Not A Member Yet? See All The Features Of The Forum By Clicking Here To Register For FREE! Or Members Login Below:

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Cyprus Eastern Forum Index
Offering Free Help, Advice, Tips & Support for those buying or living in:
Paralimni - Protaras - Pernera - Kapparis - Agia Napa - Larnaca - Oroklini - Pervolia - Kiti - Xylofagou
Vrysoulles - Frenaros - Dherynia - Sotira - Agia Thekla - Liopetri - Ormidia & surrounding areas...

Main Homepage Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Register Directory Memberlist Search

Ads By Forum Sponsors  

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » F.A.Q. » places of worship in Eastern Cyprus Goto page 1, 2  Next
places of worship in Eastern Cyprus 
Post: #1   PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 3:36 pm Reply with quote
annforbes
Pictures: 0

Larnaca
Grace Church, (New Frontier)
Links only visible to Registered Members
Register for Free or Login to the forum.

We meet each Sunday morning at 10.00 a.m at our church building at:
8 Ayiou Neofytou Street, Larnaca.
Click here for maps of Larnaca Area and Larnaca Town.

During the service we also have Junior Church, comprising
MAGNET for 10 - 14 year olds
KIDZONE for 5 - 9 year olds
JELLY TOTS for up to 5 year olds

We usually begin our meeting by worshipping God together, before a message from the Bible is brought. Our meeting finishes at about 12.00 noon, when we serve refreshments, and have opportunity to talk with one another more.

Visitors are very welcome!

If you want to get in touch you can email us on
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Hide These Ads? Register for Free or Login

Post: #2   PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 6:58 am Reply with quote
annforbes

thanks for your post David. Do you stay in the Paralimni area when you are over here?

Ann
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Post: #3   PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 9:59 pm Reply with quote
barrettdg

We moved to Cyprus in November 2013 and just prior to Christmas went along to the carol service at St Helena's Church in Larnaca (in street opposite the old hospital). We received a wonderfully friendly welcome and have since attended many of the social functions which they organise. These have included a table--top games afternoon with tea and a monthly two course lunch open to ANYBODY at a cost of only 5 per head. The church also runs its own charity shop next door to the church which is well worth a visit and is open Monday, Wednesday and Friday mornings.
Sunday services are followed by tea or coffee in the courtyard outside the church.

Post: #4   PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:38 am Reply with quote
Tangutica
Pictures: 26

barrettdg wrote:
We moved to Cyprus in November 2013 and just prior to Christmas went along to the carol service at St Helena's Church in Larnaca (in street opposite the old hospital). We received a wonderfully friendly welcome and have since attended many of the social functions which they organise. These have included a table--top games afternoon with tea and a monthly two course lunch open to ANYBODY at a cost of only 5 per head. The church also runs its own charity shop next door to the church which is well worth a visit and is open Monday, Wednesday and Friday mornings.
Sunday services are followed by tea or coffee in the courtyard outside the church.

Sounds good. And cheers for that info about that charity shop as I think I'd be able to pull up outside there? Can no longer do that for the one I used to use since they changed all the one way bits approaching Lazarus. Would have to go in the off street parking, pay and cart the stuff there.

I've got stuff on the back seat of my car (where it's been for weeks) I will check them out on Wednesday or Friday)
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Post: #5   PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 6:25 am Reply with quote
barrettdg

Hi tangutica
Donations are very welcome at the shop. You can stop for a short while outside the shop but try to pull onto the pavement if you can as it's right opposite where the buses stop and usually quite busy. The church and shop are in the ground floor of an apartment block which is on a one-way triangle. If you approach from the police station direction you will see a blue sign post on the left for 'St Helena's Church' directing you to turn left. You can park on the right (opposite two small cafes and a motor bike repair place - before Micro supermarket).
If you park there just walk round the corner to the shop and ask for Liz, Helen or Pat. One of them will help you unload if there's no parking space immediately outside the shop.

Post: #6   PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 7:24 pm Reply with quote
barrettdg

Hi tangutica
Did you find the charity shop ok?
Doug

Post: #7   PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:53 pm Reply with quote
Lesleylou

Hi there, can anyone give me details of where the St Helena Church is exactly and info on activities mentioned in earlier posts? Are activities held in and around the church area? Would really like to find out more if anyone can help.

Post: #8   PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:39 pm Reply with quote
barrettdg

Hi Lelsleylou
St Helena's is in the ground floor of apartment block opposite the old hospital. If you are coming from the direction of the police station it is in the street opposite the hospital entrance and across the road from the small Zenon bus terminal. There is an enclosed courtyard outside the church and the church charity shop is next door.
There is Holy Communion service at 9.30 Sunday morning with tea and coffee served in the courtyard after the service.
The church has an apartment on the second floor of the block which is used for various functions.
There is a monthly two-course lunch open to anybody for 5 per head.
There are occasional table games afternoons - next one is 31st March.
There is a craft group doing all kinds of handicrafts every other Friday - next one 28th March.
On 30th March, following the Mothering Sunday service, there will be a beach picnic with games at the CTO beach at Pyla starting at 12 midday.
Please come along for the service on Sunday or for coffee afterwards and say hello. We have a really friendly and welcoming congregation and clergy.
Look forward to seeing you.

Hide These Ads? Register for Free or Login

Post: #9   PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:05 am Reply with quote
Lesleylou

Thank you so much for all the info. It sounds like you are a friendly crowd which is just what we need. At the moment we are in the UK we will be back in two weeks time. I will contact you through the forum on my return.
If there any further activities for early April I would be interested as March is out for us.

Thanks in advance

Post: #10   PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 6:44 am Reply with quote
barrettdg

Hi Lesleylou

We are off to the UK for three weeks from the beginning of April so will miss you on your return.

Please keep an eye on the 'events' section of this forum as I will be regularly posting upcoming events at St Helena's. Please go along any Sunday morning and introduce yourself. Ask for Pat.B, Liz, Rowena or the vicar, John and his wife, Sue. Please explain that we have had this conversation. You will be sure of a warm welcome.

Hope to meet you when we get back.

Best wishes
Doug

Post: #11   PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:17 pm Reply with quote
barrettdg

Hi Lesleylou
We are back from the UK now and just wondered if you made it along to St Helena's. We should be going on Sunday so maybe see you there.
If you are going ask someone to point out Doug and Helen.

Post: #12   PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 8:26 am Reply with quote
Lesleylou

Hi Doug, it was very kind of you to remember us - we are here in Larnaca as I have mentioned before. At the beginning of the month by father went along to one of the table games afternoons - he felt a bit lost when he first arrived especially as he didn't know a soul but I think he was ok after a while.

We haven't been along to the Sunday service - most sundays we are at my daughters who lives in Nicosia but nevertheless we are interested in what goes on generally - any events or gatherings that may be coming up in the coming weeks.

It would be very nice to meet you and your wife at some point in the near future.

Please contact us again with any events coming up and if need be I will post my contact number to you.

Kind Regards - Lesley

Post: #13   PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 6:18 am Reply with quote
barrettdg

Hi Lesleylou

I have just seen your message. For some reason I didn't get an e-mail as I usually do when someone adds something to my threads.

Glad your husband made it to the table games. Hope he enjoyed it (especially the refreshments!!) but pity he did not seek me out as we were there playing scrabble. At least now you know where we are so hope to see you at a future event.

Keep an eye on the 'events' chat room as I try to keep it updated.

Best wishes

Post: #14   PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 9:33 am Reply with quote
Lesleylou

Thanks a lot for replying - it was actually my father who went to the table games and not my husband - just thought it would be worth mentioning. Will keep an eye on the events calendar.

Kind Regards

Post: #15   PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 9:41 am Reply with quote
barrettdg

Sorry, Lesleylou. I must learn to read properly!!

Hope to meet you soon.

Join Us Today! Register for Free or Login

places of worship in easten cyprus 
Post: #16   PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 12:29 pm Reply with quote
noodles

hi there

I could do with some new company i know where is the church in larnaca. Just lost my husband to be and need some kind new faces to occupy my mind.

I hope that does not sound selfish or rude just would like to meet new friends please?

Anita

Post: #17   PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 2:40 pm Reply with quote
Petros

Hello Noodles...I note you are in Larnaca....however if you feel you could travel to Deryneia...St John Deryneia is a lovely new church plant (18 months old now) everyone is welcome to come along, we are an inclusive church that follows the Anglican Eucharist....congregation at around 40 but growing....we have some great off site events to and you would be very welcome to come along if you wish... we are very much a church family with a commitment to the community.......check out our web site..StJohntheevangelistdeyneia to get an idea of who we are.
HTH
Ann

Post: #18   PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 3:05 pm Reply with quote
annforbes

If you want to go to church in the larnaca are there are lots of different styles in larnaca. Grace church is now closed but the above link is a free church which has lots of activities. There is also St. Helena Church of England which is almost opposite the American academy private school. If you google Cyprus anglo info you will find a bit more information about the many churches in your area.

Ann
Re: places of worship in easten cyprus 
Post: #19   PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 4:03 pm Reply with quote
barrettdg

noodles wrote:
hi there

I could do with some new company i know where is the church in larnaca. Just lost my husband to be and need some kind new faces to occupy my mind.

I hope that does not sound selfish or rude just would like to meet new friends please?

Anita

Hi Anita

You would be very welcome at St Helena's and I'm sure you'll make some nice new friends as we did when we first arrived in Cyprus ion November.
If you can make it for the communion service at 9.30 on Sunday please introduce yourself to us (Doug & Helen) after the service when the church members serve teas and coffees in the church courtyard.

The church is in the street opposite the old hospital and across the road from the Zenon bus terminal. Hope to see you there.

Post: #20   PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 6:50 am Reply with quote
noodles

Hi Doug and Helen

thank you for you kind message. I have just booked my flight s back to the UK for my husbands funeral and I am leaving on Friday evening so will not be here for this weekends service.

I will contact with you upon my return to cyprus if thats ok with you??

Thanks to everyone for your comments.

Anita
  Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » F.A.Q.