Not A Member Yet? See All The Features Of The Forum By Clicking Here To Register For FREE! Or Members Login Below:

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Cyprus Eastern Forum Index
Offering Free Help, Advice, Tips & Support for those buying or living in:
Paralimni - Protaras - Pernera - Kapparis - Agia Napa - Larnaca - Oroklini - Pervolia - Kiti - Xylofagou
Vrysoulles - Frenaros - Dherynia - Sotira - Agia Thekla - Liopetri - Ormidia & surrounding areas...

Main Homepage Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Register Directory Memberlist Search

Ads By Forum Sponsors  

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » F.A.Q. » hospital complaint
hospital complaint 
Post: #1   PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 8:33 am Reply with quote
baileyboy
Pictures: 0

Could anybody tell me how I can make a complaint against Paralimni General Hospital? I have checked their web page but it is under construction.
A week past Sunday I had the misfortune to fall down 10 stairs in the house. No alcohol involved, I promise. MOH took me to casualty. Unfriendly doctor told me I would have to come back Monday as xray department do not work on Sundays!!!. Go back Monday, xray machine broken down, come back Tuesday. Machine still not working.
As I was in agony my wife decided to take me to a private clinic. doctor saw me straight away. Xrayed me straight away. Result? Broken shoulder!!! Took xray back to casualty. Waited 2 hours. A male nurse eventually came out to the waiting area, looked at the xray and said they would probably send me for physiotherapy!!! My wife phoned the clinic and they told her that they could have a surgeon there in 15 minutes to have a look at it. He xrayed it from a different angle and decided to put off operating on it to see how it is mending in the next 4 weeks. He fitted a shoulder restraint. I of course had to pay for this treatment.
Moral don't have injuries on a Sunday that involve xrays.
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Hide These Ads? Register for Free or Login

Re: hospital complaint 
Post: #2   PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 10:30 am Reply with quote
shuggybear

baileyboy wrote:
Could anybody tell me how I can make a complaint against Paralimni General Hospital? I have checked their web page but it is under construction.
A week past Sunday I had the misfortune to fall down 10 stairs in the house. No alcohol involved, I promise. MOH took me to casualty. Unfriendly doctor told me I would have to come back Monday as xray department do not work on Sundays!!!. Go back Monday, xray machine broken down, come back Tuesday. Machine still not working.
As I was in agony my wife decided to take me to a private clinic. doctor saw me straight away. Xrayed me straight away. Result? Broken shoulder!!! Took xray back to casualty. Waited 2 hours. A male nurse eventually came out to the waiting area, looked at the xray and said they would probably send me for physiotherapy!!! My wife phoned the clinic and they told her that they could have a surgeon there in 15 minutes to have a look at it. He xrayed it from a different angle and decided to put off operating on it to see how it is mending in the next 4 weeks. He fitted a shoulder restraint. I of course had to pay for this treatment.
Moral don't have injuries on a Sunday that involve xrays.

hope you get something sorted are you ok did you take some photos of the bruising cuts etc just in case someone can help you
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Post: #3   PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 10:32 am Reply with quote
Bigade
Pictures: 4

As far as I know, this is an EU based hospital. This is not the first complaint I have heard about it either, and that is not including the bad treatment my wife endured when she went there.

Maybe, you might want to look for a complaint department that deals with EU hospitals in particular, and write to them.
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail ICQ Number Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Post: #4   PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 12:57 pm Reply with quote
baileyboy

shuggiebear. Yes have taken plenty photos.
bigade. I shall have a look at your suggestion.
thanks to you both.

Post: #5   PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 1:47 pm Reply with quote
May Wallace
Pictures: 9

Sorry to hear about your accident.

I have found this link do but know if it is of any help

Links only visible to Registered Members
Register for Free or Login to the forum.

May Wink

Post: #6   PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 2:45 pm Reply with quote
PatCon

Shuggybear, I am horrified by the behaviour of the staff towards you at Paralimni Hospital. In the 11 years I have lived in Larnaca district I have taken quite a few accident victims to the General Hospital in Larnaca, emergency dept., including on Sundays (accidents always seem to happen at weekends) and each time the response has been immediate. Never waited more than 5 minutes. Several doctors on duty. X-ray and even CT scan done where necessary. No formalities, anyone can go.
Hope your injury heals properly despite the neglect of duty shown at Paralimni.

Post: #7   PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 3:34 pm Reply with quote
baileyboy

PatCon. Please note it was not shuggybear who had the accident but myself.
Thank you for your concern. I am also a bit concerned that as you say more damage may have been done by the delay in getting treatment. In the end I was forced to go private as I was in so much pain. The doctor who saw me on the Sunday told me to take my shirt off and stood and watched as I struggled to unbutton it with one hand. Nor did he help me to get my shirt back on and I had to carry my shirt out to the waiting area to get my wife to put it on for me!!! In the UK as you know you automatically go to your local hospital. I discovered days later I could have gone to Larnaca hospital but nobody advised me of this..

Post: #8   PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 4:15 pm Reply with quote
johnrose
Membership Suspended

There is an office near the registration where you can make a complaint
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail MSN Messenger Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Hide These Ads? Register for Free or Login

Post: #9   PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:16 pm Reply with quote
Deanna
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Only just come across this post.
To be honest I think it's very much 'luck of the draw' when you go to A&E at Paralimni General; it very much depends on who is on duty when you have the misfortune to go!
I have been seen/treated there by extremely caring and professional Drs and nurses, and I have also been at the mercy of some who would be better placed in a Boot Camp.

Hope you haven't had any long-term problems with your shoulder BaileyBoy.

Post: #10   PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 6:35 am Reply with quote
salesgirl09

next time dirve 30 mins down the road and go to larnaca general hospital, they see you very quickly there, had to take my daughter there, they had all the blood test results very quickly and did everything they should have with such swiftness, it put british A & E's to shame!

Post: #11   PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 6:58 am Reply with quote
baileyboy

I hope there is not a next time lol. I assumed that you would need to go to your local hospital but later (when it was too late) I discovered that I could have gone to Larnaca.
But good advice for anybody in the future.

Post: #12   PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 2:37 pm Reply with quote
madman

I had chest pain and was admitted, had all the tests for a heart attack and was awaiting transfer to Nic for more tests to see if I had blockage and if so a stent would be fitted.
Anyway after being in hospital for 11 nights I finally got out, no tests at Nic and was told the pain was stress related.

Anyway 11 months after.... I had a blockage/heart attack and was told in the UK that I would of been experiencing Angina the year before.

Stent fitted all okay and was in and out 4 days. Please don't except that you are being looked after with the same expertise as the UK because you are not. Here in the UK the doctors could not see any reason I was in hospital for 11 nights.

Post: #13   PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 8:15 pm Reply with quote
Campbell Findlay

Got to say that this is the first time I have heard a complaint about A and E at Paralimni.My own experience was very positive and a pal of mine who fell off a ladder and sustained very serious injuries cannot speak highly enough of the staff there.Sorry to hear about your bad experience.

Cheers,
Campbell.

Post: #14   PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 9:47 pm Reply with quote
fettler

While not for a moment disputing the story, I have to agree with Campbell. Our experiences have all been satisfactory. I'd rather they hadn't been necessary, but that's the way it goes.

Cheers

Alex

Post: #15   PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 4:21 pm Reply with quote
Jambos98
Pictures: 1

you make a complaint to the ministry of health making sure its registered delivery. If you don't get a reply within 40 days you are free to refer the matter to the ombudswoman who Im told is excellent.

Currently in the initial stages of such a complaint myself.

Join Us Today! Register for Free or Login

Post: #16   PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 4:41 pm Reply with quote
Tangutica
Pictures: 26

If you have cause to complain about treatment at your local general hospital, I think you should make the complaint and follow it through.

I realise you might go to another area general if they won't see you, but don't think it is the right advice for the future to avoid your local one.

Lca General is busy enough as it is! You'd wait a lot longer to be seen if everyone from Paralimni went there instead too.

What I've noticed taking others to the general and A&E there is that more and more non EU immigrants are using it for stuff you'd see a dentist or your doc for and end up being prescribed just painkillers. I've questioned some of them saying 'why go to the hospital with toothache/aching leg/flu/whatever?' Their response is always the same - it's because they don't have to pay for anything if they go to the hospital - they don't go to the doctor at the hospital - they queue in A&E. This of course adds to the waiting time for people with genuine accident or emergency problems. I'm sure in the UK they'd kick them out and tell them to see their doc for non urgent stuff but that doesn't seem to happen here.

I was told at the general that I would need radiography on a follow up appointment after my op. The wait was MONTHS, not weeks for the appointment. I declined and paid to have it done privately and it only cost 70 euros and was done the next day.

If I was in a lot of pain and worried, whether here or in the UK or anywhere - I would just find out where the nearest private clinic was and go there. Nothing to my mind is more worth spending money on than your health. Without your health you have no enjoyment of anything much anyway do you?
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Cyprus News,Weather & Travel
hospital complaint 
  Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » F.A.Q.