Not A Member Yet? See All The Features Of The Forum By Clicking Here To Register For FREE! Or Members Login Below:

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Cyprus Eastern Forum Index
Offering Free Help, Advice, Tips & Support for those buying or living in:
Paralimni - Protaras - Pernera - Kapparis - Agia Napa - Larnaca - Oroklini - Pervolia - Kiti - Xylofagou
Vrysoulles - Frenaros - Dherynia - Sotira - Agia Thekla - Liopetri - Ormidia & surrounding areas...

Main Homepage Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Register Directory Memberlist Search

Ads By Forum Sponsors

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » Moving Diaries » Moving Diaries Goto page 1, 2  Next
Moving Diaries 
Post: #1   PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 2:19 pm Reply with quote
Steve - SJD
Site Admin
Site Admin
Pictures: 55

Hi all,

After suggestions from members (Thanks Ruth and all others) have
started this new section for those members moving to Cyprus who
want to create a moving diary.

Simply create a new Topic called for instance - [Your Name] Moving Diary
and post replies and updates of your progress as and when you have the time.
Just as some suggestions your diary could cover leaving work,
selling your property, packing, saying goodbye, the journey, arrival,
setting up a new home etc. Really it's up to you what thoughts and
experiences you put down.

It will be a good account of your moving to Cyprus journey and will be
helpful and interesting to those members following in your footsteps.
I know I will find it interesting to see how you all get on and it will
probably focus my mind as I can be a little disorganised Wink

I look forward to reading your postings and following your journeys!

Cheers

Steve

Last edited by Steve - SJD on Wed Nov 14, 2007 1:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Hide These Ads? Register for Free or Login

Post: #2   PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 4:35 pm Reply with quote
Steve - SJD
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hi all,

What are your thoughts on general replies in members moving diaries threads?

Should we leave them soley for the diary messages?
Should we pass only minimal comment?
Should we just chat as normal on them?

Let me know your thoughts please.

Cheers

Steve
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Post: #3   PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 5:17 pm Reply with quote
Elizavet
Pictures: 6

Sorry, about that did not realise , Embarassed just wanted to give a bit off support Embarassed I suppose the decision would be up to whose diary it is

Post: #4   PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 6:11 pm Reply with quote
Steve - SJD
Site Admin
Site Admin

Elizabeth,

No need to apologise - I wasn't saying we shouldn't have posted replies (as I have done)
- as it's new am just asking for members thoughts on whether in the future we should or not.

Cheers

Steve

Post: #5   PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 8:15 pm Reply with quote
bromerzz
Pictures: 0

I beleive the postings should be restricted to the Diary keeper and no one else.
Very quickly they are likely to be full of congratulations, we live next door, lovely village, we have a luxury villa in the next village, you are paying too much for removals and so on type comments so it will lose the concept of a diary and become just another thread which will lose its way and go off track
As a ....view all posts since last visit...reader....too many threads get overdone with the back slapping posts. IMHO of course.

Post: #6   PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 8:26 pm Reply with quote
Elizavet

Steve#

Where has the delete button gone?

[Edit: It's still there Very Happy It does go though once you get replies to your posting.]

Post: #7   PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 10:11 pm Reply with quote
kipper889
Pictures: 5

Thanks Steve, What kept you. at last, Wink I think this section could be most useful.

It should certainly not be left to the 'original diary poster'

Far too daunting and lonely to have a thread all to themselves.

A moving diary is probably the most useful thread to those thinking of doing the same and they should be able to ask relevent questions from those that are going through the process.

I'm sure the movers would be happy to pass on their experiences.

The diaries should be allowed to expand with questions asked from those who are contemplating the move.

Very happy Ruth Laughing

Post: #8   PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 8:47 am Reply with quote
Elizavet

kipper889 wrote:
Thanks Steve, What kept you. at last, Wink I think this section could be most useful.

It should certainly not be left to the 'original diary poster'

Far too daunting and lonely to have a thread all to themselves.

A moving diary is probably the most useful thread to those thinking of doing the same and they should be able to ask relevent questions from those that are going through the process.

I'm sure the movers would be happy to pass on their experiences.

The diaries should be allowed to expand with questions asked from those who are contemplating the move.

Very happy Ruth Laughing

I agree with your thoughts, I have been waiting to hear how things have progressed with Big Al and Ruth and was so happy for them that they can now get back to their plans for the move to Cyprus.

I do think it will be the movers decison if they want postings added to their diaries,

Hide These Ads? Register for Free or Login

Post: #9   PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 3:26 am Reply with quote
Steve - SJD
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hi,

Thanks for your thoughts!

I think there is some merit to both having responses on the moving
diaries thread and also to just keeping them just as you would a diary.
Less chat would make for easier reading but I agree there are times
when you want to ask a question or offer support.

Anyone else have a view on this?

Cheers

Steve

Post: #10   PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 8:09 am Reply with quote
May Wallace
Pictures: 9

Hi Steve

This is a difficult one .

Maybe the replies to the posts dont need to be too long unless a specific question is being asked.

But I think that posting replies to the posts possibly makes the person see that people are thinking of them and wish them well and sometimes sympathise with any troubling times that they have had and give them encouragement.

May Wink

Post: #11   PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 10:30 pm Reply with quote
bigal
Pictures: 1

Hi Steve

I was delighted to receive replies to our first diary entry Its nice to get messages of support & encouragement.

I hope people will understand if posts don't appear regularly - as most people know sometimes the moving process can be very long winded & in our case we have Allans rehab to consider before we sign on the dotted line.

Elizavet - Thankyou so much for your kind words. I am pleased to report that Allan is recovering well. He's taking short walks & managing stairs.

Ruth & Bigal Very Happy

Post: #12   PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 6:06 am Reply with quote
Elizavet

bigal wrote:
Hi Steve

I was delighted to receive replies to our first diary entry Its nice to get messages of support & encouragement.

I hope people will understand if posts don't appear regularly - as most people know sometimes the moving process can be very long winded & in our case we have Allans rehab to consider before we sign on the dotted line.

Elizavet - Thankyou so much for your kind words. I am pleased to report that Allan is recovering well. He's taking short walks & managing stairs.

Ruth & Bigal Very Happy

Hi Ruth and Big Al
Your priorites at this time is Big Als recuperation and to look after yourself off course Smile but we will look forward to any updates on your progress towards your move to Cyprus, Take care both of you

Post: #13   PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 7:07 am Reply with quote
contrarymary
Pictures: 0

Hi Steve,

I think it might be a good idea, if anybody is interested of course, if all the moving diaries, as long as nobody objects, could be put in some sort of book and go around the forum, they are all very interesting and could help some people with their moving. Some people could miss some of the topics as I have done sometimes.

Blondes are intelligent

Post: #14   PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 9:11 am Reply with quote
bigal

Hi Steve

A further thought. A wildlife forum I belong to has a monthly diary section written by a member who is involved in a large wildlife project. The diary entries themself are "locked" but a sub section (called "your space") is available for members comments, questions etc.

Could the moving diaries be done in a similar way? That way the individual members moving diaries will follow on (flow) but everyone can join in & ask questions etc.

Just a thought

Ruth

p.s great to see more diaries appearing

Post: #15   PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 1:00 pm Reply with quote
Steve - SJD
Site Admin
Site Admin

bigal wrote:
Hi Steve

A further thought. A wildlife forum I belong to has a monthly diary section written by a member who is involved in a large wildlife project. The diary entries themself are "locked" but a sub section (called "your space") is available for members comments, questions etc.

Could the moving diaries be done in a similar way? That way the individual members moving diaries will follow on (flow) but everyone can join in & ask questions etc.

Just a thought

Ruth

p.s great to see more diaries appearing

Ruth - Thanks for the suggestion!

Unfortunately I can't do sub-sections but have thought of a way around
it that should satisy both sides.

So to enable the diaries to flow and for easier reading the Moving Diaries
will have two parts - The Moving Diary itself & a Your comments thread
per diary.

I'll do it now as it will be easier to see than explain Smile

Cheers

Steve

Join Us Today! Register for Free or Login

Post: #16   PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 1:13 pm Reply with quote
Steve - SJD
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hi again,

Ok anyone wanting to start a Diary please go ahead - I will create
the Your Comments part for you and also make your Diary thread a
sticky.

HTH

Cheers

Steve

Post: #17   PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 6:11 pm Reply with quote
May Wallace
Pictures: 9

Hi Steve

I thought I had lost a page in the black hole when I read the Moving Diaries Laughing Laughing

Will now look out for this comment page ,

May Wink

Post: #18   PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 6:34 pm Reply with quote
Steve - SJD
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hi May,

To make it easier all the Diaries are at the top of the section and
all the comment threads are below them.

Hopefully it's a good way of doing it.

HTH

Cheers

Steve

Post: #19   PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 6:43 pm Reply with quote
bigal

Hi Steve

I think the new layout will work really well - Thanks. Smile

This is going to make me sound really thick but how does a "sticky" work? Will only certain people be able to access the threads? When we want to add a new installment to our diary can we add to our first post or do we start a new one?

Sorry its just that I've only seen "stickys" on your important announcements Embarassed Embarassed

Ruth

Post: #20   PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 6:50 pm Reply with quote
Steve - SJD
Site Admin
Site Admin

Ruth,

No problem with the questions and glad you like the format!

You can add postings just as normal to the threads - I just make them
sticky which puts them to the top - as they are important Smile

So yes please feel free to post replies to your original thread and then
it should all flow. Hopefully at the end people will have a complete journal
of their big move - be good to look back at in months to come and also
will make for good reading for those contemplating/in the process of
moving.

HTH

Cheers

Steve
Moving Diaries 
  Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » Moving Diaries