Not A Member Yet? See All The Features Of The Forum By Clicking Here To Register For FREE! Or Members Login Below:

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Cyprus Eastern Forum Index
Offering Free Help, Advice, Tips & Support for those buying or living in:
Paralimni - Protaras - Pernera - Kapparis - Agia Napa - Larnaca - Oroklini - Pervolia - Kiti - Xylofagou
Vrysoulles - Frenaros - Dherynia - Sotira - Agia Thekla - Liopetri - Ormidia & surrounding areas...

Main Homepage Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Register Directory Memberlist Search

Ads By Forum Sponsors  

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » Cypriot Recipes & Music » Pork Bacon ribs loin what ever you like to call them !!!! Goto page 1, 2  Next
Pork Bacon ribs loin what ever you like to call them !!!! 
Post: #1   PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 5:20 am Reply with quote
Janie
Pictures: 0

Hi has anyone got a nice marinade sauce recipe for the pork bacon (pork ribs or loin) what you can buy in the supermarkets here ? Smile
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Hide These Ads? Register for Free or Login

Post: #2   PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:02 am Reply with quote
alanmorton99

Hi Janie, You could try the following which is designed for pork belly, but very similar:-

2 tbsp sweet chilli sauce
2 tbsp runny honey
1 tbsp rice vinegar
1 tbsp fresh grated ginger
3 garlic cloves, crushed
2 star anise
1 tsp Chinese five-spice powder
1/2 lime, juice only

Place all ingredients into a small heavy-based pan. Bring to boil and reduce to a gentle simmer for 1-2 minutes. Leave marinade to cool slightly then pour it over the pork making sure that it gets into all the slashes. Wrap in tin-foil and leave to marinate for at least five hours.
Preheat barbecue and put pork parcel on grill and cook over moderate heat for one hour and ten minutes. Remove tin-foil and cook for further twenty minutes.
Enjoy!!!!
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Post: #3   PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:01 am Reply with quote
Janie

Thanks Alan
Im always trying to think of a new way to cook these so thanks for the recipe i'll give it a go Very Happy. I'm just wondering if my 3 1/2 yr old will eat those you dont have a barbecue sauce recipe by any chance! I collect recipes so any new ones pass them my way thanks have a great day Very Happy

Post: #4   PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:55 am Reply with quote
alanmorton99

Hi Janie, Heather said that she's got loads of different recipes, all kinds. If you want to pop over, and 'steal' some then email me and we can arrange it.

Post: #5   PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:09 am Reply with quote
Janie

Thanks Alan i will see if i get a chance to Very Happy

Post: #6   PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:52 pm Reply with quote
AskCy
Pictures: 18

I like Alans recipe but I'd add a good glug or two of Worcestershire sauce !...

oddly I bought ribs today thinking of making some sort of sticky ribs but have decided to make ribs with steeped peas instead !

Post: #7   PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:52 pm Reply with quote
geordie

A simple BBQ sauce is made from mixing brown sauce with ketchup and mix in honey to as sweet as you want. Put in some smoked paprika and a slosh of Worcestershire sauce. If you want a bit a spice then a bit of tabasco or similar can be added. Vary the amounts of each ingredient to your own taste. I cook the meat in the oven, basting until nearly done before pouring off the sauce and meat juices. Finish the meat off on a BBQ while you reduce down the poured off sauce and juice before finally thickening this sauce with a cornflour slate.
Pour this over your cooked, sticky meat and enjoy… have heard that a cold beer goes well with it Very Happy

Post: #8   PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 5:21 am Reply with quote
Janie

Thanks Geordie for the recipe im going to write down both of the recipes posted and maybe make both. Just one question though Geordie where can i buy smoked paprika, im always checking out the spice aisle in the shops for that as i have some other recipes needing Very Happy that but i can never find it Very Happy

Hide These Ads? Register for Free or Login

Post: #9   PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:53 am Reply with quote
geordie

I can't tell you where to buy it in Cyprus. The reason for using this is for the smokey flavour, but if you can not find this try looking for some chipotle chillie sauce or powder. This will provide the smokey flavour and also a bit of heat.
Sorry can't help with the paprika but if I find out will let you know.

Post: #10   PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:29 pm Reply with quote
Shedman

For BBQ ribs I always use the following recipe.

300ml/10fl oz tomato ketchup
300ml/10fl oz dark soy sauce
125g/4oz runny honey
5cm/2in piece fresh ginger, peeled and minced
4 garlic cloves, minced
5 tbsp sherry
1 tsp ground star anise/ 5 spice powder
1 tbsp sweet chilli sauce
1 tbsp fresh rosemary, chopped
1.8-2.2kg/4-5lb pork spare ribs
water

1. Place the tomato ketchup in a large shallow dish with the soy sauce, honey, ginger, garlic, sherry, star anise, sweet chilli sauce and rosemary. Mix thoroughly to combine.
2. Add the ribs. If time allows, cover and chill for up to 24 hours.
3. Place ribs in a large, deep pan. You may have to cut the ribs in half to get them to fit. Pour over the tomato ketchup mixture and then add enough water to completely cover the ribs.
4. Bring to a simmer, then cook over a medium heat for 45 minutes to one hour until completely tender.
5. Preheat the grill. Remove ribs from the sauce and arrange ribs on a grill rack.
6. Place the sauce on the hob over medium heat and reduce down until it has a sticky coating consistency.
7. Place the ribs under the preheated grill for about eight minutes on each side, basting or painting the ribs with the reduced marinade occasionally. Alternatively cook on a barbecue.

It's an Anthony Worral Thompson recipe and has never failed me yet!

For belly pork to go on the BBQ (but would do for any cut of pork really) I tend to use:

3 tsp paprika
2 tsp chili powder
2 tsp ground cumin
2 tsp demerera, brown packed sugar
2 tsp salt
1 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp ground black pepper
1 tsp white pepper
1 tsp cayenne or red pepper

Add enough tomato ketchup to make this into a paste and rub it into your pork. Leave to marinate in the fridge for at least 3 hours and up to 24. Then just slap it on the BBQ! Gorgeous.

Recently married, wife knows it all...

Post: #11   PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 5:51 am Reply with quote
jenjoan

You can buy it in bottles here !!
Much easier - and leaves more time to drink the wine!

Joan Laughing Laughing
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Post: #12   PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 6:11 am Reply with quote
Janie

Thanks for all your recipes i have written them all down i will give them all a try, especially jenjoans one ha ha Very Happy

Post: #13   PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 3:44 pm Reply with quote
journo
Pictures: 17

The very simplest, most basic and very fast 'BBQ-type' marinade/sauce - and one that appeals to even the youngest children:

Tomato paste (yes, you could use ketchup)
Mustard
Sugar or honey

Mix together, fully coat spare ribs/belly/etc.

Leave to marinate.

Cook very slowly in the oven - or put them on the BBQ.

It even works if you don't leave the meat to marinate

Post: #14   PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:37 pm Reply with quote
AskCy

made mine yesterday ... roasted the pork ribs (not bacon ribs) in the oven, made the steeped peas... combined and left on a low heat until everything was soft and falling apart.... (had then twice yesterday and took some for lunch today... lol)

Post: #15   PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 5:05 pm Reply with quote
fettler

300ml tomato ketchup
300ml CocaCola
Dessert spoonful of Demerara sugar, or honey, or white sugar if it's all you've got. Stir thoroughly.

Spread out ribs in dish, add the above sauce, and marinade until you remember about them.
Place in oven at 200ish (depending on your schedule), and cook, with reasonably frequent turning and coating until the sauce thickens and the sugar caramelises.
Also good for chops, chicken wings etc.

If you get a lot of fat from whatever it is you're cooking, you may have to pour it off to allow evaporation/thickening.

Cheers

Alex

Join Us Today! Register for Free or Login

recipe 
Post: #16   PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 6:09 pm Reply with quote
Petros

1 jar of Branston /type pickle (blend) tomato sauce to taste,honey,mustard and cider,marinate well and cook.
yummy Very Happy .
Ann

Post: #17   PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 6:31 pm Reply with quote
Janie

wow i love this website so many yummy recipes to try my bacon ribs belly loin watcha ma call them will never be boring and tasteless again thank you so much everyone x Very Happy

Post: #18   PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 10:48 pm Reply with quote
dawnnett
Pictures: 1

Steve

I could have just ate that ..Mmm looked tastey
did you use the peas you soak over night
Dawn

Post: #19   PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 9:41 am Reply with quote
AskCy

yes the overnight soakers...

I usually put a little bicarb and a veg stock cube, cover with boiling water, stir in... leave over night...

Next day wash clean... then add another veg stock, top up with hot water, sprinkle of black pepper... cook slooooooowly for hours... low heat... add salt if needed...about 5 mins before serving add a big knob of butter and a splash of vinegar... (and thats only when making them as normal peas ...!.. great for fish and chips or on a sunday roast)...

Steve

Post: #20   PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 10:02 pm Reply with quote
dawnnett
Pictures: 1

Steve

How long did you roast the pork ribs for
they look melt in the mouth

Thanks Dawn
Pork Bacon ribs loin what ever you like to call them !!!! 
  Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » Cypriot Recipes & Music