Not A Member Yet? See All The Features Of The Forum By Clicking Here To Register For FREE! Or Members Login Below:

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Cyprus Eastern Forum Index
Offering Free Help, Advice, Tips & Support for those buying or living in:
Paralimni - Protaras - Pernera - Kapparis - Agia Napa - Larnaca - Oroklini - Pervolia - Kiti - Xylofagou
Vrysoulles - Frenaros - Dherynia - Sotira - Agia Thekla - Liopetri - Ormidia & surrounding areas...

Main Homepage Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Register Directory Memberlist Search

Ads By Forum Sponsors

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » Cypriot Recipes & Music » Feta dip recipe
Feta dip recipe 
Post: #1   PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:00 pm Reply with quote
LynSab
Pictures: 1

I have had a starter dip a few times with a meze at Ploumins in Sotira, its similar to egg mayonaise to look at and has eggs feta cheese and possibly chillies in it, has anyone had this or know exactly whats in it, I,ve tried the three ingredients but I,m missing something, as its not right.

Looked in my books and cannot find it either Sad Is there such a Greek dish?
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Hide These Ads? Register for Free or Login

Post: #2   PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:23 pm Reply with quote
Kwacka
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Pictures: 3

I haven't encountered this dish, but sounds good.

Have you tried asking for the recipe?

Post: #3   PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:20 pm Reply with quote
AskCy
Pictures: 18

I've had something similar in The Blue Spice in Pernera... I guessed it was something like a cream cheese that had been let down with mayo and maybe a little lemon juice, with crumbled feta added, probably a touch of garlic and salt, pepper and maybe paprika...

Haven't tried to recreate it though so can't be sure...

Post: #4   PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 2:12 am Reply with quote
LynSab

Kwacka wrote:

Yes I have Kwacka and Costas the owner smiles and says 'it has eggs and feta and possibly chillies' then says the rest is secret Sad It could be his own recipe as so far I,ve been unable to find it.

Its very moorish Very Happy

If you go to Ploumins and have the Classic Meze its one of the starter dishes, so just a small dish arrives, we have a fight to grab it Shocked

Post: #5   PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 2:30 am Reply with quote
LynSab

AskCy wrote:
I've had something similar in The Blue Spice in Pernera... I guessed it was something like a cream cheese that had been let down with mayo and maybe a little lemon juice, with crumbled feta added, probably a touch of garlic and salt, pepper and maybe paprika...

Haven't tried to recreate it though so can't be sure...

Yes we have found a recipe with just the cheese and spices in it, it contains chillies though, but no eggs. The one we have had is similar but its most definitely eggs in it. Actually I tried the mayo which gave it the wrong flavour but mixing the mayo with cream cheese might work and I never tried the garlic in it. I,ll try again Rolling Eyes Wink

One of our team tried feta and roasted peppers and again without the eggs (from a recipe book) very good it is, but not the one.

We will have to bribe Costas at Ploumins I think.

While I as searching for the recipe I found a recipe for Feta spread, which when I first came to Cyprus you could buy in the supermarket, no more though, so I will at least have that to pacify me Very Happy

Slice of village bread, spread with the Feta and a couple of slices of tomato sprinkled with black pepper, simple tasty and heaven.

Post: #6   PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:11 am Reply with quote
AskCy

LynSab wrote:
Kwacka wrote:

Yes I have Kwacka and Costas the owner smiles and says 'it has eggs and feta and possibly chillies' then says the rest is secret Sad It could be his own recipe as so far I,ve been unable to find it.

Its very moorish Very Happy

If you go to Ploumins and have the Classic Meze its one of the starter dishes, so just a small dish arrives, we have a fight to grab it Shocked

next time you go take a picture.. !... spread it out a bit.. see if you can identify things in it.... take another pic... Smile

Post: #7   PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 1:45 pm Reply with quote
AskCy

when you say eggs do you mean cooked in as a sauce or boiled and then mashed/chopped/crushed into the mix?

If the latter is it not something like good old "Egg Mayo" that you get at every party in the UK...

Boil eggs and allow to cool (put them in cold water) mix with Mayo or salad cream (or maybe mayo with some mustard and a little lemon juice)
In this case also adding chillies and feta cheese to create a whole new level ? Maybe even adding cream cheese ?

Steve

Post: #8   PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 3:22 pm Reply with quote
Maldjack
Pictures: 12

There is a Greek Dip named Galotiri Elatis, could be the one it doesn't have Egg, but give it a try.
Recipe No. 10 on the Starters, fantastic website.

www.fetamania.gr/english/index.htm

Regards
Malcolm

Hide These Ads? Register for Free or Login

Post: #9   PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 4:45 pm Reply with quote
MrsBouvier
Pictures: 28

I have had this (it is absolutely fantastic) at Kanati in Paralimni....if ever anyone find the recipe please please share it!!!

Feta dip recipe 
  Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » Cypriot Recipes & Music