Not A Member Yet? See All The Features Of The Forum By Clicking Here To Register For FREE! Or Members Login Below:

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Cyprus Eastern Forum Index
Offering Free Help, Advice, Tips & Support for those buying or living in:
Paralimni - Protaras - Pernera - Kapparis - Agia Napa - Larnaca - Oroklini - Pervolia - Kiti - Xylofagou
Vrysoulles - Frenaros - Dherynia - Sotira - Agia Thekla - Liopetri - Ormidia & surrounding areas...

Main Homepage Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Register Directory Memberlist Search

Ads By Forum Sponsors  

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » Doctors / Hospitals / Health & Medicines » Healthcare on reaching 65.
Healthcare on reaching 65. 
Post: #1   PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 8:17 am Reply with quote
WelshExpat
Pictures: 0

Hi All,

A long time since my last post but I've spent time lurking!!

Time to now ask a question of you knowledgeable folk. When my wife and I came to live in Cyprus 4+ years ago I came as an Expat working overseas. I paid my Class 3 NI contributions annually and was classed as not UK resident for tax purposes. Consequently I arrived without the relevant 'E' card or EHIC as I believe it is now called.

My wife (below retirement age) and I are both in possession of our new/revised yellow slips and I would like to know if, and if so what, health benefits I am entitle to when I turn 65 in a few months time.

Thanks,
Ken

Hide These Ads? Register for Free or Login

Post: #2   PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:11 am Reply with quote
trevnhil

Hi Ken.
I believe that when you are 65 and /or your wife is 60 you are entitled to a pink medical card. A pink one denotes that you are entitled to Free treatment at the government hospitals on the Island. If you reach 65 and your wife would not be 60 she should be covered as a dependant.

The question in my mind is that I believe you need a form from the UK when you apply for the medical card. Maybe someone else can expand upon that.

Also it is not clear from your post whether you live in Cyprus or Indonisia??
Regards. Trev..
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Post: #3   PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 12:53 pm Reply with quote
WelshExpat

Hi Trev,
Thanks for your reply which more or less confirms my understanding.

I hope someone can expand further on what form is required. I've read the brochure Health Care in Cyprus under EU Regulations and nothing fits my situation.

The form E111 and the EHIC are inappropriate for me and the E121 is for a Pensioner coming to Cyprus, not for someone becoming a pensioner in Cyprus. I thought the E111 and EHIC were only valid for a year so even if I initially had one, after 4 years in Cyprus it would be invalid.

I hope someone on the Forum has turned 65 whilst resident in Cyprus and are able to provide more info.

For clarification Trev. As stated in my initial posting, my wife and are are resident in Cyprus. I am presently coming to the end of a temporary contract in Indonesia.

Thanks and best regards,
Ken

Post: #4   PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 1:41 pm Reply with quote
trevnhil

Hi again Ken.
Whilst your situation will not be unique, it does seem to present some problems.

In the circumstances I would pay a visit to one of the Citizen Service Centers..

http://www.mof.gov.cy/mof/mof.nsf/DMLkep_en/DMLkep_en?OpenDocument

We have been to the one in Polis, and the one in Limassol for different things and they seem very helpful.

Regards. Trev..
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Post: #5   PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 2:48 pm Reply with quote
roods

Ken,
I have many friends who have become pensioners after moving to Cyprus and have obtained the E121 and are now part of the Cyprus Healthcare system. I presume you will qualify for a UK pension when you reach 65. You need to contact the Centre for non Residents in the UK as well.

Post: #6   PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 2:51 pm Reply with quote
chubbycheeks

If you have paid NI in the UK you will (until you turn 65) be able to ask for a form E106 from the UK. This will be enough - along with your yellow form - to get you the pink medical card.

The E106 will run out on you 65th birthday but the UK will then send a E121 which takes over your cover.

Regardless of age your wife should be covered as your spouse.

Look up the E106 & E121 on the govt sites. www.dwp.gov.uk

HTH

Ruth

Post: #7   PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 1:13 am Reply with quote
WelshExpat

Thanks to all of you who responded to my post.

I am as a result much better informed.

Cheers
Ken

Post: #8   PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 3:51 pm Reply with quote
lecky

I became of pension age in february and elected to have the state pension paid over here in Cyprus.The E121 was sent automatically when the pension started.You take this to the state hospital and this is sent to Nicosia and you receive in return your pink card for you and your spouse.

Les

Hide These Ads? Register for Free or Login

Healthcare on reaching 65. 
  Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » Doctors / Hospitals / Health & Medicines