Not A Member Yet? See All The Features Of The Forum By Clicking Here To Register For FREE! Or Members Login Below:

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Cyprus Eastern Forum Index
Offering Free Help, Advice, Tips & Support for those buying or living in:
Paralimni - Protaras - Pernera - Kapparis - Agia Napa - Larnaca - Oroklini - Pervolia - Kiti - Xylofagou
Vrysoulles - Frenaros - Dherynia - Sotira - Agia Thekla - Liopetri - Ormidia & surrounding areas...

Main Homepage Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Register Directory Memberlist Search

Ads By Forum Sponsors

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » Coffee Shop Chat » Countdown to smoking ban Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22  Next
Post new topic  This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.   View previous topic : View next topic 
Countdown to smoking ban 
Post: #1   PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 6:52 am Reply with quote
LynSab
Pictures: 1

http://famagusta-gazette.com/default.asp?smenu=69&sdetail=9970

FAMAGUSTA GAZETTE 08.DEC.09
On 1 January, Cyprus will become the latest European country to ban smokers from public places.

Smoking is currently banned in all public places including entertainment venues, government buildings and on public transport, but has yet to be enforced by authorities.

It is also banned in private cars carrying passengers under 16, but remains regulated in workplaces.

As of next month the police have said they are ready to implement the new law.

An information campaign to tell the public just what they can and cannot do has been published, with reminders to business leaders and those in the hospitality sectors that the ban will be enforced.

Smokers will be allowed one last puff on New Years Eve, when police said they will NOT be looking for offenders.
- Copyright Famagusta Gazette 2009

Well its going to cause a few upsets but it,ll be a bumpy ride I imagine Rolling Eyes

Has anyone seen the info campaign yet?

One or two countries are starting to revoke the ban

http://www.guardian.co.uk/theobserver/2009/nov/29/world-lens-zagreb-ballet-smoking
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Hide These Ads? Register for Free or Login

Post: #2   PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 7:45 am Reply with quote
Andrew Brooks
Pictures: 0

I back the Cypriots to follow the Balkans. The tourist, bar, cafe sector, is already in decline. If people are not allowed to smoke inside when it is cold outside, the smokers simply won't go out and they are probably in the majority of people who go to these places. When businesses are closing for the winter in ever increasing numbers, the Cypriots will follow the Balkans.
Trust me.

I do agree with smoking bans in enclosed public places but private businesses should have the right to decide one way or the other and clearly display their status as a smoking or non smoking establishment.
The H&S Gestapo won't like it of course.
Once the Cypriots see the ban is hitting them in the pocket they will rebel, that's if they take much notice in the first place.
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Post: #3   PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 9:33 am Reply with quote
Woodrow Why?at

Andrew Brooks wrote:
I back the Cypriots to follow the Balkans. The tourist, bar, cafe sector, is already in decline. If people are not allowed to smoke inside when it is cold outside, the smokers simply won't go out and they are probably in the majority of people who go to these places. When businesses are closing for the winter in ever increasing numbers, the Cypriots will follow the Balkans.
Trust me.

I do agree with smoking bans in enclosed public places but private businesses should have the right to decide one way or the other and clearly display their status as a smoking or non smoking establishment.
Once the Cypriots see the ban is hitting them in the pocket they will rebel, that's if they take much notice in the first place.

May I refer the honourable gentleman to the reply I gave some months ago!
Wink Wink Laughing Laughing

Post: #4   PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 9:46 am Reply with quote
Andrew Brooks

Woodrow Why?at wrote:
Andrew Brooks wrote:
Trust me.

May I refer the honourable gentleman to the reply I gave some months ago!
Wink Wink Laughing Laughing

You may......... Rolling Eyes
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Post: #5   PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 10:33 am Reply with quote
Kwacka
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Pictures: 3

Time to move on - the time for discussion has gone; the law has been passed and will come into force on Jan 1st.

Whether individuals will want to risk a fine of up to 2000, and whether bar owners will decide to also risk the same fine by allowing them to smoke only time will tell.

Post: #6   PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 10:57 am Reply with quote
MCM Carrington
Membership Closed

I think Spain have got the balance right, and Cyprus should follow suit, business's should have the choice to allow smoking or not, or a smoking area, then people can choose whether to use these places, or go to a place where there is no smoking, otherwise tourism will gointo further decline. However, I agree that the Cypriots will rebel, and do precisely what they like.

Post: #7   PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:44 am Reply with quote
cypruslover

Sounds a daft question I know but will the ban extend to beaches. I am a light smoker and I hope a considerate one and I do enjoy my cigarette and frappe on the beach.
Smoking Ban 
Post: #8   PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:53 am Reply with quote
cansweet

In the future,if staff from those establishments develop cancer or smoke related illnesses, they can sue the owners, that is the big legal elephant in the room. Also, not all people visiting those places are smokers, and don't wish smoke, or it's smells invading their space. They said in Ireland that it wouldn't work, well it has, with almost 100% compliance rates. Non smokers were very fast in alerting the relevant authorities if people were smoking, and that put an end to it. Ok, trade went down in those places, but everyone now agrees it was a small price to pay for fresh air. Thankfully it also got me off the dreaded cancer sticks, now when i get near someone who smokes, i can't believe how terrible i smelt.

Hide These Ads? Register for Free or Login

Post: #9   PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 12:02 pm Reply with quote
Kwacka
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Pictures: 3

cypruslover wrote:
Sounds a daft question I know but will the ban extend to beaches. I am a light smoker and I hope a considerate one and I do enjoy my cigarette and frappe on the beach.

Beaches and all other open spaces are not covered under the law.

Post: #10   PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 2:42 pm Reply with quote

Bring on smirting I say Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Best thing they ever did in the UK- I can't wait!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smirting

Post: #11   PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 6:00 pm Reply with quote
geof j
Pictures: 2

Ban smoking on beaches i say! half way thru the summer its like walking thru an ashtray cos too many smokers stub out in the sand. Mad

Post: #12   PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 9:12 pm Reply with quote
contrarymary

Luckily I dont smoke anymore, I quit when I had my stroke but I dont think it is fair on smokers that they have to go out in the cold and wet.

Blondes are intelligent

Post: #13   PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 8:15 am Reply with quote
Andrew Brooks

MCM Carrington wrote:
I think Spain have got the balance right, and Cyprus should follow suit, business's should have the choice to allow smoking or not, or a smoking area, then people can choose whether to use these places, or go to a place where there is no smoking, otherwise tourism will gointo further decline. However, I agree that the Cypriots will rebel, and do precisely what they like.

Fat too pragmatic for most nations to adopt. Employees of smoking establishments also have the choice whether to work there or not. Surprising as it may be to the H&Safety gestapo supporters, many workers would choose to work in the smoking bars because they enjoy a smoke with a drink themselves.

Post: #14   PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 8:39 am Reply with quote
LynSab

Glad to see that we are not going down the path of smokers or non smokers Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Thankyou all for your restraint.

I would just ask what people feel will happen with this ban in Cyprus say six months later?

I notice Greece start the ban on the same date.

The ban in the Netherlands stops tobacco smoking indoors but not marijuana which now has to be smoked 'pure' indoors without tobacco Rolling Eyes

Post: #15   PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 9:01 am Reply with quote
Andrew Brooks

LynSab wrote:
Glad to see that we are not going down the path of smokers or non smokers Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Thankyou all for your restraint.

I would just ask what people feel will happen with this ban in Cyprus say six months later?

The ban in the Netherlands stops tobacco smoking indoors but not marijuana which now has to be smoked 'pure' indoors without tobacco Rolling Eyes

Laughing Trust the Dutch to come up with that one,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, can just see the enforcers ripping joints apart to search for tobacco ! Laughing

Join Us Today! Register for Free or Login

Post: #16   PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 11:33 am Reply with quote
DAC
Pictures: 9

Andrew Brooks wrote:

You must be kidding, allow people to make their own decisions....? You're having a laugh mate..!

The Blanket smoking ban in the UK is systematically killing the Pub Trade, It's killing the Bingo Trade and it's also causing long term Health and Social issues amongst the ever expanding population. The government will never admit it and, I dare say that they will have to pay one of their multi-million pound group of advisor's to see it, but in the next 10-20 years the problems are going to become obvious.

Young Children don't have a choice about where their parents, relatives and friends smoke.
Young Children will grow up watching their parents, relatives and friends gambling on-line.
Young Children will grow up watching their parents, relatives and friends drinking heavily in the home.
Young Children will grow up in a house hold where all of the above are seen as normal.

Young Children will grow up seeing their parents, relatives and friends do all of these things. They will not only be subjected to excessive passive smoking, but they will also be subjected to the harm that excessive indulgence of drinking and gambling does and more to the point, they will not know any different and will think that such activity is perfectly normal.

Whereas, had a more balanced approach have been taken, the people that used to go the Pub, Bingo or Bookies would have carried out their activities within the confines of those premises and would therefore not be subjecting their children to it as they will be at home.

Adults have a choice, young Children don't.

Post: #17   PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 11:37 am Reply with quote
PepsiCan

LynSab wrote:

I don't know where you got this information but I lived in Amsterdam till 6 months ago and it is not true. The coffee shop needs to have a provision in place that allows staff to work without them getting into touch with second hand smoke. So, many now have special smoking rooms and the bar area is cornered off from the rest of the building, just as is the case for regular bars/cafes.

The smoking law is wishy washy though because it does not fine the person who lights the cigar/cigarette, but only fines the owner of the establishment.

Post: #18   PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 11:37 am Reply with quote
Deanna
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Ah, but Dave you don't see the long-term plan; there will be cctv in your home, linked to government officials, and 'smoke detector' will no longer be a gadget on the ceiling to keep you safe!

Post: #19   PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 11:44 am Reply with quote
DAC
Pictures: 9

Deanna wrote:
and 'smoke detector' will no longer be a gadget on the ceiling to keep you safe!

That won't be required. The chip that was inserted into the back of your neck at birth will detect the carbon from the cigarette as soon as you inhale. Plus, once you've drunk your daily allowance of alcoholic units the drinks cabinet will automatically lock.

All in the name of Counter Terrorism of course.

Post: #20   PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 12:06 pm Reply with quote
Richard.G

DAC wrote:
Andrew Brooks wrote:

You must be kidding, allow people to make their own decisions....? You're having a laugh mate..!

The Blanket smoking ban in the UK is systematically killing the Pub Trade, It's killing the Bingo Trade and it's also causing long term Health and Social issues amongst the ever expanding population. The government will never admit it and, I dare say that they will have to pay one of their multi-million pound group of advisor's to see it, but in the next 10-20 years the problems are going to become obvious.

Young Children don't have a choice about where their parents, relatives and friends smoke.
Young Children will grow up watching their parents, relatives and friends gambling on-line.
Young Children will grow up watching their parents, relatives and friends drinking heavily in the home.
Young Children will grow up in a house hold where all of the above are seen as normal.

Young Children will grow up seeing their parents, relatives and friends do all of these things. They will not only be subjected to excessive passive smoking, but they will also be subjected to the harm that excessive indulgence of drinking and gambling does and more to the point, they will not know any different and will think that such activity is perfectly normal.

Whereas, had a more balanced approach have been taken, the people that used to go the Pub, Bingo or Bookies would have carried out their activities within the confines of those premises and would therefore not be subjecting their children to it as they will be at home.

Adults have a choice, young Children don't.

I'm reminded of an item I once happened to see (why I don't know because I don't watch it) on The Jeremy Kyle Show. It was a mother who was telling her daughter of her relief at finding out she hadn't got lung cancer after all but had ONLY got to have her leg amputated because of her smoking habit. Laughing
The most amusing part of the item was that she just didn't see why her daughter wasn't as pleased as she was.
Countdown to smoking ban 
  Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » Coffee Shop Chat