Not A Member Yet? See All The Features Of The Forum By Clicking Here To Register For FREE! Or Members Login Below:

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Cyprus Eastern Forum Index
Offering Free Help, Advice, Tips & Support for those buying or living in:
Paralimni - Protaras - Pernera - Kapparis - Agia Napa - Larnaca - Oroklini - Pervolia - Kiti - Xylofagou
Vrysoulles - Frenaros - Dherynia - Sotira - Agia Thekla - Liopetri - Ormidia & surrounding areas...

Main Homepage Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Register Directory Memberlist Search

Ads By Forum Sponsors  

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » Coffee Shop Chat » UK Election Poll Goto page 1, 2  Next

UK ELECTION POLL
No ending time set.
LABOUR
18%
 18%  [ 9 ]
CONSERVATIVE
62%
 62%  [ 30 ]
LIB- DEM
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
OTHERS
16%
 16%  [ 8 ]
Total Votes Cast : 48

UK Election Poll 
Post: #1   PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 8:37 pm Reply with quote
mouse
Pictures: 1

I wonder how close the members of the board are to the recent polls in the uk!!!.

Hide These Ads? Register for Free or Login

Post: #2   PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:34 am Reply with quote
Woodrow Why?at
Pictures: 0

"None of the above"

Laughing Laughing Laughing

Post: #3   PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:02 pm Reply with quote
don
Membership Closed

UKIP Very Happy
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Post: #4   PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:51 pm Reply with quote
cansweet

I think Mr Camerons ambition (if elected) to bring in a new tax on pensions received in a country other than GB, will have a bearing on this poll. He intends to impose a 10% transfer tax on all pension monies being sent abroad. You then pay whatever tax the country you are resident in charges. Also that possible 10% will come off the gross pension amount payable. Not good news. Crying or Very sad
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Post: #5   PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:50 pm Reply with quote
DAC
Pictures: 9

cansweet wrote:
I think Mr Camerons ambition (if elected) to bring in a new tax on pensions received in a country other than GB, will have a bearing on this poll. He intends to impose a 10% transfer tax on all pension monies being sent abroad. You then pay whatever tax the country you are resident in charges. Also that possible 10% will come off the gross pension amount payable. Not good news. Crying or Very sad

I fully understand your concerns with this policy, but long term it makes sense.

Taking into account that not everyone in receipt of a pension has made any personal contributions towards it, and taking into account that a large proportion of those that live abroad who are in receipt of a pension make little, if any, contribution to the UK economy, what this proposed tax is in effect doing is to help to make that contribution to the very economy that foots the bill for the pension in the first place.

Quote:

These figures are from 2002, but taking death into account they probably haven't changed much

Government figures show that, of 900,000 UK pensioners living abroad, about 420,000 living in certain countries receive upratings while 480,000 others - including those living in South Africa, Australia, Canada and New Zealand - are the victims of frozen pensions.

Full State pension = £95.25 a week

420.000 x £95.25 = £40,005,000 per week being exported from the UK and instead of being spent in British shops is just benefiting other countries economies.

Post: #6   PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:44 pm Reply with quote
pantheman

DAC wrote:
cansweet wrote:

I fully understand your concerns with this policy, but long term it makes sense.

Taking into account that not everyone in receipt of a pension has made any personal contributions towards it, and taking into account that a large proportion of those that live abroad who are in receipt of a pension make little, if any, contribution to the UK economy, what this proposed tax is in effect doing is to help to make that contribution to the very economy that foots the bill for the pension in the first place.

Quote:

These figures are from 2002, but taking death into account they probably haven't changed much

Government figures show that, of 900,000 UK pensioners living abroad, about 420,000 living in certain countries receive upratings while 480,000 others - including those living in South Africa, Australia, Canada and New Zealand - are the victims of frozen pensions.

420.000 x £95.25 = £40,005,000 per week being exported from the UK and instead of being spent in British shops is just benefiting other countries economies.

Come on Dave, a miserly 40m. This is way countered by the thousands of overseas students in UK universities paying tens of thousands pa.

40m is a drop in the ocean. Many of the overseas pensioners were contributors in their time, it is unfair to say otherwise.

They could further counter that by the cutting lavish expenses the MPs enjoy. But no, take it from the weakest and those in the most need. pathetic if you ask me.

Post: #7   PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:46 pm Reply with quote
mouse

DAC wrote:
cansweet wrote:

Quote:

Looking at it that way, they should tax all those taking foreign holidays as they would be spending their wages earnt in the UK in other countries, helping there economies. What a load of cobblers!!! Confused

Post: #8   PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:02 pm Reply with quote
adyandkaren
Pictures: 23

Quote:
they should tax all those taking foreign holidays

They already do - and Air Passenger Duty at £11 a time is more than 10% of my flight prices for this year...

Hide These Ads? Register for Free or Login

Post: #9   PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:03 pm Reply with quote
Steve - SJD
Site Admin
Site Admin
Pictures: 55

cansweet wrote:

Hi Cansweet do you have a link to further information about this proposal please?
I have just had a quick look around and couldn't find anything myself on the net so it would be helpful. Strange as I thought it would be major news Question

Cheers

Steve

Last edited by Steve - SJD on Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:05 pm; edited 1 time in total

Post: #10   PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:04 pm Reply with quote
cansweet

Mouse,
they are already taxing people going on holidays, what do you think airport taxes are? Anyway, i'm wondering do many people think Cameron is right, or is it totally unfair? On another point, if it's going to happen, is there anything people can do to stop it? Democracy is becoming a tad dictatorial, don't you think?

Post: #11   PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:12 pm Reply with quote
cansweet

Steve,
i heard it on Sky News today. I've looked for it on the teletxt but cannot find anything. Time i heard it was aprox 2ish, and it was breaking news at the time. If i hear more i'll post it with any links.

Post: #12   PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:38 pm Reply with quote
mouse

cansweet wrote:
Mouse,
they are already taxing people going on holidays, what do you think airport taxes are? Anyway, i'm wondering do many people think Cameron is right, or is it totally unfair? On another point, if it's going to happen, is there anything people can do to stop it? Democracy is becoming a tad dictatorial, don't you think?

If its true they deserve to spend another 5 years in opposition benches. But as far as airport taxes nearly every country charges a similar amount. I believe the United States charge more than the Uk.
I would never trust the Tories never have and never will. People forget we had two recessions under their leadership and they were not world recessions like this last one.

Post: #13   PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:49 pm Reply with quote
Steve - SJD
Site Admin
Site Admin
Pictures: 55

cansweet wrote:
Steve,
i heard it on Sky News today. I've looked for it on the teletxt but cannot find anything. Time i heard it was aprox 2ish, and it was breaking news at the time. If i hear more i'll post it with any links.

Thanks Cansweet - looked on Sky and other news sites and given its
effect it would have been important news I would have thought.

So at the moment, without any futher confirmation, I will take it that it's
not on the agenda.

Cheers

Steve

Post: #14   PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:57 pm Reply with quote
572B

Steve - SJD wrote:
cansweet wrote:

Hi Cansweet do you have a link to further information about this proposal please?
I have just had a quick look around and couldn't find anything myself on the net so it would be helpful. Strange as I thought it would be major news Question

Quite so, several hours trawling the net produced nothing.

However, it would mean a gross overhaul and re-negotiation of the Govt Dual Taxation Treaty arrangements with more than 224 countries, these being the majority as stated by HMRC, but not an exhaustive list.

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/si/double.htm

And note:

"We are in the process of adding to the list of treaties shown below but in the meantime the majority of our Double Taxation Agreements remain in the Double Taxation Relief Manual."

R.

Post: #15   PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:02 pm Reply with quote
adyandkaren
Pictures: 23

General election to be called tomorrow for 6th May.
On BBC news now.

Join Us Today! Register for Free or Login

Post: #16   PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:10 pm Reply with quote
MCM Carrington
Membership Closed

Cansweet, Did Mr Darling not mumble something about it in his budget speech? he also said winter fuel payments would cease. Nasty Man.
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Post: #17   PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:16 pm Reply with quote
Woodrow Why?at

mouse wrote:
cansweet wrote:
Mouse,

If its true they deserve to spend another 5 years in opposition benches. But as far as airport taxes nearly every country charges a similar amount. I believe the United States charge more than the Uk.
I would never trust the Tories never have and never will. People forget we had two recessions under their leadership and they were not world recessions like this last one.

Kevin, as I've said previously, they should shorten their name to "Servative" as the "Con" goes without saying!!

Post: #18   PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 5:10 am Reply with quote
DAC
Pictures: 9

pantheman wrote:

Come on Dave, a miserly 40m. This is way countered by the thousands of overseas students in UK universities paying tens of thousands pa.

40m is a drop in the ocean. Many of the overseas pensioners were contributors in their time, it is unfair to say otherwise.

They could further counter that by the cutting lavish expenses the MPs enjoy. But no, take it from the weakest and those in the most need. pathetic if you ask me.

I hear what you're saying, but as other's have already said, and taken as part of a larger package of economical measure's, you multiply that £40-million by 52 weeks and that's allot of money that is going out of circulation every year.

In the UK we're taxed up to the hilt. Largely to pay for Labours 13 years of high state spending and largely to pay for the 1-million extra and often unnecessary jobs that have been created within the public sector, that in some areas of the country account for nearly 60% of the workforce. The only way to remove that liability on the state and to restore a healthy and competitive private sector is to reduce the burden that is put upon the state. Some 52% of GDP is a result of public spending, which is ridiculous.

Everyone that buys a flight or a holiday pays taxes. Everyone that buys insurance pays taxes. Everyone that spends any money whatsoever in the UK also pays taxes, so why should any one part of society be any different..? The devaluation of GBP is also a form of Stay-at-Home tax as what they are implying by doing so is that yes, if you want to go abroad then by all means do so, but when you get there your money ain't going to go as far as it used to. So by staying at home you're then helping to boost the UK economy

Look at the car scrappage scheme. By and large who benefited most from it.? South Korea. Why? Because out of the top 3 selling makes two of them were cars that are made in South Korea, Hyundai who sold almost 60,000 cars and Kia in third place who sold just over 52.000 cars. In between those two, and in second place, was Ford, who assembles not a single car in the UK, plenty of them are put together in Belgium, Spain and Germany, but none in the UK. So between those three manufacturers some 160.000 cars were built and sold as part of the grand scheme, but none of them came from factories within the UK. Why..? Same reason as why Cyprus is now suffering, as it Italy, Greece, Spain and Portugal. High costs that are driven by a high spending and reckless Government's. So to get things back on a more affordable playing field and to get the UK back into the Black, measures must be taken to boost our failing economy.

Labour, in hand with Mr King, have done everything possible to first devalue the pound and second to keep it devalued. Whenever a bit of good news comes out from the private sector and the pound climbs, Mr King then produces more governmental propaganda to kick it back down. But what changes..? Nothing. Tourist arrivals in the UK were down last year by 6% and hoteliers in the UK are still slashing prices to stay afloat. Manufacturing hasn't boomed and more to the point, probably never will.

Yes I agree that those that have retired and are now in the years that they should be enjoying shouldn't be expected to bear the brunt of it, but on the other side of the coin, had they stayed in the UK then like everyone else, they would also be paying taxes and stealth taxes which in turn all goes towards funding their own pensions.

The great Ponzi scheme that is run by every country that provides a state pension needs a constant flow of new money to pay for it. Taxes. So after 13 years of “No return to Boom and Bust” anyone that didn't see rescue measures coming needs a new pair of glasses.

But after all that try looking at it this way:

In the last 18 months how much has the GBP devalued.? 20%..? ...25%.? or is it closer to...30%.?

So if a possible new government, and in the eyes of the worlds financial markets, can implement austerity measures that will give confidence back to the markets, which in turn will/could re-establish the value of the pound to values that we were all used to, how much will that 10% tax rate really affect anyone? Because if things stay the same as they are, they're already loosing far more as a direct result of a weak pound......!

So in reality all those that live on pensions paid from the UK, under this Labour Government are already paying some 20% - 30% in taxes on their pensions. But as Labour hasn't called the devaluation a tax, no one sees it that way. But in all honesty, that's exactly what it is.

So given the choice of two, which would you rather have:

A) Staying under the current Labour regime of high governmental spending with its high debt, which in turn means a weaker and devalued Pound that is now worth some 20% - 30% less than it was?

or

B) Move to a Conservative Government that would reduce governmental debt which would boost market confidence and in turn lead to a stronger Pound that's back to the levels that we all preferred, but pay a 10% tax on exported pension's to achieve it?

So who's the nasty man now then..?

Last edited by DAC on Tue Apr 06, 2010 5:46 am; edited 2 times in total

Post: #19   PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 5:39 am Reply with quote
bromerzz

With the greater percentage of business costs and public purse spending going on wages then it doesn't take a particularly clever mind to arrive at the fact that wages and the general package of associated benefits in UK are far too high. The minimum wage must be responsible for part of that effect.
Slash wages and UK will become more competitive. The benefit would be less jonny foreigeiners striving to eneter the UK for the public purse to support. The indigenious British who are too lazy too work would remain too lazy so no change for them other than a reduction in groats to spend at Quiksave or Abduls corner shop.
Just watch the pound euro exchange rate plummet if Browns erection news is published today!! Rolling Eyes

Post: #20   PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 5:54 am Reply with quote
LynSab

I,ve asked them for an 'MP for expats' similar to other countries i.e Germany Italy and the US. Who all treat their expats much better, the expat in reciept of pension seems to be higher than has been posted. Nothing at all in the news about any tax on pensions paid abroad so far. No doubt a bit of spin you overheard, to realise a few votes as the rewards are minimal.

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/expat/emmahartley/10138481/one-in-ten-british-pensioners-is-an-expat/
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Cyprus News,Weather & Travel
UK Election Poll 
  Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » Coffee Shop Chat