Not A Member Yet? See All The Features Of The Forum By Clicking Here To Register For FREE! Or Members Login Below:

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Cyprus Eastern Forum Index
Offering Free Help, Advice, Tips & Support for those buying or living in:
Paralimni - Protaras - Pernera - Kapparis - Agia Napa - Larnaca - Oroklini - Pervolia - Kiti - Xylofagou
Vrysoulles - Frenaros - Dherynia - Sotira - Agia Thekla - Liopetri - Ormidia & surrounding areas...

Main Homepage Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Register Directory Memberlist Search

Ads By Forum Sponsors  

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » Cypriot Recipes & Music » Puff Pastry?
Puff Pastry? 
Post: #1   PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 1:15 pm Reply with quote
Jinty
Pictures: 0

Is there a Cyprus equivalent of Puff Pastry?

It's too warm to make it (as if I could! Surprised ), and it is very expensive to buy the British make.

Cheers,
Jinty

Erm, can't think of anything...........
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Hide These Ads? Register for Free or Login

Post: #2   PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 11:09 am Reply with quote
AskCy
Pictures: 18

Filo ? Phylo ? and I'd guess most of the larger supermarkets will stock the Uk type frozen premade packs.... I know in Orphandies that we saw some "farm foods" products in one of the freezers !!

Post: #3   PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 11:58 am Reply with quote
Jan
Pictures: 5

Hi Jinty,

I have a nice Cypriot cookery book of recipes and it states to use "fyllo Pastry" for all pie dishes.

For instance. Spinach and Cheese Pie

500gr. fyllo pastry
1 1/2 kilos spinach
1 cup dill and parsley finely chopped
1 cup spring onions finely chopped
1 medium onion grated
2 eggs
200 gr Greek feta cheese, thickly cut
1 cup olive oil.
salt and pepper
Wash and cut spinach and put in saucepan without water and heat to wilt
Drain. Brown and dry spring onions in same pan with olive oil and then add spinach, dill parsley, salt and pepper and continue to brown for a while.
Remove from heat and while cooling grease a baking pan and put down half of the fyllo pastry dribbling olve oil on each piece. Add feta cheese and beaten eggs to filling, put in baking pan and cover with the other half of the fyllo pastry rubbing in the olive oil as before.
Trim the excess fyllo pastry, carve surface of pie into squares, brush oil over entire surface and bake.
Cooking time 40 minutes.

Post: #4   PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:05 pm Reply with quote
AskCy
Pictures: 18

Jan I think its the actual pastry recipe/product that is needed though...

I did watch Mama Kouzina while we were there and someone he (the young happy presenter) went to see was making phylo type pastry .... she was about 90 and looked like she could do it in her sleep.... she added flour, oil and such and then did a lot of rolling with a thin rolling pin (more like a 3 foot length of thick doweling) on a large table until it was paper thin (how she didn't rip it or have it stick I'll never know), she did a lot of brushing with oil and folding over and re-rolling and then used it to build up layers each with a brushing of oil between them until enough layers had been put down before adding the filling, then similar on top...... (can't be more helpfull as I don't speak Greek and was only really able to watch)

Post: #5   PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 3:01 pm Reply with quote
beersmaggie
Pictures: 0

JusRoll puff pastry was 2-41 in Elamos yesterday.......Maggie Larnaca
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel
Puff Pastry? 
  Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » Cypriot Recipes & Music