Not A Member Yet? See All The Features Of The Forum By Clicking Here To Register For FREE! Or Members Login Below:

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Cyprus Eastern Forum Index
Offering Free Help, Advice, Tips & Support for those buying or living in:
Paralimni - Protaras - Pernera - Kapparis - Agia Napa - Larnaca - Oroklini - Pervolia - Kiti - Xylofagou
Vrysoulles - Frenaros - Dherynia - Sotira - Agia Thekla - Liopetri - Ormidia & surrounding areas...

Main Homepage Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Register Directory Memberlist Search

Ads By Forum Sponsors  

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » Cypriot Recipes & Music » Those is it bulgar wheat fried sausage?
Those is it bulgar wheat fried sausage? 
Post: #1   PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 6:25 pm Reply with quote
moondust
Pictures: 0

I've heard the name but being deaf can't make it out, it begins with a k, it's a sort of doughnut in a loose sense, with bulgar wheat on the outside, deep fried with mince meat and flat leaf parsley inside or mushrooms. Does anyone know the name or better still how to make them ?
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Hide These Ads? Register for Free or Login

Post: #2   PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 7:24 pm Reply with quote
pumpkin

Koupes - Cigar shaped savouries, containing meat , onions and parsley surrounded with a thin, crispy( when fresh & well made) layer of crushed bulgur wheat. Buy them in the bakers or periptero's (newsagent / corner shops) and eat them with a wedge of lemon, which you squeeze into the top. There are big ones, small ones and in the fasting periods, ones with a mushroom filling instead of meat.

Lifted from google, I wont pretend I know how to cook them, just how to eat them! Laughing
I have seen a recipe for them on this forum before but I cant remember where sorry
Carolyn
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Post: #3   PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 7:41 pm Reply with quote
Anne-Marie
Pictures: 3

Hi Moondust, the name is Koupes (ground wheat paste stuffed with spiced minced meat) Yummy !!!!! I have taken the recipe from 'Cooking from Cyprus' not actually tried making them myself, so let me know if you decide to make them and how they turn out Very Happy The recipe is for 50-60 pieces and so you will obviously need to amend for a smaller amount

Ingredients for the paste:
2k of fine ground wheat
1tblsp salt
3 cups luke warm water
1/2 cup flour

Ingredients for the stuffing:
1 cup of parsley, finely chopped
1 cup veg oil
1 tsp salt
1 1/2 cups of onion cut into thick rings
1/2k of mince meat
1/2 cup of pine-nuts
1/2 tsp of pepper

Method:
-Three hours before you start preparing Koupes, prepare the ground wheat paste. Put the ground wheat in a big wooden pot. Dissolve the salt in lukewarm water and mix with the wheat. Then sprinkle flour over the surface of the ground wheat, cover it with a thick serviette and leave it for 3 hours.
-Then prepare the stuffing: Pour the oil into a wide frying pan and fry the onions slightly. Do the same with the parsley. Add the mince meat and stir for a while. Add salt and pepper, stir and cook the mince meat slowly until light brown. Strain the oil and when cold add the pine nuts.
-Stir the ground wheat and then knead it into a firm and smooth paste. Take in your hands two tablespoons of paste for the 'big size' Koupes or one tablespoon for the small size. Shape the paste into a ball. Using a special stick, shape the paste into a tubular shape. Then, remove the stick carefully, stuff the koupa with the stuffing and close its opening carefully. To shape them more easily. dip your hands into cold water every time you make one. Repeat procedure and place koupes on board sprinked with flour.
-Fry them in a deep frying pan with plenty of boiling oil. Turn them over so that they get light brown on all sides.

Not sure where you can buy the 'special stick' but I am sure a finger would suffice Very Happy

It also adds that the first few attempts to shape the paste may fail but with patience and practise you will finally succeed.

Good luck,

Regards

Anne-Marie

Post: #4   PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 8:01 am Reply with quote
Bigade
Pictures: 4

I have made these......... the time needed for it, unless you are making many of them, simply is not worth the effort. And for me to say that, when I love cooking, is something.

Go to the bakery, Zorbas is best for them, far easier.
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail ICQ Number Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Post: #5   PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 9:10 am Reply with quote
Lyndi

As Bigade says a bit time consuming etc to make - I get mine from either "Euro Bakers" or if you are in Paralimni/Dherynia area and know where the "Purple Shop" is on April First Street, there is a little takeaway a couple of doors down that make them to order - yum yum !!! Enjoy !!!

Post: #6   PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 6:25 pm Reply with quote
moondust

Thanks everyone, I had a sinking feeling they were fiddly to make.
Not tried them with lemon though, will do.
The reason I asked is my baby loves them and I thought if I had a go I could know exactly what was in it.
He also adores the rice filled vine leaves , I get them in a tin I'm sorry to say.

Post: #7   PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 8:30 pm Reply with quote
Bigade
Pictures: 4

moondust wrote:
He also adores the rice filled vine leaves , I get them in a tin I'm sorry to say.

Dolmades!!............. not quite so fiddly to make, but you got to get good leaves.
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail ICQ Number Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Post: #8   PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:56 am Reply with quote
AskCy
Pictures: 18

sorry I missed this... my recipe for them is about 10 posts down from this one...

have a look here, all the recipe in stages with pictures ...

http://www.easterncyprus.com/viewtopic.php?t=27730&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=20

Steve

Hide These Ads? Register for Free or Login

Those is it bulgar wheat fried sausage? 
  Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » Cypriot Recipes & Music