Not A Member Yet? See All The Features Of The Forum By Clicking Here To Register For FREE! Or Members Login Below:

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Cyprus Eastern Forum Index
Offering Free Help, Advice, Tips & Support for those buying or living in:
Paralimni - Protaras - Pernera - Kapparis - Agia Napa - Larnaca - Oroklini - Pervolia - Kiti - Xylofagou
Vrysoulles - Frenaros - Dherynia - Sotira - Agia Thekla - Liopetri - Ormidia & surrounding areas...

Main Homepage Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Register Directory Memberlist Search

Ads By Forum Sponsors

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » Moving Diaries » my move
my move 
Post: #1   PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:33 am Reply with quote
Duncan MacDonald
Pictures: 0

Hello all
Before I start My move, I would like to thank all comments made by the forum by members, the information supplied has been most helpful, long may it continue.
It all started many years ago with the comment, when I retire I would like to move abroad and enjoy a little sunshine which is sadly lacking in the uk, every time we get a holiday it always seems to be bad weather , good weather seems to be reserved for the working week.
I never thought of Cyprus until my better half joined a friend house hunting in Cyprus, from then on we looked at Cyprus as a destination. Having never been to Cyprus I was surprised how it was like Britain, but with sunshine every day. I found the people very friendly, eg: we walked into a shop just to browse around and feel the air con, we were greeted with hello would you like a drink of orange juice, that done it for me,
The Uk is getting worse, costs and taxes the working man gets hammered all the time, the weather this past year has not being to good, so I looked at early retirement and how to earn a living in Cyprus.
We bought an apartment in xylophagou, delivery date June 2009, we were all excited then delay after delay by the developers. Which meant, all our plans had to be put on hold. Now that the apartment is ready (I hope) we will be arriving in Cyprus on April 10th 2010.
I must admit it has not been plain sailing after doing all the costing we decided to buy all our furniture hear in the uk, buying from photos is not the same as seeing it direct, plus it seemed cheaper to buy in uk at the xmas sales than Cyprus package deals. The money we saved paid for the container.
We have lived with two homes in one for 12 months. Now that the furniture is on the high seas our home seems empty now, its been a head ache getting rid of 30 years of rubbish you seem to collect I can now see from one end of the loft to the other, the old story applies I just might need that. So up it goes in the loft never to see day light again, my policy now is if you donít use it in 6 months, you will never use it, so out it goes.
Question after question enters your head, what if, how do you, how will I find that out. To answer this the forum has been a god send,
If you want to move, do your research, then do some more, if in doubt rent and check out the area you want to move to as it may not be for you, there is a big difference being a holiday family and a resident.
Stress, be prepared for a lot of it, youíll be surprised how much there is to organise, in the uk everything is in the fast lane in Cyprus they have only two speeds dead slow and stop, so be prepared for a lot of frustration. Family ties are a big thing you can plan plan plan, then when it comes to telling loved ones, hell breaks loose, Iím going, then Iím not, wobblers are the flavour of the day, and it gets worse as the moving day gets closer no kidding when we meet up with you lovely people youíll never believe Iím only 21.
Organising your move. when I started I got plenty of information prices and costs from members then the shipping agents, changed the way you cost out the RoRo the costs of containers, storeys of problems with your items going missing things get broken.
I found it easy to pack all our own items then one phone call to Trevor (Kypros Shipping) cheapest by far. He worked out what my best option was then gave me a price. Because of the costs of RoRo it was just as cheap to put everything in a container. All I had to do is hire a truck fill it with all our furniture drive to loading depot, vehicles were driven down following me. Load everything in the container plus vehicle, the container was sealed then off it when to the docks. Gave Trevor copy of docs for the car and inventory list it all took an hour then we were on our way home.
When we arrive in Cyprus someone will contact me the all I have to do is be waiting for the container to arrive at the apartment to be off loaded. You only get 2hrs to off load a 20ft container and 3 hrs for a 40 ft. If your home is on an upper level try to arrange for a cherry picker costs vary from around 40 euros upwards
I contacted Foda (Agent in Cyprus) to process the vehicles when I arrive we will sign docs then she will take vehicle have it taxed, tested and number plates takes about a week. I know people want to do everything themselves but to have a hassle free process Fodaís the person.
There is still a lot to learn about what processes you have to do to get set up in Cyprus, and learning to get from one place to another, so that I can apply my trade as a plumber.
I know the people on the forum will continue to help all those that seek their advice
Thatís it so far, if people want to contact me through the forum for further advice fell free.
Looking forward to meeting up and making new and lasting friends.
Duncan and Christine
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Hide These Ads? Register for Free or Login

Post: #2   PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:43 am Reply with quote
Steve - SJD
Site Admin
Site Admin
Pictures: 55

Hi Duncan & Christine,

Lovely to read your Moving Diary and just would like to take this opportunity
to wish you both all the best with the move!!

I very much hope that you enjoy life here in Cyprus - as we do - and please
do keep us updated as to how things are going.

Best Wishes

Steve
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Post: #3   PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 4:22 pm Reply with quote
May Wallace
Pictures: 9

Hi there

Good luck with your move.

Hopefully I will be in your position in 2 years Very Happy

Keep us up to date with the goings on

May Wink

Post: #4   PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:17 am Reply with quote
Jacs
Pictures: 6

Hi Duncan and Christine,
Hope you settle well and enjoy your lives in Cyprus.
We hope it will be us one day, just need to sell this house.

We wish you all that you have dreamed of and more.
Good luck.
Jacqui

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » Moving Diaries