. I lived in Switzerland for 35 years with 4 national languages (French, German, Italian and Rhaeto-Romansch) and not once did I sign a legal or official document in English. A few official publications are available also in English, the same as here, but that is all. You can have legal documents translated into English or Swahili by officially approved translators but the original language is binding, not the translation.

Post: #7   PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 2:55 pm Reply with quote
mouse

devil wrote:
RosieS wrote:
however as we have now been in the EU for 7 years english translations should be available?

Why? The national languages of Cyprus are Greek and Turkish, not English. I lived in Switzerland for 35 years with 4 national languages (French, German, Italian and Rhaeto-Romansch) and not once did I sign a legal or official document in English. A few official publications are available also in English, the same as here, but that is all. You can have legal documents translated into English or Swahili by officially approved translators but the original language is binding, not the translation.

If you are paying for a lawyer, surely he should have any forms or documents translated as its the only way he can give you the proper legal advice.

Post: #8   PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 3:48 pm Reply with quote
Dibbs

Can advise of a highly recommended Nicosia Corporate Lawyer if you can make the extra effort.
100% impartial with very reasonable charges. Do make a point of clearing charge level at the outset with whichever lawyer you end up with

Hide These Ads? Register for Free or Login

Post: #9   PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 3:58 pm Reply with quote
devil

Surely 'good' and 'lawyer' are self-contradictory terms?

Post: #10   PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 4:14 pm Reply with quote
Dibbs

Some exceptions, few mind you, can still be found.
lawyers 
Post: #11   PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:04 pm Reply with quote
annforbes

the british high commission have a list of approved lawyers. that would be a good place to start

tel: +357 22 861100
Fax: +357 22 861200
Email:
Links only visible to Registered Members
Register for Free or Login to the forum.
good local(larnaca)lawyer 
Post: #12   PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:32 am Reply with quote
panayiota

i have used this forum for a few years now both before and after moving here and try to ask specific questions that thave specific answers,but the trouble with the internet you often get anything but,so thank to agapi and anna for your help

Post: #13   PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:49 am Reply with quote
LynSab

devil wrote:
RosieS wrote:

Isn't it odd though that when one purchases a property in Cyprus ( at least in the past ) that without even asking English translated contracts are already done. Estate agents windows are all in English, prices of the majority of things for sale also in English. It only seems to become a problem when you yourself want something done. Funny that dontcha think Laughing
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Post: #14   PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:34 am Reply with quote
cyprussmoothie

Annforbes, good morning. The list is not of approved lawyers. It is a list of English speaking lawyers. This is a common misconception that rears its head time and time again.

Devil. There are GOOD LAWYERS here on the island and i am not just speaking of one. Yes difficult to find as we only ever hear of the bad ones but they are out there!

Vee [its me]
Tassos Coucounis - Andreas Coucounis & Co 
Post: #15   PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:24 am Reply with quote
chris

As featured in the Cyprus Property magazine, April 12th, 2009.

Tasos is a partner in the Law Firm of Andreas Coucounis & Co, and we were more than satisfied with the service provided to both us, and our extended (greek cypriot) family. See:

Chris

Join Us Today! Register for Free or Login

Post: #16   PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:27 am Reply with quote
RosieS

devil wrote:
RosieS wrote:

I used to work for the French Embassy and on leaving was issued a reference in French and an 'offical translation' in English which was endorsed with a stamp. Literal translations are difficult at the best of times but the stamped translation provided me and future prospective employers with what was being conveyed and that was what counted?

Post: #17   PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:30 am Reply with quote
RosieS

A friend of mine while in dispute with a developer asked her lawyer re the discrepancy and she received the following explanation....
'I cant go into all the small print'...
Shocked
lawyers 
Post: #18   PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:15 pm Reply with quote
annforbes

re the list - not everyone who speaks/writes good English stays on the list! I leave everyone to draw their own conclusions about why that is!
Re: lawyers 
Post: #19   PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:07 pm Reply with quote
journo
Pictures: 17

annforbes wrote:
the british high commission have a list of approved lawyers. that would be a good place to start

tel: +357 22 861100
Fax: +357 22 861200
Email:

This is [as clearly staed by the British High Commission] not a list of 'approved' lawyers, but a list of lawyers who speak English.
The BHC make it clear they are NOT in a position to 'recommend' these lawyers.

Post: #20   PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:13 am Reply with quote
Smally

So, where should I go if I need a property lawyer whom I can trust?
good local(larnaca)lawyer? 
  Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » Advocates