Not A Member Yet? See All The Features Of The Forum By Clicking Here To Register For FREE! Or Members Login Below:

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Cyprus Eastern Forum Index
Offering Free Help, Advice, Tips & Support for those buying or living in:
Paralimni - Protaras - Pernera - Kapparis - Agia Napa - Larnaca - Oroklini - Pervolia - Kiti - Xylofagou
Vrysoulles - Frenaros - Dherynia - Sotira - Agia Thekla - Liopetri - Ormidia & surrounding areas...

Main Homepage Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Register Directory Memberlist Search

Ads By Forum Sponsors  

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » Motor Matters » Transferring Car Ownership Goto page 1, 2  Next
Transferring Car Ownership 
Post: #1   PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:24 pm Reply with quote
Steve - SJD
Site Admin
Site Admin
Pictures: 55

Hi All,

Have recently purchased a small second car privately and had to go
through the process of changing the ownership to myself. I thought it
may be helpful to put down what's needed - step by step - in case
anyone else has to do it:

1) Download the TOM 9 form from here. (with translation)

2) Complete the form using some of the info from the current log book.

3) The seller has to go to the Mukhtars office with the completed TOM 9 form.
(They will need their passport/ID card.)

4) The Mukhtar will stamp the form and sign it. (They may charge a nominal fee to do this)

5) Then take the completed & stamped TOM 9 form to the Department of Road Transport Office.
(Also take with you Insurance, MOT, Log Book, Passport/ID card.)

6) Hand over the 8.54 to the DORT and a new registration document (log book) will be issued to you.

For those in Paralimni the Mukhtar's office is opposite the EAC in the esure insurance office.

I wasn't charged at the Mukhtars office but believe it is a couple of Euros.

The DORT office for this area is on the Dherynia Industrial Estate.

You have thirty days after you complete the sale to change over the
registration or you could be fined if stopped by the Police.

There are companies that will do the above for you for a fee but thought
I may as well do it myself.

Hope that the above is helpful.

Cheers

Steve

Last edited by Steve - SJD on Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Hide These Ads? Register for Free or Login

Post: #2   PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 7:28 am Reply with quote
baileyboy
Pictures: 0

Hi Steve, Very useful information as I am trying to sell my car at the moment
Tried to find the DORT in Dherynia but without success. Was told it was at the football stadium. Could you please give me directions?
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Post: #3   PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:38 am Reply with quote
Cardiff lad
Pictures: 7

Steve, as you know I have just bought a car.

The Mukhtar charged me 20 euros but he is getting the log book done for me.

Baileyboy, the Dort is past the stadium, there is a turning off to the left and it is signposted.

Post: #4   PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:56 am Reply with quote
Steve - SJD
Site Admin
Site Admin

baileyboy wrote:
Hi Steve, Very useful information as I am trying to sell my car at the moment
Tried to find the DORT in Dherynia but without success. Was told it was at the football stadium. Could you please give me directions?

Hi - just go past the football stadium (with it on your RHS) you will see
a turning on the left for the Dherynia Industrial Estate - follow the road
into the industrial estate. It's straight ahead and is sign posted but there is
not a big sign outside the actual building. Just look for the two flags
outside and go in the side door.

HTH

Cheers

Steve

Post: #5   PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:59 am Reply with quote
Steve - SJD
Site Admin
Site Admin

Cardiff lad wrote:
The Mukhtar charged me 20 euros but he is getting the log book done for me.

Yep they can do this for you and as with the private companies there is
a fee. The DORT is on my way so it made sense to just pop in and saved
a few quid.

Cheers

Steve

Post: #6   PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:38 am Reply with quote
baileyboy

Hi Steve, Many thanks for directions.

Post: #7   PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:46 pm Reply with quote
journo
Pictures: 17

If you have a Citizen's Centre office near you they can also do the transfer.

For those nearer to Larnaka, the Centre is in the Acropolis building on the left as you drive from Larnaka Police Station towards the American Academy.

In fact they deal (very efficiently and in a very friendly manner) with just about every government interface.

Post: #8   PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:05 pm Reply with quote
MrsBouvier
Pictures: 28

Its great that someone has finally highlighted this as I am sure many sellers who are returning to the UK (and those not) are totally unaware that they have to be present for the transfer to take place...well done Steve!!!

PS - Cracking directions to the DORT in Dherynia...I take it you have finally been down there now! Wink

Hide These Ads? Register for Free or Login

Post: #9   PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:29 pm Reply with quote
journo

Just to clarify:

There is no need for the seller to be present (or even in the country) when the transfer documentation is processed.

It is essential for the sellers to ensure their mukhtar's signature/stamp is in place on the form to authenticate the seller's existence/approval, but a third party can actually then 'sell' the vehicle.

I have many colleagues who have done just that when they were left 'in charge' of a vehicle by people who moved on from Cyprus.

The buyer submits the actual transfer documentation.

Post: #10   PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:02 pm Reply with quote
Steve - SJD
Site Admin
Site Admin

MrsBouvier wrote:
PS - Cracking directions to the DORT in Dherynia...I take it you have finally been down there now! Wink

Yep - am all legal now Very Happy

Cheers

Steve

Post: #11   PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:25 am Reply with quote
Pictures: 1

Good post Steve - any chance of a sticky mods?

This was my experience when buying a car in Cyprus:-

I learnt the hard way, initially bought our 1st car from Paphos without the mukhtar's stamp, when my wife went to the mukhtar's office in Larnaca he said we had to get the seller to sign with mukhtar's stamp. I contacted the seller who printed out the TOM9 form, signed it, had it stamped and posted it - it never arrived!!! So we had to travel all the way back to Paphos meet the seller again, visit mukhtar's office present with seller, mukhtar stamped and next day we went to DORT in Larncaca - job done.

The process took weeks - it was a nightmare.

And when we bought our second car I insisted the seller meet me at the Mukhtar's office, we signed, mukhtar stamped and only then I handed over the cash. I then took the TOM9 form to DORT in Larnaca and they printed out the log book the same day - unbelievable.

My advice would be to carry out the transfer during a week day and when you know the Mukhtar is open and when DORT is open and you should be able to get it all sorted during the same day, it's a bit of a pain if your working as you need to take time off. But it will save a lot of hassle believe me.

DORT in Larnaca is on the same road as Costa Coffee, head down towards the seafront, pass Costa on the right, then DORT is on your right hand side (an official looking building). It's on a corner by the traffic lights.

Make sure you follow Steve's post you won't go wrong!

Post: #12   PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 4:00 pm Reply with quote
pantheman

Hello steve,

Seems the form T.O.M 9 has beed updated and a couple of the bits you have in the translated doc are either not there or different.

1. the age boxes the box at the top is 'Below 18 years' and the lower box ' Above 18 years' Yours show the reverse.

2. There is no 'gender' box to fill in.

3. And it would help, in the case of a GC or TC couldn't read Greek, to state the correct nationality.
You have stated 'other' where as it asks 'GC', TC', 'Other'

Just thought I would mention it in case some one gets confused.

Cheers
there must be a way SURELY 
Post: #13   PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 7:23 pm Reply with quote
keo-the-dog

Bought a scooter from someone who has returned to UK all i have is the registration document and a scribbled receipt ,,, how do i register it. Any advice appreciated.
Re: there must be a way SURELY 
Post: #14   PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 1:14 am Reply with quote
Steve - SJD
Site Admin
Site Admin

keo-the-dog wrote:
Bought a scooter from someone who has returned to UK all i have is the registration document and a scribbled receipt ,,, how do i register it. Any advice appreciated.

Hi - Sorry I am not sure what the exact procedure would be in those
circumstances - however if you pop in to the Citizen's Advice Center
in Dherynia or the Ministry of Transport office also in Dherynia then
they should be able to assist.

HTH

Cheers

Steve

Post: #15   PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 7:31 pm Reply with quote
Hamish

Recently changed ownership (myself) of our car to that of joint ownership (myself and my wife). Forms obtained from Larnaca Advice Centre, opp Carrefore including translation. As it was time also to renew the insurance I took the form along to the insurance office and a very kind lady filled them in and we went back the Advice Centre, waited our turn and paid about 19.
As they say - Simples

Hamish

Join Us Today! Register for Free or Login

Post: #16   PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 7:48 am Reply with quote
relaxer

I sold a car a couple of years ago and went with the purchaser to the DORN office .
They did it all and the purchaser paid the transfer fee.
Relaxer

Post: #17   PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 4:40 pm Reply with quote
journo

Anyone selling/buying a car in Larnaka can now get everything authorised/completed/stamped/transferred at the Citizen's Service desk in Larnaka's main Post Office. That includes a reprint for a mislaid Log Book. When Buyer and Seller are both present, with their photo ID, there is no need for a Mukhtar's stamp either.

Post: #18   PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 8:44 am Reply with quote
Fuss

Can ownership of a car be transferred at the citizen advice centre in derynia?
Do you only need photo ID of both parties ?

Post: #19   PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 8:12 am Reply with quote
Hamish

Yes they do. You can get the forms there and they will take your photo as well.

Post: #20   PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 6:30 pm Reply with quote
paperdolly

please can someone clarify for larnaca... do I go to Aradippou transport department to change ownership once I've sold the car or do I go to the citizens center opposite carrefour?
Transferring Car Ownership 
  Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » Motor Matters