Not A Member Yet? See All The Features Of The Forum By Clicking Here To Register For FREE! Or Members Login Below:

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Cyprus Eastern Forum Index
Offering Free Help, Advice, Tips & Support for those buying or living in:
Paralimni - Protaras - Pernera - Kapparis - Agia Napa - Larnaca - Oroklini - Pervolia - Kiti - Xylofagou
Vrysoulles - Frenaros - Dherynia - Sotira - Agia Thekla - Liopetri - Ormidia & surrounding areas...

Main Homepage Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Register Directory Memberlist Search

Ads By Forum Sponsors

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » Doctors / Hospitals / Health & Medicines » DENTIST required? Oroklini? Goto page 1, 2  Next
DENTIST required? Oroklini? 
Post: #1   PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 10:19 pm Reply with quote
George_in_UK
Pictures: 0

Hi

I am a dentist currently practicing in Leighton Buzzard, Bedfordshire.

I was brought up and trained in South Africa, and moved to the UK in 1993.

I am now moving with my wife and 4 young children to Cyprus to be closer to our family who live in Larnaca and Nicosia. (In August this year)

I am looking to set up a new dental practice and I am considering several locations. My favourite at this point is in Oroklini, and I wanted to get an opinion or two if there is a big enough demand for a dentist there. As far as I am aware, there is no dentist in the village, or nearby.

I do general dentistry, and have also built up a decent reputation in my area as a cosmetic dentist.

I would really appreciate any feedback on this as it's a very difficult decision which I hope to get right. My wife and I are really stressed about the move given the current economic climate as well.

Thank you.

George Antoniades
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Hide These Ads? Register for Free or Login

Post: #2   PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 6:34 am Reply with quote
Chris Mooney

Hi
good luck with your move and business plans. As far as i know there is no dentist in Oroklini, there is a very good dentist in the next village, Pyla. We use a dentist in Larnaca who came highly recommended.
So there appears to be a gap in the market for your plans to succeed but a lot will depend on you. Your reputation will develop mainly via word of mouth. there is a large Ex-pat community in Oroklini who are used, now, to the prices a Cypriot dentist will charge so you would need to leave behind the fantasy charges from the UK and be either cheaper than or comparable to a Cypriot dentist.

HTH

Chris

Post: #3   PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 7:58 am Reply with quote
George_in_UK

Hi again.

Thank you for your feedback. I appreciate it.

I do think I'm going to give it a try. Will be in Oroklini soon and will see if I can rent something.

Regarding prices, I know that they are well below UK prices. So they should be really. From my research so far, overheads are a lot lower in Cyprus for a dentist than all the red tape we have to go through in the UK. The Cyprus Dental Council has a price list which I'll be getting when I'm out there. This move to Cyprus has nothing to do with money though. Obviously I have to earn a living, but the reason is mainly for a better quality of life for our children.

Thanks again. Will post on this later if I find a place to rent.

Regards

George
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Post: #4   PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 7:06 pm Reply with quote
Toothfairy

George-in-uk
I have just spotted your post on here and wonder if I could help you at all.
I am a qualified DN( Dundee) and EDH(Glasgow) and have been living in Cyprus for 17 months now for exactly the same reasons you want to move out.

None of the dentists here have even heard of a hygienist let alone what we do! or the benefits..to pts and/or business.

If you need any help at all setting up your surgery before or after you arrive in Cyprus, please just email me

Gill

Post: #5   PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 5:01 pm Reply with quote
George_in_UK

Hi Gill

Thanks for getting in touch.
I also saw your other comments about the dentist you observed for two days. Unbelievable! No wonder he didn't have a nurse. He probably didn't really want anybody to see how he worked!

I actually got back from Cyprus this morning. I popped over for 4 days, and I actually managed to secure a rental property in Oroklini for my practice. I think it's in a brilliant location. I got pretty lucky (blessed) I think. A three bedroom bungalow (pink!!) in the middle of the high street very close to the pharmacy and Bank of Cyprus. Also has loads of parking on an empty plot adjacent as well as opposite.

We are moving to Cyprus at the end of July and I hope to open the practice towards the end of September - maybe earlier, but I think things don't move too fast in Cyprus so I must be a little patient.

I am nervous and excited at the same time about everything. I just hope it goes okay. A little worried.

It will be great to get in touch with you for some advice, etc when I'm over end of July. Where do you live? We actually have a small place in Pervolia so I'll have a bit of a commute to work but I don't mind it. We got the 2 older boys in the village school there so they are a bit nervous for the Greek but I hope the'll pick it up.

Look forward to meeting you at some point.

George

PS: If you know Oroklini and know roughly where the property is, let me know what you think.

Post: #6   PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 6:04 am Reply with quote
leoni

Hi George

Can I be the first to put my name on your list? (Leoni Pitman)
So do I get priority being the first!

Good luck and look forward to meeting you and seeing your business open.

Leoni

Post: #7   PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 6:24 am Reply with quote
dixie

Good luck from me too. I will also be one of the first as I live and work in the village it would be really convenient for me.

Let us all know when you are set up.

Dixie.
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Post: #8   PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 5:32 pm Reply with quote
George_in_UK

Thanks Leoni and Dixie

Appreciate it.

Look forward to meeting you soon.

George

Hide These Ads? Register for Free or Login

Post: #9   PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 6:12 pm Reply with quote
Toothfairy

Hi George,

Sounding good...cant believe you managed to get things secured in just 4 days...the Greek Gods must be watching lol

We are in Frenaros..at the opposite end of the motorway to Pervolia but pop down to Oroklini regularly..one of the forum sponsors has a shop there and of course the market on a Sunday. Being a typical female will head off for a nosey.

How old are the boys? My 3yr old started 'school' in Feb and now understands her teachers fluently in Greek and will happily talk to them all morning in Greek until I arrive then reverts to English only! Its fantastic how adaptable kids are with languages and before long they will be teaching you.

As I said to tinkerbell before, it will be good to talk shop again with someone without them passing out lol

Good luck with the move..if you are shipping a container bring EVERYTHING with you...check out the other advice in the moving section...wish I had seen it before we moved.

Take care

Gill

Post: #10   PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 4:47 pm Reply with quote
anna007

Hi, I am in Livadia next door, and would certainly join your practise when you start as will my daughter.
We will pass the word around.Good Luck
Anna

Post: #11   PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 10:33 pm Reply with quote
George_in_UK

Thanks very much Anna.

I really appreciate that.

Post: #12   PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 6:55 am Reply with quote
dixie

Just out of interest George, will you be doing teeth whitening as well.

Dixie.

Post: #13   PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 2:48 pm Reply with quote
George_in_UK

Hi Dixie

I will definitely be doing teeth whitening. I do that a lot here. I was worried that there wasn't really a demand for it in Cyprus which I was a little sad about because I love doing some cosmetic dentistry.

I'm actually bringing quite a few gadgets with me. I'm hoping to get a website up and running in the next month or so which will give a bit more info of some of things I do ..

Kind regards

George

Post: #14   PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 6:41 am Reply with quote
dixie

Thanks George, that's great news.

Dixie.
dentist in orklini 
Post: #15   PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 1:03 pm Reply with quote
shrek2210

hi george

just a quick note to wish you all the best with your practice out here.will havve to come and see you and maybe have my family treated there(wife and 2 kids)like i say,all the best with your new venture.i worked in the dental industry for 12 years,making dentures,left about 8 years ago.had considered returing but not sure about the lab structure out here.

all the best

shrek2210

Join Us Today! Register for Free or Login

Post: #16   PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 8:47 am Reply with quote
George_in_UK

Hi Shrek2210

Thanks very much.

We're leaving the UK in 4 weeks and we're getting increasingly nervous. We have a settled life here. Good practice, kids happy in school, good friends, and now it's all going to be up in the air for at least the next two years. I hope that in two - three years time it will all be okay and settled in Cyprus. But for now, it's pretty stressful.

I appreciate your good wishes and I look forward to meeting you when I'm over.

Kind regards

George
dentist in orklini 
Post: #17   PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 8:54 am Reply with quote
shrek2210

hi george

not long now.im sure your wife and kids will be fine here.mine are,and i work away 6 weeks at a time and am home for 3.they cope great.at least you will be home every night.we do not regret moving over.the kids love it,able to be outside all the time.my daughter is in an excellant little school in xylofagou.hope the move goes well and anything i can do to help once here just get intouch.

shrek2210

Post: #18   PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 8:31 pm Reply with quote
George_in_UK

Hi Shrek2210

Thanks very much.

How old are your kids? Did it take them long to adjust to the Greek school? I've 4 young boys, and we're putting our older 2 boys into the village school in Pervolia. They are 9 and 6, and we're a little worried as they can't speak any Greek. But all advice has been to put them into the local school. We'll see how it goes I guess.

Kind regards

George

Post: #19   PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 4:31 am Reply with quote
Andrew Brooks

George_in_UK wrote:
Hi Shrek2210

Thanks very much.

How old are your kids? Did it take them long to adjust to the Greek school? I've 4 young boys, and we're putting our older 2 boys into the village school in Pervolia. They are 9 and 6, and we're a little worried as they can't speak any Greek. But all advice has been to put them into the local school. We'll see how it goes I guess.

Kind regards

George

Hi George
Unless it is an exceptionally well organised state school, they will probably not learn much other than pick up the language for a couple of years. Don't get me wrong, as it will be a great advantage to learn the language but my advice would be to purchase some basic literacy and numeracy workbooks for their respective ages in the uk, so that they can progress in out of school time, of which there is plenty.
The alternative would be to send them to somewhere like the Med Junior in Larnaca, which has a good, English curriculum, junior department. They learn conversational Greek there as part of the curriculum.It is a fee paying school but you dentists aren't usually short of a bob or two.
Why are so many South Africans dentists ? I know a few in England [Tring] not far from you.
dentist in orklini 
Post: #20   PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 4:52 am Reply with quote
shrek2210

hi george

my children are 6 and 2.my daughter had completed first year at uk school when we moved over.she had no greek before she came.we arranged a greek lesson for her the day after we arrived(brilliant teacher in frenaros who she still sees weekly,i can give you her contact details if you want)3 days after we arrived she started in the local greek school,we felt if we wanted to live in cyprus she should,and so should all the family,mix and intergrate with the locals.the first week was strange for her but by the second week she was fine.she has now completed her first year and loves it.my 2 year old son goes to a local greek nursery and he also is picking up greek.
i can go into more detail if you would like in a private email rather than writing a novel on your posting.just let me know.
DENTIST required? Oroklini? 
  Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » Doctors / Hospitals / Health & Medicines