Not A Member Yet? See All The Features Of The Forum By Clicking Here To Register For FREE! Or Members Login Below:

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Cyprus Eastern Forum Index
Offering Free Help, Advice, Tips & Support for those buying or living in:
Paralimni - Protaras - Pernera - Kapparis - Agia Napa - Larnaca - Oroklini - Pervolia - Kiti - Xylofagou
Vrysoulles - Frenaros - Dherynia - Sotira - Agia Thekla - Liopetri - Ormidia & surrounding areas...

Main Homepage Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Register Directory Memberlist Search

Ads By Forum Sponsors  

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » Toddler Talk » Is there adequate provision for childcare in Paralimni area?

Is there adequate provision for childcare in Paralimni area?
No ending time set.
yes
71%
 71%  [ 5 ]
no
28%
 28%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes Cast : 7

Post: #1   PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:44 am Reply with quote
kimclements
Pictures: 0

I am interested to find out what local parents think about the provision of childcare facilitities in and around Famagusta and to find out whether there is a need for something new. Here are some questions to get you thinking:
Do you think there is enough choice of quality daycare for children aged 9 months to 5 years? Is it adequate for your needs?
Would you consider a daycare centre that followed UK standards, including experienced staff, proper ratios of adults to children, child centred learning etc. to have more appeal than what is already available?
What do you think is lacking in the provision that is already available? e.g.location, flexibility of hours, Early Years Framework, choice, quality of staff, activities provided etc.

Please feel free to make any commenst regarding this topic as it is crucial for me to find out how parents feel and whether there is a need for something new. I look forward to reading your comments soon.
[Edited]
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Hide These Ads? Register for Free or Login

Post: #2   PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:57 am Reply with quote
Meenie

As a mother it is always nice to hear of new things for children.
I found that from the ages of 6 months onwards there wasn't a lot of activities or places to go.

I'm not sure if you are thinking of an english speaking nursery or greek speaking one.
My child is now 5 and speaks fluent in Greek. I personally think that if a child is going to go to a Cypriot school then a nursery where greek is spoken would be best. I was very pleased with my choice of nursery and my daughter still talks about her time there.

Meenie
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Post: #3   PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:20 pm Reply with quote
MrsBouvier
Pictures: 28

I think like anywhere you have to find the right place for you and your child. My youngest son now goes to a nursery in Paralimni where the class sizes are controlled, the day is structured and full of routine (this is exactly what my youngest thrives on!). The environment is very warm and comforting, yet also disciplined which is important to me.

I find the staff very thorough and although they teach in Greek they have no problem with communication with parents in English. They are open from 7.30am (as with normal school hours) and stay open until 4pm. The younger children have a sleep room, where they can nap in the afternoon, there are separate classrooms depending on the child's age and they have two fantastic outside covered areas. The children also receive a cooked meal daily. The nursery does not close for 3 months in the summer like the regular school terms, instead they are only closed for approximately 10 days in August (great for working parents!). Personally I think the fees are VERY reasonable, taking into consideration the hours and a cooked meal included.....certainly compared to a UK based equivalent. The school hold fantastic outdoor plays among other things....there is a real education base not just a childcare centre.

I think it will be a very sad day when he has to leave for "big school"...I have such peace of mind at the moment.

I totally agree with what has been said before, if children are to grow up here in Cyprus and attend local school it is absolutely essential that they attend a Greek Nursery in order to pick up the language.

Kim, I am guessing as you talk of early years framework that to follow the UK national strategies you would intend to teach in English? I am curious though, how would you propose to implement EYFS as you would be need to be registered with and inspected by Ofsted to do this. I am speaking purely from my time in the UK as treasurer on the committee at my Daughters playgroup!

I am glad my older two speak fluent Greek otherwise I would struggle when my son pops the odd sentence in at home Laughing Laughing Laughing .

On the flip side it is vital for English children to receive English lessons outside of Greek school as it is imperative they are also educated in English grammar and spelling. My 3 year old knows all his colours in both English and Greek but for some reason he will not have it that Red is a colour everything is Kokkino...no matter how hard we try to explain...he insists its not Red, its Kokkino...this makes us chuckle.

So, in short, No I don't think there is something missing in the area...maybe I am biased or maybe the Nursery my son attends has a waiting list...I don't know the answer. For me I have everything I need.

All in my own opinion anyway.

Thank you for your replies 
Post: #4   PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 12:35 pm Reply with quote
kimclements

Thanks for your replies. I will take all of your comments into consideration. I also agree that to live here in Cyprus and to bring children up here, that learning the language is essential. I also wonder how parents cope in the summer with child care when they may have to work long hours or want to go out in the evenings without children. I appreciate that lots of parents have friends or family that can help out but what about those that don't?

Post: #5   PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 3:31 pm Reply with quote
reis-oliver

hiya i know this is a old post but which nursery did your children go too.also you say its good that nursery is closed only for 10days which is good for working mums but where did you take your children for those days as im a single mum & am struggling to find anywhere open to put my little boy whilst i work.my days of work are 6 days including weekends with 1 dayoff mid week im working 8-4. so please im interested to hearing from you as im so stressed out at mo.
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Post: #6   PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 6:05 pm Reply with quote
taffs well

marge can you tell me the daily cost plz
Cost 
Post: #7   PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 6:22 pm Reply with quote
MrsBouvier
Pictures: 28

taffs well wrote:
marge can you tell me the daily cost plz

It's 180 PCM.

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » Toddler Talk